• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2010

Ridley327 said:
Of those titles, I think that Tiger Woods is the most surprising omission, but I guess the fallout over his infidelity hurt the game more than EA was hoping for.
South Park's "domestic assault simulator" edition of Tiger Woods would have easily landed the game in the Top 10. It's a shame, really.

Not a very exciting month really. 360 got an expected bump from the slim and titles that were selling well last month continue to do so this month. Sucks that Peace Walker didn't do better though, it's a great game.

DMeisterJ

Banned
PS3 supply must really be in place now for this kind of hold... Should be an interesting holiday season.
lets try this again

Ridley327

Talamius said:
Good to see hardware up.

I'm torn on which is more surprising: Galaxy 2's legs, or Alan Wake complete bomba.
I cannot imagine why you'd be surprised that a Mario game would have huge legs, so I'd go with door number 2.

Now can we declare the PSP dead and agree that Sony should kill it?

Even non-threatening minority stereotypes can't convince people to buy PSP games. And this is supposed to be Metal Gear Solid 5.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Takao said:
Americans follow the path given to them by the Europeans and ignore the portable game of the year and the second best Metal Gear game for trash.

Stay classy.

The portable MGS games will do better once they start hitting the 3DS.

Takao said:
Americans follow the path given to them by the Europeans and ignore the portable game of the year and the second best Metal Gear game for trash.

Stay classy.
I don't know if this really needs to be pointed out, but developers making PSP games should or already have realized that their games are not going to do well outside of Japan. Kingdom Hearts has the absolute best chance of any PSP game released in the last three years and even that isn't going to cause a frenzy or anything.

Quality doesn't really matter in this instance. You're essentially marketing to the people that - Have a PSP - Buy PSP games - Like Action-style portable games - Like Metal Gear games, etc. And you're shocked that a small number of people are what's left after that?

It's like putting up a day spa near Chernobyl in 1987 and wondering where all the people are. It can be the best damn day spa this side of Alaska, but it's still a fucking disaster area.

Frillen

Talamius said:
Good to see hardware up.

I'm torn on which is more surprising: Galaxy 2's legs, or Alan Wake complete bomba.

A Mario game having legs. How is that surprising? :lol

As for Alan Wake. It bearely entered the top 10 last month. Not really surprisng that it dropped off.

Mudkips

Banned
An NPD thread that isn't on page 10 by the time I first see it?
For readability.

Code:
PlayStation 3  304.8K
PSP            121.0K
Xbox 360       451.7K
Wii            422.5K
Nintendo DS    510.7K

Top 10 VG Console/Portable SKU’s June 2010

Title                        Platform       Publisher           Release Date    Units

RED DEAD REDEMPTION             360    TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE          May-10      582.9K
SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2            WII    NINTENDO                    May-10      548.4K
RED DEAD REDEMPTION             PS3    TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE          May-10      380.3K
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII       WII    NINTENDO                    Nov-09      200.9K
JUST DANCE                      WII    UBISOFT                     Nov-09      174.8K
WII FIT PLUS W/ BALANCE BOARD*  WII    NINTENDO                    Oct-09
TOY STORY 3                     NDS    DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS  Jun-10
UFC 2010: UNDISPUTED            360    THQ                         May-10
LEGO HARRY POTTER: YEARS 1-4    WII    WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE    Jun-10
UFC 2010: UNDISPUTED            PS3    THQ                         May-10

Elios83

DMeisterJ said:
PS3 supply must really be in place now for this kind of hold...

LOL yeah Tretton is happy about that too :lol :lol

"PS3 inventory issues have been resolved and June 2010 marks the 11th consecutive month of year on year growth for the platform," the company said in a statement.

Sony noted that there are nearly 13 million PS3 units in living rooms across the U.S. and that hardware unit sales are up 85 percent since June 2009 and 42 percent since January 2010.

"Video games are fueling new innovation for the entire consumer entertainment category and today's numbers are a testament to the big impact we'll play this holiday," said Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA.

"With a healthy flow of PS3s back in the channel, and eleven months of PS3's consecutive growth behind us, we're confident the PS3 will become the main entertainment hub for many new consumers this year and provide countless reasons to congregate in the living room."

Takao

Banned
Ridley327 said:
Placing your hopes in MGS to reverse the software trends that the PSP has been consistently following for the past four years in the West is, to put it mildly, fucking idiotic. There was nothing that Konami could do for the game that would have helped it to avoid this fate. Sony fucked up bad; Sony fucked up real bad.

