• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

xaosslug said:
uh oh... PSP redesign could seriously shake things up. Handheld gaming taking ovah.

Give 'em an inch and they take a mile :lol

Seriously when was the last time there was a PSP game in the top NPD top 10. I can't even remember anymore.

Brimstone said:
If Shadowrun is over 50,000 that is a strong start and Microsoft owned May as far as retail dollars is concerned. Although Forza isn't direct competion, it is a MS 1st party title indirectly competing in the same user base pool.

Yeah...

no.

Woo. Go PSP! Glad to see it is doing well. Bring on Portable Ops 2, please. Thanks.

Sucks for Shadowrun. Maybe, now, they will treat the IP correctly.

xaosslug said:
uh oh... PSP redesign could seriously shake things up. Handheld gaming taking ovah.

Lets not get crazy now. :lol

RPS37

Brimstone said:
If Shadowrun is over 50,000 that is a strong start and Microsoft owned May as far as retail dollars is concerned. Although Forza isn't direct competion, it is a MS 1st party title indirectly competing in the same user base pool.

:lol

Branduil

C4Lukins said:
Not really, but when did logic ever stand in the way of a good troll.

Perception matters more than reality. The Elite is perceived as a better value than the Premium, so people don't want the Premium, but they can't afford the Elite.

I sure hope console-makers learn their lesson and all three companies release $300-or-less systems with one SKU next time.

Owzers

Brimstone said:
Software sales are thru the roof. Just because Shadowrun isn't in the top ten doesn't mean the sales are low.

Shadowrun got released at the tail end of an extremely strong month.

Shadowrun's demo also came out after it's release. I expect the demo to help sell the game.

No6

Alkaliine said:
Ummm, what the **** happened to Super Paper Mario?
Anyone who would be interested in SPM bought it in April. You think the Blue Ocean has any interest whatsoever in SPM?

The negative backlash probably hurt it, too.

Elios83

It seems like 2007 will be a great year for PSP, sales and interest for the platform are up everywhere in the world and a model redesign can just get things better.
Even without the numbers I can tell that Microsoft is getting near the end of their 399$ business and Sony should better start their 399$ business with PS3 asap :lol

USD said:
Sony needs to start competing and drop the price. MS needs to stop gauging its success on the PS3 and drop the price, before Halo 3. That is all.

Naturally, Mario Party 8 does big numbers, Mario Party + waggle = big sales.
Bleh. Luck based party games even with waggle FTMFL.

Chiggs

Elios83 said:
Even without the numbers I can tell that Microsoft is getting near the end of their 399$ business and Sony should better start their 399$ business with PS3 asap :lol

And let's hope they both do it this summer.

Sharp

No6 said:
Anyone who would be interested in SPM bought it in April. You think the Blue Ocean has any interest whatsoever in SPM?

The negative backlash probably hurt it, too.
You're on a roll today, aren't you?

Draft said:
Too complicated for most grandmothers.

If this is what your grandma looks like

alba.jpg

Can I call her sometime? :)

Haunted

Holy shit. I just realised - where's Tabris?

TheRipDizz said:
Bleh. Luck based party games even with waggle FTMFL.
**** no. Mario Party is ****ing awesome with or without waggle.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
sillymonkey321 said:
Shadowrun's demo also came out after it's release. I expect the demo to help sell the game.

Yeah, strong word of mouth on how great the game is, and also the release of the demo combined with the Halo 3 beta ending will help put wind beneath Shadowruns wings.

I'm still suprised where Forza is compared to Mario Party.

Joe Molotov

Brimstone said:

Miami Vice's $25 Million opening weeking was pretty solid too, right?

No6

Phoenix Fang said:
Great logic there buddy.
That's the way consumer perception works. Granted, what he's referring to won't be univeral to all consumers, but it's why a $400 console bundled with two $60 games will sell less than the same console at $300 bundled with nothing. The sticker price is what controls the minds of most consumers.

C4Lukins

Branduil said:
Perception matters more than reality. The Elite is perceived as a better value than the Premium, so people don't want the Premium, but they can't afford the Elite.

I sure hope console-makers learn their lesson and all three companies release $300-or-less systems with one SKU next time.

They cannot afford either of them, which is the big reason the 360 is slowly pulling to a hault and the PS3 is dead in the water. They hav pushed that 400 dollars pricetag just about as far as it will go. They could sustain it through the hollidays but it will cost them a ton of sales. Your average consumer does not see the Premium as a tard pack though. The Core is an actual gimped 360, I doubt anyone buying a premium at this point is suffering from much Elite envy.

Brimstone said:
Yeah, strong word of mouth on how great the game is, and also the release of the demo combined with the Halo 3 beta ending will help put wind beneath Shadowruns wings.

