• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2007

3rdman

Frillen said:
I wonder how many times it has been explained in this thread that Sigma was out for 5 days, 'cause June NPD ended at the 7th of July. Some people must find it hard to read.
Yeah, but how do you account for the horrid Sigma sales!??!!

laserbeam

Banned
3rdman said:

Just wasnt the megaton people hyped? Its just another in a chain of "wait for x title then sales will boom" Its not a bad game by any means but it is just a port with some added content.

AniHawk

I can see where you're coming from. I wouldn't like Capcom to compromise on their vision either. But if they couldn pull of on the Wii , why not?

Because instead of getting one awesome game, we could get two.

fernoca

I kinda think that a version of Resident Evil 5 on Wii..can be done.
I'm not talking about a 100% accurate port..

But more like a version of RE5, running on an updated RE4 engine..with updated textures, character models and lighting effects...it is possible, seeing how Capcom didn't maxed the GCN with RE4..and the Wii a more powerfull than a GameCube...

Plus it was already confirmed that 5 plays kinda similar to 4 (as in the point of view)..only that light and shadows play a more vital role in the gameplay..

oo Kosma oo said:
Yeah but that's all graphic stuff.

If you remade Dead Rising on the Wii it couldn't handle all the zombies on screen I think, so it wouldn't be the same game if you cut their numbers down.

If you remade RE5 with less *sparkzzz* it would still be the same game I seems (so far at least). It's not like crazed villigers have next gen AI or something.

I haven't seen the MGS4 gameplay trailer yet, but I saw some screens from gamersyde and it doesn't seem to be a significantly different game -- though I could be wrong. I think RE5 will add some new elements, but no next-gen sequels seem to be doing anything remarkably different from their predecessors, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if it's not expected anyway.

This gen is showing that the real heavy hitters are the exclusives/new franchises.

Mudhoney

AniHawk said:
I really, really, really hope they keep RE5 PS360 and play to the strengths of those systems. Capcom can make a "Code Veronica" style entry using RE4's engine for the Wii. As long as the design is done as well as RE4's, and the game is polished overall, it should be fine. A watered down RE5 would be a waste of time.
I'm with you on this. I can't shake the feeling that Capcom is using RE4:Wii Edition and RE:UC mostly as Wii market testers though (and to make money, of course). If it does come down to RE5 coming to Wii, I hope they at least don't sacrifice anything in the other versions.

Sharp

mentalfloss said:
I haven't seen the MGS4 gameplay trailer yet, but I saw some screens from gamersyde and it doesn't seem to be a significantly different game -- though I could be wrong. I think RE5 will add some new elements, but no next-gen sequels seem to be doing anything remarkably different from their predecessors, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if it's not expected anyway.

This gen is showing that the real heavy hitters are the exclusives/new franchises.
How is this gen showing that at all? Multiplatform games are in general doing better than exclusive games, unless they're Wii exclusive which is kind of by default. All this gen is showing, more than ever before, is that price matters. A lot.

sphinx

the piano man
Speevy said:
You mean RE4 graphics? Because RE5 isn't simply RE4 in high definition. It's pretty far from any Gamecube game. Geometry, textures/shaders, lighting, etc.

Capcom had no problem downgrading RE4 to make it appear on PS2. There was less of everything: Trees, enemies, less bloom, less detailed textures. Sure, the downgrade from NGC to PS2 isn't as big as a downgrade from PS3 to Wii, but we don't know how far capcom would go in search of money. Another difference os that by the time RE4 for PS2 was announced, capcom was ABSOLUTELY sure the game had no chance of getting big sales as a gamecube only title.

My guess is that, so far, Capcom thinks the 360 - PS3 combo will be enough to reach the level of success they want. After all, 3rd party sales on 360 are great everywhere outside Asia.

The only question is Japan. I am not sure how much capcom cares about RE5 succeding in Japan because the only way for it to succeed is to put it on Wii, there's no way around that.

I think capcom has also realized by now that HD gaming is a small niche of the market. If they are making RE5 a powerhouse technical game from the beginning, I am sure they are aware of the implications.

I don't think we'll see a RE5 port on wii, as much as I'd like that.

Haunted

oo Kosma oo said:
Seeing how well RE4 Wii make is (and the Wii in general) is it too far fetched to think RE5 will come too Wii using the RE4 engine?

