• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

rkenshin

Joe Molotov said:
240px-CeBIT_2006_Panasonic_bluray_cases_huellen_by_HDTVTotalDOTcom.jpg

O RLY?

zOMG Batman Begins on Bluray, where can I buy?!?!

Crazy Nintendo..

Nintendo said:
Oh, my! All this attention is enough to make a girl blush!

As a princess I'm used to being adored, but this is just too much! I know I'm probably sounding like a broken record, but once again my friends at the NPD Group are telling me that Wii and Nintendo DS finished May as the most popular systems in the United States.

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful support! Nintendo couldn't have made it back to the top without you. You're all Mario-caliber heroes in my book.

Now I'm not one to brag, but some of the top games of this month happen to feature someone very pretty and popular - me! I'm talking about the super-fun Mario Party 8 and Super Paper Mario for Wii. Sure, Mario gets top billing, but from where I sit (on my throne), I'd say he's earned it. Besides, my own game on Nintendo DS, Super Princess Peach, is still selling strong, showing that a girl can do anything she puts her mind to.

I think all my Super Princess Peach fans would have just as much fun working to earn their Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree. I'm not in that one, but don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. Be sure to watch for me in my super-stylish soccer gear in Mario Strikers Charged, which arrives on Wii on July 30. I can't wait!

Kisses!

Peach

Flakster99

joeposh said:
Seriously, I bought this game because it was on sale at a pretty hefty discount the first week. I was a little skeptical and first, but it's damn fun. All my friends would come over and say what most "seasoned" video game players would utter when offered the chance to play, "ehh... I've never really been a fan", but once they actually sit down and start, they get sucked in. Really, it's more immersing with the wiimote and people get sucked into the competitive nature. I think most people who bitch about Mario Party simply have been conditioned to spew hate towards it or have never played it with friends.

Hey, thanks for the reply. You're experiences mimic my own. The #1 aspect of the Wii everyone enjoys the most is the freedom the Wiimote gives the player. Games such as Wii Sports, Wii Play, MP8, WWare, RRabits, Big Brain Academy, Trauma Center, and most other pointer/aiming aspects of other games that make excellent use of the aforementioned freedom aspect of the Wiimote are huge winners in my circle.

I need my single player experiences as well, and from the looks of it, that type of experience is not only expanding, but flourishing. However, the competitive multi player aspect is where it's at for the most part.

d[-_-]b said:
I thought it was the non-white guys that die first.

That's not actually close to being true in horror movies. Yes, non-whites make a small percentage of horror movie survivors, but usually a fat guy or slut dies before the black guy.

quetz67 said:
I wasnt determined not to like it, I bought it mostly to play Zelda, I would have even bought it without Wii Sports if possible. But it was obvious to me that Zelda is the only single-plyer games that appealed to me. So I sold it with a profit (it did print money) and will get another one for Mario, MP3, RE4 and RE:UC later
15_damage_control_L-1.jpg

I don't understand how people can buy and sell systems. I can't imagine selling my PS2 back when the only game was The Bouncer and a vague promise of new Capcom IPs I've never tried and FFX eventually.

When I bring a system home, it's mine. I couldn't get rid of it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
MightyHedgehog said:
Holy crap. That's four Dantes on this board now? Almost as bad as Cloud or Sephiroth on GameFAQs. (Apologies if your real name is Dante.)
How do you think I feel? It's spun out of control in recent months, too.

As for the rest of this thread, carry on.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
That's not actually close to being true in horror movies. Yes, non-whites make a small percentage of horror movie survivors, but usually a fat guy or slut dies before the black guy.
Well they're not important, I mean I really don't remember the fat guy in Jurassic Park. Until I saw a youtube clip a few weeks ago.
*Stealth Edit to fix english typos.

quetz67

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I don't understand how people can buy and sell systems. I can't imagine selling my PS2 back when the only game was The Bouncer and a vague promise of new Capcom IPs I've never tried and FFX eventually.

When I bring a system home, it's mine. I couldn't get rid of it.
No problems with that, sold my GBA with games to get a PSP, can play most GBA games or their SNES originals there too.

Sold my GC and the games I will never play again to buy a Wii. Played Zelda, which was the ony one appealing to me now and then sold it to free some money for PS3.

