• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2013 [Up2: 360/3DS Hardware, AC/LM/DK Digital + Retail]

Gorillaz

OUYA < 2K

image.php

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ha ha ha haaaaaaa. VITA VICTORY. THE FUTURE OF INDIE GAMES.

From what I can tell he does this a lot, it's his predictions.

On the nose for the last 2 NPD's before we got more confirmations. Don't think he'd keep doing this if he didn't have numeros from somewhere.

NeoUltima

That Diamond and Pearl number is wrong. Regardless, NPD considers them different games.

MGS4, yes.

Yikes it is wrong. Guess I shouldn't trust wikis.

It's funny cause that page I linked to has a link to the actual numbers which are only a fraction. Weird lol.

More to the point, Diamond and Pearl released in APRIL 2007. Not June. The June number is probably cumulative till that point.
Ahhh I see. That's it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Based on this: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_Fastest_selling_video_games

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl sold 1.757 million in June 2007. edit: the pokemon numbers are whack

MGS4 sold 775k in June 2008.

I will assume those are the top 2 selling games from June in NPD history. I could be wrong though. (edit: looking back in history I don't think I am though)

And the next highest selling SCE game was Uncharted 3 with 700,000.

Based on this, TLOU sold between 700k and 775k. I think. Unless I am missing a high selling June game. And/or the MGS4 number should also include PS3 bundles, which would bump MGS4 to 1 million, putting TLOU between 700k and 1 million.

That Diamond and Pearl number is wrong. Regardless, NPD considers them different games.

MGS4, yes.
More to the point, Diamond and Pearl released in APRIL 2007. Not June. The June number is probably cumulative till that point.

wrowa

The best buy demos did nothing though and sales even dropped weekly with game and wario out. July will be terrible

Definitely. Nothing's going to change until Nintendo releases notable games and ideally also drops the price of the console. Game & Wario is quite frankly an unappealing piece of shit, I don't even understand why they bothered to release it now. They should have released it this fall in between other games, that way some people who buy the console for the Fall/Winter line-up might have picked up it too. As it is, it's been an irrelevant release on a console no one cares for right now. Not sure how Nintendo planned to sell copies of that thing.

Anyway, "notable games" is really the big problem. When your most important game is fucking Pikmin, you know that you've got a big problem. It's a great game, but too ... special to really boost hardware sales. What Nintendo needs is a big game to sandwiches their Summer and Winter line-up. Right now, they are going to release quite a few games with decent sales potential in the upcoming months, but without a big game that spurs sales, I doubt any of those will live up to their potential.

And even the Winter line-up is horribly reminiscent of last year's. Their biggest game is Mario 3D World, and even if the 3D Land concept might be more appealing than classic 3D Mario, people could easily get the impression that they don't need to buy a new console for a game that they can play in similar form on their handheld. Similar to what happened with NSMB2 and NSMBU last year.

donny2112

By the looks.

That's also in historically Nintendo's largest market by a lot.

Will be interesting to see the effects of an effectively dead Nintendo home console on Nintendo console sales next generation in the U.S. (Note: GameCube sales in the U.S. had a decent LTD, so that gen would not provide a reference point, in my opinion.) Would Nintendo cut out early for a new next-gen system after three years? They did it with DS/GBA due to the threat of the PSP, so wouldn't say it was impossible.

Bruno MB

If Microsoft didn't ignore handheld consoles, they probably wouldn't tell us how much Xbox 360 did in those months it's not the best selling system. So that's a good thing.

Petrae

IF that OUYA number verifies? Yikes. That's awful. More people likely bought PS2 and PSP units, and those are dead.

Raist

Banned
Based on this, TLOU sold between 700k and 775k. I think. Unless I am missing a high selling June game. And/or the MGS4 number should also include PS3 bundles, which would bump MGS4 to 1 million, putting TLOU between 700k and 1 million.

Huh. No. It's the second highest selling 1st party game, so below 1.1M (GoW3) but higher than 700k (U3). It's also the highest selling title overall in June since 1995, so higher than 775k (MGS4).

So it's between 775k and 1.1M.

Will be interesting to see the effects of an effectively dead Nintendo home console on Nintendo console sales next generation in the U.S. (Note: GameCube sales in the U.S. had a decent LTD, so that gen would not provide a reference point, in my opinion.) Would Nintendo cut out early for a new next-gen system after three years? They did it with DS/GBA due to the thread of the PSP, so wouldn't say it was impossible.

I still think they should but can't because if they release in 2015/early 2016 the lineup will be barren and then they wont have anything for the 4DS a year later. Release whatever games you have in development for wiiu and then cut it. But they might be left with a dud for 6 years

NeoUltima

Huh. No. It's the second highest selling 1st party game, so below 1.1M (GoW3) but higher than 700k (U3). It's also the highest selling title overall in June since 1995, so higher than 775k (MGS4).

OP says third highest selling in June.

3rd highest june not highest

Will be interesting to see the effects of an effectively dead Nintendo home console on Nintendo console sales next generation in the U.S. (Note: GameCube sales in the U.S. had a decent LTD, so that gen would not provide a reference point, in my opinion.) Would Nintendo cut out early for a new next-gen system after three years? They did it with DS/GBA due to the thread of the PSP, so wouldn't say it was impossible.
I'm wondering myself.

I definitely think it will be in the cards if their lineup through next year doesn't have an appreciable effect on sales.

Nah.

The Last of Us was also the third highest game to launch during the month of June since NPD began tracking sales in 1995.”

I'm wondering myself.

I definitely think it will be in the cards if their lineup through next year doesn't have an appreciable effect on sales.

But if they do release in 2015 they could end up failing even harder if tthey go through the 2d mario,3d mario, mario kart, smash,etc. motions again. If the wiiu lineup fails on wiiu it will fail on their next system as well. Basically, nintendo is screwed if the wiiu doesn't pick up because there is nothing more they can really do. This is why relying on these ip so much is so dangerous. This is not to mention how much money they would lose. Nintendo is in a very tough spot

javac

Eeh, there's nowt wrong wi' a bit a glitter on your sandwich!

(That was my attempt at mixing pop-GAF and Yorkshire-GAF).

West Yorkshire represent! Lmao.

3DS picking up, TLOU doing great as is ACNL and year of Luigi in full force. Good good.

Hello Deadpool, you're game wasn't AAA, but it was decently priced and you're awesome.

Now lets get that movie out and before you're relegated to some background character Wolverine stylee in the new X-Force movie instead.

wrowa

After three years? Two years from now? That won't happen; designing a new home console today and developing games for it, is a monumental bigger task than developing games for a low-spec handheld. If Nintendo was to release the Wii U successor in 2015, they would need to start developing games now if they don't want to repeat Wii U's mistakes. And they quite obviously don't have the resources to do that right now; not to mention that their developers aren't even used to Wii U's specs yet and are likely still hoping that the Wii U will pick up this holiday season.

Top Bottom