• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nutrition Thread |OT| You Can't Outwork A Shit Diet

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
You'd probably fare really well on a ketogenic diet: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

A lot of at-risk diabetics and diabetic people have found success with this type of diet. I'm currently giving it a go - don't have any diabetes symptoms or problems, just like trying out different diets. Been on ultra-low carb for the past 6 weeks now.

the one caution I will give you guys on ultra-low carb diets is the long term prospect of them. If you can maintain them good luck.. Unfortunately our society and food offerings in general suck for them. also they tend to move heavily towards high saturated fats and high omega-6 fats generally leading to not feeling super healthy, active, etc. In the event you don't/can't maintain that type of diet you will need to look and do research on a diet you can maintain without heading back to old habits/bad nutrition etc. Ketogenic diets have their place but in our society it's a rare person that can actually pull them off for the long term.

I think we are all on the same page in regards to the benefits of omega 3. Since the supplement industry is unregulated and push for keeping it that way, I do not trust them. I eat fish a lot and use oils in my cooking. There is no strict guidelines for omega 3 consumption just suggestions.

agreed. fish oil is the only supplement I take (well besides post-workout protein/recovery) and only because I am in the midwest with horrible access to fresh seafood. for almost all vitamins and minerals you are absolutely much better off just eating a variety of veggies, fruits and meats (free range as much as possible).

edit - my bad.. I also take glucosamine.. but my workout regimen is fairly rough and I AM 39 years old after all... need to keep up my joint and soft tissue health..

Bowser

the one caution I will give you guys on ultra-low carb diets is the long term prospect of them. If you can maintain them good luck.. Unfortunately our society and food offerings in general suck for them. also they tend to move heavily towards high saturated fats and high omega-6 fats generally leading to not feeling super healthy, active, etc. In the event you don't/can't maintain that type of diet you will need to look and do research on a diet you can maintain without heading back to old habits/bad nutrition etc. Ketogenic diets have their place but in our society it's a rare person that can actually pull them off for the long term.

I've been following one for 6 weeks and I generally don't find it that hard. I get my calories from sources like full fat cheese, cream, nuts, seeds, eggs, avocados, meats, peanut butter, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.

I indulge every now and then (not going to pass up a piece of cake at a friend's birthday!), but it really hasn't been that hard. When I go out to eat with friends, I usually just order some type of grilled chicken sandwich/turkey burger, etc. and take off the bun. Add a side salad. It's honestly not THAT tough to cut out grains/carbs.

edit: And you don't need to stay below 30g net carbs forever. It's just recommended for the first 8-10 weeks to get "fat-adapted." After that, you can generally add carbs and assess your tolerance. Generally speaking, you can be in ketosis as long as your carbs are kept under 100g, which allows for just enough carbs to satisfy any bread/grain cravings IMO.

What's a good percentage split for a at risk diabetic(high blood sugar but no diabetes) I need to lose 30 pounds but Idk if 40% carbs would be healthy for someone in my predicament.

I'm 5'7 238 but I want to get down to under 190 eventually.

I'd do a solid calorie restriction and some light exercise. At your height the excess should shed itself after a couple of months. Just focus on eating "clean," by which I mean avoid processed foods, eat fibrous, nutritious veggies (steamed broccoli, kale and spinach are your friends), and avoid sauces/dressings/butter while you do it.

Not sure how much you're currently eating now, but a good way to start is just not to buy what you usually buy. If it's not in the fridge, it's less likely you'll eat it, yeah?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Awesome thread! I'm actually looking to gain some weight/muscle, and from what I've heard, eating is almost 90% of it. I'm looking for some good beginner recipes to help me eat healthier, though. Would rather not dirty bulk on McDonald's and pizza.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=831799&page=1

Come join the party! Use FitGaf and it will use you!

Regarding a low carb diet being hard to maintain over the long run... I've been on a low carb diet for over 5 years. Not sure what is supposed to be hard about it unless you have trouble telling people no.

I'd do a solid calorie restriction and some light exercise. At your height the excess should shed itself after a couple of months. Just focus on eating "clean," by which I mean avoid processed foods, eat fibrous, nutritious veggies (steamed broccoli, kale and spinach are your friends), and avoid sauces/dressings/butter while you do it.

Not sure how much you're currently eating now, but a good way to start is just not to buy what you usually buy. If it's not in the fridge, it's less likely you'll eat it, yeah?

Butter from grass fed cows or ghee is actually very good for your body.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

to maintain a healthy diet? 100% agreed.

to lose weight/fat? eh... you should just limit fat/carb intake in general while shedding fat. even good fats like eggs, grass fed whole fat dairy, nuts, healthy oils/fats, etc. of course they won't put fat back on you (if you're doing it right) but better to slow down your own fat loss as little as possible while doing it.

