• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2010

Mrbob

Ridley327 said:
That detailed list definitely helps, Chris. As far as Japan is concerned, it certainly leads creedence to my theory that the series hasn't been gaining a significant number of new fans between installments.

True, but there is a quite large established base who buy Metal Gear games and they did not buy Peace Walker in the West. It is completely related to the platform it is on.

Ridley327

Oh, I absolutely agree; Konami has two problems right now with regards to PW.

1. Japan-the data points to PW as being a failure as far as bringing new people into the franchise, despite the efforts otherwise. This does not make the sales that it has achieved bad (far from it), but they definitely had the expectation that it would be higher.

2. The West-putting it on the PSP was a immensely terrible idea and the people responsible should be publically flogged over the decision.

EagleEyes

DMeisterJ said:
Sorry for the upcoming list war:

??

I'm not sure if you're only referring to America, or if you're referring to WW, but I'm going to assume you mean worldwide because there aren't a ton of games on any of the platforms that have done 3.5 million in NA... In that case, you should really know facts before spewing nonsense. Lots of first-party titles from Sony's stables have done extremely well and well above 500-1million (and have not struggled to do so) Resistance 1+2 Uncharted 1 +2, Heavy Rain, inFamous, God of War 3, Motorstorm 1 +2, Killzone 2, etc have all crossed 1 million, with many crossing into two million (Killzone 2, Motorstorm 1, Uncharted 1, God of War 3, Resistance: Fall of Man), and a handful into 3 million (I know Uncharted 2 is one, we haven't gotten an update on God of War 3, and of course GT5: P which is actually in the 4 millions). So what are you talking about?
Why would you assume he meant worldwide in an NPD thread? I know there are at least 7 titles on 360 that are past 3.5 million and quite a few that are probably close and absolutely none on the PS3 except maybe the CoD titles which,by the way, sell a ton better on the other platform. God of War 3 sold extremely well its first month then plummeted in its second month and still hasn't outsold the first month of ODST( widely considered an expansion pack). We can all inflate numbers if we bring the worldwide excuse into the equation but since this an NPD thread i'll just consider those numbers.

J-Rzez

Glad to see Red Dead selling as good as it is. Fantastic game, and best game out of Rockstar in nearly a decade.

Definitely expected higher "360 Slim" sales. Usually the Xbox crowd buys up everything MS throws at them, and considering this unit is an upgrade all around, I expected better sales than this. It's a nice looking machine. What the 360 should have been at launch.

soldat7

JasoNsider said:
Absolutely. This really was the reason I couldn't even be arsed to care about it even after being a long-time follower of the series for so long now.

As a long-time follower of the series, surely you're a fan of MGS 3, right? If so, then Peace Walker would be right up your alley. As I've said before, it's a Metal Gear Solid fan's wet dream.

goldenpp72

J-Rzez said:
Glad to see Red Dead selling as good as it is. Fantastic game, and best game out of Rockstar in nearly a decade.

Definitely expected higher "360 Slim" sales. Usually the Xbox crowd buys up everything MS throws at them, and considering this unit is an upgrade all around, I expected better sales than this. It's a nice looking machine. What the 360 should have been at launch.

Aren't these sales just a bit under what it sold in halo 3s launch?

goldenpp72 said:

This is indeed the 2nd best month of sales for 360 outside of November and December (only beaten by Halo 3 launch month), and at least 100K over what was predicted by GAF and the analysts.

scently

GarthVaderUK said:
This is indeed the 2nd best month of sales for 360 outside of November and December (only beaten by Halo 3 launch month), and at least 100K over what was predicted by GAF and the analysts.

Even if it sold 700,000 some people will still think the slim did not have any effect.

