• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2010

mujun

Ridley327 said:
Well, having a huge library of games that people would want to play doesn't seem like a disadvantage.

I mean, where's the Crisis Core equivalent? The Kingdom Hearts game? The Monster Hunter series? You don't see how this could be an attractive enterprise?

Backlog has merit. Still I think they'd be better off putting the effort it would take into getting the PS2 library up on their dl service than the PSPs.

Beth Cyra

mujun said:
Backlog has merit. Still I think they'd be better off putting the effort it would take into getting the PS2 library up on their dl service than the PSPs.

Well isn't the point that every single PS3 has the abliltiy to play PSP games already because the Mini's? Sure it had software emulation for PS2 but that was removed correct? So outside of some compatablity issues PSP games could go up today and you be able to play them with nothing more then an unlock code.

Or at least that is how I understood the argument.

mujun said:
Actually you are right, I forgot how far the lead is in the States. World wide is another matter altogether.

Didn't mean to be rude, I was just exaggerating the point. xD

The crucial market is Europe. Given that in the US the lead is far and consolidated, and that in Japan the losses are virtually forgettable, it remains to be seen how Europe will behave, especially after the lauch of GT5 an possible further price-drops.

Banned
mujun said:
Actually you are right, I forgot how far the lead is in the States. World wide is another matter altogether.

You also forgot that the 360 is outselling the PS3 every month in the US.

Ridley327

TruePrime said:
Well isn't the point that every single PS3 has the abliltiy to play PSP games already because the Mini's? Sure it had software emulation for PS2 but that was removed correct? So outside of some compatablity issues PSP games could go up today and you be able to play them with nothing more then an unlock code.

Or at least that is how I understood the argument.
You got it. It would give the PS3 instant access to types of games that it doesn't normally represent (like platformers and RPGs), as well as being able to drive PSN sales of the more popular PSP titles. They have so much to gain by this, and the best news is they've already done the hard part with making the PSP emulator available.

Sony has no good reasons not to do this.

mujun said:

But even if the PS3 does catch up, it won't matter since this gen has been set in stone until the end with publisher/developer support. Any game of importance will be released on both systems from here on out and next gen both Sony and MS will start on equal footing from day one.

If PS3 does catch up to the 360 the only thing that will change is that it will be used as a bullet point in a PR statement.

mujun said:
Looks like the 360 is bound for 3rd place both in the States and worldwide.
Mmm, even worldwide, it's pretty unlikely. Depends how long the gen goes on and if things proceed as they are now. Up to this point, it's been four years and the PS3 has carved off about 2 million of the 360's WW lead. That leaves about five million. How long will that take? Another nine years? Five maybe? If the next gen kicks off in a few years, I doubt the PS3 will ever catch up.

And as I've said every time this comes up, and will say it again, it's not as though it matters anyway.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Takao said:
Americans follow the path given to them by the Europeans and ignore the portable game of the year and the second best portable Metal Gear game for trash

Fixed

RK202u1.jpg

mujun

Ridley327 said:
You got it. It would give the PS3 instant access to types of games that it doesn't normally represent (like platformers and RPGs), as well as being able to drive PSN sales of the more popular PSP titles. They have so much to gain by this, and the best news is they've already done the hard part with making the PSP emulator available.

Sony has no good reasons not to do this.

Sure but there are all sorts of logistics involved with putting those types of services up. It's not just a matter of dumping it on a server. I personally think they'd be better off doing it right with PS2 stuff than PSP. If they can afford both then sure, that would be best. The more games you have to choose from as a gamer, the better.

DR2K

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Mmm, even worldwide, it's pretty unlikely. Depends how long the gen goes on and if things proceed as they are now. Up to this point, it's been four years and the PS3 has carved off about 2 million of the 360's WW lead. That leaves about five million. How long will that take? Another nine years? Five maybe? If the next gen kicks off in a few years, I doubt the PS3 will ever catch up.

And as I've said every time this comes up, and will say it again, it's not as though it matters anyway.

I don't think sales will take off until either console hits 149.99.

mujun

Segata Sanshiro said:

Maybe Sony won't overtake ww, just my gut feeling that they will.

