• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2007

farnham

Banned
Capcom can port anything.. they ported SF Alpha II on SFC for example.. also they ported RE4 on PS2 against the will of its developer... its the money that matters for capcom and looking at RE4 Wii edition sales i could see it beeing ported to Wii.. Ofcourse the graphix will suffer.. But Re4 esque graphics would be fine for me (Ill probably get the 360 version and the Wii version if that happens)

Everdred

AzureNightmareXE said:
ft3eygk.gif
brilliant

Threi

notag
Make one RE on PS3/360 that is essential to the storyline - call it RE5 if you wish
Make one RE on Wii that is essential to the storyline - call it RE5 if you wish

want the entire storyline correct? Buy both.

That is my ideal solution.

No need for whiny bitchy fanboys saying "I WANT IT ALL WITH HD" or "I WANT IT ALL WITH WAGGLE!"

HokieJoe

haunts said:
Yeah I agree, and considering the same people who would buy Sigma have probably already played it (Ninja Gaiden on Xbox) to begin with at some point. I just dont see people -rushing- out to buy that game.

With that being said it was sold out in most stores in Union Square here in San Francisco when I went to find it a week or two ago... Not that it means much but I guess we should wait to see July numbers before we really know for sure.

I figured one reason that NGS would sell pretty well because of the relative dearth of good PS3 games to play. I don't know that NGS is a AAA title in terms of marketing, but it damn sure is a AAA game in terms of quality. Of course, it doesn't matter how good the product is, if no one knows about it, it won't sell.

Sharp said:
Possibly because you're crazy? Both are big, flagship titles for their developers and the PS3 itself, both are published by Sony, and both have lots of first-party money invested in them. The same holds true for Gears of War, though this time it's Microsoft funding it and the 360 that's receiving the games. That said, since all the games mentioned are published by Microsoft or Sony, they're technically first party games and as such shouldn't really be compared to titles like Zack and Wiki. But titles like Dead Rising and MGS4 can.

Yeah. And let me add one more thing: Square-Enix will be likely, the biggest supporter of Nintendo, as they have been with the DS. Why ?
Because they are the most dependent of Japan. Simply third parties like Capcom or Konami are very west-oriented developers (or at least lot more then otehr japanese developers) and they can shift their objectives to the west, supporting, as much as they can, both X360 and PS3 (but, of course, exceptions are possible).
Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Davil May Cry, Monster Hunter are franchise appreciated overall by western audience. This means that they can still ignore the Wii as long as the west will remains partly and enough in the hands or Microsoft and Sony combined.

Square-Enix is a lot more limited in that sense, because they have only ONE BIG franchise that sell well in the west: Final Fantasy. But, this alone, is not eough and they have to support Nintendo's consoles to survive. THIS explain Dragon Quest IX on DS. THIS explain FF XIII still on PS3. THIS explain why, mark my words, Draqon Quest X will remain on DS or shift on Wii.

Namco-Bandai, is another story: they're in the same situation, because their games are overall typical for japanese audience, but their support for the DS and the Wii is increasing only recently. Why ?
Because of the PS2 (Two, not three :)). Look at many recent anime- or robot-based games that shipped on PS2: they still sold lots of copies. But the mighty PS2 will not last forever and so, they have no choice since the majority of their games is not for the west: support the Wii and DS. THIS explain the decision to make the DS the main console for the "Tales of" series.
Note: this process is anyway a lot slower the it has been with Square-Enix, because there is another factor that slow down the passage to Nintendo's platforms: the PSP. THIS explain the n-ports of "Tales of" games on this handheld.

Well, these were my thought.

Ah, the final conclusion is that Third parties will do ALL their possible to prevent another decade of Nintendo's domination.