Awesome thread! I'm actually looking to gain some weight/muscle, and from what I've heard, eating is almost 90% of it. I'm looking for some good beginner recipes to help me eat healthier, though. Would rather not dirty bulk on McDonald's and pizza.

Dirty bulk is the best bulk.

MAN UP.

days i get lazy but when i start something it feels so good. i need to go run more.

It was certainly more satisfactory than waking up and getting on GAF and bitching about movies first thing in the morning. :p

I simply postponed it to later in the day!

Leeness

Hey Leeness, with out knowing your weight, height, and physical activity levels. I suspect 1200 calories sounds dangerously low if we are considering your TDEE (The total number of calories you burn in a day). There is a such thing as being too much in a deficit that is actually detrimental to your goals of losing weight.

Just curious, how active are you and what is your current weight and height. And what is your goals? Happen to know your current BF%?

I'm a tiny little (overweight) woman. :p 1200 is fine.

5'4". Currently 160ish lbs. Desk job. I try to work out 5-6 days a week. I have been trying to lose a bunch of weight before going on a trip in September but I suspect I won't lose enough to be happy enough with myself to take pictures of me on the trip. Sigh. Oh well. But in general, I just don't want to be a fatty.

And I don't want to even entertain BF%. Lmao. I suspect it would make me eat a tub of ice cream and then hang myself.

ILoveBish

I've been doing low carb/keto for about a year and have 0 intention of stopping. It's very easy to maintain long term.

Bowser

to maintain a healthy diet? 100% agreed.

to lose weight/fat? eh... you should just limit fat/carb intake in general while shedding fat. even good fats like eggs, grass fed whole fat dairy, nuts, healthy oils/fats, etc. of course they won't put fat back on you (if you're doing it right) but better to slow down your own fat loss as little as possible while doing it.

I'd disagree. I think it makes sense to limit carbs while trying to lose fat, but you gotta get energy from somewhere. I would much rather cut carbs to <100g a day and fill in the rest with dietary fat. Shooting for enough protein (generically speaking 1-1.5g per lb of bodyweight) still only leaves most people with anywhere from 450-850 calories from protein. If you limit carbs (let's just pick 100g max), that's another 400 calories, so 850-1,250. For me personally, a 15% deficit on my maintenance is about 1,650 calories on off days, 1,850 on lifting days. That means I need to get anywhere from 600-800 calories from fat to fill out the rest of my intake (66-88g of dietary fat - it's actually way more for me since I'm limiting carbs to 30g net).

You should not be afraid of dietary fat. It's better for long-term satiety than carbs any day of the week.

Kodeman

This is a bit of a random question, but does anyone have much experience with wearable heart rate/fitness monitors?

I bought one recently as part of my renewed weight loss resolve, and I don't know if I should trust the numbers it's giving me. Before it's first use I had to put in my height, weight, age, etc., and it uses one of those bands you wear across your chest. It seems to be pretty damn accurate in measuring my heart rate too.

The problem is the number of calories it says I'm burning seems crazy high. For example, my usual workout routine involves a 3.25 - 3.5 mile walk over the course of an hour, followed by about 30 minutes of semi-vigorous weight lifting. For this amount of activity it usually says I'm burning between 1200 to 1600 calories. That seems like a lot to me, but I'm somewhat inclined to believe it because of all the variables it takes into account.

Anyone have any insight on this?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

There doesn't appear to be a lot of evidence in favor of butter from grass fed cows vs. butter from grain-fed ones. There definitely are benefits in terms of the actual flesh of the animal, but it may or may not translate to the milk and products made from that milk.

Obviously the jury is still out, but one study kind of indicates that there isn't much difference when it comes to markers of the metabolic syndrome:

Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23842081
PDF: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3720277/pdf/1476-511X-12-99.pdf

Obviously, that's not to say there couldn't be other health benefits, but it's just not clear at this time. With that said, I still buy brands that come from grass fed cows because I prefer the taste.

What's a good percentage split for a at risk diabetic(high blood sugar but no diabetes) I need to lose 30 pounds but Idk if 40% carbs would be healthy for someone in my predicament.

I'm 5'7 238 but I want to get down to under 190 eventually.

You should obviously try to find a knowledgeable health professional to guide you if you have diabetes or are at high risk, but eliminating carbs will certainly improve your blood sugar situation. There's really no doubt about that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This is a bit of a random question, but does anyone have much experience with wearable heart rate/fitness monitors?