And of course, I say all of this with exactly the same thing in my mind. Pretty much just speculation for speculation's sake.

Ridley327

Son of Godzilla said:
Might be licensing hurdles for some portion of the catalog.
This would be the biggest obstacle in its way right now (we've already seen issues of getting some PSP games on the Store), but I think Sony could manage to convince third parties to get on board with the idea.

I mean, how much worse could they sell than they do already?

DMeisterJ

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
But even if the PS3 does catch up, it won't matter since this gen has been set in stone until the end with publisher/developer support. Any game of importance will be released on both systems from here on out and next gen both Sony and MS will start on equal footing from day one.

If PS3 does catch up to the 360 the only thing that will change is that it will be used as a bullet point in a PR statement.

Yep yep yep. Which is why I haven't gotten all the fights people have been having whether it happens or not. Nothing will change, every third party game (save for the few exclusives left) will be on both platforms from here to the end of the generation.

Banned
mujun said:
Maybe Sony won't overtake ww, just my gut feeling that they will.

And of course, I say all of this with exactly the same thing in my mind. Pretty much just speculation for speculation's sake.

The PS3 has a good chance to pass the 360 WW in hardware in the next 2 years. In software I see the PS3 as a distant third at the end of this gen.

Posted? Nintendo PR with numbers outside Top 5:

Toy Story 3: The Video Game for Nintendo DS at No. 6 with more than 164,000 sold, Wii Fit™ Plus with the Wii Balance Board accessory at No. 7 with more than 148,000 sold and LEGO® Harry Potter™: Years 1-4 for Wii at No. 9 with more than 136,000 sold.

Karma said:
The PS3 has a good chance to pass the 360 WW in hardware in the next 2 years.

It means it has to keep the pace of the 360 in the US, and sell 2.5 millions console more than 360 every year.

Who knows, maybe you're right.

Still, it's just for statistics' sake.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wonder how the PS3 version of Toy Story 3 did...

Also, I checked ESRB and they put up a Toy Story Collector's Edition, which is listed for PS3 only.

Banned
metareferential said:
It means it has to keep the pace of the 360 in the US, and sell 2.5 millions console more than 360 every year.

Who knows, maybe you're right.

Still, it's just for statistics' sake.

It will be close that is for sure but really doesnt matter. I dont see the PS3 catching the 360 in software anyway.

Future

Damn at the nintendo legs. I'd be curious to see the % drop off of some of the bigger releases. Things that make it to top 10 npd, but then fall off the next month never to return

Rainier

Karma said:
It will be close that is for sure but really doesnt matter. I dont see the PS3 catching the 360 in software anyway.
Sony being forced to launch at $600 so they could get Blu-rays into homes not only hurt the hardware sales, but software sales as well.

Owzers

Ridley327 said:
This would be the biggest obstacle in its way right now (we've already seen issues of getting some PSP games on the Store), but I think Sony could manage to convince third parties to get on board with the idea.

I mean, how much worse could they sell than they do already?

People will pirate two files of each game instead of 1 to show their dissatisfaction

Redbeard

Banned
Karma said:

Pretty sure that Sony often sells a lot more software than the 360 for certain third parties given their positive position in Europe and Japan.

There's only about a 4 million gap in userbase right now.

Redbeard said:
Pretty sure that Sony often sells a lot more software than the 360 for certain third parties given their positive position in Europe and Japan.

The point is: it sells more software in Japan and occasionally in Europe, though numerically those sales can't match up to US sales.

There's just a single million seller in Japan for ps3.

swanlee597 said:
Seems this month people downplay the 360 sales win, any month the PS3 would even get close to first and this forum would be flipping out in joy. Any further proof neogaf hates the 360?

I think it says more about the mindset of the fans than the mentality of the forum as a whole. 360 fans just seem more comfortable with its status. There are just still a lot of Sony fans who seem to have a hard time accepting the way things are. The 360 is perfectly well-liked here.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Leondexter said:
I think it says more about the mindset of the fans than the mentality of the forum as a whole. 360 fans just seem more comfortable with its status. There are just still a lot of Sony fans who seem to have a hard time accepting the way things are. The 360 is perfectly well-liked here.