I neither have the money to get them all, the space to store them or the time to play them.

Sorry Quetz, but I gotta ask;

maybe the reason your friends weren't interested in playing with your Wii was because you had 1 remote?
I think handing over the Wiimote when playing Golf or Bowling wasnt the problem, Tennis is of course considerably less fun.

We played a round of every games and another one of Golf and Bowling and it was OK. After that we decided to go on and play some board games. I dont blame it on the Wiimote but Wii Sports had no appeal to a bunch of PC gamers besides the novelty.

I will get another Wii in maybe half a year and maybe then 4p games appealing to us are available, we get tired of hauling our PCs around anyway and I dont see the fun in playing online together.

I know you guys cant understand that so I must be lying or trolling.

Cdammen

ShockingAlberto said:
I don't understand how people can buy and sell systems.
I sold my fare share of systems and games over the year. Why should something that I've already played (and have no desire to play again) be stuck on the shelf collecting dust when it could be used to purchase new gaming gear and software with?

But yeah, I hate collecting stuff altogether. I don't understand how someone can be (emotionally) attached to mass marketed things they've purchased.

LCGeek

formerly sane
quetz67 said:
No problems with that, sold my GBA with games to get a PSP, can play most GBA games or their SNES originals there too.

Sold my GC and the games I will never play again to buy a Wii. Played Zelda, which was the ony one appealing to me now and then sold it to free some money for PS3.

I neither have the money to get them all, the space to store them or the time to play them.

I think handing over the Wiimote when playing Golf or Bowling wasnt the problem, Tennis is of course considerably less fun.

We played a round of every games and another one of Golf and Bowling and it was OK. After that we decided to go on and play some board games. I dont blame it on the Wiimote but Wii Sports had no appeal to a bunch of PC gamers besides the novelty.

I will get another Wii in maybe half a year and maybe then 4p games appealing to us are available, we get tired of hauling our PCs around anyway and I dont see the fun in playing online together.

Has nothing to do with understanding except you come as thinking everything that happesn to you must be true for everyone else. Take that pc gamer crap you brung up I'm one and the wii has convinced not only me but at least 3 different lan teammates I have to get interested in nintendo gaming again. Wii turned around in terms of my respect for it a complete 180 for the good can't say the same for my other next gen system which died but that's another discussion.

P90

d[-_-]b said:
Well they're not important, I mean I really don't remember the fat guy in Jurassic Park. Until I saw a youtube clip a few weeks ago.
*Stealth Edit to fix english typos.

Dude, Newman was my favorite character on Seinfeld. How can you not remember him?

quetz67

Banned
Hatorade said:
Has nothing to do with understanding except you come as thinking everything that happesn to you must be true for everyone else.
And that is not true, nowhere did I say it must be the same for everyone else.

The only thing I cant understand is people getting Wii (or GC) as their only console. In case of Wii I just think there werent enough games to get one through 5 years (not talking about casuals here).

In case of Wii I cant understand how gamers (not casuals again) can live with probably missing some of the greatest games to be released next gen. I couldnt even stand missing only one game like e.g. Bioshock which simply cant be done on Wii.

GC made me a RE fan and probably others too, especially RE4 as it took the series forward. Will people that feel the same be happy playing through it again plus playing some best-of-railshooter or will they want to play a game that again psuhes the series forward? And in 2008 or 2009 when the game arrives the admission wont be $399 or $599 any longer. I will play RE4 Wii and RE:UC too and sure will have fun doing so, but it wont be a substitute for the jaw dropping experience playing RE5 (if RE4 is any indication). Might sound perverse to some but I think playing REmake and RE4 was an outstanding experience, while playing RE3 was just nice (although I was able to see how great it had been back when it was released).

I do not question the success of the Wii or the appeal it has to many (I know many beloved series will find their home on Wii).

So instead of accusing me of denying the appeal of Wii for many, why not accuse others of the intolerance of not seeing the non-appeal of Wii for some and the appeal of real next gen (graphics) consoles for many others? IMO thats the real fanboyism, not to be able to accept other tastes or opinions. I know I state unpopular opinions and I often exaggerate things (which usually is a valid tool in arguments) but I do not discredit other peoples opinions. My opinion of Wii and PS3 both selling about a 100M units is a valid one, as it is a possibility, as both platforms have huge appeal and nobody can know. But saying Sony isnt able to put out as many high profile games as the GC had is not an opinion but absurd, as I know it better having owned and waited quite some time for most of them.

