• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nutrition Thread |OT| You Can't Outwork A Shit Diet

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
I haven't really given my diet much thought until I read this thread.

Is the 40/30/30 good for bulking up or should I tweak it to get more protein and fat? Does it even matter? I'm terribly underweight.

You can bulk up on 40/30/30, but if you're going to tweak it just eat more and take in more carbs.

Leeness

Trying to lose weight and going low-ish carbs. Lol.

1200ish calories a day.

Usually 60/25/15, give or take some percentages one way or the other.

Please start working anyway now, diet, thanks.

ILoveBish

Thanks guys, too many to quote lol.

I like the thread, but some selective bolding and section headers would make it easier to read as a guide.

It is a WIP, i will be updating it with section headers and bolding.

Do I have to join a gym to get a good workout or can I just do pushups and run around?

This is a fitness question, head on over to the fitness thread! You do not need a gym membership to get a good workout, but it surely helps.

how can I [easily] introduce healthy foods into my diet?

Like, let's say I make a sandwich at work, are there healthy alternatives to the normal items I'd put in it? (meat, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, etc.)

Other then the bread and likely very processed meat, that sounds fine? I gave up bread months ago and never miss it, but ymmv of course.

I just want to lose stomach fat, straight up. The rest of my body (mostly) is fine. I have pretty skinny arms and legs (my legs are in great shape and I can run like a stallion) but I have a gut and some mild man boobies. I want that shit gone. I've been walking/running about an hour per day in the afternoon but I don't know if that will do the trick or if I'll actually need to diet as well. I'm not that big of an eater anymore though and I usually skip breakfast or at least just have something like oatmeal.

My main downfall is that I love beer. I once went without it for a month and lost over 20 pounds, but it was torturous.

If someone knew how to spot reduce fat on the body, that person would be a billionaire. You just keep cutting till you get the results you want.

I think loosing weight is a mixture of common sense, knowledge and instinct.
I am not saying following a strict programme won't work, but for the average person it's unrealistic and very tedious.
I find eating balanced meals and eating until your body has enough even if your mind is still hungry.
I think people rely to much on science and all these diets rather then listening to there body and using some common sense.

This type of advice usually ends up with the person failing, not getting the results they want, then they get upset and things progress in the wrong direction. I feel it is better to have a understanding and outline of things rather then to do guess work and just think they are having balanced meal. Better to know exactly what you're eating then assume you know. Most people who want to lose fat didn't get there by on purposely bulking.

AWESOME thread - great job man.
I think my favorite part about this thread is that it's real nutrition for most people, not nutrition for weightlifters and bodybuilders.

Thanks, i tried to make it as general as possible, i honestly believe that if someone wants to get in shape, step 1 is fixing their diet and getting a understanding of how and what to eat. Step 2 is whatever else you want to do for the goals you want to achieve.

I haven't really given my diet much thought until I read this thread.

Is the 40/30/30 good for bulking up or should I tweak it to get more protein and fat? Does it even matter? I'm terribly underweight.

40/30/30 is fine for bulking. I personally would do more protein then carbs if i were bulking.

This is a great thread.

Ever since I moved in with the missus two years ago I've put on some weight, I used to weight 9 1/2 stone and now I'm a shade under 10, I've got a little bit of a gut and I'd like to reduce it if possible.

I don't really eat breakfast as such, I might have two or three biscuits before I leave the house for work, lunch on a weekday consists of two sandwiches, a packet of six mini Jaffa Cakes and a Mars Bar that I may or may not eat. Tea can be anything, pulled pork, sausages, fish fingers, steak, burger, pasta and meat balls, corned beef, mash and gravy (so nice), BBQ chicken, southern fried chicken or gammon etc, with mash, rice, chips or waffles and the occasional bit of garlic bread.

In recent weeks I've been thinking about my gut and from the beginning of this week I have requested smaller tea portions, it has been easy so far but I'm dreading this weekend as that's normally when I hit the beer or vodka with vanilla coke with the occasional takeaway but I'm determined to reduce everything, even the beer.

I walk to the bus stop and at work I always end up walking somewhere even if it's a quick walk to the shops at lunch so I'm not completely stationary, I'd like to join a gym but I have Cerebral Palsy and I'm very concious of that, particulary when I'm surrounded by people who may as well have been carved from marble and then there's the whole access thing... I used to be very sporty up until my early twenties and I was a diehard member of a disabled sports club so I'd run round like a loon every Saturday.

I guess my question is, is there anything I can do at home, exercise wise to help reduce my gut? Everything else is fine, my arms are skinny, my legs are fine, it's just my stomach.

Subbed.

If there's anything about dieting, is that there's so much bullshit and incorrect information out there, it can be confusing and off putting. If there's anything I've learned, it's that you're much better off doing things your own way, from the very beginning. Keep it simple and let apps or spreadsheets or whatever do the maths for you.

