• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2015 [Up2: Batman, Splatoon]

To be fair, weren't all of those games (except Uncharted, which was ok) pretty terrible iterations in their series? Not sure if that was going to make a difference, but I thought the CoD & AC reviews were pretty terrible (esp. CoD).

Call of Duty was terrible, 33 on GameRankings, Uncharted like you say was quite decent (81). Wipeout, FIFA, Killzone and AC all had 70+ games release on the system. There was also a bunch of not so good franchises.

However, the terrible games sold terribly even for being terrible games. And the better games also sold poorly despite being better.

You can project a range of what a good game might sell if you know what the bad games are selling. Sales were basically universally poor. And why dump $10 or $20 million on a Vita development if there's little chance of making a decent return? What's telling is how few pubs gave the Vita a second chance on the big franchises.

If there were 90+ rated games on the system perhaps it could have gained momentum, built a bigger base and then have that trickle down to SW sales. Unfortunately, that never happened.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Glad to see the xbone going up!
I mean sure... spin I guess.. . He is a Xbox marketing lead, like... What do you want him to say?
He actually acknowledge Sony doing great... I mean what a horrible human being, all the spinning and stuff.
do wonder why Greenberg's twitter hurt some gafers that much

they just standard company marketing stuff

not different to every other game company twitter really
Sorry, I have a unpopular opinion, I suppose I'm not worthy of actually having an argument as an answer...

just deflect to the tag, classy.

Now you see why I pointed out the tag?

vpance

So you think they raised captial to burn it by lowering the price of the PS4? I don't think they are going to take any losses on this machine. They are probably going to 350 this year (400 bundled) but I don't see why they wouldn't play the demand curve when they have a huge hit.

The price-demand model that they're looking at might actually show they could make more money in the long term by making a bigger price cut now, and taking a short term hit.

The drop to $299 is coming, either this year or the next. It's just a question of finding the best timing. I think most would agree that price cuts in the holidays gets the best bang for the buck.

The price-demand model that they're looking at might actually show they could make more money in the long term by making a bigger price cut now, and taking a short term hit.

The drop to $299 is coming, either this year or the next. It's just a question of finding the best timing. I think most would agree that price cuts in the holidays gets the best bang for the buck.

Reduce price... cause losses... sell more than before... take huge loss.... profit?

I get where you are coming from but they are selling a shitload of these things. The only way they lower the price to 299 is if they can make money selling the device at 299.

$349 with Stars Wars, Uncharted or COD bundled in should be the minimum they should do this Fall.

Minimum how? Like that's the lowest price they should go or that's minimum consumer friendly price they should meet? IMO they should match the Xbox One on price without a bundled game, continue to kill Microsoft in sales and reap the benefits of what they have sown. People are quick to jump on the 299 band wagon but last gen, the 20 GB Xbox 360 didn't hit 299 for 2.5 years. That's what you're probably looking at here.

Piggus

As a Canadian, I selfishly hope for a $100 price cut on the PS4, because I am almost positive that the Canadian price will stay at $449 if the US price drops $50 to $349. That would mean that two years after launch, we are still paying more than launch price here in Canada...

Positive world perception ain't free, bud.

Etnos

Banned
Now you see why I pointed out the tag?

I actually said

Glad to see the xbone going up!, say what you will about MS.. they sure are trying.

Overall decent up for the industry this year, awesome news!.
INDUSTRY

Either way, is liking a video game brand a punishable offence? I really don't understand your answer.

assume what you will, I actually mostly play on PC.

TomShoe

Banned
What does Sony have coming up? They're marketing seems to have died off...

(M) denotes Sony has a marketing deal for that particular game.

July - Journey, N++

August - Galak-Z, EGTTR, Until Dawn, Disney Infinity (M)

September - Mad Max (M), Metal Gear Solid V (M), Tearaway Unfolded, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 (M), NBA 2K16 (M)

October - Disgaea 5, Uncharted: TNDC, AC: Syndicate (M),

November - Call of Duty: BOIII (M), Star Wars: Battlefront (M)

December - Hitman 6 (M)

Let me know if I missed anything.

