• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2010

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Bizzyb said:
I guess for a dying platform that is pretty decent. Still, it's being unofficially touted as MGS5, and in that regard, that's pretty damn pathetic.
I don't think he meant amazing in a good way.

MGS:pO sold 120.000

In December
In a month when nearly 1M of PSP were sold

52k seems logical, with a lot of the userbase with CF, pirating the game or not being able to upgrade to the last firmware without loosing CF

BTW, is funny to look back in those december 2006 threads and see how the people said that PSP was dead... nearly four years ago.

AniHawk

DangerousDave said:

In December

52k seems logical, with a lot of the userbase with CF, pirating the game or not being able to upgrade to the last firmware without loosing CF

BTW, is funny to look back in those december 2006 threads and see how the people said that PSP was dead... nearly four years ago.

yeah, that thing sure has shambled a long way.

D.Lo

I'm sure 3rd parties will give the PSP another 'just one more shot' in another six months while they ready their latest Partyz: The Rail Chronicles sequel for the Wii.

AniHawk

D.Lo said:
I'm sure 3rd parties will give the PSP another 'just one more shot' in another six months while they ready their latest Partyz: The Rail Chronicles sequel for the Wii.

I'm sure everyone will be dead by then.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The PSP's continued existence irreparably damages Sony's reputation in the handheld sector every day it is not killed. Sony needs third parties to believe that they perform better on their platform than on Nintendo's to get the third party support they get. It's the same strategy that Sony and Microsoft employ in the console space that has largely won developer support. 3DS shows how this has completely fallen apart in the handheld space. Every day the PSP lives is another day a third party of any degree of saneness must write off Sony in the space until he or she is shown otherwise.

(All comments relate to North America)

Jokeropia

OldJadedGamer said:
NPD doesn't count bundles as there is no way to prove the person was buying the system for the game.
NPD tracks every single SKU but counts everything separately, it's up to the person reporting the numbers to add the related SKU's together.

Beth Cyra

Y2Kev said:
The PSP's continued existence irreparably damages Sony's reputation in the handheld sector every day it is not killed. Sony needs third parties to believe that they perform better on their platform than on Nintendo's to get the third party support they get. It's the same strategy that Sony and Microsoft employ in the console space that has largely won developer support. 3DS shows how this has completely fallen apart in the handheld space. Every day the PSP lives is another day a third party of any degree of saneness must write off Sony in the space until he or she is shown otherwise.

I am certainly not going to argue with this as I have no reason to but it does make me wonder about something.

I remember reading alot about how some people thought that all the support that Nintendo showed off at E3 wouldn't acctually pan out, and it would be something that we looked back on and laughed at.

But when I read this post it sounds like this couldn't be further from the truth and that the dev commmunity really is looking to the 3DS as very strong platform for them in future and we will indeed see support so strong that it would only be rivaled by the PS2.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think 3DS is going to be PS2-esque. Just an absolute monster. Maybe even more dominant in terms of share of support.

Mrbob

With the new rating system, you can get a small guideline as to how a game sold. I notice there are only around 2000 ratings for Metal Gear Peace Walker on PSN. Not exactly a scientific method, since we found out Joe Danger sold 50K its first week and only has around 1700 ratings on PSN i believe. I'm guessing the PSP Metal Gear bundle sold around 50K if we attempt to extrapolate from last months numbers. Still not that hot of a number overall though, unless it sold a couple hundred thousand on PSN!

Y2Kev said:

Probably could apply this to Europe too.

FLEABttn

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I think 3DS is going to be PS2-esque. Just an absolute monster. Maybe even more dominant in terms of share of support.

If only we were to be so lucky. The last gen was some good times.

Owzers

DangerousDave said:

In December

PSP surprised everyone and became a huge successssslololololololol.

Y2Kev said:
The PSP's continued existence irreparably damages Sony's reputation in the handheld sector. Sony needs third parties to believe that they perform better on their platform than on Nintendo's to get the third party support they get. It's the same strategy that Sony and Microsoft employ in the console space that has largely won developer support. 3DS shows how this has completely fallen apart in the handheld space. Every day the PSP lives is another day a third party of any degree of saneness must write off Sony in the space until he or she is shown otherwise.

The main problem, even more than piracy, is the custom firmware. When Dark Alex updated the CF, people bought original games even if they were able to piracy them. It obviously affect sales, but it was not something as low as now because they were able to combine scene + originals.

But, after DA left the scene, and CF was not uptaded anymore, people with PSP had to choose between scene + piracy or upgrade to play games legally but lose the scene.

So, even if PSP userbase ir around 50M (worldwide), there are a lot of millions of people that uses CF to piracy games, a lot of million of people with CF that maybe are not pirates, but they don't want to update and lose the CF, a lot of million of people without CF, but old firmware that they don't want to upgrade, waiting the scene to find an exploit, and a lot of million of people that forgot the PSP somewhere, gathering dust, because of the lack of games of the last 2 years.

