• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2010

Sipowicz

Banned
[Nintex] said:
What rumors?

i think it was on 1up but there's supposed to be two versions

Retail version(Wii) - full price, no online, SD (natch)

Downloadable version (XBLA/PSN) - budget priced, online, HD

so basically they're ripping you off with the retail version like they did with a certain other game.

edit: sourced for emceegramr. the stuff about online has been garnered from podcasts like the geekbox where they also reconfirmed the XBLA/PSN versions. like i said EA have a track record for these ripoff tactics so it shouldn't come as a surprise at this point

Jonsoncao

Banned
Rocksteady33 said:
I mean look at the 360 and you can see that from an operating system aspect and special features view, the system has actually improved (Netflix, social networking, avatars, ESPN, etc.) and yet we won't pay a higher price for it. While with the DS (the Lite anyway) we're still stuck with a free version of PictoChat... and that's it.

2367515373_515ff7a325.jpg

[Nintex]

Sipowicz said:

so basically they're ripping you off with the retail version like they did with a certain other game.
I don't see the issue here, everyone gets to play the game. I'd rather have a fully featured retail Wii version than a compressed 40mb WiiWare version. You can't blame EA for Nintendo's half assed online services.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
evangd007 said:
Ubisoft at the very least is quite serious. They claim to have 6-8 launch titles for the 3DS and think they can get 30% market share.
Until I see some evidence that their launch line-up games will actually be any good, I'm going to assume they're just churning out shovelware the same way they did for the Wii launch and the entire DS's lifespan.

[Nintex]

Nirolak said:
Until I see some evidence that their launch line-up games will actually be any good, I'm going to assume they're just churning out shovelware the same way they did for the Wii launch and the entire DS's lifespan.
The only worthwhile game from Ubisoft will be the inevitable 3DS version of Rayman Origins and that would be quite awesome.

Sipowicz

Banned
[Nintex] said:
I don't see the issue here, everyone gets to play the game. I'd rather have a fully featured retail Wii version than a compressed 40mb WiiWare version. You can't blame EA for Nintendo's half assed online services.

true. but i can blame them for overcharging for a wii game. Although it's not the first time they've did it, and it certainly wont be the last.

no way i'm buyiing it on the wii at full price. i wont buy it at all if they put the good version on PC

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Why would you despair?

Supporting Tiger is relationship suicide for any guy with a significant other.
Not necessarily "suicide", but the game launched the week before Father's Day. No mom is going to gift it or let their children gift it.

wrowa

[Nintex] said:
But you can nevertheless blame EA for not implementing an online mode and for releasing it at full price. Nothing prevents them from releasing it budget-prized.

Mario said:
Western publishers are scrambling to sign 3DS projects right now. I have not seen publishers so bullish on a new platform for a long time. Western support is going to be huge.

Depends on what kind of games we'll see, it doesn't matter if they're scrambling to get lots of games out for the console if they're all cheap shovelware/spinoff crap. I have my doubts that most western devs and pubs will be willing to put their best feet forward personally, but I'd be glad to be proven otherwise!

Will we be seeing the Bioshocks and Assassin's Creed level of support or Imaginez/Assassin Creed spinoff crap level of support? My bet is on the latter...

Sipowicz said:

Source this now, or is this yet another example of "Sipowicz going crazy and lying about EA like they ran over his dog."

[Nintex]

wrowa said:
But you can nevertheless blame EA for not implementing an online mode and for releasing it at full price. Nothing prevents them from releasing it budget-prized.
Let the consumer decide, when the game is too expensive it'll hit the bargain bins and bomb anyway if not the game is clearly worth its money. The 'value' of games is pretty fucked up anway.

jrricky

Banned
Sipowicz said:
no it wasn't stupid. you just think it's stupid because you saw it as a negative comment about a nintendo system, and that makes you sad :(
I am sorry for you if you think stuff like this will make me sad... I am not a kid anymore. There are more dire things to be sad about in my life.

Also nothing you ever said was reasonable in that thread, because you know what, DS launch and developer enthusaism won't even come close to how 3DS will launch and be received. I don't know if you've been around for Wii and DS announcement days but developers weren't very happy with these systems. Plus in this day and age, handhelds are becoming a huge cash pot. Completely different situations, period!!!

botticus said:
If interest in a golf game is going to end a relationship, I'd consider it more of a mercy killing than suicide.

Aha. You must be one of those people who think women are logical. I was like you once.

Zachack said:
What's the difference between touch-based gameplay and mouse-based gameplay? Examples would be useful.

1. Direct control vs. remote control. Or, if you prefer, controlling a pen vs. controlling a sliding rock. Try playing Kirby Canvas Curse with a stylus and then with a mouse. It's similar, sure, but the stylus is easier. Now try Brain Age. Writing numbers with a mouse sucks.

2. Blocked vision. Your mouse never blocks half the screen.

3. Multi-touch--can't be done with a mouse (or a DS, but still).

4. Buttons. A mouse has them, a stylus doesn't.

If you're looking for a winner, I don't have one to offer you. But they're not the same.

Zachack said:
What's the difference between touch-based gameplay and mouse-based gameplay? Examples would be useful.
With no venom intended whatsoever, I feel that the differences between touch-based gameplay and mouse-based gameplay are fairly obvious, and if you don't see them at first glance, I could write an entire novel and not convince you.