Before you say that the Wii wouldn't handle it...it's not like RE5 has as many enemies on screen as Dead Rising or something (as far as we have seen), so besides the HD visuals the game could be done on Wii it seems. Either way I'll be playing it...but it's in Capcoms nature to port stuff, plus I'd rather play RE5 with Wii controls then with the 360/PS3 pad (or on PC with mouse + HD graphics).
*paging MFauli, paging MFauli*

Of course I'd love to see RE5 on a console I own, but I think it just won't happen. Isn't Harry Potter on Wii identical to its next-gen brethren (using the 360/PS3 engine), just scaled down in resolution and with lower-res textures, less shading, etc.? It certainly sounds feasible to do something like that - but again, I very much doubt it would happen.

heh, when I think about Capcom porting something to Wii, I always think of Okami first anyway. :p

EktorPR

Haunted One said:
heh, when I think about Capcom porting something to Wii, I always think of Okami first anyway. :p

Yeah...why hasn't Capcom bothered porting Okami to the Wii? Is it because Clover Studios disbanded and they don't have an additional team to do it? Or perhaps sheer ignorance?

laserbeam

Banned
EktorPR said:
Yeah...why hasn't Capcom bothered porting Okami to the Wii? Is it because Clover Studios disbanded and they don't have an additional team to do it? Or perhaps sheer ignorance?

Or its in progress and they havent said anything public <.<

AniHawk

EktorPR said:

The game bombed pretty bad. I don't think they want to give it another effort in the hopes that it might do well.

Innotech

Banned
Okami port to Wii seriously makes both financial and gameplay sense. the pointer would be infinitely better than the analog on Ps2. I struggled a lot with certain shapes and attacks because of that damned controller. If the Wii would make it easier, and make money for Capcom AND expand the audience that can play Okami, I say go for it.

AniHawk

Innotech said:
Okami port to Wii seriously makes both financial and gameplay sense. the pointer would be infinitely better than the analog on Ps2. I struggled a lot with certain shapes and attacks because of that damned controller. If the Wii would make it easier, and make money for Capcom AND expand the audience that can play Okami, I say go for it.

As far as gameplay goes, Kamiya said that it wouldn't work because Okami is more action-centric or something. Then again, Kamiya's a hack so I guess no one should pay attention to a damn thing he says.

Innotech

Banned
AniHawk said:
As far as gameplay goes, Kamiya said that it wouldn't work because Okami is more action-centric or something. Then again, Kamiya's a hack so I guess no one should pay attention to a damn thing he says.
having owned and played the game, I am quite sure the wii would be able to pull off the gameplay and improve on it. the game pauses anyway to let you paint stuff.

Foil

oo Kosma oo said:
Seeing how well RE4 Wii make is (and the Wii in general) is it too far fetched to think RE5 will come too Wii using the RE4 engine?

Before you say that the Wii wouldn't handle it...it's not like RE5 has as many enemies on screen as Dead Rising or something (as far as we have seen), so besides the HD visuals the game could be done on Wii it seems. Either way I'll be playing it...but it's in Capcoms nature to port stuff, plus I'd rather play RE5 with Wii controls then with the 360/PS3 pad (or on PC with mouse + HD graphics).

No thanks. Capcom needs to leave the new RE games like RE5, RE6, etc, to PS3/360/PC. So they can really max out those systems and push the series forward as much as it can. When the next Wii console comes along in the next gen it can get ports of those games.

For Wii, they need to re-release (at budget prices) REmake and RE0 with waggle control, and the RE4 camera as an option. When I say option, I mean make it so that a player can choose to play the games with either the classic fixed cameras or the RE4 behind the back camera. Please both camps with one game. After that, they need to remake RE2, RE3, and RE:CV for the Wii in the same style. That way we'll have the complete collection remade on one console, outside of the new games. Once that's done, they can take an upgraded RE4 engine and create a brand new spin off game for the Wii.

Downgrading the hell out of RE5 to fit on the Wii is a stupid idea. It's better if Wii gets it's own game, so we can have more from the series. If you don't own a PS3 or 360, too bad buy one or miss out on the game. The more RE games the better, imo. People need to stop all this annoying ass whining about RE5 on Wii.

Innotech

Banned
Foil said:
No thanks. Capcom needs to leave the new RE games like RE5, RE6, etc, to PS3/360/PC. So they can really max out those systems and push the series forward as much as it can. When the next Wii console comes along in the next gen it can get ports of those games.

