• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

JudgeN

Someone explain to me why in the holy hell people thought the PSP was going to outsell the DS? People call the PSP a failure but yet forget that Nintendo has ALWAYS dominated the handheld market since the birth of handhelds. Personally I think its amazing that the PSP has done better then any other handheld ever created when it comes to competition with nintendo handheld.

JudgeN said:
Someone explain to me why in the holy hell people thought the PSP was going to outsell the DS? People call the PSP a failure but yet forget that Nintendo has ALWAYS dominated the handheld market since the birth of handhelds. Personally I think its amazing that the PSP has done better then any other handheld ever created when it comes to competition with nintendo handheld.
t-t-t-time warp

JudgeN said:
Someone had to eat a pair of children's Puma shoes because of how obvious it seemed.

Parl

JudgeN said:

Ain't it true. Especially how other manufacturers had huge, popular global brands like "NeoGeo" on it. The PSP had to deal with "Sony" and "PlayStation". Sony's relationship with third parties has come a long way too.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
JudgeN said:

why did people think the psp would beat ds?

um playstation one and two....100m each.

jman2050

ShockingAlberto said:
Damn. I can't find any pre-2006 threads about the DS and PSP.

Did you set your profile to display all threads from the beginning? Yeah, took me a while to realize I could do that >_> You'd have to search manually though, since the forum search only goes back to January 2006...

mclem

JudgeN said:
Someone explain to me why in the holy hell people thought the PSP was going to outsell the DS?
See those first two letters? I've bolded them to make them nice and clear. That's why.

Cruceh

Banned
You say that now in retrospect. A name as big as playstation has not entered the market ever, so of course people would think otherwise.

quetz67

Banned
JudgeN said:
Handheld market and console market are two different things, the PS doesn't mean shit.
Exactly, the stupid thing is that most people automatically connect the DS domination in the portable market with PS failure in the home console market.

And I dont think your statement is correct, to many of those who bought a PSP the PS probably means something. Assuming not everyone uses it to only play Nintendo classics on it.

quetz67

Banned
Cruceh said:
You say that now in retrospect. A name as big as playstation has not entered the market ever, so of course people would think otherwise.
I think Nintendo always was a big name as playstation, in one market or the other

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
quetz67 said:
Exactly, the stupid thing is that most people automatically connect the DS domination in the portable market with PS failure in the home console market.
What?

Cruceh said:
Plus the PSP is a fukcing powerhouse while the DS isn't. And the PSP looks lots better en 'cooler' than the DS (brick). At that time everybody thought the DS was a stupid and rushed handheld to keep the PSP from complete domination while waiting for the GBA-nextgen.

But as you can see, it turned out quite differently.

Quetz, I'm not sure I'm understanding you right, but if what you're saying is that people saw DS winning over PSP coming, or that people only expected PSP to carve out a small niche in the handheld market, then you have officially passed the line of delusional bullshit no-return.

Grecco

Talk about Revisionist History..

No one thought the DS was going to win. Hell we had Threads from people guessing when the PSP would pass the DS in World Wide sales

anybody who says otherwise is probably lieing.

quetz67

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Quetz, I'm not sure I'm understanding you right, but if what you're saying is that people saw DS winning over PSP coming, or that people only expected PSP to carve out a small niche in the handheld market, then you have officially passed the line of delusional bullshit no-return.
Sorry, I can return the favor of not understanding what you try to say

Basically, what I was saying at that time is that the handheld market it completely different from the home console market (with graphics less important and easy quick in/out gaming, size and battery life more important) and that people shouldnt underestimate the name Nintendo in that market. My expectaitions at that time was that maybe Sony would be able to become a strong contender over a generation or two if they try hard.

If you dont believe me try to find some of the threads around the time when PSP price was announced.

JudgeN

Grecco said:
Talk about Revisionist History..

No one thought the DS was going to win. Hell we had Threads from people guessing when the PSP would pass the DS in World Wide sales

anybody who says otherwise is probably lieing.

Didn't read GAF back then but damn I never ever thought the PSP would outsell the DS even with the brand name "Playstation". By them being 2 different markets and third party developers always making the good games for nintendo handheld's, I just couldn't see them jumping that 10+ year ship to make games for the PSP.

quetz67

Banned
Jocchan said:
That's what I don't get: who's connecting DS sales to the PS3 ones?
People with this line of thought:

- The PSP will kill the DS, it is so much more powerful and the Sony brand is the killer
- Oops, the PSP didnt kill the DS, graphics mean nothing, the PS brandname means nothing
- This time I wont make the same mistake again, from what I learned from the PSP/DS desaster is obvious Wii will kill the PS3

Not that I believe the Wii will do bad or the PS3 will rule like the PS2, but IMO only 6 month of sales dont point automatically in the opposite direction.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Um, didn't Nintendo's stock go down the very day they announced the PSP, such was the expectation that Sony were going to shatter the handheld market and make it their own?

quetz67 said:

- The PSP will kill the DS, it is so much more powerful and the Sony brand is the killer
- Oops, the PSP didnt kill the DS, graphics mean nothing, the PS brandname means nothing
- This time I wont make the same mistake again, from what I learned from the PSP/DS desaster is obvious Wii will kill the PS3
Uh

No one's actually, like, said any of this in this thread. Or anything close to this.