ZhugeEX

Banned

July 2015
F1 2015
Rocket League
Journey PS4
Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess
God of War III Remastered
Godzilla
Rory McIlroy PGA Tour
Trials Fusion: Awesome Level Max
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
Zombie Army Trilogy
Kings Quest
Onechanbara Z2: Chaos

August 2015
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Risen 3: Titan Lords - Enhanced Edition
Madden NFL 16
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3
The Talos Principle
Until Dawn
Dishonored: Definitive Edition

September
Mad Max
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence
Tearaway Unfolded
Guitar Hero Live
Destiny: The Taken King
Mighty No. 9
Skylanders SuperCharges (Starter Pack)
Fifa 16
LEGO Dimensions (Starter Pack)
NBA 2K16
NHL 16
Samurai Warriors 4-II
Adr1ft

October
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance
NBA Live 16
Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection
Dragon Quest Heroes
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
Adventure Time: Finn and Jake Investigations
Tales Of Zestiria
Assassins Creed Syndicate
WWE 2K16
Rock Band 4

Holiday
Need for Speed
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Fallout 4
Kung Fu Panda: Showdown of Legendary Legends
Star Wars: Battlefront
Beyond Two Souls
Heavy Rain
Hitman
Just Cause 3
Trackmania Turbo

Other:
The Witness
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4
Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment
Firewatch
Persona 5
Battleborn
No Man's Sky
The Tomorrow Children
Nitroplus Blasterz

demigod

Whoa, sony has AC marketing this year? Did ms kick ubi to the curb due to their first party games or did ubi decide to get in bed with sony?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Hardware may be down, but people are missing one big thing.

This Gen there is no "non-gamer" reasons to buy a console.

Last Gen PS3 was bought as a Blu-Ray/Netflix machine because in 2008 most TVs and even Blu-ray players did not have Smart function.

And of course MANY people bought a PS2 as a DVD player, for almost 2 years the PS2 was cheaper than most DVD players on the market.

PS1 functioned as a top notch CD player, and back in 1995 CD players were still a luxury (Cassette were still the primary audio median)

Good point. I know someone responded saying the PS 1 wasnt seen as a CD player by many...but I hooked mine up to a boom box and basically memorized the cd playback controls. Case in point...boom box...cassette player only. Dual cassette tho heh heh heh..

You'd definitely see those two in a mobile.

lol.

Sorry, missed this. Hopefully you saw my other updates on the last couple of pages.

-snipped some great info-

I appreciate this. Thanks. I remember once upon a time the PS4 and the Wii were almost neck in neck and I was like uh oh... I see the separation now. There are going to be history lessons, business lessons about Nintendo.

The only thing I don't like about Zhuge is that he's almost too good. :p

Anyway, thanks for this again. Because the XB1 is relatively close to the PS4 in sales, I highly doubt the PS4 will beat the LTD of the PS2 in the US, or even the Wii. However, I do think it's possible that the PS4 will reach 35 million or more before it is discontinued. I think the XB1 will trail the PS4 by 5 million units or so.

Yea he is.

The discussion has gone well.

We have strong proponents of staying put.

We have strong proponents of bold price cutting competition.

November can't come sooner.

I learn alot in these threads. I like reading anyway. Lots of stuff I cant really contribute to but reading others opinions, it makes sense. Like the Vita...I also believe if Sony gets out the handheld business....its a good decision. I say this about Nintendo and home consoles...it doesnt go over too well...lo.

Must feel so good to be on the Playstation team and see PS4 on top every month. Especially if you were there during the PS3 era.

Honestly...I had no idea it was PS3 vs Xbox until I joined this forum in 2013. I just got the PS3 in 2008 because I liked the controller better, blu ray and MGS 4. I wound up liking the 360 controller better as time went by.