For Wii, they need to re-release (at budget prices) REmake and RE0 with waggle control, and the RE4 camera as an option. When I say option, I mean make it so that a player can choose to play the games with either the classic fixed cameras or the RE4 behind the back camera. Please both camps with one game. After that, they need to remake RE2, RE3, and RE:CV for the Wii in the same style. That way we'll have the complete collection remade on one console, outside of the new games. Once that's done, they can take an upgraded RE4 engine and create a brand new spin off game for the Wii.

Downgrading the hell out of RE5 to fit on the Wii is a stupid idea. It's better if Wii gets it's own game, so we can have more from the series. If you don't own a PS3 or 360, too bad buy one or miss out on the game. The more RE games the better, imo. People need to stop all this annoying ass whining about RE5 on Wii.

I think Capcom should go the same way Sega did and make two similar but unrelated games under the RE brand. It wouldnt have to be called RE5 just play like it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Foil said:

Good post

AniHawk

Foil said:

This is actually dumber than the watering-down-RE5 idea.

Those games have been milked to death. Let's move on.

Foil said:

Thats the dumbest post I've ever read and we are all stupider for reading it.

Haunted One said:

Of course I'd love to see RE5 on a console I own, but I think it just won't happen. Isn't Harry Potter on Wii identical to its next-gen brethren (using the 360/PS3 engine), just scaled down in resolution and with lower-res textures, less shading, etc.? It certainly sounds feasible to do something like that - but again, I very much doubt it would happen.

Agree. And considered hoy badly Okami bombed, it would be the first thing Capcom should have thought.

oo Kosma oo said:
Yeah but that's all graphic stuff.

If you remade Dead Rising on the Wii it couldn't handle all the zombies on screen I think, so it wouldn't be the same game if you cut their numbers down.
It is disappointing that though certain things were improved, the frame buffer and zombie cache were left unchanged from GameCube.
If you remade RE5 with less *sparkzzz* it would still be the same game I seems (so far at least). It's not like crazed villigers have next gen AI or something.

I can see where you're coming from. I wouldn't like Capcom to compromise on their vision either. But if they couldn pull of on the Wii , why not? As long as it doesn't compromise the game making process that is.
But for putting in all that effort to completely redo everything... why not build something new instead, and have it sell better than a late downgraded remake?
Haunted One said:
In that case, though, it was made that way from the start. Not built as something taking advantage of X360/PS3 then downgraded for Wii.

BuzzJive

You know - being a developer myself - I try not to get any joy in seeing games tank. BUT, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody for not purchasing Shadowrun. A $60 Multiplayer only game is not something I'd like to see become a standard. Microsoft was greedy for charging full price and they paid for it.

(Yes - it was #16 in May - releasing on 5/29 - but it's gone now...)

fernoca

I don't know why many find the idea of a possible port of RE5 on the Wii as too crazy or impossible..Is not like Capcom is going to scrap the PS3 and 360 version and restart the game only on the Wii..is about releasing the game on the 3 main consoles, at the same time...

More like the 'EA route' in any case..
EA is releasing Madden on Wii, 360, PS3 and NDS this year...same game yet..the Wii and NDS versions are completely different, compared to the PS3/360 versions...many companies has been doing the same for years..so is not that impossible...

That way, everyone would be pleased....and is a lot better than what Capcom has been doing lately of releasing RE games..across different consoles...during different months/ years, instead of releasing all the versions together.

Innotech

Banned
BuzzJive said:
You know - being a developer myself - I try not to get any joy in seeing games tank. BUT, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody for not purchasing Shadowrun. A $60 Multiplayer only game is not something I'd like to see become a standard. Microsoft was greedy for charging full price and they paid for it.

(Yes - it was #16 in May - releasing on 5/29 - but it's gone now...)

a similar failed game (different genre) was Need for speed motor City, later renamed to motor city Online. It tanked like a trench full of Panzers.

Karakand

Innotech said:
having owned and played the game, I am quite sure the wii would be able to pull off the gameplay and improve on it. the game pauses anyway to let you paint stuff.
DEVELOPER DUZNT NO WUT HES TALKING ABOOT DUR

Haunted

AniHawk said:
The game bombed pretty bad. I don't think they want to give it another effort in the hopes that it might do well.
Well, the risk involved would be significantly smaller because of the lower dev costs for a port.

