• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16507

NPD: Video Game Industry Up Almost 50% in May

In what should come as little shock to you by now, Nintendo dominated the U.S. video game industry for another month. Pokemon led the software charts and the DS topped all hardware, followed by the Wii. Get the details...

Following an April in which software sales were slightly down, in May the video game industry in the U.S. bounced back nicely. Console software was up 31 percent to more than $274 million, and total video game industry sales soared 49 percent to $815.5 million. Year-to-date, video game sales have reached $5 billion, a 47 percent increase over last year's $3.4 billion. A record breaking year would almost seem guaranteed for 2007.

Console hardware was a real driver of growth in May as sales climbed 79 percent to $221.4 million. Overall in hardware, the Nintendo DS (at this point, not surprisingly) took top honors... again. Nintendo sold through 423K units during the month. This was followed by Wii, PSP, PS2, Xbox 360, and then PS3. Unfortunately, NPD could not provide a complete hardware sales breakdown as of press time, but directionally it is interesting to see the PSP outselling the PS2, 360 and PS3.

On the software side, Nintendo's Pokemon Diamond for the DS once again led all titles. The game sold an additional 331.2K units, bringing total sales of Pokemon Diamond and Pearl in the U.S. to well over 2 million thus far. Diamond and Pearl have already sold over 5 million copies in Japan, and the entire Pokemon franchise has sold over 155 million.

Here's the complete top ten list (ranked by units), as provided by NPD.

1. Pokemon Diamond—DS—Nintendo

2. Mario Party 8—Wii—Nintendo

3. Spider-Man 3—PS2—Activision

4. Pokemon Pearl—DS—Nintendo

5. Wii Play w/remote—Wii—Nintendo

6. Forza Motorsport 2—Xbox 360—Microsoft

7. Guitar Hero II w/guitar—Xbox 360—Activision

8. Spider-Man 3—Xbox 360—Activision

9. Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars—Xbox 360—Electronic Arts

10. Guitar Hero II w/guitar—PS2—Activision

NOT QUITE CAN'T BLINK WHERE'S NUMBERS
1173632872200.jpg

ivysaur12

Banned
I didn't expect Mario Party 8 to do that well. Then again, I've never really followed the series's number significantly.

Unfortunately, NPD could not provide a complete hardware sales breakdown as of press time, but directionally it is interesting to see the PSP outselling the PS2, 360 and PS3.

That's definitely surprising, I guess the price cut helped more than we all thought?

Haunted

sonycowboy said:
NPD could not provide a complete hardware sales breakdown as of press time
meh.

Oh, MP8 at #2? YAY! I didn't expect that. Everyone should enjoy the awesomeness that is Mario Party.

edit: Just seen Forza at #6. That's that, but good sales nonetheless.

rage1973

sonycowboy said:
Unfortunately, NPD could not provide a complete hardware sales breakdown as of press time, but directionally it is interesting to see the PSP outselling the PS2, 360 and PS3.

Hopefully Microsoft and Sony sees this and realizes how price sensitive the market is and any price drop will drive sales.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sooooo...are we going to get hardware numbers sometime tonight?

We better effing better :lol

MrDaravon

PSP selling more than PS2? Wow, what happened there? I've been warming up to the system more lately, but was there any particular thing that came out that would cause that? The PS2 is still a beast.

Haunted

wait a second...

No GBA? That means the outcome of the grudge match is still open! oh the suspense is killing me. :lol

That's definitely surprising, I guess the price cut helped more than we all thought?

PSP selling more than PS2? Wow, what happened there? I've been warming up to the system more lately, but was there any particular thing that came out that would cause that? The PS2 is still a beast.

We'll have to wait and see what the actual figures are like, but it is interesting. If PS2 sales stayed steady, then that is a quite significant leap for the PSP.

Izzy

Banned
This was followed by Wii, PSP, PS2, Xbox 360, and then PS3. Unfortunately, NPD could not provide a complete hardware sales breakdown as of press time, but directionally it is interesting to see the PSP outselling the PS2, 360 and PS3.

24805BP~The-Simpsons-Mr-Burns-Excellent.jpg

Jokeropia

Ugh, where are the freaking numbers already? Impressive performance by Mario Party 8 though.

Btw, PS2 only outsold PSP by 11k last month (194k to 183k) so it's not too far-fetched. I wonder if it was due to PS2 dropping or PSP increasing.

spwolf

SailorDaravon said:

how about both PSP and PS2 outselling 360... that didnt happen a lot, if at all before...

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, my predictions included PSP outselling PS2, 360 and PS3, so thats one thing I got right, as for the rest, I overshot DS by 50k, would like to see the rest of the numbers, darn you NPD :/

Edit: MP8, Er, what the hell? How did that get to no2 so quick? I expect that to stay pretty high next month too, basically free money for Ninty/Hudson.

Top Bottom