Mael

scently said:
Even if it sold 700,000 some people will still think the slim did not have any effect.

we'll in the next months, seriously a blimp is not indicative that it had any effect

jcm

Chris1964 said:
03/09/98 [PS1] Metal Gear Solid (Konami) - 316.833 / 705.376
24/06/99 [PS1] Metal Gear Solid: Integral (Konami) - 40.032 / 98.537
27/04/00 [PS1] Metal Gear Solid: Integral [Konami the Best] (Konami) - / 43.159
26/07/07 [PS1] Metal Gear Solid [Metal Gear 20th Anniversary] (Konami) - / 5.488

29/11/01 [PS2] Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (Konami) - 456.747 / 798.185
12/09/02 [PS2] Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty [Mega Hits] (Konami) - 3.664 / 42.160
19/12/02 [PS2] Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (Konami) - 64.867 / 147.561
21/10/04 [PS2] Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance [Konami Dendou Selection] (Konami) - / 47.993
21/10/04 [PS2] Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty [Konami Dendou Selection] (Konami) - / 37.595

16/12/04 [PS2] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (Konami) - 487.156 / 819.807
22/12/05 [PS2] Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (Konami) - 73.337 / 133.339
26/07/07 [PS2] Metal Gear Solid Collection [Metal Gear 20th Anniversary] (Konami) - 24.310 / 52.679
26/07/07 [PS2] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater [Metal Gear 20th Anniversary] (Konami) - / 25.809
29/11/07 [PS2] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater [Playstation 2 the Best] (Konami) - / 62.095
05/11/09 [PS2] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater [Konami Dendou Selection] (Konami) - / 23.933

12/06/08 [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami) - 476.334 / 706.461
18/06/09 [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots [PlayStation 3 the Best] (Konami) - 3.672 / 146.827

29/04/10 [PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (Konami) - 446.133 / 727.823
How do PW's legs compare to those other games? Has it had a big price drop in Japan yet? Any sign that buyers are hanging on to the game rather than reselling quickly?

Mael said:
we'll in the next months, seriously a blimp is not indicative that it had any effect

Of course it had an effect. It's too early to say whether it is only short term effect, but there's no doubt it had an effect.

Ridley327

jcm said:
How do PW's legs compare to those other games? Has it had a big price drop in Japan yet? Any sign that buyers are hanging on to the game rather than reselling quickly?
The legs of the game most resemble MGS3's performance, though the lighter opening all but assures that it lands below that game's final total.

J-Rzez

goldenpp72 said:

Perhaps, but I honestly expected a lot of people to upgrade their box to this model since it sports massive upgrades, and it's really sleek looking. It really is a nice looking machine now, packed with everything you need, and should be quieter/cooler/more reliable. Considering how rabid the xbox crowd is, I honestly expect to see number at least passing 600k this month, easily.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
It's J-Rzez.

Perhaps it's too hard to grasp for some people why I expected more units to move. Still great numbers.

Good one though bro. Stick to not trying to burn someone, not your strength. /brofist

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Hardware:
360 sold what I expected. I saw that the PS3 supply problem had ended before hand, but it still edged out my expectations for it. I didn't expect Wii to hold up as well as it did after May's new bundle and the 360 pricedrop. Good numbers for almost everything.

Software:
I can see Opiate's concerns about the gap widening between the top and bottom growing to an extent. I would say its just the result of a slowing market (which isn't abnormal) being offset by an exceptionally strong line-up. I just don't see it being beyond what should be expected and there isn't enough information available to make the case beyond that.

This year has been heavily stacked; we're basically comparing the releases of SMG2, RDR, SC:C, GoW3, FFXIII, BF:BC2, Pokemon SS/HG, Bioshock2, and ME2 to the releases Prototype, UFC, KZ2, RE5, Pokemon Plat, SFIV, and Halo Wars. But on the other hand, we're in the middle of a crappy economy into the 5th year of this console generation and 6th year for the handhelds with the industries best selling system coasting to a successor.

I really wish we could get as much information and analyst on unit sales as we do revenue sales... or better yet, both together so we can get some actual understanding whats effecting sales. What we get today is tailor-made to egg on fanboy wars.

From what I could gather (thanks to Nintendo for filling in most of the Top 10 and leaving only tiny ranges in what's left), June 2010 unit sales represented in the Top 10 are almost even with that of June 2009 (roughly 2.64 million to 2.66 million). Wii saw an increase of about 200k, DS was actually represented with 164k, and PS3 saw an increase of about 100k. However, hurting revenue will be the lack of the $60 EA Active and TW Motion+ bundles, lower sales of WiiFit from last year, $40 Just Dance and the $30 Toy Story 3.