It'd be still a risk, though. But if we're arguing about RE5 ports, or re-re-releases of all the RE games, Okami on Wii still makes the most sense (with Killer7 close behind).

Innotech said:
It tanked like a trench full of Panzers.
I like that one. :lol

3rdman said:

The installed base of the PS2, Wii, and xbox 360 are all so much larger than the PS3 (and all growing faster than the PS3) that no PS3 title stands much of a chance of getting up on the NPD charts now. Unless things change significantly, I think the only PS3 titles that make the top 10 will be megaton exclusives like MGS 4, Final Fantasy, and GT5.

Luckyman

Banned
sphinx said:
RE4 sold in the same time frame (5 days) almost double the sales of ninga gaiden sigma.

Orly? RE4 released June 19.

schuelma said:
It's all people have. I do admit I thought the RE4 sales would shut them up. Like most times in life, I thought wrong.

What percentage of those sales would a full priced RE4 hit? The price point is just sooo much more attractive.

Innotech

Banned
Luckyman said:
Orly? RE4 released June 19.

What percentage of those sales would a full priced RE4 hit? The price point is just sooo much more attractive.

maybe Tecmo should have done the same with ninja Gaiden.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Innotech said:
I see posts on forums about it on July 7th, so probably before.

i guess we can say there's like 150,000 sold in japan (i'm guessing 70k for Japan) + US (60k for US so far) combined right now, plus whatever Europe is (i'd guess probably another 60k)

so if there's like another 100k or so in US then it wouldn't be that bad in comparison to their shipment figures, and all of Europe probably makes up for the rest.

that's the only way i can really rationalize there being 450k shipment for that game.

Foil said:

It's always the same thing we are talking about. Gamers wanna games only on PS3/X360 because of the graphical power of the systems. But editors don't make decision because of what gamers want. Simply, their objective is, and only is, make money. So, what is the best strategy ?
Make games for X360/PS3, with big budgets and high times of developments, or for Wii, with a very soon bigger installed base, lower developments costs and times ?

If we consider only these factors, power or not, the Wii is the best option to make money.

But, as Moku underlined it in another thread, others factors comes in the play: the prejudjement that Third Party games don't sell well on Nintendo's systems because of the dominance of First Party titles, the abysmal historic relationships between Nintendo and Third parties and the convinction that the Wii is still only a fad.
But look at the DS: it sold almost 45 millions worldwide. it is surpassing the SNES. And how BIG games Capcom developed for the handheld ? BIG I mean (in the sense that are potential million sellers) ! You know the answer: none. Instead, they made Monster Hunter Portable 1 & 2 for PSP (nothing wrong with the games, they're absolutely great !) and Dead Rising for X360 and RE5 for both X360/PS3.
The installed base is not a SO big factors for all third parties. Capcom is using all his power to escape from Nintendo's web. They aren't almost developing games specifically for Japan (where Nintendo dominate literally); they're concentrated on the western audience overall and their weak support for the Wii consists only of ports. The only exception is Zack and Wiki. A rare exception.

Remember that even on Gamecube, the decision to make the (in ?)-famous Capcom 5, is a result of a PERSONAL deal between Miyamoto and Shinji Mikami. I'm sure that if it was for Capcom, Nintendo wouldn't have saw a single big game on GC !

So, I'll say you sincerely that I'm not optimistic for the future of the Wii concerning BIG, quality games from third parties. Yeah, this is not true for all developers and there are (and will be) exceptions (zack and Wiki, irony, comes from Capcom, but we cannot define the game "BIG". it's another Okami in term of sales), but don't expect any "WOW" exclusivity on Wii like White Knights, Gear of Wars or Little Big Planet. Seriously, don't; or you'll be disappointed.

But expect big, BIG things from Nintendo and co. !!! That's why I'm favorable to the aquisition of Studios like Monolith Soft: because, even if it's a risk, it's the only way to being sure that the production will have relativity high standard and it will not be shadowed by budgets or lazyness or extern, "decisional" factors.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
So, I'll say you sincerely that I'm not optimistic for the future of the Wii concerning BIG, quality games from third parties. Yeah, this is not true for all developers and there are (and will be) exceptions (zack and Wiki, irony, comes from Capcom, but we cannot define the game "BIG". it's another Okami in term of sales), but don't expect any "WOW" exclusivity on Wii like White Knights, Gear of Wars or Little Big Planet. Seriously, don't; or you'll be disappointed.
I don't see how White Knights or Little Big Planet qualify for ""WOW" exclusivity".

