• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

Flakster99

Awesome Nintendo numbers. Interested to see how the PSP fared. What I find interesting is how Sony and Microsoft's strategy is being put to the test, month in, month out. :)

Each company's #1 fault at this point? Not nearly enough casual appeal in both hardware and software, both in price and functionality.

What I find funny is how Sony and Microsoft had over 30 years worth of console history to rummage through, not withstanding previous console experience, they knew that most hardware was sold at or less than $199. They had to know the casual market elevated the PS1 and PS2 to market dominance. What gives?

Can't wait for software numbers.

VALIS

Mrbob said:
I think it is more of a case people are saying MS is blowing a golden opportunity right now.

Not yet they aren't. But if they don't drop before the big 3 hit (Madden, Halo 3, GTA), they will have.

Which is why I believe both 360 and PS3 will price drop at E3. The second half of this year is enormous as far as who's going to come out on top this gen and who won't.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Cheesemeister said:
Numbers thus far...

[NDS] 423k
[WII] 338k
[PSP] 221,120
[PS2] 187,765
[360] 155k
[PS3] 81,604
[GBA] 80,554
[NGC] 10,728

From top to bottom...

Haunted

Dice Man said:
So to sum up

[NDS] 423k
[WII] 338k
[PSP] 221,120
[PS2] 187,765
[360] 155k
[PS3] 81,604
[GBA]80,554

[GCN] 10,728
:lol I expected Sony's press release to highlight the PS3's victory. disappointment total.

*goes off to sleep*

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I got a PSP in this period so I contributed to the PSP sales.

For $250 I would never buy a PSP, but for $170 the console is a great value. If Sony kept the price at $200 for launch and dropped to $150 before the DS lite came out the North American market would still be an incredibly tight race for the both of them.

turtle553

Cheesemeister said:
Numbers thus far...

[PS2] 187,765
[PSP] 221,120
[PS3] 81,604
[360] 155k
[GBA] 80,554
[NGC] 10,728
[NDS] 423k
[WII] 338k

I'll give it another try now that there are actual numbers. Sloppy work

4tjzgqe.gif

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
outunderthestars said:
How can everyone be bashing the elite as a failure when it is pretty much sold out everywhere?

I believe the rationale is that its lessening demand of the Premium SKU.

tebunker

Banned
I would love to see more concrete software numbers.

Otherwise these numbers fell in line, I figure we'll see one more month like this, and things will change again in the 3rd quarter.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Count Dookkake said:
Agreed.

Eh? Sorry.

Regardless, the numbers aren't quite "flat."

Ok, you're right, a 250 unit decrease per week is not technically flat.

Jesus...I'm in no way a Sony fan here- but I think its possible it may start to recover a bit.

909er

schuelma said:
I believe the rationale is that its lessening demand of the Premium SKU.

Not to mention MS isn't supplying enought Elites to the ppl that actually want the thing. A one two **** up on their part.

schuelma said:

Jesus...I'm in no way a Sony fan here- but I think its possible it may start to recover a bit.

I think if May had been the better month for the PS3, Sony would not have called the sales flat, but instead would have trumpeted a boost in sales.

1-D_FTW

This is a strangely unsatisfactory month.

Looks like Sony's stabilized at a highly rate (20,000 week) than Japan (8000).

Would a 100 dollar price cut make a difference? I think that ship has sunk. Too much momentum squandered. 399.99 or bust.

And MS? I can't believe they're satisfied being slightly less incompetent than Sony. They're completely ignoring how precious momentum really is. When you have it, it's almost impossible to lose. And when you don't have it, it's almost impossible to get. They had an opportunity to seize a chunk, and they just didn't care. Drop the Premium to 299.99, pay a couple extra dollars to fix the manufacturing issues (And that heatpipe screenshot floating around looks almost as incompetent as the original design.) Instead they're happily content to watch Nintendo snowball. They're gonna be kicking themselves in the *** when they realize how badly they blew this in a couple years.

schuelma said:

Quit it, you'll ruin the slamfest.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oblivion said:
:lol Now that's more like it! More gifs and photoshops, people!

Hilarious, but would be even better if it were someone trying really hard to beat up someone in a coma.

RPS37

BenjaminBirdie said:
Oh shit that's right! Crackdown and the Halo 3 beta didn't make a ****in' dent!

:lol

RPS37 said:
Do you guys think we'll see a boost in sales of
337679092_4886aaa644_o.jpg

before May 16?

If so, will it be visible in april or may NPD's? It definitely doesn't look very pronounced this month.

MS am failed me.

Cosmozone

People who are demanding price cuts are dead wrong. Sales are slow these months. If a price drop occurs now, sales would increase only that far and in the holiday season where sales are much stronger, you're missing out a lot of money. Can't raise the price again you know. And higher losses with each console sold, of course, as already stated.

damisa

Cosmozone said:
People who are demanding price cuts are dead wrong. Sales are slow these months. If a price drop occurs now, sales would increase only that far and in the holiday season where sales are much stronger, you're missing out a lot of money. Can't raise the price again you know. And higher losses with each console sold, of course, as already stated.

The first price drop last gen happened in may for all 3 consoles.

Mar

Merovingian said:
PS3 VS GBA

fm_45bf606f47f94.gif

:lol

I'm glad something delivered in this months NPD thread...

I've said it a million times before and I'll say it again. I really want to give MS my money. I'm so on the fence for the 360 my arse is sore. Just $100 less and I'm in. Come on MS, you can't fend us stingy gamers off forever.

Top Bottom