Terrell said:
So yeah, once again, not saying it's going to happen, but what's the harm of porting it to Wii after the initial release if necessary? The only thing it looks to harm is NeoGAF's pride. And boo-f'ing-ho to that.
PSP games don't disappoint and then get remade as DS games. DC games didn't disappoint and then get remade as PS1 games. This is something that just hasn't happened, so why should it all of a sudden seem like something that might happen with this particular game?

farnham said:
Capcom can port anything.. they ported SF Alpha II on SFC for example.. also they ported RE4 on PS2 against the will of its developer... its the money that matters for capcom and looking at RE4 Wii edition sales i could see it beeing ported to Wii.. Ofcourse the graphix will suffer.. But Re4 esque graphics would be fine for me (Ill probably get the 360 version and the Wii version if that happens)

I think people are getting a bit ahead of themselves.

RE4 Wii has sold decent for a 2+ year old port at $30, but Lost Planet sold about 250k more in about the same timeframe (from Jan NPD) at twice the price (or more, since the LE sold pretty well as well). Its sales aren't THAT amazing, even with all the caveats thrown out in this thread.

Thus far, Capcom hasn't shown any indication that they care about Japanese sales for any franchise outside of Monster Hunter, so I'm sure paltry Japanese PS3 sales they get for RE5 (500k range) will tide them over.

Terrell

JoshuaJSlone said:
PSP games don't disappoint and then get remade as DS games. DC games didn't disappoint and then get remade as PS1 games. This is something that just hasn't happened, so why should it all of a sudden seem like something that might happen with this particular game?
Different situations, different markets. Why bring Code Veronica to PS1 after disappointing sales on DC when PS2 was already released? And the PSP-to-DS situation is tough to gauge, since most of the titles from major 3rd-parties have been ports, and if they weren't ports, they were Monster Hunter titles that actually sold. Name me one big-ticket 3rd-party franchise on PSP that wasn't a port that bombed on PSP. Problem is there's been next to none.
And yeah, a console as underpowered as Wii when compared to the competition hasn't happened, either, so maybe we need to consider that there are too many unknowns to have a stable precedent in regards to this.
And you didn't answer the original question anyways... what's the harm in Capcom doing something like that? You only posited reasons it won't happen, which isn't really for any of us to say, given the market situation we're in.

fernoca

JoshuaJSlone said:
Well that depends..
They (Capcom) ported Code Veronica from DC to PS2 to maximize sales...same with RE4, though at least they announced the PS2 port before porting it, which for many was a bad move...

Also the recent PSP to PS2 ports like GTA Liberty City Stories (though that sold a million on the PSP), Vice City Stories (which was announced/ported faster than Liberty City), Syphon Filter, etc.....

It happened before, but as always it depends on the developer...Capcom was willing to cut corners to release the RE4 game on the PS2, so who knows what else might happen..they have already expressed interest in remaking the old games on Wii and that RE5 on Wii depends on the current Wii games/sales...and Capcom, so only time will tell.

Talamius

fernoca said:
It happened before, but as always it depends on the developer...Capcom was willing to cut corners to release the RE4 game on the PS2, so who knows what else might happen..they have already expressed interest in remaking the old games on Wii and that RE5 on Wii depends on the current Wii games/sales...and Capcom, so only time will tell.

The only previous game I'd buy remade RE4 style would be RE2. RE2 is BEGGING for it. I was never that crazy about 3 to begin with and 1 has already been remade to death.

Why are people still acting as though Capcom makes rational decisions about which systems to put their games on? Seriously, Capcom's been one of my favorite developers since the NES age but they're batshit insane when it comes to everyday business.

Dreamcast? PSP? Gamecube? I'm not saying that they shouldn't have given them support and I personally purchased most of those exclusives but they have a history of giving focus to systems that don't warrant that kind of attention.

They seem to hate money. Stop pretending that they'll do things that make perfect sense.

Saint Gregory said:
Why are people still acting as though Capcom makes rational decisions about which systems to put their games on? Seriously, Capcom's been one of my favorite developers since the NES age but they're batshit insane when it comes to everyday business.

Dreamcast? PSP? Gamecube? I'm not saying that they shouldn't have given them support and I personally purchased most of those exclusives but they have a history of giving focus to systems that don't warrant that kind of attention.

They seem to hate money. Stop pretending that they'll do things that make perfect sense.

Read my posts. (this and in the other page.)

