• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nutrition Thread |OT| You Can't Outwork A Shit Diet

Azulsky

Chicken is pretty master race for protein/weight, unless you like tuna that much.

Also steak price makes wallet cry.

Im basically on 2300/1900. Its essentially the difference of the post workout food.

working out days:
its chicken and quinoa
I might add some egg or turkey bacon
Dessert: Smoothie and popcorn and maybe Questbar

next working out days
chicken and 8 cups of broccoli then depending on seasoning
Dessert: Smoothie and popcorn

non working out days
seafood and lettuce wraps with some other veggies as condiments
Dessert: Just popcorn

*Once a month and if it's on sale: Steak
depending on the meat: I get a lot of protein especially in seafood

Alotta chicken. I'm gonna be trying to lower my carbs for the next two weeks (no more than 80 grams a day), wanna see how that works out.

Hello all. I've been scared to post but I need to make some lifestyle changes. As a cable guy, I'm always on the go. As a result, my food selection is horrible. Right now I'm 214 but I want to get to 165. The problem is I have no idea what to do lol. There are so many ways to go about this stuff. What are some good food selections and equipment I would need throughout the day, or would intermittent fasting be a better choice? Also I know this isn't the fitness thread but any exercise tips would be appreciated also. My weight is a depressing issue for me but I have been too lazy/scared to do anything about it.

First things first, figure out your TDEE (http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/) and subtract 500 from it.

Diet wise I try to keep my protein at around 160-170 grams (it's recommend you get 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight ) and then the rest being carbs and fats.

I'd read up on diets and see which is best for you.

Oh and download myfitnesspal so you can log all your food. Also get a food scale so you can properly weigh portions out.

Well... one thing is certain, if you do your fasting period whilst you're out and about, you take shit travel food out of the equation completely. So it's definitely worth considering.

The key as always with these things is starting by getting rid of what's most likely doing you the most damage. Soft drinks, fast food, heavy use of sugar, high calorie snacks etc. On the bright side, because you're relatively active in your work life, you should see good change just from the diet side of things if you stay on top of it.

With regards to exercise in general... the key as always is finding something you don't hate. Anything you actively hate doing, you'll avoid doing, and you're set for failure from day one.

Edit - Whilst Hand of Stone is right on the carbs / fats / protein thing... don't sweat the details to start with. Just like exercise, if you find yourself hating having to weigh things and work out calories etc, you're going to end up not bothering at some point. If you find you don't mind doing that sort of thing, go for it. But if nothing else, you should definitely be writing down what you eat in general (or putting it in an app like suggested).

Fistwell

Hello all. I've been scared to post but I need to make some lifestyle changes. As a cable guy, I'm always on the go. As a result, my food selection is horrible. Right now I'm 214 but I want to get to 165. The problem is I have no idea what to do lol. There are so many ways to go about this stuff. What are some good food selections and equipment I would need throughout the day, or would intermittent fasting be a better choice? Also I know this isn't the fitness thread but any exercise tips would be appreciated also. My weight is a depressing issue for me but I have been too lazy/scared to do anything about it.
What's your diet like? Do you do sodas, fast food? White bread, sweets? In terms of exercise, is there anything you would enjoy? Playing ball, going for walks, biking?

You can get started by trying to replace the worst things you ingest with healthier alternatives (e.g. soda with water) and figure out what sort of physical activities you enjoy. It helps if you look at it as long-term lifestyle adjustment rather than temporary diet. As already mentioned, logging calories can also help put in perspective the stuff you eat, both in terms of what's in it and what are reasonable servings.

Edit: lol beaten. Listen to Psycho. ;)

Mascot

Edit - Whilst Hand of Stone is right on the carbs / fats / protein thing... don't sweat the details to start with. Just like exercise, if you find yourself hating having to weigh things and work out calories etc, you're going to end up not bothering at some point. If you find you don't mind doing that sort of thing, go for it. But if nothing else, you should definitely be writing down what you eat in general (or putting it in an app like suggested).

My philosophy exactly. Like my exercise, I just apply common sense to my diet. I could never, never, go to all the trouble that you lot are with your macros, weighing, timings, shakes... hell, I don't even read the fucking ingredients on most things I eat (but then again, I prepare most meals from fresh ingredients). I have occasional lazy lapses (like today, I was at a trade show, so have lived on sweets, biscuits and pizza) but the general trend errs on the healthy side. Ditto with exercise - I just trust my feelings. If I treated it any more serious than that I'd soon get bored.

More power to you lot though - the dedication shown in this thread is impressive.

First things first, figure out your TDEE (http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/) and subtract 500 from it.

Diet wise I try to keep my protein at around 160-170 grams (it's recommend you get 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight ) and then the rest being carbs and fats.

I'd read up on diets and see which is best for you.

Oh and download myfitnesspal so you can log all your food. Also get a food scale so you can properly weigh portions out.

Thanks for the reply Hands of Stone. Yeah, I had myfitnesspal before, but I never used it, but I will download it again. I never thought about a food scale before and I will definitely pick one up. So about the protein per pound of bodyweight. Do you measure that by bodyweight goal, or what you currently weigh?

Well... one thing is certain, if you do your fasting period whilst you're out and about, you take shit travel food out of the equation completely. So it's definitely worth considering.

The key as always with these things is starting by getting rid of what's most likely doing you the most damage. Soft drinks, fast food, heavy use of sugar, high calorie snacks etc. On the bright side, because you're relatively active in your work life, you should see good change just from the diet side of things if you stay on top of it.