Licensed games did really well this month. That's kind of weird to hear this generation. Transformers should have easily outsold last year's Revenge of the Fallen. I'm expecting at least one version of TS3 and LHP returning next month.

Tiger Woods sold its worst of all generation. It plummet was huge but it shouldn't be a concern to the rest of the industry. Last year's game nearly double previous its years' because it was helped by moving the series nearer the US Open and its synergy with the Motion+. Tiger is just too tainted to be marketable right now. EA needs to figure out how to rebrand this series, because even if he recovers his name, it'll never match what it was. Maybe Move can save some of it sales later this year, but I think it'll be too late.

legend166 said:
I don't have faith that Iwata's magic in wooing 3rd parties (which is relatively poor) can overcome their innate inability to make a reasonable business decision without someone shoving hats of money at them.
I said magic!

soldat7 said:
As a long-time follower of the series, surely you're a fan of MGS 3, right? If so, then Peace Walker would be right up your alley. As I've said before, it's a Metal Gear Solid fan's wet dream.

Yeah, I loved MGS3. It (Subsistence) was the pinnacle of the series.

Still, after 4 I cannot stand Kojima's heavy hand any more. Surely I'll play Peace Walker some day, but even considering it gives me nightmares of Kojima's hack-job writing :p It's strange - after the fourth I just felt like a switch went off in my head like "...what the hell was I thinking playing this?"

It's going to take a lot to un-taint what has been done with that game :p

Frillen

Why do people say the PSP is selling a lot in Japan? It's selling like 20-25k per week which is 100k per month. When did that become a lot? I remember a time when the DS sold 150-200k per week in Japan. That was lot.

Frillen said:
Why do people say the PSP is selling a lot in Japan? It's selling like 20-25k per week which is 100k per month. When did that become a lot? I remember a time when the DS sold 150-200k per week in Japan. That was lot.
It's solid considering the market atm. Nothing to write home about though, which is pretty much the case with the PSP ever since it came out...except for MH.

Pociask

Regarding the 3DS western third party support - it will be a wasteland.

What can Nintendo bring to the table that they don't already have this current generation? If it wasn't clear that Nintendo was going to be the dominant market leader before the generation started, it certainly has been clear long enough for major third parties to adjust development resources. This applies for the Wii and DS. And yet... they just haven't. Mark Rein is making his third Gears of War - where's the big Nintendo FPS? The Conduit 2? Red Steel 2? Give me a break. And what about on handhelds? Third parties can't even make the excuse they didn't see it coming - Nintendo has always been the king of that space. So from a sales perspective, Nintendo won't get any new development resources - third parties literally aren't that interested in developing for the market leader. Look at EA - they're releasing a version of NCAA for the PS2 - the PS2! and not the Wii. And they're still making a babyz partyz Madden, even after Tiger Woods show if you make a realistic, solid golf simulator, people will buy that game. It's a joke. So we can discount the impact of sales.

Moneyhats - Nintendo doesn't believe in them. Partnering with Western Developers, despite some incredible successes(Metroid Prime), has been really limited. Nothing coming from that alley.

So for the 3DS, that leaves... 3D. I am sure it will look amazing. Developers will talk about how cool it is. Then they'll continue trying to make games for the latest, most powerful home console. I don't know what it will take for American developers to take handhelds seriously. Maybe when a few more go bankrupt, they'll change their tune. Until then, good luck Nintendo.

AniHawk

SapientWolf said:
What are you basing this on? A lot of big franchises are getting a 3DS game right out the gate.

Japanese support is really impressive. Western support is about the same. The PSP had two at-the-time exclusive Grand Theft Autos. The best Nintendo can muster up is a Saint's Row title.

AniHawk said:
Japanese support is really impressive. Western support is about the same. The PSP had two at-the-time exclusive Grand Theft Autos. The best Nintendo can muster up is a Saint's Row title.
"Metal Gear Sorid"
"Woo"

"Saints row"
"laughs"

Sipowicz

Banned
AniHawk said:

yeah. I made a thread about western support (or the lack thereof) and everyone on here went bananas.

it's early days but it's still very poor compared to the amazing support promised by japanese publishers.

I have a little hope for ubisoft and thq though. thq published some really cool stuff for the orignal ds like age of empire and viva pinata. ubisoft have promised some big names too, the problem is though that they're just names (see the psp version of assasins creed).

