• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

nampad

So CBOAT trolled and the difference was 400k? Then there is no denying that this was a big win for Microsoft. Their pricing was crazy and that does matter a lot.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Sho_Nuff82 said:
or price dropping the original Xbox to be price matched with PS2 at $199.
The way I remember it XB1 was a record holder for the fastest price-drop in Europe - and IIRC Sony just trolled them in US with announcing the first drop a week early - it was widely expected MS would drop at the time.

Allegedly MS green light SSOD 2. I think it did well digitally. For a new IP I think it did well. Wouldn't be suprised to see MS offer it as a game with gold this spring. They want people to try it out and get ready for 2.
NPD needs to start tracking digital, allegedly 20% of sales are nothing to scoff at.

border

I think Microsoft's strategy for 2015 will be a $350 pricetag with no games bundled. Or they will bundle some Microsoft-published games so they don't have to pay anything for them. Return of the Sunset Overdrive bundle, I hope?

shanew21

Wait a moment, could it be that CBOAT meant that the gap between PS4 and Xbone in the US now is 710k and that we just didn't correctly translate his crazy-type this time?
No. That's just you wanting to believe. One of the reasons he's been regarded as a true leaker for so long is because when he's wrong people assume he was being cryptic and was actually right. Self fulfilling prophecy.

MepH-

Neo Member
Sidetracking, but PS4 sales.

us npd aug 10: ~3.8m
worldwide sony aug 10: ~10m

us npd nov 29: ~5.63m

Assuming the same ratio (38%), worldwide would be 14.7 million. Assuming November is stronger due to Black Friday in the US, increasing the ratio (40%), the 14.1 million number Sony showed on PSX could indeed be their worldwide sellthrough sales until Nov. 29/30.

No. I don't think so.
Remember that the PS4 was supply constrained in the whole world at launch, but the situation in US was way better than Europe as an exemple. (some 'big' countries as France/Germany and many many other smaller ones were supply constrained untill may)

PS4 YTD 2013: 4.2M (with USA: 48% (2.0M from NPD))
PS4 YTD 2014 'till August 10th: 5.8M (with USA: ~31% (~1.8M from NPD))

if we go by USA:WW ratios for PS4 we have:
Nov+Dec 2013: 48%
Jan-Aug 10th 2014: 31% (with probably something like Jan-Apr 2014: ~33% and May-Aug 2014: ~29%)
LTD Through August 2014: 38% (as you said)

With those numbers, the PS4 USA:WW ratio was at best 31% for September and October 2014.
Even with a great November in the US, there's no way the USA:WW LTD ratio is ~40% as of November 29th 2014, maybe something like 36% or 37% looks right (meaning ~15.2M to ~15.7M Worldwide. The number from PSX was clearly outdated)

Bricky

Unity did around 1.5M if you include bundles. MS sold around 700-800k of them.

Honestly I doubt most of those bundles were bought specifically for Unity. They technically count as units sold of course, but I still can't imagine Ubisoft being pleasantly surprised about the stand-alone numbers if you make an approximation as to what it'll have done worldwide based on this. Especially if you take into account that Xbox One is still leagues behind the PS4 worldwide.

By Ubisoft standards (remember the incredible numbers Watch_Dogs did) this is a bomba. All the negative buzz won't have a positive impact on Victory either.

Ocelott

Only 400k difference? I thought it would be more... Good Job MS and it wouldn't surprise me if Sony Releases a cheaper Ps4 soon

Brashnir

Allegedly MS green light SSOD 2. I think it did well digitally. For a new IP I think it did well. Wouldn't be suprised to see MS offer it as a game with gold this spring. They want people to try it out and get ready for 2.

Could be a digital darling, or it could simply be that MS finally realized that they need to stick with some of these franchises that only do OK numbers out of the gate to try and build some brands to fill out their catalog.

It's like playing poker - If you throw away every hand that's not aces, you won't win enough when you finally get them to offset the ante.

edit - or maybe you're full of crap and they're still drawing down to the aces.

Honestly I doubt most of those bundles were bought specifically for Unity. They technically count as units sold of course, but I still can't imagine Ubisoft being pleasantly surprised about the stand-alone numbers if you make an approximation as to what it'll have done worldwide based on this. Especially if you take into account that Xbox One is still leagues behind the PS4 worldwide.

By Ubisoft standards (remember the incredible numbers Watch_Dogs did) this is a bomba. All the negative buzz won't have a positive impact on Victory either.
Yeah I agree. They know it which is why the season pass is gone and they are offering a free game.

Occam

No. That's just you wanting to believe. One of the reasons he's been regarded as a true leaker for so long is because when he's wrong people assume he was being cryptic and was actually right. Self fulfilling prophecy.

Nah, I don't want to believe it. I was just looking for a rational explanation.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
7jsWt7e.jpg

This highlights even more how huge COD sales went down in the past few years. And Activision tried to pump as many preorders as possible with the Day Zero SKU. Insane drop. However, still massive sales as well.

SgtCobra

Where did you get that information from?
And shouldn't Insomniac be working on the new Ratchet & Clank right now?
If what you're saying is correct then we shouldn't expect a new Sunset Overdrive before summer 2016 at the earliest.

Also, there is absolutely no reason for Insomniac to go exclusive again for a sequel. The game can sell a lot more on PC and PS4.

NPD is still not tracking digital sales, right?