Sharp

The Friendly Monster said:
I don't see how White Knights or Little Big Planet qualify for ""WOW" exclusivity".
Possibly because you're crazy? Both are big, flagship titles for their developers and the PS3 itself, both are published by Sony, and both have lots of first-party money invested in them. The same holds true for Gears of War, though this time it's Microsoft funding it and the 360 that's receiving the games. That said, since all the games mentioned are published by Microsoft or Sony, they're technically first party games and as such shouldn't really be compared to titles like Zack and Wiki. But titles like Dead Rising and MGS4 can.

nategc

Banned
The Friendly Monster said:

yea, i don't think little big planet and white knight gonna go to well at all with the sony crowd besides just theforum hoppers. But ff 13 and metal gear solid is like the ultimate 1 2 punch.

Terrell

Foil said:

Yeah... first of all, RE4 ported was quite enough, don't need another set of ports/retreads of the first 4 games in the series.
And to say "Downgrading the hell out of RE5 to fit on the Wii is a stupid idea"... well, stupid idea for whom? Depending on the title's financial benefit, Capcom might not see it that way. I certainly don't agree with the idea that RE5 should come to Wii right now, but yeah, if by some twist of fate it totally bombs on PS3 and 360, then yes, why not do another version? I mean, if you want the "high-def" version, you'll still be able to get it, so what's the harm in Capcom trying to make the series financially viable if for whatever reason it doesn't turn out to be on PS3 and 360?
So yeah, once again, not saying it's going to happen, but what's the harm of porting it to Wii after the initial release if necessary? The only thing it looks to harm is NeoGAF's pride. And boo-f'ing-ho to that.

nategc

Banned
Sharp said:
Possibly because you're crazy? Both are big, flagship titles for their developers and the PS3 itself, both are published by Sony, and both have lots of first-party money invested in them. The same holds true for Gears of War, though this time it's Microsoft funding it and the 360 that's receiving the games. That said, since all the games mentioned are published by Microsoft or Sony, they're technically first party games and as such shouldn't really be compared to titles like Zack and Wiki. But titles like Dead Rising and MGS4 can.

you know.... i was thinking that too....but the top selling games on the 360 is third party games and SOME first party games. On the ps3, theres nothing...they all selling the same amount. On the wii, its mostly first party. So your logic is kinda flawed but note worthy at best.

Sharp

nategc said:
you know.... i was thinking that too....but the top selling games on the 360 is third party games and SOME first party games. On the ps3, theres nothing...they all selling the same amount. On the wii, its mostly first party. So your logic is kinda flawed but note worthy at best.
Uh what? Microsoft publishes a lot of the "third party" games that top the charts each month. Moreover, I wasn't talking about sales; I was talking about what "wow" exclusivity meant. My criteria had little or nothing to do with sales.

Innotech said:
its not that bad for a port of an older game.

If the sales of RE4 and Sigma were reversed, Nintendo would never hear the end of it.

I don't think we're going to see many Japanese PS3 exclusives released in NA and PAL territories in the near future that aren't published by Sony.

Haunted One said:

Here i am, dude.

and i would love to see RE5 on the Wii.
Really, make it slightly better looking than RE4 (for the most part, higher resolution textures) and the rest should be finde.

Though i´d like to have an upgraded version of Okami as well ;-)

felipeko

nategc said:
You logic is kinda flawed too... This year Halo3 and GTA will eat most of X360 sales, and you know, outside Microsoft and Rockstar the others publishers don't care about those 2 games.
On Nintendo side i see Mario Galaxy and Smash Brothers taking the pie.
So what's the big difference?
Nintendo have no GTA to eat Wii's pie... So who's fault?
Do you really think if we changed the scenario (Wii with X360 support, and X360 with Wii support) Wii wouldn't be a lot better than X360 for 3rd parties?

HokieJoe

AniHawk said:
Oh yeah. I forgot Sigma bombed. Is anyone really surprised though?

I am a bit. It really seems to fit the PS platform. I didn't expect it to be top 10, but it should have sold +100K it seems. Oh well, maybe it will do better in July.

Top Bottom