Terrell

Saint Gregory said:

Ahhh yes, how could I forget the "Capcom Curse"? Yeah, never mind, they'd rather bankrupt themselves on PS3 than actually make a good financial choice.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
From the sounds of things, RE5 is still 2 years away (maybe more). Why is there so much discussion about that game? The game is too old and too far away to be used as any measure of Capcom's current support for each platform.

RE4 Wii sales are very good. There is no way to downplay that without implying that all 3rd party sales sucked last month. It's going to demolish Capcom's expectations and that will only help the Wii's image in their eyes.

I love Mithos' definition of third party! It makes a 3rd party Wii game the top selling game of the month.

Sho_Nuff82 said:

RE4 Wii has sold decent for a 2+ year old port at $30, but Lost Planet sold about 250k more in about the same timeframe (from Jan NPD) at twice the price (or more, since the LE sold pretty well as well). Its sales aren't THAT amazing, even with all the caveats thrown out in this thread..

Wow, so a port of a 2 year old game didnt sell as well as a brand new game...

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Read my posts. (this and in the other page.)

That wasn't directed at you, just the people wondering why RE5 isn't on Wii or why Okami and K7 haven't
yet
been ported to Wii. They're having great luck with their 360 titles but given their track record of late you have to believe that can't be because of a lot of forethought on their part.

Given the type of games they make the fact that they're practically ignoring the DS still boggles my mind.

01. NDS Pokemon Diamond Version
02. Wii Play w/ Remote
03. NDS Pokemon Pearl Version
04. PS2 God of War II
05. PS2 Guitar Hero 2 w/ Guitar
06. 360 Guitar Hero 2 w/ Guitar
07. Wii Mario Party 8
08. 360 Crackdown
09. NDS Diddy Kong Racing
10. Wii Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

I had no idea Diddy Kong Racing was doing this well. Awesome :D

Sho_Nuff82 said:
If it had, it might warrant some of this rampant "Capcom is stupid if they don't port RE5 to the Wii" talk.

The amount this 2 year old game is selling now on Wii does already warrant the "rampant".

Link316

Banned
Saint Gregory said:

Capcom's increase their profits & revenues the past couple of years so lets just say that they know more about running their business than you do

Kosma

Banned
As far as RE5 goes (I just finished RE4 tonight for the first time) I'd love to see it on the Wii, but if Capcom doesn't do it...it won't be the end of the world. Can't wait for 5 now, 4 was AWESOME.

KachoMakura said:
I had no idea Diddy Kong Racing was doing this well. Awesome :D

Well DKR is awesome so it's only fair. Imho it was always superior to Mario Kart as far as single player goes anyway.

Saint Gregory said:

The fact that they are currently throwing tons of support at the 360 (the market leader) shows they've learned a lot from past mistakes. I fully expect them to throw their weight behind the Wii aswell. They've already got 1 RE game plus 2 more coming on the system. That's unheard of this early in the game.

Sho_Nuff82 said:

RE4 Wii has sold decent for a 2+ year old port at $30, but Lost Planet sold about 250k more in about the same timeframe (from Jan NPD) at twice the price (or more, since the LE sold pretty well as well). Its sales aren't THAT amazing, even with all the caveats thrown out in this thread.

I'm not too sure but I think Lost Planet had more days out in the market for its first NPD.

Cheebs

KachoMakura said:
The fact that they are currently throwing tons of support at the 360 (the market leader) shows they've learned a lot from past mistakes. I fully expect them to throw their weight behind the Wii aswell. They've already got 1 RE game plus 2 more coming on the system. That's unheard of this early in the game.
360...the market leader?

Kosma

Banned
KachoMakura said:
They've already got 1 RE game plus 2 more coming on the system. That's unheard of this early in the game.

Which 2 more? Did I miss something? I thought Capcom was making RE:UC and that's it.

Jamesfrom818 said:
I'm not too sure but I think Lost Planet had more days out in the market for its first NPD.

Also it was Lost Planets first release, while this is RE4's 3rd outing already.

Link316 said:
Capcom's increase their profits & revenues the past couple of years so lets just say that they know more about running their business than you do

You're right, my bad. It makes perfect business sense to not pay attention to the best selling game device in your HOME COUNTRY. I really should just defer to their wisdom, I'm just their consumer after all.

