• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2010 [Update 6: Rock Band 3]

onipex

amtentori said:
i honestly third parties have really messed up this gen.

They did not create a strong ecosystem for their games on wii and they oversaturated other markets with the same types of games. (and high budget ones no less)

They probably have a much effective userbase to sell their games to this gen.

Obviously the Wii-ps360 discrepancy in both power and appeal didnt help...
it is interesting though how the 360 helped keep the ps3 alive during the wii rise. Ps3 rode on 360's back and got a lot of solid games with a very small and slowly growing userbase in order to spread the costs of HD development. After the wii took first place, the combined ps360 userbase partly kept the wii from becoming the viable platform for big games. In essence, the ps3 paid back the favor.

now that things have settled and the trends for the rest of the gen have been pretty much established it is amazing to see how crazy this gen was. (and now we can also see the weird problems it created for a lot of devs) The lost planet 2 dont selll, but neither do the Wii party's. Everyone except the CODs and Marios of the world are kinda screwed.

Developers screwed themselves. It was very clear where the money was this gen. As Nintendo falls the industry will fall this gen. Imagine if the top third party software was put on the GC and xbox last gen and all the ps2 got was mostly late ports or none at all.

I have to admit that I do enjoy seeing how this plays out. I think next year will be very interesting.

For all of 2008 we estimated that Nintendo's platforms generated over half of the industry's revenue. The company itself went on to claim that 99% of the American videogame market growth in 2008 was due to Nintendo platforms.

Consider Nintendo's flat software unit sales for the year, the declining average price of software, weaker Wii hardware sales, and the effect of the Wii price cut. Together these factors suggest that a significant part of the decline of the market in 2009 could well be due to just Nintendo's shortfalls.

We clearly can't put all the market's present difficulties should be laid at the feet on Nintendo, but when one company accounts for half of the revenue in an industry for a whole year, that company's fortunes the next year will likely determine much of the direction of the market.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4214/npd_behind_the_numbers_november_.php?page=3

industry-revenue-by-stakeholder-2007-2009.png

estimated-annual-sw-units-big-three.png

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4247/npd_behind_the_numbers_december_.php?page=2

onipex said:
As Nintendo falls the industry will fall this gen.

I don't think so, as much as they may deserve it (and Nintendo deserves their fair share of the blame as well). It looks like 3rd parties are finally getting what they wanted and expected, although it took much longer than they thought it would. They thought if they (mostly) ignored the Wii, it would go away. Now it seems that's finally starting to happen, and the other two consoles are playing the role of the as-yet-nonexistant next gen to some degree, picking up customers that are moving on from Wii. But publishers probably thought it would take a year or two to starve out the Wii, not four going on five.

It will be interesting, though, for sure. The market right now is certainly not the paradise that the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube offered.

wazoo

Vinci said:
I still feel Wii Party is not going to be anywhere near an evergreen title, but hey, we'll see I guess.

Pre-christmas, it is somewhere between 2 and 3M worldwide. 3M would make a Wii music, 5M would make a Animal Crossing.

Leondexter said:
I don't think so, as much as they may deserve it (and Nintendo deserves their fair share of the blame as well). It looks like 3rd parties are finally getting what they wanted and expected, although it took much longer than they thought it would. They thought if they (mostly) ignored the Wii, it would go away. Now it seems that's finally starting to happen, and the other two consoles are playing the role of the as-yet-nonexistant next gen to some degree, picking up customers that are moving on from Wii. But publishers probably thought it would take a year or two to starve out the Wii, not four going on five.

It will be interesting, though, for sure. The market right now is certainly not the paradise that the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube offered.

yes people who bought wii to play wii sports will play play Gears of War 3 this next year or COD or whatever is hot on the ps360.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Starchasing said:
yes people who bought wii to play wii sports will play play Gears of War 3 this next year or COD or whatever is hot on the ps360.
Because every single person who bought a Wii did it to play Wii Sports, and the relative success found by more traditional games on the Wii in the first few years that ended up waning more and more for similar games coming out afterwards is just a coincidence.

Starchasing said:

Though you phrased as infantile as you did, maybe so. People who had a PS2 to play whatever caught their interest bought a Wii to play whatever caught their interest. Yes, probably Wii Sports. Maybe they go for Kinect (oh please God no), or maybe they do want to play the immensely popular Call of Duty, or go back to Madden that they played in their PS2 days. Or any other game or genre that's poorly represented or absent from the Wii.

People often just follow the crowd. And right now there's some momentum away from the Wii and toward the other two systems.

onipex

Leondexter said:

I meant fall as in revenues will continue to fall. The PS3 360 hardware sales will did not pick up enough to make up for the Wii drop. I don't think a ton of Wii owners are going out and buying HD consoles because their sales should be much higher if that was the case.

If Move does not give PS3 a boast then it may keep trending down. The 360 has been slow to peak ,but if it peaks this year then it too will start trending down. So far the software for both move and Kinect does not seem to be exploding. The Wii will continue its sales trend and with less games being made for it year after year that money will just be lost.

Third parties are getting what they wanted in a bad way. They (with their crappy support) help Nintendo ( with their poor planning) kill a market that was generating much of the revenue this gen. Third parties now get to focus on HD AAA games and if one or two bomb they close their doors.

Top Bottom