• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2010

NeoUltima

Trying to come up with explanations for hardware jump over last month.

Wii and DS while high are still within their normal numbers.
360 boosts cause slim/price drop on old models.
Ps3 supply issues finally solved?
PSP boost cause of ... Marcus campaign?!

Gravijah

Ushojax said:
Well it was on the PSP. And it followed the worst MGS game released (4). I don't think anybody cared. I certainly didn't, and I loved MGS3.

If you love MGS3, you need to play MGS:pW.

Pooya

New releases in June missing from top 10:
- Alpha Protocol
- Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
- Other SKUs of Toy Story 3 and Lego Harry Potter
- Singularity
- Transformers WfC
- Tiger Woods

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, and I mentioned it in the other thread, but if you're looking for a bit of a 'story' here, isn't it that the 360 only clipped the PS3 by 150K despite the price drop and new console?

Pent up demand. The PS3 has been low on supply for months. They finally got the stock in. It is only logical that there would be a bump this month.

fernoca

Well, a few things..
1. Title should be 'for June 2010'.. :p

2. For the Xbox 360, June was the month of:
  • Slim release at $299.99
  • Arcade units at $149.99
  • Elite units at $249.99
  • Special Edition Elites (with 250GB) for $299.99
  • Remaining Pro units at $199.99
(all -except the slims- included 2 games, except the special editions which included 1 game but 2 controllers)

3. For the PS3, it was the month of:
  • "Father's Day bundles"; which lasted for a few weeks, started also before Father's Day..bundles varied, from including a 250GB unit and 2 games; or 1 game and 1 HDMI cable. Also costing $50 less than the standalone 250GB units.
    1. LittleBigPlanet + inFamous: Gamestop
    2. LittleBigPlanet + HDMI cable: Target
    3. NBA+MLB (forgot the years) : Wal-Mart
    4. Best Buy also had a different bundle..

4. The PSP recieved the limited edition Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker bundle; which might explain the jump in sales of hardware, and the lack of Peace Walker -software- in the Top 10 at least.

Mileena

Banned
miladesn said:
- Alpha Protocol
- Other dSKUs of Toy Story 3 and Lego Harry Potter
- Singularity
- Transformers WfC
- Tiger Wood
+ Green Day Rock Bomba

Road

Valtor said:
Will Wii ever catch up to DS?
After 44 months:

NDS - 20.7M
WII - 29.7M

Answering your question: Who knows? (DS started slowly, then exploded; Wii exploded, then slowed down.)

Ridley327

miladesn said:
- Alpha Protocol
- Other dSKUs of Toy Story 3 and Lego Harry Potter
- Singularity
- Transformers WfC
- Tiger Wood
Of those titles, I think that Tiger Woods is the most surprising omission, but I guess the fallout over his infidelity hurt the game more than EA was hoping for.

Tmac

360 come out in top, but, considering that a lot of those sales are from people just replacing their existing xboxs, that number isnt impressive at all. PS3 had a similar YOY increase without any novelty factor in place.

GeoramA

PS3 didn't get slaughtered by Wii and slim 360?

Guess they sorted out their supply issues...still can't find a slim PS3 around here, though.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Gravijah said:
If you love MGS3, you need to play MGS:pW.

The game costs a ridiculous amount on the UK PSN (yes, I have a Go :lol ), £31.99 or something. Konami are on crack if they think I'll pay that much.

Tmac said:
360 come out in top, but, considering that a lot of those sales are from people just replacing their existing xboxs, that number isnt impressive at all. PS3 had a similar YOY increase without any novelty factor in place.

Haha, that's just silly.
The sales came from people getting the Arcade for $100 or less.

Frillen

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, and I mentioned it in the other thread, but if you're looking for a bit of a 'story' here, isn't it that the 360 only clipped the PS3 by 150K despite the price drop and new console?

Only 150k? That's pretty much consider it's June.

Gravijah

Ushojax said:
The game costs a ridiculous amount on the UK PSN (yes, I have a Go :lol ), £31.99 or something. Konami are on crack if they think I'll pay that much.

Oh, you have a Go? My apologies.

V_Arnold

Tmac said:

Yeah, because OBVIOUSLY, no one replaced their old PS3 to the new, and A LOT people (backed up by nice anecdotal evidence, let me guess that) just bought one more 360 to themselves.

Is not this the same as "banned console rebuy", which is bannable? :p

V_Ben

Banned
Ushojax said:

I bought it from the UK PSN. Me and a friend split the cost :lol

Takao

Banned
Americans follow the path given to them by the Europeans and ignore the portable game of the year and the second best Metal Gear game for trash.

Stay classy.

Lunchbox

Banned
Takao said:
Americans follow the path given to them by the Europeans and ignore the portable game of the year
Stay classy.

not our fault. should've made it for the ps3

sold my psp, not buying another to play one game

Gravijah

Lunchbox said:
not our fault. should've made it for the ps3

sold my psp, not buying another to play one game

Good news! We'll probably get a sequel to PW on the 3DS!

Cow Mengde said:
Wait, the 360 Slim is already out or what?

Jeez dude, where have you been?

iceatcs

Not bad all the systems expect PSP. It is almost just like NPD Sept 2009 when PS3 Slim got first on home console.

Busaiku

Ridley327 said:
Of those titles, I think that Tiger Woods is the most surprising omission, but I guess the fallout over his infidelity hurt the game more than EA was hoping for.
I think another reason was the lack of advertisement.
I don't normally watch ESPN, so I cant' say for sure, but last year, I saw commercials on Cartoon Network though.

Also the fact that Motion Plus isn't their big focus this time around.

Ridley327

Takao said:
Americans follow the path given to them by the Europeans and ignore the portable game of the year and the second best Metal Gear game for trash.

Stay classy.
Placing your hopes in MGS to reverse the software trends that the PSP has been consistently following for the past four years in the West is, to put it mildly, fucking idiotic. There was nothing that Konami could do for the game that would have helped it to avoid this fate. Sony fucked up bad; Sony fucked up real bad.

Tmac

AceBandage said:
Haha, that's just silly.
The sales came from people getting the Arcade for $100 or less.

Thats the point, the 360 had a lot going on, this is why june's result is somewhat lacking for the 360.

Gravijah

Busaiku said:
I think another reason was the lack of advertisement.
I don't normally watch ESPN, so I cant' say for sure, but last year, I saw commercials on Cartoon Network though.

Also the fact that Motion Plus isn't their big focus this time around.

Most of the Tiger Woods ads I have seen have been on sports blogs and not on the TV.

Tmac said:
There was at least 1 novelty factor in place: the Gamestop $200 trade-in for any PS3s. I'm sure a few took advantage of it to get a brand new slim PS3 to replace their older consoles.

stupei

Takao said:

Stay classy.

The fuck? :lol

Top Bottom