You realize that the systems are actually out now, right? And we're discussing the sales of the systems in this thread? I suppose you could argue that someone somewhere on GAF posted this line of thinking a year ago, but people who are saying this now are saying it because of sales, not because they're making educated guesstimates based on the PSP/DS war.

quetz67

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Uh

No one's actually, like, said any of this in this thread. Or anything close to this.

You realize that the systems are actually out now, right? And we're discussing the sales of the systems in this thread? I suppose you could argue that someone somewhere on GAF posted this line of thinking a year ago, but people who are saying this now are saying it because of sales, not because they're making educated guesstimates based on the PSP/DS war.
yes, but one is able do more than following that line of thought I described, one should also be able to do more than take current numbers, multiply them by the appropriate number of month left and rule out any other outcome as an impossibility.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
quetz67 said:

Not that I believe the Wii will do bad or the PS3 will rule like the PS2, but IMO only 6 month of sales dont point automatically in the opposite direction.
I haven't read anything about that around here, that's why I was dubious.

Aeris130

quetz67 said:

These past months have only pointed in one direction so far, and it's not in favor of the PS3. They didn't point that way automatically though, Nintendo had to sell a helluva lot of units to make it happen.

Well, I found a thread about the PSP vs. DS talk. It's not like there is a fight about it with a lot trolling, but it gives a pretty good impression of what the general public thought of the situation back then.

Joe Molotov

JudgeN said:

Naive, deluded, or just didn't have the internet prior to 2006? Taking all bets!

D.Lo

Barf_the_Mog said:
Wait a tick. Has the DS really almost sold 5 million units in America in just the last half year? In the same territory where the very same system sold only 50,000 units in one month? Doesn't this just make your brain want to explode?
Well the GBA was still outselling both DS and PSP for most of 2005 until the DS took off, and still held it's own against the PSP even up until the end of 2006.

Here's some interesting figures, someone with better NPD numbers could probabaly do this better, I'm missing a few NDS and GBA months.

DSes sold since launch - 11,287,100
PSPs sold since launch - 7,660,100
GBAs sold since PSP launch - about 7,500,000
GBAs sold since DS launch - about 10 million

Nintendo handhelds sold since the DS launch - around 21 million
Nintendo handhelds sold since the PSP launch - around 16 million

Sony handhelds sold since the PSP launch - 7,660,100

Looking at it this way, the US has been almost as much of a bloodbath as Japan. Even in the last six months the PSP and GBA have sold about even.

Jammy

Banned
God, the DS/PSP launch and period after were so crazy. Nowadays each handheld has their respective mindset that people have of them. DS is that crazy seller that defied all expectations and is home to many, many great games and the PSP is the handheld that still quietly gets solid/hit games and maintains good hardware numbers.

In the cluster**** that is "next-generation," the PSP and DS are seen much more in a better light. I'd rather have a DS and a PSP than any new console right now, what with price, hardware malfunctions, etc. being big issues. It's such a better time now.

There was a time when there was huge trolling on places like NGG, here, etc. People wrote off the DS, saying it was just a stopgap until Nintendo released a new GameBoy. PSP was amazing with its graphics and it would receive the biggest third party support because it had the PlayStation backing. Back then, it wasn't always "Nintendo has been the king of handhelds and they will stay the king." It was more "GameBoy/non-GB versus the PlayStation brand." People didn't know how well the DS would do as a Nintendo handheld simply because the GameBoy brand that had lasted for 15 years was being cut.

Deku

Banned
The interesting thing with the DS/PSP in USA is that up till last June (just 12 months ago) both consoles were selling evenly, and DS had a slim 100k lead. Since then its opened up a huge lead.

cvxfreak

Man, barely any post touted in that thread actually came to light as is.

dark10x was right about there not being another Nintendo handheld (except for the micro I suppose), while he was dead wrong about DS being another Game Boy.

Insertia was wrong about FFIII being a DS port because they couldn't get away with a Famicom port on PSP. Ironically we now stare in the face of FFI and FFII Anniversary. :lol

No comment on Pimpwerx, Idiot Member, and of course sonycowboy.

But times have changed and hindsight is 20/20.

quetz67 said:
Thats why I play board games, I have my wife and friends around and they never get old although the graphics are a mixed bag.

What I have in real life is bowling for example. I am not a big fan of bowling, but I like it from time to time. Then I go bowling, I can feel it, it can feel the real athmosphere and it is an expirience that the Wii just cant copy. It is real life, it is complex and it comes in perfect doses.

If I wanted to play tennis I probably would, but I rather play badminton. Still I would never buy a badminton game might it be Wii or not at it wouldnt even come close to the real thing. If a play a sports game I rather play it for being a computer game. The challenge lies learning the gameplay, the timing and how to beat the AI. But it will never make me be a better tennis player or come close to the real thing.

So after all (warning exaggeration ahead) the Wii is just an excuse for those not up to the challenge of a real computer game and to lazy to do the real thing. The time you play bowling or golf on wii you actually spend doing the real thing (which I admit may include some driving and add extra costs)

This comes perilously close to saying "get off your ass and stop playing those stupid videogames!". I think the Wii has warped your mind.

I realize you were talking about sports games, which I'm also not fond of, but it really does sound like you're grasping at any straw you can reach when it comes to anti-Wii arguments.

KevinRo

herod said:
"The user who is so accustomed to PS2, which has a very high penetration rate in the world, could migrate to PSP,"

Interesting, did Sony splinter their userbase to the detriment of the PS3?

No, this mentality is what splintered their userbase:

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO David Reeves said:
We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even [if] it didn't have games,

Top Bottom