• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

I'm sorry. This is just a bad post. Not responding to trash.

With ALL the games coming out early next year? I don't think 400 thousand is insurmountable at all considering MS doesn't have much by comparison until atleast Q2
Does this 400k wipe out the consistent leads that the PS4 has made every month prior?

What's the total global, NA, and UK sold for both systems?

I've actually been meaning to ask, do you also think software sales this gen are going to be much lower than the previous generation?

I think this generation is going to have a bigger software decline in contrast to a hardware decline. But I'd like to know your, and John Harker if he's here, position on the lackluster software sales.

Packaged? Yes. Sales of packaged software are likely to continue to decline.

Packaged + Digital + DLC? No. Overall spending on software, including Digital Distribution and DLC has not declined. Between 15-25% of Day 1 sales on core titles are coming digitally now, however, which could get to 25-35% by end 2015. Over a product's life 15-20% of sales will come digitally right now. By end 2015 that maybe gets to 20-25%?? Combine that with what looks to be a packed 2015, can see a path to double digit % growth in software spend in 2015. Look for more offers digitally that include the base game with a season pass at some kind of combined discount (-10% or -15%) with a digital pre-order. This will be the trend of 2015.

Wow, that's impressive numbers for MS. I expected a 250k-300k gap, certainly not a 400k one but I guess the PR early on in the month should have been a good indication of the massive success they were having.

Beefy

If MS truly knew who he was he wouldn't be posting anything cause he'd be in custody. Leaking corporate details/secrets is kind of a big deal to large corporations.

What is better lock up a guy posting info or discredit that source by feeding him fake info. Either way would have basically the same effect.

Bricky

Well, I guess this makes up for Microsoft really underestimating how big the impact of a $100 price difference would be. The insanely priced bundles should be worth it in the long run (thank god they decided to drop Kinect for their own sake).

DA:I not really showing up anywhere is sad but honestly expected. It might be good, but there is no way a Dragon Age game would beat all the other heavyweight champions releasing in November without some amazing marketing. Just being a Bioware game isn't enough anymore, and Dragon Age isn't Mass Effect.

Unity also doing somewhat worse than I expected, not even outperforming Far Cry 4. Guess bad word of mouth and mediocre reviews really do have an impact huh. It will be interesting to see how it will stack up against Black Flag after a few months.

Amused

They should have already. Sell through was always pretty close to shipped for PS4 and the 840K from the US are not the only PS4s sold.

Might have happened - maybe probable it has happened?

Assumed the 14 million number at PSX was "up to date", but I guess they might not have had numbers later than october 31?

Beefy

Does this 400k wipe out the consistent leads that the PS4 has made every month prior?

What's the total global, NA, and UK sold for both systems?

A few people were saying Sony are still 800k ahead in NA. The 400k more consoles was also just for NA.

SSReborn

If MS truly knew who he was he wouldn't be posting anything cause he'd be in custody. Leaking corporate details/secrets is kind of a big deal to large corporations.

CBOAT is MS they use him to leak fake info to gauge reactions on certain things

*tinfoilhat*

Bluenoser

No one should congratulate any giant, multi-billion dollar conglomerate for any reason ever.

^This. Congrats Microsoft for giving away your product to stay competitive. Well done.... because you know, this is more effective than building up consumer confidence, and a great games library year round which will make people see the value of your product and buy it at full price.

This entire thread is everyone having the same response to cboat's post. Lets talk about something else, please.

Dragon Age bombing isn't so hot, but I see it being a longterm seller with the great word of mouth it is getting (even though I do not like it very much), and the fact that it is early in the generation.

Nintendo had a great month. If it turns out that Nintendo really did get $1 billion in revenue from Amiibos, then goddamn, they be makin' bank even with a flopping Wii U.

710k * $13 = $9.23m

Nowhere close to $1B.

Kem0sabe

didn't DA:eek:rigins start off quite slow then pick up later, after a couple of months. I know I didn't get it at launch and only picked it when passing it in the isle.

Origins was promoted as the successor of Bg2 tho, which to this day still has a lot of goodwill in the rpg community, plus it ran smoothly on both PC's and consoles, so that helped it remain relevant.

Inquisition on the other hand, came following the commercial and critical failure that was DA:2 and the the biggest PR bullet point was "it's sort of like Skyrim but not", plus the PC recommended specs are huge, the last generation console versions look and play horribly, and even the next gen console versions have issues.

I have a feeling it will sell less than Origins in the long run, and be less relevant.

