• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Joeki11a

Banned
I dont get how they can claim this
it was super desperate, they lose money trying to win a month...??? kinda sad.

Sony took they were not going to respond
we been beating them since Nov 2013 route
but a 349.99 price drop will happen in 2015.

Since MS will probably have the Xbox Slim out at $349.99 in 2015(E3 surprise), then Ps4 slim
2016 349.99 slims vs slims battle happens.

UberTag

True. To be honest I think Sony is more interested in profit than 'winning' anything anyway. 840k consoles is still a lot and I imagine any gap in the U.S may possibly be wiped out when PS4 launches in China (no idea how it'll do there??).

I think PS4 will continue to lead worldwide, it won in the UK last week for instance, and the rest of Europe too I imagine.
There's no question that PS4 will continue to dominate globally. Microsoft is only interested in preserving dominant market share in the United States and England (and I believe they will lead in those markets eventually - possibly by the end of 2015).

As for Sony, given the sorry state of that company as a whole, they had better be more interested in profits than winning a meaningless pissing contest with a mutual competitor that is largely offering an identical product.

So December seems like almost a guaranteed sure thing for X1 as well what will be interesting is in January. I can't imagine MS will change the price it seems like the bundle will be an official price drop from now on. Sony has all the good looking exclusives for Spring while MS is completely barren. Makes sense for them to keep incentives high with the lower price.

I love NPD threads. Especially good ones like these.

Its when the mask slips off and you see that GAF is just Gamefaqs with a superiority complex. :p

True. To be honest I think Sony is more interested in profit than 'winning' anything anyway. 840k consoles is still a lot and I imagine any gap in the U.S may possibly be wiped out when PS4 launches in China (no idea how it'll do there??).

I think PS4 will continue to lead worldwide, it won in the UK last week for instance, and the rest of Europe too I imagine.
I didn't get that by looking at their balance sheet.

Damn, son, 400k difference? Things just got interesting. Good thing I'm still waiting to jump on the current gen, I'm loving these price drops. :D

Congrats to the Microsoft team. Sony didn't do bad either, considering the competition. I wonder if they'll stay the course or try more aggressive bundles for Christmas to try and make up for Black Friday.

Wii U, Vita... :(

Tell me how you feel about the dedicated handheld gaming market...

But to your point, these are absolutely stellar PS4/Xone numbers, both in November and life to date. Now if we could start getting more functional games that people might like to buy to run on these boxes we'd be in better shape overall.

Cosmic that's just mean. Or by dedicated handheld market, do you mean mobile? :)

I don't think we see a dedicated handheld from another console manufacturer. That market isn't worth the resources anymore.

Hey, drop Kinect and price to $400 (pissing off early adopters and developers), lower your price again $50 and make some bundles, some good games (Sunset Overdrive, AssCreed 4: Black Flag, CoD: AW) and one with a shitty, buggy game (AssCreed: Unity)

THEN

I am sure your console will sell.

After all, people like cheap products priced cheaply.

driver116

HAh3VAl.png

Is this US or WW?

Beefy

Oh I'm not implying that he knew it was fake. I'm implying that he is using whatever he's given to push his agenda. Not factchecking his data enough is just icing on the cake ;)

I don't believe he has a agenda, I just think MS know who he is so feed him crap info to make him look bad.

Any ways back to NPD, I think XBOX1 will outsell PS4 by 325k in Dec.

FZZ

Banned
Tell me how you feel about the dedicated handheld gaming market...

But to your point, these are absolutely stellar PS4/Xone numbers, both in November and life to date. Now if we could start getting more functional games that people might like to buy to run on these boxes we'd be in better shape overall.

I've actually been meaning to ask, do you also think software sales this gen are going to be much lower than the previous generation?

I think this generation is going to have a bigger software decline in contrast to a hardware decline. But I'd like to know your, and John Harker if he's here, position on the lackluster software sales.

Joeki11a

Banned
So GOTY didnt sell?
makes wonder if Geoff awards were a Peter Moore TV Ad

But really it seems like it got lost in the
shuffle, happens in this business

oh btw people said CODAW was declining...
at this point November is COD month in gaming.

Didn't digital do like 1.2 billion this month alone? NPD doesn't track digital. The consoles are also still in their infancy.

As MS has shown there a real thirst at the right price point. Sub $300 and these things are going to sell like crazy.

The general trend is downward though and the industry is contracting.