I bought one recently as part of my renewed weight loss resolve, and I don't know if I should trust the numbers it's giving me. Before it's first use I had to put in my height, weight, age, etc., and it uses one of those bands you wear across your chest. It seems to be pretty damn accurate in measuring my heart rate too.

The problem is the number of calories it says I'm burning seems crazy high. For example, my usual workout routine involves a 3.25 - 3.5 mile walk over the course of an hour, followed by about 30 minutes of semi-vigorous weight lifting. For this amount of activity it usually says I'm burning between 1200 to 1600 calories. That seems like a lot to me, but I'm somewhat inclined to believe it because of all the variables it takes into account.

Probably adding your maintenance calories to it, but that still sounds kinda high.

I've bought a nutribullet and I've started making smoothies with kale, spinach, berries, oranges, apples, bananas, mango, etc. The nutribullet is awesome I have to say. Works much better than I thought it would.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For this amount of activity it usually says I'm burning between 1200 to 1600 calories. That seems like a lot to me, but I'm somewhat inclined to believe it because of all the variables it takes into account.

Calorie burning counters are full of shit, or at beast wildly inaccurate guesstimates.

You need very specialized equipment or facilities to accurately gauge the amount of calories you are burning. It also can be wildly different depending on the type of exercise and which source you are using to oxidize for ATP. Glucose can be oxidized much more quickly for energy than fat can, but it's also much less efficient gram for gram. You can get much more ATP from a fat source, but it requires a longer oxidization process.

Using a calorie counter may help you figure out how long you have been doing a certain exercise at a specific intensity, but you absolutely should not trust it's numerical value. Nor should you ever make the assumption that because you "burned" 400 calories you should be safe eating a piece of food that can produce 200 calories when burned in a calorimeter.

It's all very rough estimates, but some people find this kind of meticulous tracking of even inaccurate data useful just to have some kind of reference points.

I've bought a nutribullet and I've started making smoothies with kale, spinach, berries, oranges, apples, bananas, mango, etc. The nutribullet is awesome I have to say. Works much better than I thought it would.
Meant to buy one. I'll wait for HSN/qvc to have it. They throw all kinds of shit in there sometimes to make it worth the regular price lol

Sadetar

<3 You seem be a real sweetheart.

Like Cooter said, come and join us.

blackflag

The body is very efficient at using vitamins, so supplements are just making expensive piss. I'm not a fan of using fish oil or omega 3 supplements either. It's so easy to get those nutrients without spending money on pills of an unregulated industry.

Well I don't really eat much fish and I think Omega 3 are one of the very few supplements that are worth taking. Really the only one except in a few specific situations.

blackflag

I've been doing low carb/keto for about a year and have 0 intention of stopping. It's very easy to maintain long term.

Agreed. I lost 100 pounds on Keto. I tried many other things before but keto and lifting worked like nothing else.

I was very insulin resistant though.

It works for some and not so much for othrs. That was like 4 years ago. I don't eat like that now but also haven't gained any of the fat back.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What's maintenance calories?

How many calories you burn by just existing. You burn the majority, easily, of your calories just by breathing, thinking, heart beating. Exercise is just a drop in the bucket, especially compared to diet.

"I can either run for 1 hour or not drink this 8oz coke...fuck that coke." No coke.

blackflag

How many calories you burn by just existing. You burn the majority, easily, of your calories just by breathing, thinking, heart beating. Exercise is just a drop in the bucket, especially compared to diet.

"I can either run for 1 hour or not drink this 8oz coke...fuck that coke." No coke.

You are talking about Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)

Maintenance calories is just however many calories you need per day to maintain the same weight. Obviously the more you exercise and are active the higher your maintenance calories are.

Typically you find out your BMR then multiply that number by 1.4-1.7 depending on how active you are to find your maintenance calories.

grumble

I'm a tiny little (overweight) woman. :p 1200 is fine.

5'4". Currently 160ish lbs. Desk job. I try to work out 5-6 days a week. I have been trying to lose a bunch of weight before going on a trip in September but I suspect I won't lose enough to be happy enough with myself to take pictures of me on the trip. Sigh. Oh well. But in general, I just don't want to be a fatty.

And I don't want to even entertain BF%. Lmao. I suspect it would make me eat a tub of ice cream and then hang myself.

Don't sell yourself short! You can do anything you want to. Lift heavy, eat right and a little cardio and you'll get where you want to go.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
A really good debate on whether government food guides contribute to weight gain.

Does Canada's Food Guide Promote Weight Gain?

