• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2010

Dreams-Visions said:
good job, Microsoft.

still, you need to pick up your 1st party software lineup quality. it's slipped.

Why does it matter if they have the best selling console and third party titles are selling like gang busters? They make money off every game sold to the system regardless of if it's first or third.

Zachack

The_Technomancer said:
Right, but that opens the whole "should a games price reflect its budget" can of worms
That can has been open a long time, and even if it were closed I don't see why that would matter when we're talking about ports of handheld games to a console DD service. Reducing the price of a ported handheld game doesn't necessarily say anything abut the budget since the trade-off to the DD buyer is resale and portability.

Boney

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Why does it matter if they have the best selling console and third party titles are selling like gang busters? They make money off every game sold to the system regardless of if it's first or third.
that's certainly news to me.

Zachack

OldJadedGamer said:
It's pretty handy (and I'd argue crucial) for a 1st party to have a strong stable of recognizable IP in order to promote a new console and provide assurance for early buyers that some quality software will appear. MS could use more IP, too, particularly family-friendly stuff (that they don't try once or twice and then abandon) which could be used in a variety of game types, much like how Nintendo and Sega exploit their main IP (although ideally not exactly like Sega).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Zachack said:
Most handheld titles are budget priced compared to console games and have the ability to be resold, so I don't see why the idea of handheld games on a console DD service for $20 gets mocked. Sure, I see the $5-10 strawman get tossed out over and over again, but there have been $20 XBLA games and Siren: Blood Curse on PSN was $40 initially, now $30.

Certainly in the case of Peace Walker, releasing it for $20 on two systems where people buy DD games and aren't as easily able to pirate them (unlike the PSP and Wii) would certainly seem to be a good idea in the west given what's happened so far.

On a related note, it's pretty clear consoles are going to have to figure out how to brand and identify the kind of $20-40 range of digital titles. I do think they need a separate branding from Arcade/Regular PSN games, because I think there's room for them, but no one has quite figured them out. Hydrophobia--the first third of which will be released on XBL this summer for $15--is an example of an upcoming title that's going to fall into this gap.

Massa

OldJadedGamer said:

You really want to argue the value of a good first party line-up?

azentium said:
He was referring to the June NPD numbers.

Yeah, considering this thread is about June NPD numbers I thought that was a given. I guess I could have clarified.

Zachack said:
It's pretty handy (and I'd argue crucial) for a 1st party to have a strong stable of recognizable IP in order to promote a new console and provide assurance for early buyers that some quality software will appear. MS could use more IP, too, particularly family-friendly stuff (that they don't try once or twice and then abandon) which could be used in a variety of game types, much like how Nintendo and Sega exploit their main IP (although ideally not exactly like Sega).

The 360 will be 5 years old in a few months. I agree that new systems need exclusive first party games but we are so deep into this gen sales numbers are showing that it's mattering less and less. I'm not saying it totally doesn't matter but I think it matters a lot less than people make it out to be.

Zachack

Stumpokapow said:
On a related note, it's pretty clear consoles are going to have to figure out how to brand and identify the kind of $20-40 range of digital titles. I do think they need a separate branding from Arcade/Regular PSN games, because I think there's room for them, but no one has quite figured them out. Hydrophobia--the first third of which will be released on XBL this summer for $15--is an example of an upcoming title that's going to fall into this gap.
On MS' end I think they just need to expand Games On Demand (the name is not too bad and budget new/discounted old games could live together) and fix the mess that is the Games Marketplace. I liked some of the changes NXE brought but it also made some changes for the worse (not like the blades were much better, though). That browser app for Summer of Arcade looks like a good step in the right direction, too bad it's temporary.

Zachack

OldJadedGamer said:
The 360 will be 5 years old in a few months. I agree that new systems need exclusive first party games but we are so deep into this gen sales numbers are showing that it's mattering less and less. I'm not saying it totally doesn't matter but I think it matters a lot less than people make it out to be.
If I thought this gen was going to wrap up in a year or so I'd agree but I don't know what's going to happen now.