So Software sales listed in NPD should become less and less relevant over time as more people buy digitally.

What's the estimate of digital sales for a game like Dragon Age? 20%?

The new gen consoles sold a combined 2 million in November? That's fantastic. And good job to MS for making the XB One value proposition so favorable. Have to credit them for recognizing and responding to market trends.

What a fantastic month, with only the small stain of no Dragon Age in the top 10. Maker preserve us.

Where did you get that information from?
And shouldn't Insomniac be working on the new Ratchet & Clank right now?
If what you're saying is correct then we shouldn't expect a new Sunset Overdrive before summer 2016 at the earliest.

Also, there is absolutely no reason for Insomniac to go exclusive again for a sequel. The game can sell a lot more on PC and PS4.

I remember seeing some noise right around the weeknd free trial and discounted sale.

They have 2 teams.

SgtCobra

I remember seeing some noise right around the weeknd free trial and discounted sale.

They have 2 teams.
Well then, post your source..
They are both working on the Ratchet and Clank game. While I'm sure not all their workforce is on that project it's pretty clear they both will be severely occupied till the game releases.

Official Insomniac website said:
Our California and North Carolina studios are making the game together, marking our deepest cross-country collaboration to date. Many of the original developers responsible for the very first Ratchet & Clank game have an opportunity to create the stunning Solana Galaxy that they–and our fans–have always wanted to see. Longtime Design Director Brian Allgeier, Studio Director Chad Dezern, and Game Director Shaun McCabe will lead the project.

Chobel

Maybe cboat was trolled by Timdog made up numbers, I mean many other people did. Of course he should verified the numbers before posting in this thread.

border

Would someone be so kind to explain me what happened with CBOAT and the gap?
Thanks in advance.

CBOAT implied that the difference between the two systems this month was 7-10K units.

This was followed by pages and pages of now retroactively hilarious gloating and amazement.

People with actual access to numbers said that the gap was closer to 400K units.

Moderators grew tired of CBOAT stirring up shit with patently incorrect information, instituted a 5 month ban.

Everyone's harsh on CBOAT. The worst thing he did this year, outside of today, was confront a dev/publisher about the technical quality of a game (Titanfall) and if there's one thing that sums up 2014 it's devs/publishers bullshitting about the technical quality of their games.

Even today, the Eurogamer preview about The Order warned off people preordering because of bugs.

USC-fan

Banned
Seems the fire sales work well for ms. They were selling for around $200 net on black friday.

$200 xbone + acbf $20 + acu $60 + $50 gc = 330.

Really like to see if they can keep this up into 2015. Bet we see another fire holiday 2015 sale!

Well done but not surprising, pure economics that sales volume will increase when the price of a product is lowered. Not to mention the larger install base of PS4 right now means less folks buying this holiday. I'm more interested in the revenue and margins associated with MSFT price cuts/bundles because that's the bottom line.

Also I didn't see on the front page has Sony not put out a press release on this? Wish these companies put out hard data oh well seems like GAF is good at estimates :)

Chobel

So is it possible that MS can close the gap this month if Xbone continues to sell this well compared to PS4

Well, duh. It's basic math.

------------------------------

I also wanna hear about this alleged sequel to SO, gamechanger87. Source please.

GamerJM

Banned
Okay, so I asked this way back at the beginning of the topic, but I figure now isn't a bad time to ask again: How was the ORAS double pack counted for sales? Was it a separate game that didn't chart?

TomShoe

Banned
Okay, so I asked this way back at the beginning of the topic, but I figure now isn't a bad time to ask again: How was the ORAS double pack counted for sales? Was it a separate game that didn't chart?

One would assume it would just count for each game individually, considering it's just the two games thrown together with some different packaging.

My poor Wii U is truly dead ):
10% YOY increase is all they can manage after all of their heavy hitters are gone. What could even make a dent now? I doubt Zelda U could. Maybe a true Amiibo game?

Ushay

Turned the early access demo off after 5 minutes, thought it looked ugly and had really poor controls.

Your opinion = My Opinion

It's not to everyone's taste, understandably.

Bioware has to atone for their sins before I give them any more goodwill.

They have through DAI, the general consensus is very positive, head on over to the OT for impressions. I understand your sentiment with DA2 however, but I still stick by the principle that good games should sell well regardless of developer.

Woah so what happened over the last 12 hours here then? I was super tired last night but forced myself to stay up for NPD. I read the first ten pages or so of this thread and witnessed all the CBOAT chaos. So what happened? CBOAT's bomb on the first page was a lie?

I'm reading back through the thread now trying to catch up. So according to Cream the difference was actually 400K and CBOAT was incorrect?

Krakn3Dfx

300-400k sounds about right given the bottom of the barrel pricing and freebies MS was throwing in with the system, can't imagine they made any money in November, and after paying publishers for all those free games, they probably actually lost money, but they did manage to close the gap by a 3rd in the US, give or take. I'd wager Sony made more money in November on console sales than MS did, most of the big releases still sold more on the PS4, minus bundling, COD, and Madden.

People thinking MS will wipe out the gap completely by February, lol. January and February will be dead months, if anything in the first half of the year is going to move a needle, it'll be Bloodborne when it hits, and more so in Japan than in the US I would think.

It'll be interesting to see if they stick at $350 come January or raise back up to $400. If they settle at $350, I expect to see Sony announce a cut to $350 around E3, probably not before.

Top Bottom