• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2010 [Update 6: Rock Band 3]

jcm

Sipowicz said:
it looks like software is on the decline across the board. i feel sorry for anyone developing new ip's from here on out

japan will be ok because of the 3DS. western publishers will be fucked given the shit they're bringing out for the platform

It's not declining across the board. PS3 and 360 both saw healthy increases. The Wii is really dragging the overall numbers down. If it had flat software sales the industry would be way up. From jvm's article:

Uzn5P.png

FrankT

Kuroyume said:
Didn't Dead Rising 2 come out last month?

I hope we get something from this. I hope it didn't totally bomb. It was on the tail end of Sept so you would think it did something in October. +1 for me in Nov though.

ven56s.png

Anyhow stark contrast in what the Wii has done this year with SW compared to last and I say $500 million between it and the 360 that the 360 has secured the unit lead as well. I'm thinking 360 is getting close to 200 million units sold LTD.

Jomjom

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Anyone want to take a stab at the massive sales discrepancy between CV PS3 and CV 360?

I'd guess that this is basically the result of Konami/MGS fans buying PS3s for MGS4, and the game's promotional campaign emphasizing Kojima's role in CV. Anyone disagree?

Anecdotally, my friends who own PS3s are the type who buy Japanese games, while my friends who own 360s tend to buy Western games. I don't know how widespread this is, but that's how it is with my friends.

P.S. I know CV was developed by a western developer, but the history of CV is Japanese and it is published by Konami.

woodypop

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I've felt this way for quite some time. There are new games that I would buy and play but cannot because they are putting so many out and have been doing that so long that I have a backlog to last me the rest of my natural life.
jling84 said:
Fixed to apply to me and probably most of GAF.
So true.

Sipowicz

Banned
jcm said:
It's not declining across the board.

yeah, your halo's, call of duty's and your big name sports games will sell. better than ever in fact. even the wii can sell dance games and mario games.

but what else?

this month rock band, enslaved, ea mma, vanquish, castlevania bombed. before that there was mafia 2, guitar hero, kane and lynch etc

times have changed

Owzers

Sipowicz said:
yeah, your halo's, call of duty's and your big name sports games will sell. better than ever in fact. even the wii can sell dance games and mario games.

but what else?

this month rock band, enslaved, ea mma, vanquish, castlevania bombed. before that there was mafia 2, guitar hero, kane and lynch etc

times have changed

New Vegas, Medal of Honor, Fable 3. Castlevania didn't bomb, it sold more than Wii Party and Kirby just on the PS3 sku. Times haven't really changed, there have always been good niche games that gaf loves that bomb.

And some of those games DESERVED to bomb. Even Medal of Honor deserved to bomb but didn't from the love of dude-bro shooters and a strong marketing campaign. Why should EA's MMA game sell? The game got okay reviews and there were already two GOOD UFC games released prior to it.

Owzers

ShockingAlberto said:
Whoa

This is a hilarious zero-sum wherein we ignore budgets.

It was going on the assumption of probably false information that Castlevania's budget wasn't as high as what it would normally be. But yeah i read it on gaf so it is probably false but i didn't feel like checking sources. STILL i'd hardly call ~200k sales across both platforms to be a "bomb" but then again people just love to use the word bomba and who am i to get in the way of fun?

A better example would be:

" Things could be worse, at least it outsold Alan Wake and didn't take 5 years to develop"

jcm

Sipowicz said:

but what else?

times have changed

Some games sell, some games don't. The fact is the PS3 and 360 are growing for both hardware and software.

boiled goose

good with gravy
i honestly third parties have really messed up this gen.

They did not create a strong ecosystem for their games on wii and they oversaturated other markets with the same types of games. (and high budget ones no less)

They probably have a much effective userbase to sell their games to this gen.

Obviously the Wii-ps360 discrepancy in both power and appeal didnt help...
it is interesting though how the 360 helped keep the ps3 alive during the wii rise. Ps3 rode on 360's back and got a lot of solid games with a very small and slowly growing userbase in order to spread the costs of HD development. After the wii took first place, the combined ps360 userbase partly kept the wii from becoming the viable platform for big games. In essence, the ps3 paid back the favor.

now that things have settled and the trends for the rest of the gen have been pretty much established it is amazing to see how crazy this gen was. (and now we can also see the weird problems it created for a lot of devs) The lost planet 2 dont selll, but neither do the Wii party's. Everyone except the CODs and Marios of the world are kinda screwed.

amtentori said:
The lost planet 2 dont selll, but neither do the Wii party's. Everyone except the CODs and Marios of the world are kinda screwed.
But that's the thing. Everyone else isn't screwed. Niche low budget titles can still make money as long as they find their audience.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Sipowicz said:

but what else?

times have changed

Whatever. Shitty games, tired genres and unadvertised games don't sell... news at 11.

Halo, CoD, Fable 3, Fallout NV, Mario Galaxy, Starcraft 2, Red Dead Redemption, etc have all sold pretty well. Sequels sell. Great games with a big ad budget sell. The industry seems the same as it ever was.