I think you're seeing it in terms of the final result, but there's more to input methods than that, or else Virtua Cop would be just as fun with a mouse as it is with a lightgun. And it's not.

Reilly

TruePrime said:
I can't imagine this stays true when Halo Reach and GT 5 Launch. but then who knows. I just don't expect to RDR legs to stay going nearly as strong as they have the last two months.

Halo: Reach has a shot, but then again it's on one platform. ODST was at 3 million by November.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/104/1045085p1.html

Red Dead will hit 3 million combined by the time Reach comes out. I'd like to think at the end of December it could have moved another million put it up to 4. I think the head start, plus being multiplatform, will have it win out in the end.

Taking only first week sales of NCAA Football 11 and splitting it between the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, it's 52%(360) versus 48%(PS3).

Quite different from the 2 to 1 gaps we see from titles like Red Dead and Call of Duty.

Beth Cyra

Reilly said:
Halo: Reach has a shot, but then again it's on one platform. ODST was at 3 million by November.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/104/1045085p1.html

Red Dead will hit 3 million combined by the time Reach comes out. I'd like to think at the end of December it could have moved another million put it up to 4. I think the head start, plus being multiplatform, will have it win out in the end.

Maybe but that is only if Reach does ODST type numbers and not 3's. As it stands this is the last Bungie Halo and I am willing to be they give this the 3 type treatment for the most part and if they and it works, then I don't see RDR winning.

Now if it is more in line with how they treated ODST well then yeah I guess RDR could beat it out.

fernoca

EmCeeGramr said:
Source this now, or is this yet another example of "Sipowicz going crazy and lying about EA like they ran over his dog."
Probably.
Heck, I think the rumor started here, when someone posted that NBA Jam was submitted to be rated and it was listed for PS3 and Xbox 360..and people here just by that assumed that:
  • It was a downloadable PSNetwork/Xbox Live Arcade game
  • For $15.00
  • Wii version offline
...just by a rating...
Then other websites reported about it...

donny2112

fernoca said:
...just by a rating...
Then other websites reported about it...

Yeah. EA needs to refund Nintendo their check for timed exclusivity (assuming there was one, but why else would EA make it a timed exclusive?), and launch all three at the same time. $50 Wii/PS3/360 or maybe $50 Wii/$60 PS3/360.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
donny2112 said:
Yeah. EA needs to refund Nintendo their check for timed exclusivity (assuming there was one, but why else would EA make it a timed exclusive?), and launch all three at the same time. $50 Wii/PS3/360 or maybe $50 Wii/$60 PS3/360.
Timed exclusivity just never seems to work out for Nintendo, does it?

jeremy1456 said:
But the DS does have them, and depending on how you hold it at least the d-pad can still be accessed.

True, but that's still not quite the same thing, and this was about "touch gaming" not just the DS. The Iphone, for example, has no gameplay buttons.

Segata Sanshiro said:
With no venom intended whatsoever, I feel that the differences between touch-based gameplay and mouse-based gameplay are fairly obvious, and if you don't see them at first glance, I could write an entire novel and not convince you.

I think you're seeing it in terms of the final result, but there's more to input methods than that, or else Virtua Cop would be just as fun with a mouse as it is with a lightgun. And it's not.
Based on the post he was quoting, I'd guess that he was attacking the idea that western developers don't like change and are ignoring "stylus gameplay" when anyone with any acutal grasp of the gaming landscape (not just "wii/ds") would know that western devs don't have any problem with stylus gameplay, they just instead focus their efforts on the similar but different mouse.

Hell, if you look at Metacritic's top-rated games it's not like stylus/touch gameplay is a particularly compelling attribute. And while I completely agree about the point you're making with Virtua Cop, I don't think there's quite so much difference between mouse and touch.

Mario said:
Western publishers are scrambling to sign 3DS projects right now. I have not seen publishers so bullish on a new platform for a long time. Western support is going to be huge.
ugh. They're gonna clean up the handheld market even more so, if that was possible.

Pociask

Of All Trades said:
when anyone with any acutal grasp of the gaming landscape (not just "wii/ds") would know that western devs don't have any problem with stylus gameplay, they just instead focus their efforts on the similar but different mouse.

Developers don't have any problems making touch games, they just don't make them - that's what you're saying, right?

Or with your strong grasp of the gaming landscape, are you saying large, western developers are focusing on the more profitable PC rather than the DS? :lol

I really don't know what you're arguing. The DS introduced several new innovations to gaming, including touch gaming. Games like Kirby's Canvas Curse paved the way for other games to follow. And Western Studios.. made games about fashion partyz and babyz. Maybe it's not fair to pick just on Ubisoft, though. Who made the quit smoking game?

onipex said:

gamasutra said:
Given the figures above, it would appear that 180,000 Slims were sold during a 15-day period, a figure that deserves some consideration. Were that pace just for the Slim model to continue through July (a 28-day period for NPD Group purposes), we would expect Xbox 360 sales of about 340,000 units, the best July in the system's history.

However, the system need not maintain that pace to set a July record. Rather, if the system were to sell just 210,000 units, a mere 30,000 more than the number of Slims sold in June, then it would beat the figures for every July since the system launched in 2005.

It be interesting to see what percentage of those 180,000 were trade-ins.

Top Bottom