• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2010 [Update 6: Rock Band 3]

JohngPR

szaromir said:
Wow, Reach has surprisingly weak legs. edit: nvm, I thought it;s out of top 10 altogether, Pretty decent then. Jackson doing wonders for NBA2k11

ClipJam.gif

Sad to see Castlevania not break the top 10. :(

ICallItFutile said:
I just realized that with the 360 now the best selling console year-to-date, Wii must have sold less than 376k in October (not surprising).

360 Jan - Oct: 3,534,089
Wii Jan - Sept: 3,157,900
YES! 360 FTW!

[Nintex]

lawblob said:
Does Nintendo have any major releases for the rest of the year?

I imagine Donkey Kong will sell ok, but not great... Isn't it supposed to be really hard?
Epic Mickey will be big I think but that's third party. There's also FlingSmash(lol) with the Wii Remote+ and like you said Donkey Kong.

GarthVaderUK said:
In terms of hardware sales, the best-selling console in October was, as it often is, the Nintendo DS. The Xbox 360 was the only console to realize a sales performance when compared to October of 2009.

October 2009 Sales:

* Wii - 506,900
* Xbox 360 - 249,700
* PS3 - 320,600
* NDS - 457,600
* PSP - 174,600
* PS2 - 117,800

It's not surprising the 360 is the only console up over last year.

onipex

PhatSaqs said:
360 is gonna slaughter this holiday.

The same was said about the PS3 last year. I do see the 360 having its best holiday though.

Basileus777 said:
October 2009 Sales:

* Wii - 506,900
* Xbox 360 - 249,700
* PS3 - 320,600
* NDS - 457,600
* PSP - 174,600
* PS2 - 117,800

It's not surprising the 360 is the only console up over last year.

Well not when you put it that way.

X26

Banned
this is like how the grinch stole christmas, but instead of the gaffers in gafvillestill being happy even without their fancy numbers and posting gifs and trolling a plenty, they instead mope around dejectedly

Pooya

Lagspike_exe said:
How much does NBA 2k usually do?

If NV was 679k on X360 alone, that's easy over 1.1m in total.
It's above Medal of Honor (EA release some numbers IIRC) and they shipped 5m, it makes sense.

[Nintex] said:
Because they have no New Super Mario Bros. Wii this year.
Yeah this is probably their weakest holiday software line-up since launch. Donkey Kong and Mario All-Stars? Not bad I guess but the lack of a really killer Wii sales driver and the fact that they've already largely saturated the market plus the general malaise that's been setting in over the last year or so PLUS the fact that there is greater price parity between the competing consoles than ever before PLUS ever-increasing HD market awareness making the Wii look visually worse and worse does not augur well for the Wii this holiday.

FrankT

Sony and Nintendo need to just put it on the table at this point. I got to wonder how they felt about the Pachter reveal last month.

user_nat said:
Hmm, if Fallout 360 was the top individual game, that means Fable 3 is down a fair amount on Fable 2.

About 5 days of sales versus 12 for Fable 2 first month. It was number one for Fable 2 in the non-combined SKU NPD. So it maybe tracking relatively about the same at 4 in the combined.

lawblob said:
Does Nintendo have any major releases for the rest of the year?

I imagine Donkey Kong will sell ok, but not great... Isn't it supposed to be really hard?
On the Wii, between Donkey Kong, Goldeneye, Flingsmash (Cheap controller), Wii Party (Cheap controller again), I think they're ok.

farnham

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Epic Mickey will be big I think but that's third party. There's also FlingSmash(lol) with the Wii Remote+ and like you said Donkey Kong.
Fling Smash with Remote to do wii play numbers ?

somehow i doubt it

wasnt wii party bundled with the wiimote as well ?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
user_nat said:
Hmm, if Fallout 360 was the top individual game, that means Fable 3 is down a fair amount on Fable 2.
Indeed. I still haven't picked up my copy. I keep hearing bad things about the game.

Barrage

Damn, Shattered Dimensions was a fucking bomb.

It sold between 175-225K on 4 Platforms last month.

And now it's not even in the Top 10.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
godhandiscen said:
So Halo Reach didn't match the 700k that Halo 3 pulled during it's second month. :(
Halo 3 did 433k in October 2007 (which was #1 for the month). Sold more in November and December.

360 hardware is down from 2007 though, which is interesting I guess.

AppleMIX

Shalashaska said:
Call of Duty: Black Ops would like to have a word with you.

It's going to happen and we all know it. COD may have stronger legs then Rockband but eventually people are going to lose interest. (assuming they keep releasing games annually)

Doodis

dolemite said:
RockBand 3 placed 15th on the all formats chart --> bombaed.
Am cry for Rockband 3. Though, to be honest, I haven't picked up my plastic instruments in over a year now.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
user_nat said:
Halo 3 did 433k in October 2007. Sold more in November and December.
Ohh, thanks man. There is some hope. What were the numbers for Fable 2's debut?

donny2112

jman2050 said:
Of course they do. They have that, Wii Sports Resort, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, etc etc

One of the main reasons Nintendo's "evergreen" titles were "evergreen" is that they are often the in the initial wave of purchases for a new console owner. As the console continued to sell a lot, those games continually showed up on the top of the charts. As the console sold lesser amounts, they dropped down the charts. If hardware sales go way up (as expected), then those games will do well, too.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Dr. Zoidberg said:
I'm a little surprised. The game had decent word-of-mouth online and anecdotally seemed to sell really well at the stores I frequent. Yeah, there wasn't much TV marketing but I figured it was going to be a kind of sleeper hit like Darksiders was. And it was mutliplatform so I thought overall it might sell as well as Fable 3 since that game's marketing was kind of low-key too and the overall online buzz was a kinda negative.