Sipowicz

Banned
jcm said:
Some games sell, some games don't. The fact is the PS3 and 360 are growing for both hardware and software.

and except to see more of that type of software in the future. That's assuming publishers are looking to make money, which they're arguably not

dolemite

charsace said:
Does anyone else think that Caslevania would have done better if it had a modern setting?
It would also help if the main character was wielding a shotgun, was bald, and had tattooes on his biceps. A loyal bro for some coop fun would help too.
Castlevania: Call of Dracula

Owzers

ZombieSupaStar said:
wow smackdown bombed only 225k across all platforms?

the honeymoon is over! /gorillamonsoon

They should be thrilled they can still sell 225k copies of an average annual wrestling game. Thrilled.

sillymonkey321 said:
They should be thrilled they can still sell 225k copies of an average annual wrestling game. Thrilled.

yeah but im wondering if dev across PS3, 360, PS2, WII, PSP with 500k (long term?) sales covers costs, I hope it doesnt! :lol

Mael

sillymonkey321 said:
It was going on the assumption of probably false information that Castlevania's budget wasn't as high as what it would normally be.

And that's why you expect its budget to be lower than Wii Party or Kirby? o_O

Zoe

How did Castlevania do in Europe?

I'm shocked it still won't be released in Japan for another few weeks.

giggas

charsace said:
Does anyone else think that Caslevania would have done better if it had a modern setting?

Don't read unless you finished Lords of Shadow

I guess we'll find out with Lords of Shadow 2.

Mael

sillymonkey321 said:
I never said the budget was lower than Wii Party or Kirby xO

sillymonkey321 said:
Castlevania didn't bomb, it sold more than Wii Party and Kirby just on the PS3 sku.

I mean you're comparing it to an ever green to be and Kirby.
For it to even mean something you've got to assume the budgets are in the same ballpark or its meaningless.
I mean I'm not sure some big budget AAA dev would be thrilled to do just a bit better than Minecraft during the release month :/

Vinci

Danish
Mael said:
For it to even mean something you've got to assume the budgets are in the same ballpark or its meaningless.
I mean I'm not sure some big budget AAA dev would be thrilled to do just a bit better than Minecraft during the release month :/

I still feel Wii Party is not going to be anywhere near an evergreen title, but hey, we'll see I guess.

Mael

Vinci said:
I still feel Wii Party is not going to be anywhere near an evergreen title, but hey, we'll see I guess.

I think that they want it to be but will ultimately fail,
they're trying to pass it off as the next Wiiplay but since they're phasing the classic remote :/

Owzers

Mael said:

It might be the difference between being unhappy and closing the studio down though. I have a hard time calling a game a "bomb" when it starts off at 200k especially next to other similarly budgeted games ( possibly) like Enslaved and Vanquish that sell a fraction of that. Of course sales expectations come into play but then you also have to balance false expectations vs. realistic expectations. Activision saying they want Blur to be the call of duty of racing games or Capcom wanting Lost Planet 2 to sell 4 or so million copies, and the fact that these publishers are so freaking stupid that they are constantly over producing games and dumping them all in the same month, meh /rage.

Mael

sillymonkey321 said:
It might be the difference between being unhappy and closing the studio down though. I have a hard time calling a game a "bomb" when it starts off at 200k especially next to other similarly budgeted games ( possibly) like Enslaved and Vanquish that sell a fraction of that. Of course sales expectations come into play but then you also have to balance false expectations vs. realistic expectations. Activision saying they want Blur to be the call of duty of racing games or Capcom wanting Lost Planet 2 to sell 4 or so million copies, and the fact that these publishers are so freaking stupid that they are constantly over producing games and dumping them all in the same month, meh /rage.

Don't make any mistake, nothing would please me more than Castlevania doing great, actually I have no idea how it performed.
Still I was just calling you out on the comparison with 2 way lower budgets Wii games.
And in the end it's the free market out there, if they can't provide goods to satisfy people they get the cut, it sucks but that's how it is.
Luckily though they won't get cut and can learn from their mistakes.

Vinci

Danish
BishopLamont said:
It'll be a mini ever green title, sells well enough, but it won't carry the system for too long.

How about this? I'll agree that it might sell similar to an evergreen title, though not near to the big dogs that have appeared this gen, but that it won't do the slightest thing to actually help get the Wii hardware into more people's hands? How about that?

Vinci said:
How about this? I'll agree that it might sell similar to an evergreen title, though not near to the big dogs that have appeared this gen, but that it won't do the slightest thing to actually help get the Wii hardware into more people's hands? How about that?
That's a more accurate way of conveying my own thoughts. I agree.

Curufinwe said:
Sounds reasonable. I can't believe that the slight technical superiority of the PS3 version made much of a difference.

I don't see why not. Every online review and thread said the PS3 version was the one to get. It had a better framerate and came on one disc. I switched my order over the PS3 version based on all these reviews. And before someone says "the average consumer doesn't read about these comparisons or care", let me say this: The average consumer aren't the ones buying games like CV. The purchasers are well-informed and connected fans.

jling84 said:
Anecdotally, my friends who own PS3s are the type who buy Japanese games, while my friends who own 360s tend to buy Western games. I don't know how widespread this is, but that's how it is with my friends.