With growing concern over the prevalence of obesity across Canada and North America, the Canadian Obesity Network set out to determine what role Canada's Food Guide may play in weight gain by hosting a debate between outspoken critic and popular blogger/author Dr. Yoni Freedhoff and Canada's Director General of Nutrition Policy, Dr. Hasan Hutchinson.

Both doctors were enthusiastic in their desire to present their side of the argument with Dr. Yoni arguing that Canada's Food Guide does in fact promote weight gain and Dr. Hasan defending the use and relevance of the guide created and promoted from his branch of government within Health Canada.

Astral

Chocolate Chip cookie dough quest bars are delicious, I like them more than the real cookies.

I tried chocolate peanut butter a couple of weeks ago. I think it may have been the first protein bar I actually really liked.

http://cupcakesomg.blogspot.pt/2012/08/paleo-chocolate-chip-cookies-and-why-im.html

Haven't tried this one myself. But when I do I'm using peanut butter instead. Can't find almond butter near me.

Anyway, seems delicious.

That looks fucking delicious. My mouth is watering. I don't even know what almond milk is but I do have peanut butter. How many calories though? I feel like I'm barely hitting my deficit because I'm just barely losing a pound a week.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I tried chocolate peanut butter a couple of weeks ago. I think it may have been the first protein bar I actually really liked.

You are in luck because that may be the worst flavor they make.

Schlep

You are in luck because that may be the worst flavor they make.

I'd have to say that's a race between Cinnamon Roll and Strawberry Cheesecake. Both are straight up awful. I've heard that Lemon Cream Pie is pretty bad, too, but I've never tried it.

Bowser

There is no reason to stray from Double Chocolate Chunk, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, and Cookies and Cream Quest bars. They're the best flavors bar none.

jts

...hate me...
That looks fucking delicious. My mouth is watering. I don't even know what almond milk is but I do have peanut butter. How many calories though? I feel like I'm barely hitting my deficit because I'm just barely losing a pound a week.
I roughly estimate the whole batch at 2000+, as per the recipe. Not sure how many cookies can you make from a batch, but if something like 6-10 you can be looking at 200-300 per cookie. Be sure to have people around to share them :D

Bowser

I roughly estimate the whole batch at 2000+, as per the recipe. Not sure how many cookies can you make from a batch, but if something like 6-10 you can be looking at 200-300 per cookie. Be sure to have people around to share them :D

Pretty much spot on, I got something like ~1,950. I'd probably try to make 12-13 or so cookies out of 'em so that they'd come in around 150 calories each haha.

Bowser

So 150-200? I figured as much. That's kind of a lot. I mean, it's way healthier but still.

Well yeah the whole "batter" has roughly 2000 calories in it. It looks like she only made 6-8 so that's more like 250-333 per cookie. Those Enjoy Life chocolate chips add quite a bit, you could use the same amount of these Scharffen Berger Semisweet Dark Chocolate Baking Chunks and save ~150 calories. Probably taste better than the Enjoy Life chips (although not "paleo" friendly).

You're good. Excess calories at breakfast is one thing people should watch out for.

I must say, about the breakfast thing.... I've been cutting breakfast out for 3 months now and I feel so much better. I don't crash or feel utterly exhausted by late afternoon like I did before I cut out breakfast. I also noticed my breath smells better. I initially cut breakfast off as part of the fasting diet but I continue it everyday.

Take note though, I'm overweight and have problems with insulin resistance. I have lost a couple of kilos but need to lose more. Maybe I can bring breakfast back once I get a leaner body with a lower fat ratio.

Laekon

A good heart rate monitor should have a way to set your age, height/weight, and activity level so that your calorie count is more accurate.

Pickman

Non-shitFood|GAF, I have a dilemma.

I am trying to eat more sensibly, but I've always been a hearty breakfast kind of guy. I keep getting conflicting information regarding dieting saying I should eat a few small meals a day, or I should eat two big meals and snack in the evening, etc. My problem is, if I eat a small meal in the morning I feel really lethargic all day until lunch, and even then I just don't have any juice. As it stands now, I eat a big breakfast and usually have just a small snack around lunch time, and then a modest-sized meal for dinner. Am I screwing up my own efforts to eat healthier by adopting this pattern of eating, or am I doing okay with the big morning meal?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
read it and mentioned alot as a seed. you just clean it like a grain

i stopped eating rice, and quinoa seems like a good alternative. I'm not into Paleo that much so I think I'll stick with QUINOA
Hmm, I admit to just skimming to find which word first appeared. I'll have to pick some up next time I go shopping and see what all the hubbub is about.

Top Bottom