• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
studio810 said:
http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16507

SCEA's Sr. Director, Corporate Communications, Dave Karraker issued us the following statement: "According to NPD data, May 2007 showed a 27.5% increase in total retail dollars generated year-over-year by the PlayStation brand in North America with total sales of $284 million. During the month, sales of PS3 were flat at 81,604 units. PSP witnessed a 39% increase in year-over-year sales thanks in part to the April price drop to $169, as well as our new marketing efforts with the 'Dude Get Your Own' campaign. PSP unit sales for May totaled 221,120. The PS2 also continued to be a strong performer during the month with unit sales of 187,765."

More like driven over by a steamroller.

Im fighting a losing battle...but this is console war!!!!!!!!!!!

360 or give me death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MS at some point, has to say, "lets end this now"...cut the prices sheesh, the market is there for the taking

Wii continues to do well, kudos...I dont get it, but you know, its not my problem

Mrbob

I'm surprised a 30 dollar bump has done this much for PSP sales.

They are going to go much higher too once the PSP SLIM comes out later in the year.

hyp

Kintaro said:
Someone has an obvious agenda here.

$250 is better than $400 or $600.

Yet, all of those games on the list, besides Wii Play (controller + game) are all traditional games. Unless you're going to tell me than all of a sudden, Mario Party 8 and Pokemon are non-traditional games, proof of Nintendo's genius!

STFU.

someone had to say it. thanks kintaro.

NekoFever

spwolf said:
you have screwed up take on corporations. All they are about is profits. when something is not profitable then it is an problem.

You think MS shareholders dont like making profits? That they like the fact that they lost few billions? How does that work?

Thats why both MS and Sony will hold as long as they can without price drops.
Of course they want to make money, but you have to spend money to make money. The way things are going not dropping the price will cost them far more than those few more $400 sales that they can eke out of the public.

TheRipDizz said:
I wonder if Microsoft has noticed that since the introduction of the Elite, they've sold nearly all of the 50,000 or so they've produced of them each month.........but their 200,000+ Premium sales each month have are getting halved. The Premium really did take on some of the "tard pack" perception. Great move Microsoft! One for the books! One to be proud of!

Someone needs a good kick in the nuts up there at Redmond. Glad to see the market is willing and able. Here's hoping the boot keeps kicking until either they are sterile or they fight back.

That's why I think that they won't drop the price anytime soon. Stupid, stupid stupid, but Microsoft really seems hellbent on being profitable than being number one. Who knows, maybe they have resigned to the fact that they probably won't be number one worldwide and trying to do a Nintendo and try to get as much profit as they possibly can, knowing, comfortably in their seats that Sony is doing worse than them.

hyp

Whipped Spartan said:
What's really bad is the people who own the thing don't even buy games month to month.

i'd probably buy the ps3 versions of all cross platform releases if it weren't for achievements. :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Mrbob said:

They are going to go much higher too once the PSP SLIM comes out later in the year.
Will it help in Japan though? I remember that the PSP LTD got close to passing the DS LTD even though it launched months later, the US does like to buy the hardware.

..pakbeka.. said:
THEY STOPPED TRACKING THE GBA??? sony moneyhats?
More like Nintendo moneyhats, scb told is PS3 beat it this month.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I don't get it. Why isn't this thread as exciting as the last one? Hardly any gifs to be found, even. :(

Grecco

I still dont see a Xbox Price cut likely since they are leading PS3.

If Microsoft simply wants to be the HD Gen Leader why cut the price? if they want to be the market leader then sure. but i think Microsoft is happy at beating Sony like they are right now

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mrbob said:

As much as I dislike their current ad campaign, I really feel like they've been pushing the PSP a lot more recently and it's gotten a good bit of mainstream exposure, which was why I picked it to come in third this month (the one thing I can brag about).

I remember when PSP was the laughingstock and PS3 was the guaranteed success. PSP will never be the hit most here (reasonably, I think) thought it would be but it's a decent first entry after all.

jamesb23

Not sure if you guys got PSP numbers yet but SCEA issued the following statement:

"According to NPD data, May 2007 showed a 27.5% increase in total retail dollars generated year-over-year by the PlayStation brand in North America with total sales of $284 million. During the month, sales of PS3 were flat at 81,604 units. PSP witnessed a 39% increase in year-over-year sales thanks in part to the April price drop to $169, as well as our new marketing efforts with the 'Dude Get Your Own' campaign. PSP unit sales for May totaled 221,120. The PS2 also continued to be a strong performer during the month with unit sales of 187,765."