Mrbob

Oh man it is somewhat depressing to think the 360 is coming up on five years and is still $299 with no successor console in sight.

I know most of you don't want a new console but I really want one which can get me 1080P gaming at near 60fps. At least I can usually get this out of the digital games.

Mrbob said:
Oh man it is somewhat depressing to think the 360 is coming up on five years and is still $299 with no successor console in sight.

I know most of you don't want a new console but I really want one which can get me 1080P gaming at near 60fps. At least I can usually get this out of the digital games.
Just hook your PC up to your TV and pretend it's your very own custom game console!

Seriously though look at how big the 360 and PS3 still are. Now just imagine what a console coming out this year (that's a generation a head of current hardware) would look like. Not to mention the damn price.

Mrbob said:

Entry price is $199 but it should be lowered to $150 if they want to move a lot of units come Xmas time. I think September 2008 was the last price drop which is just plain silly. I think I'm ready for a new system but as you said, no where in sight.

Mrbob said:

You know what is even more depressing. Both Move and Kinect will bump up the price of the PS3 and 360 another hundred dollars this fall/winter.

Owzers

Mrbob said:

I was opposed to new consoles so soon, but seeing everyone trying to upgrade their 360 or PS3 to a slim model makes me think we should just get a new console altogether.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Sony and Microsoft are in no hurry for new consoles. Both companies do not want to endure the start-up costs of a new system just yet. Same here. I just became a dual-console owner this year and I'm not ready to spend more money on more consoles. I say wait it out 'til 2012.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Mrbob said:

If you really want performance out of your gaming machine, PC is the way to go atm (maybe you do already).

OldJadedGamer said:
Entry price is $199 but it should be lowered to $150 if they want to move a lot of units come Xmas time. I think September 2008 was the last price drop which is just plain silly.
The 4GB Arcade will probably launch for $199 and then have a price drop when Kinect comes out. Kinect Arcade Bundle for $299, maybe with a game or two. Which still seems too high considering the audience they're going for, but then again people are willing to pay $500 for phones so what the hell do I know.

jrricky

Banned
Aaron Strife said:
I don't think Peace Walker would do terribly on Wii. In fact I'm surprised that there hasn't been an MGS released for the system already. All that exposure to Nintendo fans that Snake got in Brawl.
I hate MGS games, but more games on the Wii for people that like this stuff is not bad....but, Konami wasted all the potential.:lol :lol

Great business sense aint it?:lol :lol

wth at transformers.

i figured it sold way less then that because of the low online numbers for MP.

guess it sold mostly for its single player?

Mrbob

I'm already gaming 1080P on my PC, no worries there. :p Borderlands is so nice at 1080P and 60fps...sometimes I use a wired 360 controller to play it as well. This is why I also want it on consoles but I am getting close to building a HTPC since I don't see a new system in sight. It isn't a deal breaker for me since I'll still game on 360 and PS3 regardless, but I wouldn't mind an option for a bit more.

I really don't want a new generation of consoles either. Since everyone is trading in their consoles for new ones like suggested, why not make a "super" console of sorts. Games look exactly the same, but can run a better on the "super" system. Developers already have to take this into account with a PC version of a game in a multi platform release....why not extend it to consoles? You can have two different versions of the same game. One the baseline version and then one the "super" version. I think this would be more of an incentive to upgrade your system, and then those who do not want to upgrade are not left out as they can still play the game.

Edit: Oh here we go the anticipation for PW numbers!

Mrbob said:
I really don't want a new generation of consoles either. Since everyone is trading in their consoles for new ones like suggested, why not make a "super" console of sorts. Games look exactly the same, but can run a better on the "super" system. Developers already have to take this into account with a PC version of a game in a multi platform release....why not extend it to consoles? You can have two different versions of the same game. One the baseline version and then one the "super" version. I think this would be more of an incentive to upgrade your system, and then those who do not want to upgrade are not left out as they can still play the game.
I still think that's a good idea, last time I brought it up I was chewed out though.

