• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2010

slider

Mario said:
Western publishers are scrambling to sign 3DS projects right now. I have not seen publishers so bullish on a new platform for a long time. Western support is going to be huge.

I could've only guessed of course but this is what I expected and hoped for.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ridley327 said:
A few more numbers from EA. In particular for June, Green Day: Rock Band sold 82k on all three platforms.

If history tells us anything, this would end up being somewhere around 30k each for the 360 and Wii and the remaining 20k for PS3, although given the bonus DLC SKU for PS360, maybe a little up for the 2 HD skus... maybe 35k 360, 25k Wii, 22k PS3 or so?

HiResDes

J-Rzez said:
Glad to see Red Dead selling as good as it is. Fantastic game, and best game out of Rockstar in nearly a decade.

Definitely expected higher "360 Slim" sales. Usually the Xbox crowd buys up everything MS throws at them, and considering this unit is an upgrade all around, I expected better sales than this. It's a nice looking machine. What the 360 should have been at launch.
MS under shipped them; I guess hoping to generate buzz when they sold out so quickly...There are tons of people including me just waiting for them to get in-stock and therefore expect next month's numbers to be even higher if MS can manage to ship more of them out.

Pociask

Ridley327 said:
A few more numbers from EA. In particular for June, Green Day: Rock Band sold 82k on all three platforms.

They also say Tiger Woods had an 86 percent decline on the Wii - since last year's thread says Tiger did 272,400, if I did my math right that means this year they only sold around 37,700.

Ouch. Tiger Woods Wii All Play put-put golf bobble-head version incoming?

Ridley327

Stumpokapow said:
If history tells us anything, this would end up being somewhere around 30k each for the 360 and Wii and the remaining 20k for PS3, although given the bonus DLC SKU for PS360, maybe a little up for the 2 HD skus... maybe 35k 360, 25k Wii, 22k PS3 or so?
I would imagine the sales favor the 360 version, yes. I don't think the Plus version had much of an impact on sales since they were released in very minimal numbers in the first place.

I'll make a (not so) bold claim here: GD:RB's failure has a lot to do with RB3 prep.

botticus

HiResDes said:
MS under shipped them; I guess hoping to generate buzz when they sold out so quickly...There are tons of people including me just waiting for them to get in-stock and therefore expect next month's numbers to be even higher if MS can manage to ship more of them out.
Are you waiting for a particular store to get them in stock? A quick check online says I could buy it from any number of online stores and every Target within 20 miles.

evangd007

Neo C. said:
It's rare, but I agree with Kintaro 100%. The few statements I have read from THQ and Ubisoft show exactly the "let's port it for a cheap cash-in!"-mentality.

Ubisoft at the very least is quite serious. They claim to have 6-8 launch titles for the 3DS and think they can get 30% market share.

ichinisan said:
More analysis from the edge website:

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/ea-suffered-weak-sales-in-may-june-analyst

Few points of interest.

• If the fact that Tiger Woods is a dirtbag really stops people buying the games I despair.
  • With Green Day Rock Band bombing (a bit) hopefully we'll stop seeing bloody band specific versions and the day that RB/GT is moved to a download application with pick and mix DLC tracks the better.
  • Skateboarding is sooo 1999.

Mock if delusional.
Why would you despair?

Supporting Tiger is relationship suicide for any guy with a significant other.

evangd007 said:
Ubisoft at the very least is quite serious. They claim to have 6-8 launch titles for the 3DS and think they can get 30% market share.

I seem to recall them promising the moon at the Wii launch too.

HiResDes

botticus said:
Are you waiting for a particular store to get them in stock? A quick check online says I could buy it from any number of online stores and every Target within 20 miles.
Was waiting for a local game store to get them in stock...Most gamestops only got in like a total of 10 or 15 over the past month from what I've heard.

botticus

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Why would you despair?

Supporting Tiger is relationship suicide for any guy with a significant other.
If interest in a golf game is going to end a relationship, I'd consider it more of a mercy killing than suicide.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Here's something I've never actually known: does anyone here know if Sony makes a profit on the PSP hardware, or are they selling at a loss?

Ridley327

The_Technomancer said:
Here's something I've never actually known: does anyone here know if Sony makes a profit on the PSP hardware, or are they selling at a loss?
If I'm not mistaken, they've been making mad bank on the hardware since the release of the PSP-2000. It certainly goes a long way to explaining why they've been so reluctant to drop the price on either product line.

evangd007

Ridley327 said:
If I'm not mistaken, they've been making mad bank on the hardware since the release of the PSP-2000. It certainly goes a long way to explaining why they've been so reluctant to drop the price on either product line.

The problem then becomes the fact that they are using these profits to float their gaming division while handheld mindshare continues to be eroded with both publishers and consumers.

Ridley327

Well, yeah; hence why the sentiment that Sony fucking up everything that could be fucked up with the PSP is an awfully strong one around here.

