• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2010 [Update 6: Rock Band 3]

truly101 said:
I think Darksiders did have a minor TV ad campaign that ran at the end of January if memory serves.

Didn't CV have SOME TV advertising as well? I could have sworn I saw a few ads on TV for it as well.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
godhandiscen said:
Ohh, thanks man. There is some hope. What were the numbers for Fable 2's debut?
Fable 2 did 790k

Fallout 3 (360) did 375k, so big gain there. PS3 version didn't chart.

dolemite

Road said:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/40223386
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1615862120101117
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...try_Dips_4_Percent_On_Slow_Hardware_Sales.php

Software: $605 million (+6%)
Hardware: $280 million (-26%)
Accessory: $142 million (+18%)
Total: $1.07 billion (-4%)

And confirmation: "Bethesda Softworks’ post-apocalyptic role-playing game “Fallout: New Vegas” took the number two spot overall—selling some 680,000 copies for the Xbox 360 alone."

Edit: half beaten. =P
Move is doing all the work.

EviLore said:
01. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, PS2, PSP, WII, PC) TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
02. Fallout: New Vegas **(360, PS3, PC) BETHESDA SOFTWORKS

New! Fallout: New Vegas Xbox 360 SKU Only - 679k - Top individual SKU

Jesus....

so NBA2k11 did easily over 1 million

:bow: Your Airness :bow:

donny2112

jman2050 said:
Or are you saying those titles won't necessarily spur new hardware purchases?

Yeah, this. If they were going to do it in signficant amounts, the Wii wouldn't be the relative doldrums that it is in. They'll add to the overall picture when deciding to purchase a Wii or not this Fall, definitely, but it'll be the Fall doing the sales increase and not specifically those individual games. Based on typical Nintendo console sales (not just Wii), the Fall should bring a very sizeable increase, though.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
ShockingAlberto said:
No one said they expected Castlevania to sell.

Just that not selling pretty much fucks it.

You'll need to consult the braintrust at Konami. They didn't feel a pressing need to promote the game at all so who knows what expectations they had or what plans they have for it. Hard to believe they'd think it would chart with little to no advertising.

Lunchbox

Banned
i thought they would drop down in october and then outsell both wii and ps3 again in nov-dec. but now that they got october, thats it. game over for the rest of year with cod, halo and kinect pushing holiday sales.

that slim launch window seems like it was preplanned to perfection. slim -> halo -> kinect -> cod and take over for the year

onipex said:
The same was said about the PS3 last year. I do see the 360 having its best holiday though.
It was? The Wii was already back to outselling it in October after the slim launch in September.

jambo

AppleMIX said:
It's going to happen and we all know it. COD may have stronger legs then Rockband but eventually people are going to lose interest. (assuming they keep releasing games annually)
I doubt it will any time soon.

FPS games have been around for 20 years and are a staple of gaming, whereas rhythm games only became popular 5 years ago.

As long as they keep adding just enough new features to each CoD, people will lap it up year after year.

donny2112

truly101 said:
You'll need to consult the braintrust at Konami. They didn't feel a pressing need to promote the game at all so who knows what expectations they had or what plans they have for it.

They did this with Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. Decided it wasn't worth advertising. Maybe it's a pattern? Really tight budgets over there?

farnham

Banned
donny2112 said:
They did this with Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. Decided it wasn't worth advertising. Maybe it's a pattern? Really tight budgets over there?
What is konami doing this gen ?

last gen they were monsters. this gen PES lost to Fifa, Powerpro does not sell as it used to and all their smaller franchises bomb

only MGS seems to do well

Bizzyb

Banned
What's even the point anymore?

NPD group are freaking stupid. This format is useless and boring to us. Either go back to the old way or just drop it altogether.

Sipowicz

Banned
butter_stick said:
Just Dance 2 destroying Rock Band 3 is tragic.

no it isn't, it's good. it's also inevitable, which is why harmonix is copying just dance with their next (and presumably final) product

ryan-ts

So now that the Wii is getting multiple good games every month it starts to sell terribly? The gaming industry is a messed up place.

jkanownik

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Damn, that's one of the last places i would expect a fuck up from :lol

Not when you consider who the news director is. What's even funnier about it is that it explicitly states the publisher next to the rankings.

ThatHurt

i say unban "the chartz"
start treating their numbers like the word of god
ban anyone that points out the changes to the charts after real number come out.
Then watch as news outlets start using them and see if NPD continues to hide these numbers.

theBishop

Banned
Too bad about Kirby Yarn. I wonder if Nintendo is going to realize how insane it is to charge $50 for these 2-d platformers. Both Kirby and DK are totally sweet on their own merits, but the technology and presentation is well below the standards of $15 digitally distributed games.

Guevara

ThatHurt said:
i say unban "the chartz"
ban anyone that points out the changes to the charts after real number come out.
Then watch as news outlets start using them and see if NPD continues to hide these numbers.

Ah yes, the join the darkside strategy.

farnham

Banned
theBishop said:
Too bad about Kirby Yarn. I wonder if Nintendo is going to realize how insane it is to charge $50 for these 2-d platformers. Both Kirby and DK are totally sweet on their own merits, but the technology and presentation is well below the standards of $15 digitally distributed games.
wut :lol :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ThatHurt said:
i say unban "the chartz"

err, no, we don't do cold war american foreign policy here

theBishop said:

THE FUCK?

No. Seriously.

2D = $15?

We live in a fucked up world these days.

Top Bottom