AniHawk

Y2Kev said:

It's going to have a tough road ahead of it with so many new types of handhelds bringing games to people. The DS is almost the best selling system of all time.

Beth Cyra

Y2Kev said:

Is this with the idea that we will see a PSP2 that far outstrips the 3DS in power?

If so do you think things will level out where the 3DS is the Ps2, and the PSP2 holds the space of an Xbox/GCN?

KingDizzi

Banned
Y2Kev said:

If we are going to get a PSP2 these big publishers will know about it by now and will make choices accordingly. Nothing is personal in business and it's all about money, the way things are going though with the PSP I do agree with you.

That said it's quite amazing how quickly things can change. For example Monster hunter released on PSP, done well and it seems know every week there is a close being announced for it. In the world of ifs, if the PSP2 released with absolutely no 3rd party support, first party titles sold well and Sony showed it is a viable platform then 3rd parties will jump for it.

If......the way PSP is going there is more chance I will become an F1 driver than the PSP2 doing well. I'm a serious optimist though and whatever happens will be going handheld only next gen, just if there were two platforms I think it would be better.

Takao

Banned
Mrbob said:
With the new rating system, you can get a small guideline as to how a game sold. I notice there are only around 2000 ratings for Metal Gear Peace Walker on PSN. Not exactly a scientific method, since we found out Joe Danger sold 50K its first week and only has around 1700 ratings on PSN i believe. I'm guessing the PSP Metal Gear bundle sold around 50K if we attempt to extrapolate from last months numbers. Still not that hot of a number overall though, unless it sold a couple hundred thousand on PSN!

Don't bother looking at PSN ratings as a way to verify sales. PSN ratings are only available on PS3 and PC (via MediaGo), and they're divided by regions. Not exactly the best way to judge the performance of a game digitally when the only way to rate it is on platforms you can't play the game on.

Diseased Yak said:
One thing that isn't counted by NPD is PSN sales of PW. Not that I'm getting my hopes up that they were stellar or anything...
Don't try to hide your feelings, it'll eat you inside.

DangerousDave said:
The main problem, even more than piracy, is the custom firmware. When Dark Alex updated the CF, people bought original games even if they were able to piracy them. It obviously affect sales, but it was not something as low as now because they were able to combine scene + originals.

But, after DA left the scene, and CF was not uptaded anymore, people with PSP had to choose between scene + piracy or upgrade to play games legally but lose the scene.

So, even if PSP userbase ir around 50M (worldwide), there are a lot of millions of people that uses CF to piracy games, a lot of million of people with CF that maybe are not pirates, but they don't want to update and lose the CF, a lot of million of people without CF, but old firmware that they don't want to upgrade, waiting the scene to find an exploit, and a lot of million of people that forgot the PSP somewhere, gathering dust, because of the lack of games of the last 2 years.
This assumes people buy the PSP to use custom firmware in the first place.

Gravijah

TruePrime said:
Is this with the idea that we will see a PSP2 that far outstrips the 3DS in power?

If so do you think things will level out where the 3DS is the Ps2, and the PSP2 holds the space of an Xbox/GCN?

Are we talking hardware or software?

Y2Kev said:

What if a PSP2 is just around the corner though? A lot of people didn't expect the 3DS to be announced at the time it was. And for Sony, a PSP2 would be like starting on a new, clean slate. If Sony could convince publishers to revitalise PSP support with the PSP Go, then who knows what they can do with a PSP2?

Beth Cyra

DangerousDave said:

But this only really works for PSP 2000 and below.

I can't see this being a real issue with 3000 and Go given the difficulty to get pirated games on one of them and the inability on the other.

Not only that but other groups have picked up Custom Firmware. I know because I am still running CFW but I am still playing all the latest games and I have purchased each one of them.

Though I guess the scene could have changed as the last game I bought was G VS G NP, so maybe if something happened between Dec of last year and now you could be right.

Beth Cyra

Gravijah said:
Are we talking hardware or software?

I mean software, like I said given his post it really seemed as though the dev community really has faith that there software will sell on 3DS.

TruePrime said:
I mean software, like I said given his post it really seemed as though the dev community really has faith that there software will sell on 3DS.
Third party support hype is always high at launch, I wouldn't bet on guaranteed support. Hopefully third parties learnt a few lesson or two from this gen though and rectify it with the 3DS.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Surely Peace Walker sales will be up this month thanks to that $20 sale! +1 from me even if I don't intend on playing it any time soon... x.x

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DMeisterJ said:
Gears isn't first party.

This is so dumb. Heavy Rain is first party. Ratchet is first party. Lair is first party. Folklore is first party. Resistance is first party. Do you agree with all of these assessments?

Beth Cyra

BishopLamont said:
Third party support hype is always high at launch, I wouldn't bet on guaranteed support. Hopefully third parties learnt a few lesson or two from this gen though and rectify it with the 3DS.