P.S. I know CV was developed by a western developer, but the history of CV is Japanese and it is published by Konami.

And yet games like Bayonetta sold more on 360. Why? Because it was widely reported that it was the better version.

I don't know why people don't want to believe this, but many of the people that buy these types of "hardcore" games hang out online and know exactly which version is the one to get. Furthermore, many of them own both consoles, enough so that while it doesn't make a huge difference, it's enough to put one or the other on top.

Zoe

Dr. Zoidberg said:
And yet games like Bayonetta sold more on 360. Why? Because it was widely reported that it was the better version.

I don't know why people don't want to believe this, but many of the people that buy these types of "hardcore" games hang out online and know exactly which version is the one to get. Furthermore, many of them own both consoles, enough so that while it doesn't make a huge difference, it's enough to put one or the other on top.

There was no where near the amount of flak that Bayonetta PS3 received though.

When the differences are much more negligible as with Casltevania, there are people who would still go the 360 version for reasons such as being achievement whores or having man-hands.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Kittonwy said:
Will Capcom wise up after seeing how Enslaved sold?
Indifferent2.gif

the problem for Capcom is not the sale numbers , it's the bad fighting systems and game play in all of Ninja Theory games.

ShockingAlberto said:
If DmC fails, I wonder who will give Ninja Theory their next big contract.

One would assume no one, but I'm going to say Konami.

it's not like Ninja Theory track record ( sales/quality) was any good when Namco and Capcom hired them , they also don't keep good relationships with all of their old publishers ,and for some unknown (magical?) reasons big publishers keep hiring them.

poppabk

Dr. Zoidberg said:

Or alternatively it could be because Bayonetta was reported to be a crap port on PS3, and so PS3 owners didn't buy it.

Brashnir

Zoe said:
But Castlevania 360 wasn't reported to be a crap port like Bayonetta PS3 was.

It was still reported to be a lesser version. The difference between "lesser version," and "crap port" is the realm of fucktarded fanboys and not reasonable people. If I want a game, I'm going to get the better version, whether one is a "crap port" or just slightly lesser for whatever reason.

Jomjom

Banned
Dr. Zoidberg said:

I think that was a more different case, as Bayonetta was near unplayable until they patched it. After that it was still a far cry from the 360 version. Many of my friends who prefer the PS3 over the 360 opted to simply not buy the game at all.

I mean honestly there isn't a perception amongst your friends that the PS3 is the system for Japanese-style games, while the 360 is for American games? I'm not saying at all the perception is at all correct (360 has cave shooters, idolm@ster, etc. & ps3 has resistance, infamous, etc). I'm just saying the perception is there and therefore people who are more inclined to buy Japanese games tend to make PS3 their main console, while people more inclined to buy Western games tend to make the 360 their main console.

Zertez

Zoe said:
But Castlevania 360 wasn't reported to be a crap port like Bayonetta PS3 was.
Castlevania 360 wasnt a crap port, but the PS3 version was still better. I picked the LoS up for the PS3 for that reason. I would have bought the 360 port, if it was better.

Zoe

Brashnir said:
It was still reported to be a lesser version. The difference between "lesser version," and "crap port" is the realm of fucktarded fanboys and not reasonable people. If I want a game, I'm going to get the better version, whether one is a "crap port" or just slightly lesser for whatever reason.
But on the other side, there are many people willing to make concessions for their preferred console.

Zoe said:
When the differences are much more negligible as with Casltevania, there are people who would still go the 360 version for reasons such as being achievement whores or having man-hands.

I would agree except I don't think that disc-swapping is a negligible difference. The framerate difference is one thing, and it was even evident if you played both demos, but when I found out that installing the discs did not prevent the need to swap when backtracking, it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Add in the fact that many gamers prefer the PS3's pad for games of this type (although not me) and I think there is a clear platform choice unless you are an achievement whore. The X360 version is perfectly fine, but if you can pick either one, why wouldn't you pick the best one?

Now I am sure that there are some people who want "everything Japanese" and want to play their JP-style games on the JP console, but based off of past evidence and games I think this portion of the audience is smaller than those that just want the best version. Obviously this can't be proven so we'll never know for sure.

EDIT - I think the lack of compelling new exclusives on PS3 that month helped many of the 3rd party games sell better there as well.

poppabk

Brashnir said:
Isn't that exactly what he just said?
Well he was implying that dual console owners were the deciding factor - that a significant portion of the audience were deciding which version to get - rather than the discrepancy being down to PS3 only owners just deciding to not get the game at all.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Zoe said:
How did Castlevania do in Europe?

I'm shocked it still won't be released in Japan for another few weeks.
Poorly. It had a 20k launch in the UK, which is almost exactly the same as Enslaved had there.

As a barometer, New Vegas and Fable opened at around 150k there and Medal of Honor at 190k.

This genre by far does the best in the U.S.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Zertez said:
Castlevania 360 wasnt a crap port, but the PS3 version was still better. I picked the LoS up for the PS3 for that reason. I would have bought the 360 port, if it was better.
The Castlevania ports were equally crap, performance-wise.

Top Bottom