Accusing me of being a Sony fanboy is rather stupid. Right now I am more hyped about Bioshock, Mass Effect, Alan Wake or Crysis than I am for MGS4, Heavenly Sword, Lair or FFXIII. If I hadnt a good gaming PC I would even have to buy a 360. I have no history of playing FF, MGS, God of War, R&C etc. I have my PS3 mostly for potential because I believe it will in the long run have the games that offer the stuff I like (physics, diverse worlds with believable characters and AI, high polygon detail instead of huge textures and tons of shaders)

btw. what I really cant understand is why Wii is a 180° turn. It offers games similar to what the GC offered, it just added something. If you thought Nintendo games where great, you can now play them in an improved way. But if you thought Nintendo is the kiddy and you didnt like Nintendo games, is a different control type enough to suddenly dont care any longer? I know the Wii has or will have a lot more games, but that mostly a side effect of being successful. So the real turnaround is sales #s. That might lead to the conclusion that you (and it seems many others) buy systems for how good they sell.

quetz67 said:
btw. what I really cant understand is why Wii is a 180° turn. It offers games similar to what the GC offered, it just added something. If you thought Nintendo games where great, you can now play them in an improved way. But if you thought Nintendo is the kiddy and you didnt like Nintendo games, is a different control type enough to suddenly dont care any longer? I know the Wii has or will have a lot more games, but that mostly a side effect of being successful. So the real turnaround is sales #s. That might lead to the conclusion that you (and it seems many others) buy systems for how good they sell.

Wii is the first console designed for the people who do not play videogames. I dont think there could be a bigger turn.

edit: Oh, and the fact that you are so clueless about Wii reinforces my point. You are used to a 20 year old market model. You are seeing a new one today that it is not focused towards you. Thats why you are so clueless.

quetz67 said:

PC gamer here who plays RTSes quite extensively who loves the Wii, and is my only console.

The only thing I cant understand is people getting Wii (or GC) as their only console. In case of Wii I just think there werent enough games to get one through 5 years (not talking about casuals here).

Simple. I didn't like what consoles games were shaping up to be in the late 90s and pretty much forsaken them for a good part of the 21st century just because it doesn't appeal to me.

The Wii pretty much brought me back into console gaming again and I see no reason buying in (the exponentially expensive) "traditional"(cinematic, theatrical) consoles because I never liked them in the first place. I didn't even know MGS and Zelda(please don't kill me) were such big things until late 2006 and never saw the appeal of Halo at all(PC FPS >>>>>> Consoles FPS), nor FF(don't get me started with FF and JRPGs in general). The Wii, in my eyes, reinvented console gaming.

quetz67

Banned
Starchasing said:
Wii is the first console designed for the people who do not play videogames. I dont think there could be a bigger turn.
I understand that, but as far as I understand you are not one of those people. So why is it a 180° turn for you, there was no need to bring you into videogaming.

It is like someone invents a videogame console blind people can play (sorry for the example). That would be great for those who cant see and would be worthy of being applauded, but it wont mean anything for me as a gamer.

And for Nintendo as a company it sure means no 180° turn as that was always their target, just that they have never been that successful.

quetz67

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
PC gamer here who plays RTSes quite extensively who loves the Wii, and is my only console.

Simple. I didn't like what consoles games were shaping up to be in the late 90s and pretty much forsaken them for a good part of the 21st century just because it doesn't appeal to me.

The Wii pretty much brought me back into console gaming again and I see no reason buying in (the exponentially expensive) "traditional"(cinematic, theatrical) consoles because I never liked them in the first place. I didn't even know MGS and Zelda(please don't kill me) were such big things until late 2006 and never saw the appeal of Halo at all(PC FPS >>>>>> Consoles FPS), nor FF(don't get me started with FF and JRPGs in general). The Wii, in my eyes, reinvented console gaming.
I understand that, I didnt have another console besides Wii, but that only because (like you) I had a PC to complement it.