360 Fans, Sony Fans, and GAF are not one entity. No group is more accepting or less accepting or anything of the like because everyone has a different opinion.

Banned
Redbeard said:

The tie ratios say that the PS3 is not selling as much software WW.

Wow good numbers all round, nice bump for 360 with the slim will be interesting if that continues any time either of them outsells the wii its a wow moment for me. You us guys love yous some wiis dont you.:lol

mujun

DMeisterJ said:
360 Fans, Sony Fans, and GAF are not one entity. No group is more accepting or less accepting or anything of the like because everyone has a different opinion.

That's not true.

Japanese are not one entity. Japanese people have a wide array of differing opinions. You can still compare Japanese people to Australians. They aren't exactly the same, there are definitely some common traits and trends.

Chrange

Banned
mujun said:
Looks like the 360 is bound for 3rd place both in the States and worldwide.

Worldwide maybe, but in the US? How is it going to fall into third...by outselling the PS3 consistently?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
How in the world did I fall asleep in my chair right before NPD time? Was on a day schedule. Damn.

Apologies folks. Well, perhaps not as big of a deal at this point with NPD providing the smallest of scraps now, ahem, but I'll endeavor to not fuck up next month.

Razor210

So, uh, just let the PSP die, Sony. Definitely not worth the resources anymore.
I'm pretty sure Konami'll make a quick and dirty PSN port of Peace Walker to try and recoup some of the costs.

Razor210 said:
So, uh, just let the PSP die, Sony. Definitely not worth the resources anymore.
I'm pretty sure Konami'll make a quick and dirty PSN port of Peace Walker to try and recoup some of the costs.

Only way to make a successor to the PSP is to make it also a phone and even that is a little late now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
To whomever it may concern: Do I want to know Sin and Punishment 2's numbers? I know, only like three days of sales, but...

Did it at least get to five digits?

antispin

EviLore said:
How in the world did I fall asleep in my chair right before NPD time? Was on a day schedule. Damn.

Apologies folks. Well, perhaps not as big of a deal at this point with NPD providing the smallest of scraps now, ahem, but I'll endeavor to not fuck up next month.
We'll be watching you.
I thought your absence meant worse than just dozing off. Glad to hear otherwise

Mrbob said:
I think the big story this month is the apparent bomba of Peace Walker. If Metal Gear can't propel hardware and software sales on a Playstation platform, then it is virtually dead.

I don't think the problem's MGS, it's location, location, location. (i.e. the platform it's on.) I have a PSP, I've had one since launch. And while I'd love to play PW, I don't want to play it on PSP. Out of all the platforms it's the only one I actively dislike playing games on. Personally, I've just had it with the uncomfortable nub and trying to use the buttons as a second analog. I'm not paying for the privilege to suffer like that. I'm praying it shows up somewhere else at some point. I use my PSP strictly for 2D d-pad games now.

I'm not trashing the platform, just explaining why someone who actually likes MGS might pass on the game.

SonComet

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I don't think the problem's MGS, it's location, location, location. (i.e. the platform it's on.) I have a PSP, I've had one since launch. And while I'd love to play PW, I don't want to play it on PSP. Out of all the platforms it's the only one I actively dislike playing games on. Personally, I've just had it with the uncomfortable nub and trying to use the buttons as a second analog. I'm not paying for the privilege to suffer like that. I'm praying it shows up somewhere else at some point. I use my PSP strictly for 2D d-pad games now.

I'm not trashing the platform, just explaining why someone who actually likes MGS might pass on the game.
I own it on the psp and can't bring myself to play it on the psp. Maybe someday.

Vinci

Danish
Really curious to see what Nintendo is going to do with the console market in the next two years or so. I mean, unless they're expecting the 3DS launch to cut the console market off at the knees all on its own.

Reilly

Regulus Tera said:
To whomever it may concern: Do I want to know Sin and Punishment 2's numbers? I know, only like three days of sales, but...

Did it at least get to five digits?

Sin and Punishment 2 was out on June 27. NPD tracked data through the five-week period ending July 3. So S&P2 sales were for an entire week.

And no, you don't want to see them.

Top Bottom