Being an Android fan and using Android only since 2010, after using Win Mo from 2008-2009...and joining Android forums, tech sites...I should have known....lol.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Games I would like to buy this year
Rocket League
Samurai Warriors 4-II
Dragon Quest Heroes
Just Cause 3
No Man's Sky
Persona 5

Games I can afford to buy this year
Dead or Alive 5: Free to Play version

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
July 2015
F1 2015
Rocket League
Journey PS4
Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess

God of War III Remastered
Godzilla
Rory McIlroy PGA Tour
Trials Fusion: Awesome Level Max
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
Zombie Army Trilogy
Kings Quest
Onechanbara Z2: Chaos

August 2015
Risen 3: Titan Lords - Enhanced Edition
Madden NFL 16
The Talos Principle
Until Dawn

September
Mad Max
Tearaway Unfolded
Guitar Hero Live
Destiny: The Taken King
Mighty No. 9
Skylanders SuperCharges (Starter Pack)
Fifa 16
LEGO Dimensions (Starter Pack)
NBA 2K16
NHL 16
Samurai Warriors 4-II
Adr1ft

October
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance
NBA Live 16
Dragon Quest Heroes

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
Adventure Time: Finn and Jake Investigations
Tales Of Zestiria
Assassins Creed Syndicate
WWE 2K16
Rock Band 4

Holiday
Need for Speed
Call of Duty: Black Ops III

Fallout 4
Kung Fu Panda: Showdown of Legendary Legends
Beyond Two Souls
Heavy Rain
Hitman
Just Cause 3
Trackmania Turbo

Other:
The Witness
Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment
Firewatch
Persona 5
Battleborn
No Man's Sky

Yeah, holy shit, Sony has a quite diverse line up, i think there's a little bit of absolutely everything i'm buying the rest of this year, action games, JRPG's, FPS, Fighting games, Point and Click games. Its almost like they have pretty much everything.

Except real games

vpance

Reduce price... cause losses... sell more than before... take huge loss.... profit?

I get where you are coming from but they are selling a shitload of these things. The only way they lower the price to 299 is if they can make money selling the device at 299.

The power of marketshare pays dividends! In this gen and into the next, especially with subs and PSN various other services. They can easily survive a $100 cut in the US, and sales in the rest of the world will subsidize for it anyways.

Strategically though, a $50 cut now and a $50 cut later will be seen as limp as hell and might even play out worse. Building real hype is so important for a lasting effect on sales.

Cess007

July 2015
F1 2015
Rocket League
Journey PS4
Kings Quest

August 2015

September
Mad Max
Tearaway Unfolded
Adr1ft

October
Dragon Quest Heroes
Tales Of Zestiria

Holiday
Fallout 4
Beyond Two Souls

Other:
The Witness
Persona 5
No Man's Sky

Oh man, my wallet it's so fucked up :(

Square2015

Wow, great chart!

Awesome chart. I expect wider (in term of months) and bigger gap for the X1 this Holiday, cause its got the best line up of exclusives it can ever get this year.

This is the best chart for NPD so far. Please keep doing the great work. Very well done!

What's the PS4-XB1 gap - ~800k?
Thank you everyone =) I appreciate it greatly!
I'll try update each month.
FYI I have 790k gap.
Hlsgr7r.png

Rocket League
Samurai Warriors 4-II
Dragon Quest Heroes
Just Cause 3
No Man's Sky
Persona 5

LMAO

I intend to buy this year:
Metal Gear Solid V
DQ Heroes
Battlefront
Assassin's Creed
Uncharted Collection

Stanng243

(M) denotes Sony has a marketing deal for that particular game.