Well the thing is we are seeing decent to great Third Party support on the PSP, and if the dev community really does swtich over then I don't see why it would taper off after launch.

I mean at least on the JPN front we have what might be strongest year of third party support ever for a handheld.

MGS PW, The 3rd Birthday, Kingdom Hearts (Plus Agito in the future), Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, and more.

Sure those will do well in Japan, but I can't see them sticking to exclusives in the next gen to a platform that doesn't sale anywhere in the world outside of Japan. Why would they? Unlike DS, 3DS has the power to do the kinda stuff the big devs want on a handheld.

Opiate

Stumpokapow said:
This is so dumb. Heavy Rain is first party. Ratchet is first party. Lair is first party. Folklore is first party. Resistance is first party. Do you agree with all of these assessments?

I don't.

But there is also a big difference: most of those IPs are owned by Sony. Perhaps all of them. While Insomniac Factor 5 can go make other games for other systems, they will never make a Ratchet or Lair game for another system.

Not only can Epic go make other games for other systems, that game can in fact be Gears of War 4. Or Tecmo can (and did) go and make Ninja Gaiden for another system. That's an important distinction. So not only do I think Heavy Rain is second party (or third), this is even more true for Gears.

Opiate said:
I don't.

But there is also a big difference: most of those IPs are owned by Sony. Perhaps all of them. While Insomniac Factor 5 can go make other games for other systems, they will never make a Ratchet or Lair game for another system.

Not only can Epic go make other games for other systems, that game can in fact be Gears of War 4. That's an important distinction. So not only do I think Heavy Rain is second party (or third), this is even more true for Gears.

The Sony funded and published Spyro and Crash games for the PS1 were and are considered first party titles yet Sony didn't own the IPs to these games and these franchises of course appeared on other systems.

Opiate

OldJadedGamer said:
The Sony funded and published Spyro and Crash games for the PS1 were and are considered first party titles yet Sony didn't own the IPs to these games and these franchises of course appeared on other systems.

By whom? Who are these nebulous people you're referring to? I don't agree.

Is Ninja Gaiden 2 a first party 360 game? Honest question.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Stumpokapow said:
Opiate said:
I don't.

Not only can Epic go make other games for other systems, that game can in fact be Gears of War 4. Or Tecmo can (and did) go and make Ninja Gaiden for another system. That's an important distinction. So not only do I think Heavy Rain is second party (or third), this is even more true for Gears.
Yeah, I agree with Opiate here.

Heavy Rain, Ratchet, Lair, Folklore, and Resistance are all second party games made with Sony IPs while Gears is a second party game made with Epic's IP.

I feel it's often worth denoting IP rights when labeling a title second party, since it does leave that ambiguity.

KingDizzi

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

I certainly don't. I see first party being studios owned by the console company which they run so for example Sony run NG, PD etc, no such thing as second party and 3rd party are studios independently run and the console companies fund them to make an exclusive. Sony just own the IP's you mentioned, the studios making those IP's can make games for other console manufacturers at any time. eg Insomniac

What DMeister said is not dumb, people saying shit like “sucker punch is second party” is dumb. Again for example the inFamous IP may belong to Sony but at any time they could make a game for Nintendo and MS hence they are 3rd party hired to make exclusives.

Easy peasy.

TruePrime said:
Well the thing is we are seeing decent to great Third Party support on the PSP, and if the dev community really does swtich over then I don't see why it would taper off after launch.

I mean at least on the JPN front we have what might be strongest year of third party support ever for a handheld.

MGS PW, The 3rd Birthday, Kingdom Hearts (Plus Agito in the future), Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, and more.

Sure those will do well in Japan, but I can't see them sticking to exclusives in the next gen to a platform that doesn't sale anywhere in the world outside of Japan. Why would they? Unlike DS, 3DS has the power to do the kinda stuff the big devs want on a handheld.
I'm not arguing whether the 3DS will steal support from the PSP, that much is a given, rather if western devs will support the 3DS like an actual console or just give it the ghetto treatment like they always have. No doubt the 3DS will be king in Japan, it'd take a PS3 style suicide for that not to be true.

evangd007

DMeisterJ said:
Sony and Microsoft are in no hurry for new consoles. Both companies do not want to endure the start-up costs of a new system just yet. Same here. I just became a dual-console owner this year and I'm not ready to spend more money on more consoles. I say wait it out 'til 2012.

This mentality however hurts publishers. Having to compete with a larger backlog will siphon sales away from new releases. In addition, the time to make new IPs and experiment with new ideas is generally the start of a console cycle when the consoles do not have an identity yet. Sony and Microsoft may not have realized that there was a very good reason for the 5-6 years life cycle.

Stumpokapow said:

Dragon Quest IX is not Nintendo first party.

those peace walker numbers are so bad it makes me doubt third birthday or even agito will get localized

assuming kh:bbs sells well, couldn't these poor sales be blamed on the previous 4 psp mgs being lame? not that piracy didn't have a negative impact, but 52k is so low

Top Bottom