The reason I got a PS3 is the appeal of finally being able to play games in PC worthy resolutions on a big screen on the sofa. The worst thing about the Wii for me is that I have to chose between innovative control and latest in graphics instead of having both.

quetz67 said:
I understand that, but as far as I understand you are not one of those people. So why is it a 180° turn for you, there was no need to bring you into videogaming.

It is like someone invents a videogame console blind people can play (sorry for the example). That would be great for those who cant see and would be worthy of being applauded, but it wont mean anything for me as a gamer.

And for Nintendo as a company it sure means no 180° turn as that was always their target, just that they have never been that successful.

i have been playing since the atari days. I stopped playing during the Playstation days because games bored me. I have been a lapsed gamer since then, just like most of my friends. I like Wii because i play it with my gf and with my friends. Wii Sports never gets old when you have your loved ones next to you. The next game im buying is Big Brain Wii ... that is going to be great.

i dont want more complex, detailed worlds like you do. I already have that, it is called real life.

Neomoto

Holy shit at the Peach NPD press release. :lol I didn't see that one coming.

Jack Tretton said:
We fully realize that past success is no guarantee of future success, but it does give you some perspective. We have to bring the games to market that will showcase what the PS3 can do and ultimately entertain you like no other games have. We need to provide proof of what the PS3 can do for you and work tirelessly to improve the value and justify your investment. At the end of the day, it’s always been about the games. To push the boundaries of gaming beyond where they currently lie takes a great deal of risk. I think all the hardware manufacturers are doing that in some way. We could have easily produced PlayStation 2.5 at a slightly increased price over the older model, and driven some nice profits and marginal innovation for a few years but that’s not how we got where we are today. You have to gamble and make major investments in the present that will pay dividends in the future.
Oh you mean having not one but TWO failing systems on your hands after coming out as the absolute dominating marketleader for a decade?

And :lol at "marginal innovation", looks like someone doesn't know how to deal with losing.

Sharp

The Peach release actually depresses me, to be honest. It's not only unprofessional and somewhat arrogant, it's not very well-written and appeals mostly to the hardcore Nintendo fan. I know you guys will say, "They're just having fun, you're a spoilsport with an enormous stick up your ass," but it's a really bad press release and I hope they don't make this a trend.

Sharp said:
The Peach release actually depresses me, to be honest. It's not only unprofessional and somewhat arrogant, it's not very well-written and appeals mostly to the hardcore Nintendo fan. I know you guys will say, "They're just having fun, you're a spoilsport with an enormous stick up your ass," but it's a really bad press release and I hope they don't make this a trend.

The only people who cares about these types of things are....Nintendo fans. And perhaps, video game execs. But numbers already speak for themselves anyway, might as well have fun.

johnyqd

Sharp said:

It's silly and cute, obviously not targetted at me except in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way (I'm not a 9 year old girl...). What it does do perfectly is thank me for being a customer and remind me what products came out during the month.

The writing reminded me of any other Princess speech, she's not known for her way with words. As for arrogance, this was a breath of fresh air compared to other companies explanations of their low numbers.

quetz67

Banned
Starchasing said:
I like Wii because i play it with my gf and with my friends. Wii Sports never gets old when you have your loved ones next to you. The next game im buying is Big Brain Wii ... that is going to be great.
Thats why I play board games, I have my wife and friends around and they never get old although the graphics are a mixed bag.

Starchasing said:
i dont want more complex, detailed worlds like you do. I already have that, it is called real life.
What I have in real life is bowling for example. I am not a big fan of bowling, but I like it from time to time. Then I go bowling, I can feel it, it can feel the real athmosphere and it is an expirience that the Wii just cant copy. It is real life, it is complex and it comes in perfect doses.

If I wanted to play tennis I probably would, but I rather play badminton. Still I would never buy a badminton game might it be Wii or not at it wouldnt even come close to the real thing. If a play a sports game I rather play it for being a computer game. The challenge lies learning the gameplay, the timing and how to beat the AI. But it will never make me be a better tennis player or come close to the real thing.

So after all (warning exaggeration ahead) the Wii is just an excuse for those not up to the challenge of a real computer game and to lazy to do the real thing. The time you play bowling or golf on wii you actually spend doing the real thing (which I admit may include some driving and add extra costs)

quetz67 said:
So after all (warning exaggeration ahead) the Wii is just an excuse for those not up to the challenge of a real computer game and to lazy to do the real thing. The time you play bowling or golf on wii you actually spend doing the real thing (which I admit may include some driving and add extra costs)

Even though I don't agree with your views about the shallowness of Wii Sports, that's the point.