July - Journey, N++

August - Galak-Z, EGTTR, Until Dawn, Disney Infinity (M)

September - Mad Max (M), Metal Gear Solid V (M), Tearaway Unfolded, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 (M), NBA 2K16 (M)

October - Disgaea 5, Uncharted: TNDC, AC: Syndicate (M),

November - Call of Duty: BOIII (M), Star Wars: Battlefront (M)

December - Hitman 6 (M)

You missed Disney infinity 3.0 with its exclusive bundle.

wtshaolin

Banned
Rocket League
Samurai Warriors 4-II
Dragon Quest Heroes
Just Cause 3
No Man's Sky
Persona 5

Not to be a dick, but not a single choice here is on my list to purchase (5% chance on Just Cause 3), lol.
Glad we all have games to match our tastes.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I appreciate this. Thanks. I remember once upon a time the PS4 and the Wii were almost neck in neck and I was like uh oh... I see the separation now. There are going to be history lessons, business lessons about Nintendo.

No worries mate, here is worldwide shipment comparison. Should be able to update these numbers at the end of the month.

4_zpsg2fes27k.jpg

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Also Zhuge, in your list, you forgot Nitroplus BlasterZ Heroines Duel. That'll be a PS3/PS4 release. And Atelier Sophie, and supposedly Country Without Nights too...

FranXico

Doesn't the Paris Games Week conference coincide with Halo 5's launch day?

A PS4 price drop during that conference would be such a giant F U to MS lol.

Didn't remember that the dates coincided. Indeed it would be a bold move.
The problem is, AAA launches always eclipse price drops in terms of product visibility.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Not to be a dick, but not a single choice here is on my list to purchase (5% chance on Just Cause 3), lol.
Glad we all have games to match our tastes.

Haha, fair enough. Yeh It's good to see so much variety.

Also Zhuge, in your list, you forgot Nitroplus BlasterZ Heroines Duel. That'll be a PS3/PS4 release. And Atelier Sophie, and supposedly Country Without Nights too...

Thanks.

I don't think Atelier Sophie is being localised yet is it?

Glad to see the xbone going up!, say what you will about MS.. they sure are trying.

Overall decent up for the industry this year, awesome news!.

I mean sure... spin I guess.. . He is a Xbox marketing lead, like... What do you want him to say?

He actually acknowledge Sony doing great... I mean what a horrible human being, all the spinning and stuff.

do wonder why Greenberg's twitter hurt some gafers that much

they just standard company marketing stuff

not different to every other game company twitter really

Sorry, I have a unpopular opinion, I suppose I'm not worthy of actually having an argument as an answer...

just deflect to the tag, classy.

I actually said

Either way, is liking a video game brand a punishable offence? I really don't understand your answer.

assume what you will, I actually mostly play on PC.

034rolleyes.gif

034rolleyes.gif

034rolleyes.gif

Yeah, holy shit, Sony has a quite diverse line up, i think there's a little bit of absolutely everything i'm buying the rest of this year, action games, JRPG's, FPS, Fighting games, Point and Click games. Its almost like they have pretty much everything.

Except real games
They do not have the haloest halo of all times.
Case closed.

Oh, and 2 episodes of life is strange to come...

sörine

Banned
It's what it looks like, and makes sense. If the PS4 version was >1.1m and had 61.59% of the sales, then in total the game sold over 1.7m.

Now we just need Xbox One split and ESO.
There wasn't a confirmation on AK. The 1.5m+ figure came from an npd analyst confirming a better debut than AC but that's pretty nebulous too and could be less than 1.5m for plausible reasons (only 1st week of AC sales not full npd month, revised down older figures for AC). It's also possible cs missed some AK skus in his count (1.1m reg + 121k bundle + ?? LE).

QaaQer

They did. There's no market for a high spec dedicated handheld gaming device with Sony first party content. There's nothing they could have done.

I do laugh when people say the reason vita failed was 'sony didn't try hard enough.' They marketed it hard and put like 80% of their top IPs on it in the first year; they only skipped GT, Ratchet and Clank, and Singstar.

No company except Nintendo with its stunning array of IP can sell a dedicated handheld in a post iphone world, and even they are finding it hard.

Top Bottom