You're over estimating GAF and the like. The Fable series has been pretty popular for your average 360 owner for a while and it did have a TV marketing campaign that was in fairly heavy rotation two weeks prior to release.

Lets not forget that the critical receptionby the gaming press to LOS, while mostly positive was kinda wishy washy. It was a good game, but it didn't feel like Castlevania. Others compared it to a decent knock off of GOW. Compare that to how Darksiders compared favorably as an "adult LOZ" and had similar positive buzz from gaming message boards its not too surprising to see it did a little better. I think Darksiders did have a minor TV ad campaign that ran at the end of January if memory serves.

[Nintex]

Gary Whitta said:
Yeah this is probably their weakest holiday software line-up since launch. Donkey Kong and Mario All-Stars? Not bad I guess but the lack of a really killer Wii sales driver and the fact that they've already largely saturated the market plus the general malaise that's been setting in over the last year or so PLUS the fact that there is greater price parity between the competing consoles than ever before PLUS ever-increasing HD market awareness making the Wii look visually worse and worse does not augur well for the Wii this holiday.
Nintendo could've used WiiRelax that's for sure. However, sometimes I feel we care more about this stuff then they do. After all they're swimming in Pokemon money right now. They're probably more worried about the exchange rate.

jman2050

donny2112 said:
One of the main reasons Nintendo's "evergreen" titles were "evergreen" is that they are often the in the initial wave of purchases for a new console owner. As the console continued to sell a lot, those games continually showed up on the top of the charts. As the console sold lesser amounts, they dropped down the charts. If hardware sales go way up (as expected), then those games will do well, too.

That was my point? Or are you saying those titles won't necessarily spur new hardware purchases?

AlphaTwo00 said:
The logo at the startup screen says you're wrong? :lol

I don't particularly care, I just remember hearing that 5th Cell wasn't doing another Scribblenauts game. If I'm wrong, *shrugs*

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
We should get back at NPD by doing all our video game shopping at retail stores they don't track. and then change to a different store every month.

Pooya

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...try_Dips_4_Percent_On_Slow_Hardware_Sales.php
The industry as a whole saw $1.07 billion in new hardware, software and accessory sales for the month, down from $1.11 billion in October 2009. For the year as a whole, the industry has generated $11.07 billion in new sales, roughly $900 million, or eight percent, behind the pace set by 2009.

Hardware

A severe 26 percent drop in year-over-year revenue from new hardware sales drove the overall decline in the October report. Sales of home and portable consoles brought in just $280 million in October2010, compared to $381 million for the same month last year.
While NPD no longer breaks down hardware sales for specific systems, the group did reveal that the Nintendo DS was the month's best selling system.

NPD confirmed that this number makes the Xbox 360 the best-selling home system so far in 2010, while the Nintendo DS remains the best-selling system for the year overall.

Software

Sales of new, boxed software were up six percent year-over-year in October, representing $605 million in revenue in 2010. The increase wasn't enough to help 2010 software sales on an annual basis, however, which currently sit at $5.54 billion and still trail those at the same point in 2009 by seven percent.

Sales of online-enabled games seem to be driving the industry for the month. "Interestingly, unit sales of online playable console games were up 16 percent while sales of those that are not online playable were down 2 percent versus last October," NPD analyst Anita Frazier noted.

Xbox's Larry Hryb majornelson

Following up: Xbox 360 was the best selling console in Oct (Source: NPD)

farnham said:
Fling Smash with Remote to do wii play numbers ?

somehow i doubt it

wasnt wii party bundled with the wiimote as well ?
I highly doubt it too, but if there were any remaining new Wii owners that need wiimotes, those are the games that will make the dent. Flingsmash is $5 more than the regular WiiMotion+.

The question is whether there are many new Wii owners in the coming months, and how likely are the Wii population likely to buy games for the system (previous year says A LOT, but this year have almost suggested that the sales have fallen off dramatically as if some sort of economic factor is affecting purchases... :lol )

Penguin

According to Major Nelson, 360 best selling console so Wii and PS3 sub-325k

http://twitter.com/#!/majornelson/status/4687555479994368

Here's the October 2008 NPD for those interested.

1. Fable II (Xbox 360, Microsoft) - 790,000
2. Wii Fit (Wii, Nintendo) - 487,000
3. Fallout 3 (Xbox 360, Bethesda) - 375,000
4. Mario Kart Wii (Wii, Nintendo) - 290,000
5. Wii Play w/ Wii remote (Wii, Nintendo) - 282,000
6. Saints Row 2 (Xbox 360, THQ) - 270,000
7. SOCOM: U.S. Navy Seals Confrontation (PS3, Sony) - 231,000
8. LittleBigPlanet (PS3, Sony) - 215,000
9. NBA 2K9 (Xbox 360, Take-Two) - 202,000
10. Dead Space (Xbox 360) - EA - 193,000

Wii - 803,000
Nintendo DS - 491,000
Xbox 360 - 371,000
PSP - 193,000
PlayStation 3 - 190,000
PlayStation 2 - 136,000

farnham

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Nintendo could've used WiiRelax that's for sure. However, sometimes I feel we care more about this stuff then they do. After all they're swimming in Pokemon money right now. They're probably more worried about the exchange rate.
well nintendo is swimming in money right now

but if they enter the next gen like this they might drop to 3rd place once again. third parties will continue not to support them and it seems unlikely that they can pull off a wii again. and that will definately impact their profits.

Road

Top Bottom