Wow :lol

If Shadowrun is debuting that low, it's going to stay low - positive word-of-mouth or no.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Alkaliine said:
Ummm, what the **** happened to Super Paper Mario?

Greetings from the land of the Rising Sun Reggie,

First Brain training, now Super Paper Mario? what are you trying to do to this company? you're fired.

Many Loves

Iwata

sonycowboy said:
They were released almost 3 hours ago. Just waiting for the official release. It's not an embargo, it's more of an "all clear". As you've seen, some months, the numbers need a refinement and they have to rescind them.

Dear God, its their JOB to get these number out to investors 14 days late, and yet every month they find a way to continously **** it up.

Box office results are in Sunda afternoon
Neilson results are in after 18 hours
Presidential voting is in within the hour.

WTF

Phoenix Fang said:
Great logic there buddy.

There were figures released last month that the Elite was a huge percentage of the 360 sales. It is sold out up to this day and the Premium sales aren't even improving even with a very large supply and might even be declining in sales percentage suggesting to me that new 360 buyers want the Elite.

We'll see in a bit.

xaosslug

Oblivion said:
There was a month where GC outsold the PS2 when it dropped to $99.

Just sayin. ;)

689pfsg.gif

soundwave05 said:
Give 'em an inch and they take a mile :lol

Seriously when was the last time there was a PSP game in the top NPD top 10. I can't even remember anymore.

so...? What's your point? I never said PSP's gonna take over...

Vyse The Legend said:
Lets not get crazy now. :lol

what's crazy? DS already kick-started things, and when people want an update in grafix, they'll turn to PSP. Hazzah! ;P

dang. Ya'll Nintedoodz need to reeeelaaaax.

Phthisis

Branduil said:

One would hope you have a paying job by then so it won't matter.

Earthstrike said:
Looks like meltdowns will be postponed to page 8.
I think there's a chance there won't be meltdowns period. I mean, the hardware places are the same as last month or roughly with continued 'everything but PSP & PS3' software domination. Maybe PS3 will drop another 20k-35k, but most people were kinda expecting that given the trend it has established months ago. The only meltdowns I could see occuring are from the whole 'Wii is ruining gaming' variety. Maybe not even that since that's kinda been a reoccuring theme in threads for awhile and especially the last month or so. Then again, this is GAF and it does tend to surprise.

MS had better warm up that price drop for August or earlier. Waiting any longer really doesn't seem to be the smart thing to do if they want to get lots of units out there faster and really take advantage of the holiday season and Halo 3/GTA IV combo.

Muppet345

There's only 28,800 profiles connected to Shadowrun. That's after half a month. And I know MGC numbers can't be used for sales for several reasons, but since it's an online-only game and all .. to crack 50,000 in the first day would mean a lot of people are playing with bots.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
jamesinclair said:
Dear God, its their JOB to get these number out to investors 14 days late, and yet every month they find a way to continously **** it up.

Box office results are in Sunda afternoon
Neilson results are in after 18 hours
Presidential voting is in within the hour.

WTF

Clearly the unexpected sale of one X-Box crashed the system.

GhaleonEB

TheRipDizz said:
Pretty much. Serves the dumb****s right. I love it when the market slaps these companies in the face for not noticing the elephant in the room problems with their consoles. And I say this as a 360 only owner.
Yeah, the Elite is a terrible idea. The 360 needs a price drop stat - no later than September.

Nintendo's Wii Extends Lead, Sells 338,000 Units in May in U.S.

By Dina Bass

June 14 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co.'s Wii video-game console extended its lead over Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360, selling 338,000 machines in the U.S. in May.

The PlayStation 3 sold 81,000 units and the Xbox 360 sold 155,000 machines, according to data compiled by Port Washington, New York-based market researcher NPD Group Inc. and provided by Microsoft. Nintendo's Wii has outsold the competition since it was released in November.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=SNE:US&sid=al_jVeWnhvSA

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Joe Molotov said:
Miami Vice's $25 Million opening weeking was pretty solid too, right?

It was the biggest opening for Michael Mann ever.

Collateral didn't make much more than $100 million at the US Box Office, yet that is a favorite movie of mine.

Heat bombed at the Box Office, yet that is one of my favorite movies.

Carnage Heart is one of the greatest strategy video games every made, yet probably 99.9% of Neogaf have never played it.

Chiggs

Kevar said:
There's only 28,800 profiles connected to Shadowrun. That's after half a month. And I know MGC numbers can't be used for sales for several reasons, but since it's an online-only game and all .. to crack 50,000 in the first day would mean a lot of people are playing with bots.

Shadowbomb?

Top Bottom