These are still successful console sales, but we could be looking at the last generation of the home console (or a continuation downward next next gen) if there isn't something uniquely appealing down the pipeline.

So December seems like almost a guaranteed sure thing for X1 as well what will be interesting is in January. I can't imagine MS will change the price it seems like the bundle will be an official price drop from now on. Sony has all the good looking exclusives for Spring while MS is completely barren. Makes sense for them to keep incentives high with the lower price.
Isn't January usually a big drop though?

Occam

For giving out wrong information twice.

I think this time was much worse than the resolution thing, because it was so incredibly and totally off base. I see only two possibilities: He was deliberately fed wrong information or he made it up/guessed it. Which makes him an unreliable source. I don't see how he can recover from this unless he offers a very good explanation, which may be impossible without compromising himself (=won't happen).

Hey, drop Kinect and price to $400 (pissing off early adopters and developers), lower your price again $50 and make some bundles, some good games (Sunset Overdrive, AssCreed 4: Black Flag, CoD: AW) and one with a shitty, buggy game (AssCreed: Unity)

THEN

Really guy? Really? Don't be that guy.

Isnt it so crazy to think of what these consoles launched at and the features and price being touted and where we are now?

X1 - $499 | Kinect
PS4 - $399

12 months later

X1 - $329
PS4 - $399

For all the extra baggage MS had to throw off their ship to make it buoyant its amazing what they were able to do in 12 months.

Isn't January usually a big drop though?

It is but if MS continues to make up ground I have a feeling that won't change.

This entire thread is everyone having the same response to cboat's post. Lets talk about something else, please.

Dragon Age bombing isn't so hot, but I see it being a longterm seller with the great word of mouth it is getting (even though I do not like it very much), and the fact that it is early in the generation.

Nintendo had a great month. If it turns out that Nintendo really did get $1 billion in revenue from Amiibos, then goddamn, they be makin' bank even with a flopping Wii U.

Klart

The information isn't wrong, it was just presented in a misleading manner.

710k lead by PS4 could be further reduced in December if Microsoft keeps up the super aggressive pricing/bundling.

Sure, but the worldwide lead won't even by reduced by November.

Until I see actual proof then nothing is certain.

Do the math yourself. The source of the Wii U and Xbox One numbers are NPD. The year over year changes for hardware are in the OP. Let us know what you get.

The only confusion arose after the 1.2 million number was announced; attempting to reconcile with cboat's hint, many decimated that it had to be US & UK combined, as it was statistically impossible for both consoles to sell over 1 million. That was clarified, so the only logical conclusion was that cboat was wrong.

Amused

I could see them raising the price january the first, only to announce a permanent price drop in february when PS4 exclusives start to drop.

Of course, they could just keep going at this price as well.

Interesting months ahead.

As for Sony PR, i think that will drop when they hit 15 million sold through.

Isnt it so crazy to think of what these consoles launched at and the features and price being touted and where we are now?

X1 - $499 | Kinect
PS4 - $399

12 months later

X1 - $329
PS4 - $399

For all the extra baggage MS had to throw off their ship to make it buoyant its amazing what they were able to do in 12 months.

It is but if MS continues to make up ground I have a feeling that won't change.

Not even including the added value of the bundled games and gift cards that almost all black Friday sales had, it is quite amazing.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
At people wondering how come we didnt get a good PR statement, i would say they are waiting till end of December. Thats when the holiday sale for them end. We will probably get something combine.

THEN

Tasty salt :p let it flow let it flow

Beefy

X1 - $499 | Kinect
PS4 - $399

12 months later

X1 - $329
PS4 - $399

Now we have to wait and see if the huge price drop etc will hurt them in the long term.

JaggedSac

I can see the general public going bonkers for The Order and Bloodwake(I had a complete and utter brain fart and cant remember that games name).

robo

didn't DA:eek:rigins start off quite slow then pick up later, after a couple of months. I know I didn't get it at launch and only picked it when passing it in the isle.

DarkCloud

I don't believe he has a agenda, I just think MS know who he is so feed him crap info to make him look bad.

If MS truly knew who he was he wouldn't be posting anything cause he'd be in custody. Leaking corporate details/secrets is kind of a big deal to large corporations.

Occam

X1 - $499 | Kinect
PS4 - $399

12 months later

X1 - $329
PS4 - $399

You are assuming they aren't selling Xbone at a loss now, especially when factoring in the bundled games?

Top Bottom