I've lost nearly 5 stone now in the last few years and I've done all sort of diets, some that worked but most that didn't. I always went back to something that worked by keeping it simple - calorie counting. I let MyfitnessPal do the counting, but it took a few weeks to find out the most important number. The maintanence number. The number of calories I needed to take in, in order to stay the same weight. I always used to guess that because I weight train 4 days a week, plus the calories an average male should have is apparently 2500, I was eating nearly 3000 calories just to maintain. Like fuck, it didn't work and I put on. I also used various calculators incuded the one in the OP and that was way out too. So I took the time to figure it out by weighing myself once a week and recording the amount I was eating. It worked out to be much lower at 2100 a day and then the extra calories on top on workout days.

I'm currently taking in 1800 with a split of 40/40/20 + the extra on workout days and I'm losing a nice and steady 2 to 3lbs a week. I am losing strength slowly though with it, so I've changed my workout from 5/3/1 until I start bulking for the first time ever, next month. I'll start 5x5 then to get back into it.

As for people asking about losing their belly fat, for me it's literally the last to go. Even my already skinny wrists go thinner before my lower back and belly fat goes. You just have to keep at it. I also dropped the alcohol. I drink maybe once a month now.

EDIT - Sorry for the long blog post!

despire

Great thread. I'm currently doing Eat Stop Eat (or 5/2) which basically means that I fast ~24hrs twice a week. So basically I fast from supper to supper (9pm to 9pm). I end my fast with some cottage cheese, an apple and a piece of crispbread with butter and cheese on top. When I don't fast I eat "normally", counting mah calories. Though I usually fast for 14-16hrs even then (like I've always done).

Main idea here was to lose some weight without having to go on a strict diet during the summer. Though I've basically have been eating a ton of shit every weekend (because it's summer) so I've mainly been maintaining my weight. Maybe when autumn comes and my eating schedule gets back to normal again I'll lose some fat...

This site was linked to the Fitness thread some days ago. Haven't used it myself yet but I believe many said it was a good website:

http://www.eatthismuch.com/

Maybe add to the OP?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I've had really good luck going for smaller breakfasts and trying to sleep more. I usually only sleep 4 hours a night (I've been that way my whole life) and I find being awake 20 hours a day leads to bad nutrition since there's just SO much of the day to allow temptation.

So, whereas I might have had a cup or 1.5 cups of Oats and some fruit before, now I'll have 3/4 cup and THEN once I stow my shit at work I'll go workout and have what I call breakfast part 2 a few hours later.

It's like what was said earlier, you can run into issues if you front-load your day with calories and are miserable the rest of the day or tempted to eat more.

Recently I've picked up the habit of chewing Sugar-Free gum throughout my day to satisfy the "Oral fixation" part of it all. I find many times when I'd normally snack I'm just wanting to chew something.

mephel

Other then the bread and likely very processed meat, that sounds fine? I gave up bread months ago and never miss it, but ymmv of course.

What do you use for quick snacks instead of bread?

dralla

What do you use for quick snacks instead of bread?

As someone who doesn't eat bread, I'll snack on fruit and veggies mostly. I try and buy what's in season. Lately it's been cherries, peaches, and grapes. Always keep apples on hand too, and baby carrots. Nuts and nut butters. (I keep a jar of peanut butter and some bananas at my desk at work). I go through a bar of extra dark chocolate once a week too. Plain Greek yogurt, full fat preferably. Cheese! And of course I'll mix and match all this stuff. Ripe bananas in Greek yogurt is delish

Go_Ly_Dow

Getting a minor addiction to black peppercorn smoked mackrel.

In 4 days had 4 servings and feel like going and buying another 4 fillets :/

Doesn't help that its ready cooked, inexpensive and delicious.

RayMaker

Banned
This type of advice usually ends up with the person failing, not getting the results they want, then they get upset and things progress in the wrong direction. I feel it is better to have a understanding and outline of things rather then to do guess work and just think they are having balanced meal. Better to know exactly what you're eating then assume you know. Most people who want to lose fat didn't get there by on purposely bulking.

I may take it for granted that because I got a better then average knowledge on nutrtion that I can eat this way and it works. So someone whos new to dieting and nutrition may need a more regimented method.

On the contrary though I have seen people fail using calorie counting and succeed with a far more basic approach.