I expected it to sell more than what a Final Fantasy spinoff did in a week on PSP in the US (130k) last year, which I doubt it has if you don't count hardware bundles.

Lunchbox said:
not our fault. should've made it for the ps3

sold my psp, not buying another to play one game

You sold PSP, great game comes out for it, ask for it to be on PS3. In your case, that's no one but your fault. :lol

Tabz

Sony: The PS3 Shortage Is Over

"PS3 inventory issues have been resolved and June 2010 marks the 11th consecutive month of year on year growth for the platform," the company said in a statement.

Sony noted that there are nearly 13 million PS3 units in living rooms across the U.S. and that hardware unit sales are up 85 percent since June 2009 and 42 percent since January 2010.

"Video games are fueling new innovation for the entire consumer entertainment category and today's numbers are a testament to the big impact we'll play this holiday," said Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA.

"With a healthy flow of PS3s back in the channel, and eleven months of PS3's consecutive growth behind us, we're confident the PS3 will become the main entertainment hub for many new consumers this year and provide countless reasons to congregate in the living room."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1106530p1.html

Jigsaw

Banned
poor peace walker,its a damn shame...konami wanted to sell 4 million?call it mgs5 next time :\

what are the chances birth by sleep will make it into the top 10?

MemoirsofMimi said:
Something wrong with you for thinking such a niche game would crack the top 10.

It would be lucky to sell 10,000 in its first week.

I was going to say something about demo units being at most of the Gamestops I visit but then I remembered that the only time they got so much as a look was when people passed by going "WTF?".

Aside from the genre I'll say the character design killed it. The two main characters look terrible.

DeadGzuz said:
I wonder how many of those are new 360 owners?

Where were these posts with the PS3 slim?

Tmac said:
Thats the point, the 360 had a lot going on, this is why june's result is somewhat lacking for the 360.

How much should they have sold then?

You're comparing 360 sales to PS3 sales and ignoring the fact that they finally got stock in hence the boost.

I am pretty confident that 360 will outsell the PS3 by as much or maybe more next month.

V_Ben

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I don't know if this really needs to be pointed out, but developers making PSP games should or already have realized that their games are not going to do well outside of Japan. Kingdom Hearts has the absolute best chance of any PSP game released in the last three years and even that isn't going to cause a frenzy or anything.

Quality doesn't really matter in this instance. You're essentially marketing to the people that - Have a PSP - Buy PSP games - Like Action-style portable games - Like Metal Gear games, etc. And you're shocked that a small number of people are what's left after that?

It's like putting up a day spa near Chernobyl in 1987 and wondering where all the people are. It can be the best damn day spa this side of Alaska, but it's still a fucking disaster area.

Perfect. :lol

Ridley327

Takao said:
I expected it to sell more than what a Final Fantasy spinoff did in a week on PSP in the US (130k) last year, which I doubt it has if you don't count hardware bundles.

You sold PSP, great game comes out for it, ask for it to be on PS3. In your case, that's no one but your fault. :lol
Final Fantasy games are the only PSP games that chart anymore. I'm sure KH will do OK, but it's definitely not going to get anywhere close to the PS2 games.

Expecting a franchise that already made a bad impression with three critically divided spin-offs to change those people's minds was also a bit foolish.

I think the price cut was a big factor in the 360 sales. 150$ is a jump on point for people who had a Wii or were still Ps2 only and want to be able to play the games that are actually advertised on tv all the time.

The bomba of Green Day Rock Band isn't too surprising either, it should have been a budget priced release....

Rainier

First month this year THAT the 360 beats the Wii, so yes... we should all question how poorly the 360 did compared the PS3.

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
I think the price cut was a big factor in the 360 sales. 150$ is a jump on point for people who had a Wii or were still Ps2 only and want to be able to play the games that are actually advertised on tv all the time.

And the drop was only temporary to clear out old stock. I'm sure they will drop the S arcade to $150 this Xmas for another boost in sales.

jedimike

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, and I mentioned it in the other thread, but if you're looking for a bit of a 'story' here, isn't it that the 360 only clipped the PS3 by 150K despite the price drop and new console?

Uhh... "clipped" would be <10k. Xbox outsold PS3 by over 50%. That may not be an ass whooping, but it's a very strong beat down.

Top Bottom