Also GCN sold 10,728 and GBA sold 80,554.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16507

909er

titiklabingapat said:
That's why I think that they won't drop the price anytime soon. Stupid, stupid stupid, but Microsoft really seems hellbent on being profitable than being number one. Who knows, maybe they have resigned to the fact that they probably won't be number one worldwide and trying to do a Nintendo and try to get as much profit as they possibly can, knowing, comfortably in their seats that Sony is doing worse than them.

Maybe they're hoping to kill off Sony this gen while making a profit, and then set their sights on Nintendo the next gen.

Mrbob

jj984jj said:
Will it help in Japan though? I remember that the PSP LTD got close to passing the DS LTD even though it launched months later, the US does like to buy the hardware.

It'll help. I'm not saying a DS Lite style burst, but it does seem like the PSP is going into an upswing worldwide.

VALIS

Oblivion said:
I don't get it. Why isn't this thread as exciting as the last one? Hardly any gifs to be found, even. :(

Nothing major happened. Wii is still huge, 360 is still sluggish, PS3 is still dismal.

The PSP reminds me a lot of the GameCube. It would spike pretty hard after a price cut too but never enough to get above the PS2 (in the PSP's case, the DS).

sonycowboy said:
DS > Wii > PSP > PS2 > 360 > PS3 > GBA > GCN

DOWN GOES FRAISER! DOWN GOES FRAISER!

Those 360 numbers were weak. MSFT might want to change plans & make a price cut earlier in order to take up the fight against the Wii. The longer they wait the faster the Wii grows.

BTW, I find it funny how many people are calling for an xbox 360 price cut . . . and not really even mentioning the PS3. Oh Sony!

Izzy

Banned
jj984jj said:
Holy Crap @ PSP over 200k, PSP making a comeback

Makes you wonder what a brand new model, a very strong marketing campaign and a great lineup + PSPStore could do for the handheld?

KevinRo said:
PS3 81,604
GBA 80,554

oh noes :'( the gameboy has lost the battle.

Al_Gore_preaching.jpeg

I demand a recount. Not all the sales from Wal-Mart were accounted for.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Izzy said:
Makes you wonder what a brand new model, a very strong marketing campaign and a great lineup + PSPStore could do for the handheld?
And price. Get it out at the same price the core pack is now and 70million could become realistic.

schuelma said:
I know this is small small consolation...but perhaps this represents the low point of PS3 sales- possibly it stabilized this month. At the very least it reversed the downward trend.

There was no stabilization. The sales did not remain flat.

The month with the slightly higher figure had four weeks.

The month with the slightly lower figure had five weeks.

That's roughly a 20% drop in sales per week.

Mrbob

speculawyer said:
BTW, I find it funny how many people are calling for an xbox 360 price cut . . . and not really even mentioning the PS3. Oh Sony!

I think it is more of a case people are saying MS is blowing a golden opportunity right now.

Plus PS3 hardware sales seemed to have stabalized at its current price point, where the X360 keeps on dropping every month the Elite is out.

deadbeef

I think PSP price drop + PS3/PSP remote play functionality helped push sales up. They need to start playing up the remote play functionality more in ads I think.

Count Dookkake said:

For the 10th time April was a 4 week month.

ccbfan

jj984jj said:
Holy Crap @ PSP over 200k, PSP making a comeback? I wonder if software sales is going up for it as well.

I think it will if some decent software gets released on it. In Japan its software numbers increase a good deal, frequently placing multiple games in the top 30. Really with no big name game yet either. Mostly ports and remakes of 10+ year old games. I think the fanbase is ready to buy something if something ever comes out. Heck I mean, MHP both sold over a million and this franchise was relatively unknown until it came on the PSP. Don't be suprised if Crisis Core outsells FF3:DS. Its kinda stupid that even sony isn't supporting it, a GT:p would do wonders for the system.

Branduil

Count Dookkake said:

May was 4 weeks.

Top Bottom