Zachack

Pociask said:
I hope you are right. My argument was based on past practices - sales and Western development studios being typically uninterested in new forms of gameplay(they are just now being dragged kicking and screaming to motion control, and stylus gameplay is still largely ignored).
What is "stylus gameplay"?

markatisu

Pociask said:
They also say Tiger Woods had an 86 percent decline on the Wii - since last year's thread says Tiger did 272,400, if I did my math right that means this year they only sold around 37,700.

No it should mean no Tiger Woods next year since the Wii was the leading sku sales wise the previous 3 years :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Mario said:
Western publishers are scrambling to sign 3DS projects right now. I have not seen publishers so bullish on a new platform for a long time. Western support is going to be huge.

Assuming what you say is true (which is very believable since you are a developer), Sony will have an extremely hard time positioning the successor of the PSP if the Nintendo 3DS will have a very strong (and mature) quality gaming lineup from western developers.

It will also bring the 3DS to insane new sales highs, the 100+ million DS sales will look small compared to the 3DS domination.

Zachack

Hcoregamer00 said:
Assuming what you say is true (which is very believable since you are a developer), Sony will have an extremely hard time positioning the successor of the PSP if the Nintendo 3DS will have a very strong (and mature) quality gaming lineup from western developers.

It will also bring the 3DS to insane new sales highs, the 100+ million DS sales will look small compared to the 3DS domination.
The 3DS is going to be competing against iDevices (and probably Android and any other similar device). The market that the PSP initially aimed at is a segment of the larger market that the DS eventually controlled, and the larger remainder of that market is now being targeted by companies other than Sony.

The_Technomancer said:

They should be as the price has only dropped like $30 since launch.

donny2112

evangd007 said:
Pureauthor said:
I seem to recall them promising the moon at the Wii launch too.

I thought his statement was what Ubisoft said at the Wii launch, with 3DS swapped out for Wii. I thought he was trying to be clever. "I see what you did there" and all that.

Rocksteady33

I kind of wanted to make a new thread about this subject but considering the junior member status, clearly I can't, so I thought I would bring it up here.

Why exactly does it seem that console prices are almost always expected and "required" to go down as time progresses and yet handheld prices do not? I mean I too am frustrated at the fact that even close to five years after this generation began we still don't have a system at a sub $200 level yet (excluding clearance of the phatboxes), but I look at both the Nintendo DS and the PSP and the prices have stayed relatively the same and in some cases risen thanks in part to the DSi, DSi XL and PSP go. And yet I don't ever seem to hear anyone complain about it.

I mean we point and laugh at Metal Gear PW performance yet we understand it because "oh it's just the PSP userbase" well why the hell hasn't Sony tried to expand this userbase with a more attractive point of entry with the system? When steam slows down on the console front price drops are almost eminent and expected, but with portables that's never the case, and that goes as far back as to the Game Boy Color (which I believe only had one price drop from $99 -> $79).

So what's the deal here? Why have consumers just given in to paying the same price for the same old technology for handhelds and yet sit on the fence for price drops and added features when it comes to consoles? I mean look at the 360 and you can see that from an operating system aspect and special features view, the system has actually improved (Netflix, social networking, avatars, ESPN, etc.) and yet we won't pay a higher price for it. While with the DS (the Lite anyway) we're still stuck with a free version of PictoChat... and that's it.

Ridley327

I think it has a little to do with the fact that, generally speaking, the DS sales are the most consistent of all the hardware. You see something like the DS selling 400k-500k a month on average and there really isn't any reason for Nintendo to bring the price down. This is obviously different in Japan and Europe, where sales have been struggling for various reasons, but the US really has yet to experience that kind of downturn.

As for the PSP, fucked if I know.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Mario said:
Bah, not surprised to read this -_-

All I want to know is if they'll make games worth buying.

Rocksteady33

I mean I understand the DS for the most part, in the US it doesn't make sense to bring the price down and I think the price hikes for the DSi and DSi XL are experimental on Nintendo's part to see how much consumers really pay for a handheld device. But even still I feel like this model applied to the Game Boy which didn't necessarily see extremely strong sales all through it's life span (at all points of the year as well) and still managed to get by on little to no price drops and technically the hardware lasted almost 10 years (although Chris/Donny/Stump might have real data on this). The DS does happen to make sense because it's library of games can justify the price.

But seriously, with the PSP there has to be some other reasoning going on here. Maybe they just want to keep the PSP image as a premium gadget? But it's not like an iPod that can be updated with a bigger memory storage. The PSP outside of some design tweaks is literally the same device as it was in 2005, and clearly doesn't have much of a market anymore. It just confuses me as to why the traditional price drop model was never applied to the PSP to help motivate on the fence buyers.

Jomjom

Banned
Vic said:
Bah, not surprised to read this -_-

All I want to know is if they'll make games worth buying.