Innotech

Banned
Saint Gregory said:
You're right, my bad. It makes perfect business sense to not pay attention to the best selling game device in your HOME COUNTRY. I really should just defer to their wisdom, I'm just their consumer after all.

actually, Zack and wiki completely went against my expectations. Its one of my most anticipated titles of the year. I really didnt expect such a quality title from Capcom so soon (Im serious)

KachoMakura said:

Don't get me wrong, I was just saying that they threw a lot of big support behind the 360 when they couldn't have been sure that it would do as well as it has. Their last system sold terribly in Japan (and the 360 is doing worse) and the most of us thought the PS3 was going to blow it out of the water in the US and Europe.

I'd like to think that they're smarter than all of us but as I said their track record says otherwise.

oo Kosma oo said:
Which 2 more? Did I miss something? I thought Capcom was making RE:UC and that's it.

My bad just looked it up. For some reason I thought the light gun game and RE:UC were seperate games. RE4 Wii is already out, so that makes 2 RE games then.

Innotech said:
actually, Zack and wiki completely went against my expectations. Its one of my most anticipated titles of the year. I really didnt expect such a quality title from Capcom so soon (Im serious)

Occasionally they sober up long enough to do something like that ;)

fernoca

KachoMakura said:
If I'm not mistaken 360 has the largest marketshare, isn't that how the market leader is defined?
In some way yeah,..at least global numbers...but..
Most of the Xbox 360s are in the US (over 5 million of them) and the rest are divided between Europe, Asia and the rest of the world..

The Wii at the moment has similar numbers across all regions..a little more balanced and is just behind the 360 by around 1 million units..

Speevy said:
The Xbox 360 will not have that distinction in about a month.

Not worldwide but they will be in the lead in US sales for at least another six months.

Microsoft might as well ride high until then.

edit: In fact, with the right price cuts they really could hold off the Wii in the USA for some time. Worldwide is a wash though.

BTW when was the last time we got solid 360 numbers for Europe?

GhaleonEB

Saint Gregory said:
Not worldwide but they will be in the lead in US sales for at least another six months.

Microsoft might as well ride high until then.

edit: In fact, with the right price cuts they really could hold off the Wii in the USA for some time. Worldwide is a wash though.
At the current rate, it will take the Wii just over a year to catch the 360 in the US. Depending what MS does with price and holiday sales, that could be longer. I think it will happen eventually, though.

I'd like to ask a question on the topic of "3rd party games don't sell on the Wii".

What 3rd party games have not sold as well as they should have on the Wii?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Leondexter said:
I'd like to ask a question on the topic of "3rd party games don't sell on the Wii".

Bingo

Haunted

Leondexter said:

Eledees/bits is the only quality game that bombed that comes to mind.

Of course, quality games like RE4 should sell a bajillion copies, but you know how it is.

papercut

GhaleonEB said:
At the current rate, it will take the Wii just over a year to catch the 360 in the US. Depending what MS does with price and holiday sales, that could be longer. I think it will happen eventually, though.

Considering that the Wii is supply constrained, all it would take is an increase in production to negate the effect of a 360 price drop. Of course, ramping up production isn't easy and takes time, but hopefully Nintendo will be prepared for the holidays.

Then again, it's Nintendo.

AniHawk

Leondexter said:

Very true. The Wii has no good games.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Haunted One said:
Eledees/bits is the only quality game that bombed that comes to mind.

Of course, quality games like RE4 should sell a bajillion copies, but you know how it is.

I don't even think you can really call it a bomb- probably around 250K world wide, doubt it had a big budget, wasn't advertised..

C.T.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Square-Enix is a lot more limited in that sense, because they have only ONE BIG franchise that sell well in the west: Final Fantasy. But, this alone, is not eough and they have to support Nintendo's consoles to survive. THIS explain Dragon Quest IX on DS. THIS explain FF XIII still on PS3. THIS explain why, mark my words, Draqon Quest X will remain on DS or shift on Wii.

No it doesn't. Sorry, but youre contradicting yourself here. Youre inconsistent with your arguments.

Top Bottom