Fat loss is using more calories then you consume (though there have been studys that have shown certain types of calories(sugars)to have a drug like effect on the body)

So if one can figure out how to eat without overeating and eat a balanced diet doing that can bring great results

For example

take a person who whats to loose fat

this is there current diet

breakfast
2rashers of bacon, 2 sauages, 2 eggs, 2 slices of butterd white toast and a large coffee

lunch
cheese and ham baggette with a pack of crisps,jam donut and a sprite

snack:crisps and jellybabies

dinner:fried chicken with buttered mash potatoes, coldslaw, and a choclate mouse for dessert

night time movie snack: choc cookie and full milk

Now if that person was to then eat balnced meals without overeating

E,g

breakfast - 2 slices of eziekal/burgan bread toast, 3 scrambled eggs made with low fat cheese, 1 pint of water and some fruit

lunch - pasta with chicken and Pomodoro sauce and some blueberries for dessert

snack - mixed nuts and rasins

Dinner - salmon, sweet potato and a salad

night -snack - 1slice of bugen/ezekial toast with a organic peanut butter with no sugar and a glass of semi skimmed milk

Now with the 2nd meal plan all they have done is eat more balanced meals/snacks and controlled there portion size (e.g not eat masses of pasta for lunch or loads of rasins as there snack) and by doing that they have reduced calories, eating more balanced and will loose weight without having to worry about calorie counting.

I find it hard to go without snacking on something every hour or so. Its usually a piece of fruit (I eat one banana and apple a day), nuts, some kind of bar (kind bars, trader joe's fiber bars or a clif bar), greek yogurt with crushed almonds and pepitas..etc. I think I way overdue it with the constant eating even if my snacks are relatively healthy as I don't eat candy bars, drink soda or eat potato chips..etc. I dunno..I just like to eat!

I used to buy a bag of carrot sticks but they are always off somehow taste and texture wise. Probably a lot better to just buy fresh whole carrots and chop them up myself. Definitely subscribing to this thread for snack suggestions and stuff. Going low carb is kinda hard so I'm not sure I can do that like some here.

Irobot82

Getting a minor addiction to black peppercorn smoked mackrel.

In 4 days had 4 servings and feel like going and buying another 4 fillets :/

Doesn't help that its ready cooked, inexpensive and delicious.

Where do I find this!!!!

Also. Congratulations to everyone who has decided to change their lives and to those who have changed their lives. I am very proud of all of you, pat yourselves on the back, you deserve it.

JB1981

I don't eat terribly but I do eat too many carbs (rice, tostitos) and drink way too much wine. I think the wine has really contributed to my gut the most.

Generally in the morning I will have 2 hard boiled eggs, a cup of mixed fruit and some granolda. In the afternoon I will try to have a chicken wrap from muscle marker or a grilled chicken meal with rice and veggies. Nighttime I try to eat pretty good as well .. usually chicken. I am the heaviest I have ever been in my life and I think it has a lot to do with the red wine and lack of exercise. I think if I make some minor changes and add some exercise I can start to lose it but I lack the motivation. I'm now 33 and for the first time ever I can safely say that I have a GUT! UGH!

Go_Ly_Dow

Where do I find this!!!!

Also. Congratulations to everyone who has decided to change their lives and to those who have changed their lives. I am very proud of all of you, pat yourselves on the back, you deserve it.

In the UK its available in most supermarkets.

Would think it would be popular everywhere! Check your seafood section in your supermarket.

Thanks for making the thread, OP! I read the fitness thread and this nutrition one will just round it out :) I do IF, introduced by fitgaf, and love it. It has done wonders for me. However, consistency is key and the meals you DO have have to be healthy and enough calories for you. I've been struggling with losing the last 5 lbs for a year so hopefully this thread will help.

Celegus

If anyone has ideas/experience putting on weight as a vegan, I'm all ears. I eat a good bit, but my metabolism is so fast (I've always been stick thin even when I wasn't vegan and ate junk through college) that I can't keep up with it.

I've tried protein shakes and eating about 4000 calories a day with no cardio for a couple months in the spring and didn't change at all. Got really tiring / expensive eating that much so now I'm back to my regular of eating when I'm hungry, which also hasn't changed my weight at all.

Irobot82

In the UK its available in most supermarkets.

Would think it would be popular everywhere! Check your seafood section in your supermarket.

Sometimes I wish I lived in my mothers homeland. Ah well. I'll check Publix or something.

Jokergrin

Question:

Do I lose anything nutritionally if I do not eat any grains in my diet, but I eat everything else very well rounded?

Great thread.

I'd like to add in my small two cents on this. That being when you are new to dieting the really hardcore diets can seem very intimidating. My small advice is to not let the advanced stuff intimidate you into not getting started, making major changes can actually be quite simple sometimes. To start on the right path you don't need a kitchen scale to measure grams of servings, you don't need to have an exact carb / protein / fat breakdown, you don't need to cut all of X out of your diet, you don't need to practice something like IF.

Now I'm not knocking any of those things, they can all be super effective at getting a great diet. But the more important point is that all of those take some pretty serious dedication to do, and if you don't currently have that in you then it's best just to make small, more reasonable changes. I see it as being way better to make small positive gains in health as opposed to going for broke and failing at it if you don't have the follow through. YMMV of course, some folks obviously do really well on big cold turkey changes.