Jin34

Mrbob said:
I'm already gaming 1080P on my PC, no worries there. :p Borderlands is so nice at 1080P and 60fps...sometimes I use a wired 360 controller to play it as well. This is why I also want it on consoles but I am getting close to building a HTPC since I don't see a new system in sight. It isn't a deal breaker for me since I'll still game on 360 and PS3 regardless, but I wouldn't mind an option for a bit more.

Edit: Oh here we go the anticipation for PW numbers!

That's what some here have speculated about the Wii successor. A PS360+ hardware that has the "superior" version of 3rd party games.

soldat7

Massa said:
I wouldn't call a PSP game designed to be played coop with ad-hoc only "Western focused".

You can play the whole stinking game by yourself with no problems whatsoever. This idea that MGS Peace Walker is an inaccessible Japan-centric online co-op game is silly.

ElFly said:
But is Reach a mainline game, when it's not named Halo 4?

Of course. It's the most feature-rich Halo game yet and a direct prequel to the original Halo.

SlipperySlope said:
Are they going to be porting Peace Walker to the 3DS?

This would make some sense...I found it a little odd that they would want to port MGS3. Maybe it's subterfuge (and we'll get both!)

OldJadedGamer said:

Well, they're the best selling console the month that they reduced the price for the old model and launched a new slim model, and in the country where the brand is located.

Yeah, that's great for Microsoft, but the units sold are not something really impressive if we care about the context.

They need urgently a good first party lineup.

I know that here we're discussing about NPD numbers, not worldwide, but the "first party games doesn't matter, look the numbers" argument is not very convincing.

JaxJag

Banned
DangerousDave said:
Well, they're the best selling console the month that they reduced the price for the old model and launched a new slim model, and in the country where the brand is located.

Yeah, that's great for Microsoft, but the units sold are not something really impressive if we care about the context.

They need urgently a good first party lineup.
I know that here we're discussing about NPD numbers, not worldwide, but the "first party games doesn't matter, look the numbers" argument is not very convincing.

Do they really though? Fable 2 alone pretty much outsold all of their HD competitors 1st party games. Then when you add in Gears of War and Halo, Microsoft's 1st paty lineup seems overwhelmingly more successful than Sony's.

mujun

OldJadedGamer said:

Because some great exclusives would be nice.

DMeisterJ

Banned
JaxJag said:
Do they really though? Fable 2 alone pretty much outsold all of their HD competitors 1st party games. Then when you add in Gears of War and Halo, Microsoft's 1st paty lineup seems overwhelmingly more successful than Sony's.
Gears isn't first party.

JaxJag said:

I like Uncharted 2 and LBP a lot more than any of the 360 exclusives (except Banjo Kazooie. I loved that game).

I guess 50k for Peace Walker. A shame it can't even sell as well as DS games that have been out for years and have already sold millions of copies.

donny2112 said:
$299, unless you're talking about clearance prices. The Arcade Slim hasn't been announced/released, yet.

True dat, $299 is the cost of entry right now.

DMeisterJ said:
Gears isn't first party.

We've been down this road a million times. I personally think that only first party games are ones that are made by studios owned by the console maker but every time I bring it up I'm quickly told that when a console maker funds and publishes a third party game then it's considered a first party title. Gears falls under this distinction.

mujun said:
Because some great exclusives would be nice.

I have all the systems. To me, there is no such thing as an exclusive but this is a sales thread and I'm thinking of it from a sales point of view.

JaxJag said:

Well, it's better to keep this discussion to a more apropiate thread.

bj00rn_

Banned
DangerousDave said:
Well, it's better to keep this discussion to a more apropiate thread.

Yeah, we better keep sales numbers in sales numbers threads instead of in sales numbers threads.

Top Bottom