Emonk

Banned
The PSP performance makes me sad, because I really like the system. I've always liked it better than the DS (although my DS is currently seeing more play because of DQ IX).

Piracy obviously hurt the PSP, but I think it has a bit of a bad rap too. I still see people echoing the idea that there's nothing on the system to play, which is too bad really.

Damn. If only my enjoyment of something wasn't contingent upon the opinions of strangers on the internet.

jcm said:
It already hit the bomba bins a couple of weeks ago, so um, I think it's kinda done.

Emonk said:
The PSP performance makes me sad, because I really like the system. I've always liked it better than the DS (although my DS is currently seeing more play because of DQ IX).

Piracy obviously hurt the PSP, but I think it has a bit of a bad rap too. I still see people echoing the idea that there's nothing on the system to play, which is too bad really.

Damn. If only my enjoyment of something wasn't contingent upon the opinions of strangers on the internet.
The PSP for the most part lacks the big hitters, either first party or third party, so the statement that "it has no games" rings true for the general masses, but has plenty for traditional players. Its pretty much the opposite to the Wii where it has alot of heavy hitters but lacks in the traditional department.

The huge difference is that the Wii has stuff that can't be found anywhere else while the PSP games for the most part can be found everywhere.

Sipowicz

Banned
PSP has some excellent, underrated games. it also has some very poor, overrated ones

one of the biggest problems was the attempt to shoehorn consoley games or second rate spinoffs of of console games onto the psp. see portable ops and its terrible controls scheme, or the second rate gta spinoffs, or gran turismo, or all the fighting and sports games you wouldn't want to play on your own

Pociask said:

What can Nintendo bring to the table that they don't already have this current generation? If it wasn't clear that Nintendo was going to be the dominant market leader before the generation started, it certainly has been clear long enough for major third parties to adjust development resources. This applies for the Wii and DS. And yet... they just haven't. Mark Rein is making his third Gears of War - where's the big Nintendo FPS? The Conduit 2? Red Steel 2? Give me a break. And what about on handhelds? Third parties can't even make the excuse they didn't see it coming - Nintendo has always been the king of that space. So from a sales perspective, Nintendo won't get any new development resources - third parties literally aren't that interested in developing for the market leader. Look at EA - they're releasing a version of NCAA for the PS2 - the PS2! and not the Wii. And they're still making a babyz partyz Madden, even after Tiger Woods show if you make a realistic, solid golf simulator, people will buy that game. It's a joke. So we can discount the impact of sales.

Moneyhats - Nintendo doesn't believe in them. Partnering with Western Developers, despite some incredible successes(Metroid Prime), has been really limited. Nothing coming from that alley.

So for the 3DS, that leaves... 3D. I am sure it will look amazing. Developers will talk about how cool it is. Then they'll continue trying to make games for the latest, most powerful home console. I don't know what it will take for American developers to take handhelds seriously. Maybe when a few more go bankrupt, they'll change their tune. Until then, good luck Nintendo.
The brunt of Japanese third-party support goes to handhelds. I think 3DS will be fine.

jrricky

Banned
Sipowicz said:
yeah. I made a thread about western support (or the lack thereof) and everyone on here went bananas.

it's early days but it's still very poor compared to the amazing support promised by japanese publishers.

I have a little hope for ubisoft and thq though. thq published some really cool stuff for the orignal ds like age of empire and viva pinata. ubisoft have promised some big names too, the problem is though that they're just names (see the psp version of assasins creed).
Your thread deserved all the responses it got because it was stupid.

Also your last line is stupid too... of course they are just names, but they are names from big franchises. You know what that means?...Support, which is more than what the first DS got on launch...

You guys should stop worrying your asses off and let everything just happen when they need to...

Wallach

Pociask said:

Are you fucking serious? The vast majority of third-party support in the handheld market has been behind the DS for the entire past generation. It looks nothing like the console market at all. With the PSP brand name beaten to shit in the past few years there won't even be anyone else to support handheld-wise when the 3DS hits retail. I guarantee you they're going to have everyone's backing, mostly because there's basically nobody else to back.