Sharp said:

I think it's great that the company didn't actually take its own press release seriously. We've grown accustomed to just how bad PR is in this industry (and any industry for that matter). With Sony and Microsoft, it's a constant reminder of how competitive spin is infused into a mess of corporate jargon. Something like this is a mockery of the whole thing, to the point where Nintendo doesn't mind releasing it's financial results through a fictional character. It's an absolute satire of the PR process.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Slavik81 said:
May_Since_Nov06.jpg

EDIT: I should probably have specified that these are USA sales only.
The quasi-straight Wii line frightens me...

(the PS3 line, on the other hand, makes le lol)

It's interesting that both the DS and (especially) the Wii buck the trend to a certain degree while the others including the GBA tend to have very similar curves.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
titiklabingapat said:
It's interesting that both the DS and (especially) the Wii buck the trend to a certain degree while the others including the GBA tend to have very similar curves.
The DS actually has a profile very similar to the other consoles, but with a much higher slope: fast growth through december, christmas bump, and then a slower growth after a small post-christmas recess.

The Wii is the only console to have a near-linear curve, showing how dependent it is on stocks.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Slavik81 said:
May_Since_Nov06.jpg

EDIT: I should probably have specified that these are USA sales only.

Wait a tick. Has the DS really almost sold 5 million units in America in just the last half year? In the same territory where the very same system sold only 50,000 units in one month? Doesn't this just make your brain want to explode?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Barf_the_Mog said:
Wait a tick. Has the DS really almost sold 5 million units in America in just the last half year? In the same territory where the very same system sold only 50,000 units in one month? Doesn't this just make your brain want to explode?

Yeah, what happened with DS was incredible. It was a strange platform vs two(psp and gba) regular platforms, I expected Wii to do like that at first against the other systems, but it seems the DS really prepared the ground in advance.

Quetz. I'm a gamer, and I only have a Wii. While things like FF13 and Halo 3 impress me and lure me in, I simply cannot afford them. Hell, I'm excited for things out right now or coming very soon. VF5 and Eternal Sonata look to be excellent games, and I wish I could play.

However, it is simply too expensive. I just cannot. And I don't sell my games/consoles because I know how hard it is to acquire them monetarily. Whether I work for them or my parents buy them for me, I appreciate that it took hard work to get those things. Thus, I don't discard them so easily. The only games I ever traded in were Wind Waker and Skies of Arcadia. I heavily regret doing so. It's just nice knowing you have these games and you can replay them whenever you want.

Also, I don't see the Wii lineup as lacking, as you implied when you said "Wii alone is not enough for a gamer." Besides the main Nintendo titles, I look forward to Guilty Gear, Soul Calibur, and Nights. That's enough for me, along with the main titles, for quite a while.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
FlightOfHeaven said:
The only games I ever traded in were Wind Waker and Skies of Arcadia. I heavily regret doing so. It's just nice knowing you have these games and you can replay them whenever you want.

You traded those two in? You poor guy. ;_;

quetz67

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
Quetz. I'm a gamer, and I only have a Wii. While things like FF13 and Halo 3 impress me and lure me in, I simply cannot afford them. Hell, I'm excited for things out right now or coming very soon. VF5 and Eternal Sonata look to be excellent games, and I wish I could play.
I do not say you should get a PS3 or 360 right now or that many people will at the current price. But prices drop. It is not like everybody was able to afford the PS2 at $299.

FlightOfHeaven said:
I heavily regret doing so. It's just nice knowing you have these games and you can replay them whenever you want.
I see this more practical. If I sell a game and feel like playing it again later (it is not that often) I can then buy it again at a lower price. But I didnt sell Wind Waker incl. OoT nor the complete RE series and MP(2) as I am pretty sure I will play them on Wii again (OK, I sold RE4 as I knew I would get the Wii version later)

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
quetz67 said:
The worst thing about the Wii for me is that I have to chose between innovative control and latest in graphics instead of having both.
So consequentially, this is also the worst thing about the PS3?

Top Bottom