I think with this much pre-launch interest, this may be the first system since the SNES to have 3rd party support that is as strong if not stronger than 1st party support.

Jomjom

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Hey, who was it that bet me that Green Day Rockband would outsell Beatles Rockband?

I should really keep better track of these things.

I'm going to guess someone who has not hit puberty yet.

So no Sin and Punishment 2 numbers info what-so-ever?

Can somebody tell me if it at least did 5 digits?

I know I'm person #428948 who's asked this, but damn it this seems to be the first NPD thread (or at least in a while) where everybody's so tight lipped (I.E. no leaked numbers on other websites).

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
jling84 said:
I think with this much pre-launch interest, this may be the first system since the SNES to have 3rd party support that is as strong if not stronger than 1st party support.
It's already been the case with the DS...

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I sure hope Tiger tanking had less to do with his personal problems and more to do with the fact that outside of minor incremental gameplay tweaks it's the same damn game from 7 or 8 years ago...

BJK

Pociask said:

I'd be curious to see the breakdown of game-only TW '09 to TW '10 on the Wii. I personally bought a copy last year for Wii Motion+ (and stopped playing shortly thereafter).

markatisu

levious said:
I sure hope Tiger tanking had less to do with his personal problems and more to do with the fact that outside of minor incremental gameplay tweaks it's the same damn game from 7 or 8 years ago...

I think this had a lot to do with it, especially on the Wii side. The last 3 editions prior to this year added something or other (online play, M+). There was always a draw except this year was really nothing outside a slightly updated version of the M+ release.

It is terrible for EA, the game sold like shit on every other platform and if the Wii owners are now taking a pass they should look to maybe put some time between releases.

If a sports game like UFC did not warrant a yearly release, Tiger Woods requires it even less.

Rocksteady33 said:
I kind of wanted to make a new thread about this subject but considering the junior member status, clearly I can't, so I thought I would bring it up here.

Why exactly does it seem that console prices are almost always expected and "required" to go down as time progresses and yet handheld prices do not? I mean I too am frustrated at the fact that even close to five years after this generation began we still don't have a system at a sub $200 level yet (excluding clearance of the phatboxes), but I look at both the Nintendo DS and the PSP and the prices have stayed relatively the same and in some cases risen thanks in part to the DSi, DSi XL and PSP go. And yet I don't ever seem to hear anyone complain about it.

I mean we point and laugh at Metal Gear PW performance yet we understand it because "oh it's just the PSP userbase" well why the hell hasn't Sony tried to expand this userbase with a more attractive point of entry with the system? When steam slows down on the console front price drops are almost eminent and expected, but with portables that's never the case, and that goes as far back as to the Game Boy Color (which I believe only had one price drop from $99 -> $79).

So what's the deal here? Why have consumers just given in to paying the same price for the same old technology for handhelds and yet sit on the fence for price drops and added features when it comes to consoles? I mean look at the 360 and you can see that from an operating system aspect and special features view, the system has actually improved (Netflix, social networking, avatars, ESPN, etc.) and yet we won't pay a higher price for it. While with the DS (the Lite anyway) we're still stuck with a free version of PictoChat... and that's it.

Hanhelds generally launch at consumer-friendly price points, putting them within the acceptable range of a mid-tier pricy gift.

A console that launches at $399+, or a handheld launching at $250+, with a sparse launch lineup is going to appeal primarily to tech heads who have to be first about everything.

At the 360 launch, it was easy for someone who, for example, doesn't own a console to balk at a $399 Pro vs a $129 PS2 with a massive library of games. Similarly, a $599 PS3 versus everything else.

A $149 DS launching against a $99 GBA doesn't have that massive mental block that makes people wish it were cheaper, because it's not a comparatively large investment.

Sipowicz

Banned
jrricky said:
Your thread deserved all the responses it got because it was stupid.

no it wasn't stupid. you just think it's stupid because you saw it as a negative comment about a nintendo system, and that makes you sad :(

jrricky said:
Also your last line is stupid too... of course they are just names, but they are names from big franchises.

and? ubisoft also gave the DS and the PSP "names from big franchises". the problem was that these games and the developers behind them were crap. ubisoft have a track record with their major franchises on handhelds and it's not a pretty one.

levious said:

Lots of years there are nothing but incremental changes.

Sipowicz

Banned
Pociask said:
They also say Tiger Woods had an 86 percent decline on the Wii

That's fantastic news. Last year's was excellent but from what i understand they've barely changed it (and tiger woods is a scumbag). Hopefully the PS3 move version can pick up a bit of the slack. If the rumours are true about NBA Jam then i hope that bombs too (the retail version anyway).

[Nintex]

Sipowicz said:
That's fantastic news. Last year's was excellent but from what i understand they've barely changed it (and tiger woods is a scumbag). Hopefully the PS3 move version can pick up a bit of the slack. If the rumours are true about NBA Jam then i hope that bombs too (the retail version anyway).
What rumors?

Top Bottom