Catdaddy

As far as DA, I think it'll have legs, especially if it starts getting some love via either winning or being nominated for GOTY from various outlets. It was released in a month with a ton of higher profile games.

I'll be getting it for Xmas, and purposely put off playing it since it's an RPG and will take much longer to complete than the AC, FC4, GTA5 that I picked up in Nov.

As far as DA, I think it'll have legs, especially if it starts getting some love via either winning or being nominated for GOTY from various outlets. It was released in a month with a ton of higher profile games.

I'll be getting it for Xmas, and purposely put off playing it since it's an RPG and will take much longer to complete than the AC, FC4, GTA5 that I picked up in Nov.
Yeah, I'm not too worried about DA. It has great reviews and word of mouth, game came out in the heaviest month of the year and in the same day as GTA, people will get it eventually.

Joeki11a

Banned
Wow, that's impressive numbers for MS. I expected a 250k-300k gap, certainly not a 400k one but I guess the PR early on in the month should have been a good indication of the massive success they were having.

What are the chances MS held tons of xboxes? and flooded the market? They havent exactly been selling out.

People make it seem BF madness saw things like ps4s at the shelves

as customers passed it by running towards Xbones.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think it was already clear that the Bloomberg writer confused Reggie's estimate of 1$ projected till the end of 2014 for the OVERALL figurines market (amiibo + Skylanders + Infinity) for an estimate about just amiibo. Why are users still confused about it :p

Packaged? Yes. Sales of packaged software are likely to continue to decline.

Packaged + Digital + DLC? No. Overall spending on software, including Digital Distribution and DLC has not declined. Between 15-25% of Day 1 sales on core titles are coming digitally now, however, which could get to 25-35% by end 2015. Over a product's life 15-20% of sales will come digitally right now. By end 2015 that maybe gets to 20-25%?? Combine that with what looks to be a packed 2015, can see a path to double digit % growth in software spend in 2015. Look for more offers digitally that include the base game with a season pass at some kind of combined discount (-10% or -15%) with a digital pre-order. This will be the trend of 2015.

Appreciate the color. I think people are discounting the fact that NPD doesn't really get digital. Some games may look like they had poor sales but may have been a heavy digital preorder buy. I agree that 25 percent digital is coming soon. The preloading is a godsend for digital and adding in pre order bonuses will continue that trend.

Bruno MB

7jsWt7e.jpg

Well, I guess this makes up for Microsoft really underestimating how big the impact of a $100 price difference would be. The insanely priced bundles should be worth it in the long run (thank god they decided to drop Kinect for their own sake).

DA:I not really showing up anywhere is sad but honestly expected. It might be good, but there is no way a Dragon Age game would beat all the other heavyweight champions releasing in November without some amazing marketing. Just being a Bioware game isn't enough anymore, and Dragon Age isn't Mass Effect.

Unity also doing somewhat worse than I expected, not even outperforming Far Cry 4. Guess bad word of mouth and mediocre reviews really do have an impact huh. It will be interesting to see how it will stack up against Black Flag after a few months.

Unity did around 1.5M if you include bundles. MS sold around 700-800k of them.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
No DAI this month, no Sunset O. last month? I am disappointed with consumers.

And people still complain why we get annual sequels of COD, AC. Well because it sells. Companies look at sale numbers and not review scores.

Wait a moment, could it be that CBOAT meant that the gap between PS4 and Xbone in the US now is 710k and that we just didn't corretly translate his crazy-type this time?

There is absolutely no excuse to miss type a number and let the craziness drag for 40+ pgs. It was a troll post nothing more

No DAI this month, no Sunset O. last month? I am disappointed with consumers.

Allegedly MS green light SSOD 2. I think it did well digitally. For a new IP I think it did well. Wouldn't be suprised to see MS offer it as a game with gold this spring. They want people to try it out and get ready for 2.

Well they could have him in custody, and have access to his account details through CIA-inspired interrogation methods and use his account to post fake crap to discredit his earlier leaks.

He hit Microsoft with a jab so he should have been ready for a flurry of uppercuts coming at him in response.

Wait a moment, could it be that CBOAT meant that the gap between PS4 and Xbone in the US now is 710k and that we just didn't corretly translate his crazy-type this time?

He had a chance to correct himself and didn't. That may be where he got his number but as Bish said he was quite clear in what he meant.

Bluenoser

He had a chance to correct himself and didn't. That may be where he got his number but as Bish said he was quite clear in what he meant.

Ya he essentially popped into the thread, threw out a controversial number, and sat back and watched 45 pages of chaos ensue, without once coming in to clarify his post. Seems kinda troll-ish to me.

Top Bottom