Pociask

Wallach said:
Are you fucking serious? The vast majority of third-party support in the handheld market has been behind the DS for the entire past generation. It looks nothing like the console market at all. With the PSP brand name beaten to shit in the past few years there won't even be anyone else to support handheld-wise when the 3DS hits retail. I guarantee you they're going to have everyone's backing, mostly because there's basically nobody else to back.

I thought I clearly stated Western third-party support - Activision, EA, those developers. Obviously Japanese support will continue to be excellent.

MechaX

Pociask said:
I thought I clearly stated Western third-party support - Activision, EA, those developers. Obviously Japanese support will continue to be excellent.

Could you even say that Western Third-Party support is even strong at all on handhelds in general? Hell, it's even more of a moot point when considering almost every handheld thus far operated on the presumption of western support being a non-factor.

J-Rzez said:

The slim was only out for 2 weeks and as far as i know it has mostly been sold out. I think we will have to wait for the next few months to see what impact it has made.

J-Rzez said:

In Cincinnati, the slim was hitting the Gamestop stores on June 18, so it was only really available the last two weeks of the five week NPD period. Every shipment sold out the day it arrived during those two weeks. The threads at CAG and here indicate that these sellouts were not isolated to Cincinnati and seemed to be the norm. Gamestop even went so far as to start requiring that you buy a bundle with extra controller and transfer cable so you had to spend $370 instead of $300. Gamestop.com is STILL only selling new systems in this bundle and not bare. If more systems had been shipped to stores during the June NPD, more systems would have been sold.

J-Rzez said:

Well the slim launched in the middle of the month so it only had a few weeks, how can anyone be disappointed in it's sales when it beat the WII a had one of it's best non holiday months?

More analysis from the edge website:

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/ea-suffered-weak-sales-in-may-june-analyst

Few points of interest.

• If the fact that Tiger Woods is a dirtbag really stops people buying the games I despair.
  • With Green Day Rock Band bombing (a bit) hopefully we'll stop seeing bloody band specific versions and the day that RB/GT is moved to a download application with pick and mix DLC tracks the better.
  • Skateboarding is sooo 1999.

Mock if delusional.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Pociask said:

Western publishers are scrambling to sign 3DS projects right now. I have not seen publishers so bullish on a new platform for a long time. Western support is going to be huge.

Ormberg

Mario said:
Western publishers are scrambling to sign 3DS projects right now. I have not seen publishers so bullish on a new platform for a long time. Western support is going to be huge.
Where do you get this information from?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Mario said:
Western publishers are scrambling to sign 3DS projects right now. I have not seen publishers so bullish on a new platform for a long time. Western support is going to be huge for maybe the first year.

Fixed. History tells us that you can put zero faith in western devs when it comes to handhelds.

Ormberg

Cosmonaut X said:
Mario is with Sidhe (devs of Shatter and Gripshift, along with a rake of licensed material) so I would imagine he has some idea of what is going on... ;-)
Cool, thanks!

Hope it'll mount up to some real support and not only the usual Imagine-crap...

Pociask

Mario said:

I hope you are right. My argument was based on past practices - sales and Western development studios being typically uninterested in new forms of gameplay(they are just now being dragged kicking and screaming to motion control, and stylus gameplay is still largely ignored).

I don't want to reargue those points, because they stand on their own. But I do want to add that it's not like this is some kind of personal dislike of the 3DS. I'm a Wii/DS gamer - I'll be getting the 3DS day one. If publishers are rushing to sign up 3DS projects, awesome. I just hope it's not Ubisoft Petz3d, Imagine 3d babies, etc. etc. etc.

Neo C.

Kintaro said:
Fixed. History tells us that you can put zero faith in western devs when it comes to handhelds.
It's rare, but I agree with Kintaro 100%. The few statements I have read from THQ and Ubisoft show exactly the "let's port it for a cheap cash-in!"-mentality.

Haunted

Mario said:
:O

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Neo C. said:
It's rare, but I agree with Kintaro 100%. The few statements I have read from THQ and Ubisoft show exactly the "let's port it for a cheap cash-in!"-mentality.

Bigger exklusive content takes time to develop - we ware talkin about the launch lineup so its understandable that they include many multiplattform games - and still it already looks way better than the first years of ds western lineup...

Top Bottom