Like for me, I know that I don't want too many carbs, but I don't want to cut them out totally (because I love them) and I also know that I'm a busy guy, and I'm not going to take the time to actually weight and log exactly how many I eat. So what I do is when I eat a + carbs meal is I have a 1/2 cup kitchen scoop and I just scoop my rice up with that onto my plate and I don't go back for more. Same with pasta or other carbs that I often overindulge on.

jts

...hate me...
Just had a very nice snack. So simple and tasty, yet healthy.

1 banana
1 scoop of vanilla whey
1 egg (large)

Blend together.

Make pancakes! (2 small ones)

No picture since the presentation was subpar. Gotta work on my flipping and timing. Added a handful of blueberries for good measure, but it's up to you. A few chips of dark chocolate also won't hurt if you're having a treat.

satori

Trying to lose weight and going low-ish carbs. Lol.

1200ish calories a day.

Usually 60/25/15, give or take some percentages one way or the other.

Please start working anyway now, diet, thanks.

Hey Leeness, with out knowing your weight, height, and physical activity levels. I suspect 1200 calories sounds dangerously low if we are considering your TDEE (The total number of calories you burn in a day). There is a such thing as being too much in a deficit that is actually detrimental to your goals of losing weight.

Just curious, how active are you and what is your current weight and height. And what is your goals? Happen to know your current BF%?

turtle553

I've heard people use If it fits your macros to get targets on carbs, fat, and protein.

Myfitnesspal will track these, but can be hard to make the exact numbers match the targets. You can create a custom recipe in MFP that is just macros (carbs, fat, protein) and even have negative numbers to match daily goals. Just add that custom meal every day and you can have an exact target for remaining macros.

satori

Question:

Do I lose anything nutritionally if I do not eat any grains in my diet, but I eat everything else very well rounded?

I did low-carb for a long stretch. Just increase your fiber. The other food you eat should cover any missing nutrition and macros you would have been missing.

Sifl

Possibly a stupid question:
On days when I'm not meeting my macros for calories and carbs, is it ok to drink a soda to meet them, or should I try reworking my meals for those days to get them from another source?

On days when I'm not meeting my macros for calories and carbs, is it ok to drink a soda to meet them, or should I try reworking my meals for those days to get them from another source?

Try and find your sources elsewhere. From a pure macro standpoint it'll no doubt help, but you can likely hit carb macros from other sources. Like a sweet potato or something.

Edit: Also, nice work, OP. Been maintaining weight for a little bit and increasing strength, but I want to do a hard cut, and then properly bulk over the late fall/winter months. Time to run/bike/swim again...with no threshold for cardio.

Bowser

...I think you know the answer to this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
...I think you know the answer to this.

And that answer has to be that of course it's OK if you believe that meeting specific numbers is ultimately all that matters.

number11

I joined myfitnesspal a few weeks ago.. And it's pretty amazing how easy it is to lose weight if you simply eat less / eat healthier. I know it's obvious, but for some reason I needed stats and numbers to help motivate me to fix my diet.

But I don't think adding processed sugar to meet your carbs requirements is good. Eat a fruit instead of a soda unless you can't control those cravings.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
IIFYM, I guess.

More nutritional ways to get your calories and carbs obviously.

I certainly do not agree with that line of thought in the slightest, but if you follow calories in > calories out, then it kind of has to be true at least in your own mind, doesn't it? I don't know how anyone could follow that theory and live with the idea that there are certain exceptions when the whole premise is that all calories are the same regardless of source.

I've always been of the mindset that it you think of it as changing up your lifestyle for the better and not just a diet you'll be more successful.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've always been of the mindset that it you think of it as changing up your lifestyle for the better and not just a diet you'll be more successful.

Absolutely. You're pretty much doomed to failure at some point down the road if you start out by looking at a diet as a temporary thing to shed some pounds. You might accomplish that goal, but it will obviously come right back (and then some) if you revert to old bad habits.

Sifl

I know it's not a good idea to get more calories and carbs from soda, it's just this is the first time I'm actually counting to lose weight, the other times I just ate less and ate low carb. I wasn't actually planning on drinking the soda, was just wondering if it was ok because it helped meeting the numbers. Thank you for the suggestion Omegasquash, I'll rework to add sweet potatoes :)

I know it's not a good idea to get more calories and carbs from soda, it's just this is the first time I'm actually counting to lose weight, the other times I just ate less and ate low carb. I wasn't actually planning on drinking the soda, was just wondering if it was ok because it helped meeting the numbers. Thank you for the suggestion Omegasquash, I'll rework to add sweet potatoes :)

try those carbonated water and add some natural flavoring. oh thought this was about soda replacement lol.

Top Bottom