With regards to exercise in general... the key as always is finding something you don't hate. Anything you actively hate doing, you'll avoid doing, and you're set for failure from day one.

I think I will do the intermittent fasting, because I won't have to worry about meal prep as much, correct? As for my diet, my main vice is soda. I have tried so many times to give it up. I know it's where the majority of my calories come from. I was also thinking about doing the Starting Strength routine to start out with and then branch out from that. Thanks for your reply.

What's your diet like? Do you do sodas, fast food? White bread, sweets? In terms of exercise, is there anything you would enjoy? Playing ball, going for walks, biking?

You can get started by trying to replace the worst things you ingest with healthier alternatives (e.g. soda with water) and figure out what sort of physical activities you enjoy. It helps if you look at it as long-term lifestyle adjustment rather than temporary diet. As already mentioned, logging calories can also help put in perspective the stuff you eat, both in terms of what's in it and what are reasonable servings.

Edit: lol beaten. Listen to Psycho. ;)

Yeah I think the hardest part is the diet. Right now it sucks. lol I'm currently in the South, and unfortunately I grew up on a lot of fried foods and not too many vegetables, so I'm learning to love them way later than most people. My weight wasn't really an issue until I got to college, but I was actively working out and playing basketball. I want to start going back to that. I'm going to download myfitnesspal and do some research on IF and food choices. Once again, thank you all for the replies. I know I do have a six pack buried underneath all that smooth muscle, I just have to find it. lol

Thanks for the reply Hands of Stone. Yeah, I had myfitnesspal before, but I never used it, but I will download it again. I never thought about a food scale before and I will definitely pick one up. So about the protein per pound of bodyweight. Do you measure that by bodyweight goal, or what you currently weigh?

I went with whatever I weighed and then as I lost weight lowered my intake to match it.

Not for everyone. Especially older people and those who have lost massive amounts.

All anyone can do (short of surgery) is drink plenty of water and moisturise.

Well at one point I was at 240 and then I began losing weight because of graves disease. Through taking medication I ended up more or less having it under control and I was around 205 when my weight stabilized. I started last year around this time to lose weight with proper diet and exercise, I'm around 166/165 right now, goal weight being 147 and then I'd like to bulk. It's mostly around my lower stomach area.

Sadetar

Well at one point I was at 240 and then I began losing weight because of graves disease. Through taking medication I ended up more or less having it under control and I was around 205 when my weight stabilized. I started last year around this time to lose weight with proper diet and exercise, I'm around 166/165 right now, goal weight being 147 and then I'd like to bulk. It's mostly around my lower stomach area.
Now I need to ask that how tall are you? If those are in pounds 147 sounds extremely low.

What comes to the extra skin I have some on my tummy area as well. The situation isn't as bad as it could be, but we will see how it is after I am on my goal weight. Like said in here, just drink loads of water and remember to moisturize it, it can shrink for even up to two years.

Azulsky

I've just realized I have a bunch around my stomach area. Just thought it was all fat but seeing online pics of others has convinced me. Any ways of tightening it (other than surgery)?

Nah. We are pretty much out of luck for ab definition. Its basically not fat anymore when you can press on it and the muscle is right underneath it.

I have it on pretty much every possible problem area.

I'm too much of a miser/ not vain enough to get it removed.

I really don't have enough fucks left to worry about it anymore. Like it was a crippling anxiety at some point in this process, not even on my radar.

Now I need to ask that how tall are you? If those are in pounds 147 sounds extremely low.

What comes to the extra skin I have some on my tummy area as well. The situation isn't as bad as it could be, but we will see how it is after I am on my goal weight. Like said in here, just drink loads of water and remember to moisturize it, it can shrink for even up to two years.

5'8, probably closer to 5'9. Like I said I still have a good bit of fat on me, my problem being the majority of this cut I was doing 90% cardio. I only started incorporating weight lifting these past 3 months or so. Also wasn't as dedicated as I am now, I'd gain back 5-6 pounds lose it the next week and repeat.

RBK

Banned
Anyone have suggestions of food I could add to my diet on a $40-$50 budget?

Pretty much eat everything outside of nuts. Was thinking of following my friend's plan of just eating nothing but eggs and bacon for the day lol, but that's going to get rather dull quick.

Was so desperate to hit my calorie target before bed (low carb day again) that I started eating peanut butter on its own. I don't even really like peanut butter that much. lol

Anyone have suggestions of food I could add to my diet on a $40-$50 budget?

Pretty much eat everything outside of nuts. Was thinking of following my friend's plan of just eating nothing but eggs and bacon for the day lol, but that's going to get rather dull quick.
veggies are cheap also walmart sells cheap frozen seafood and chicken in family sizes

Was so desperate to hit my calorie target before bed (low carb day again) that I started eating peanut butter on its own. I don't even really like peanut butter that much. lol

its a good calorie filler though. 0 cholesterol. It does gets me hungry again though :S

(Damn we got move to Community)

Sadetar

5'8, probably closer to 5'9. Like I said I still have a good bit of fat on me, my problem being the majority of this cut I was doing 90% cardio. I only started incorporating weight lifting these past 3 months or so. Also wasn't as dedicated as I am now, I'd gain back 5-6 pounds lose it the next week and repeat.
Well, I still think that 147 sounds a bit low even when keeping your height in mind. I am quite exactly 5'6'' and my goal weight is somewhere around 165 pounds so even if I am shorter than you you are currently on my ideal weight.

May I ask why exactly 147? Have you been on that weight and felt good in it or do you have some other reason?

I am just being curious. I am actually a bit jealous since I just don't have the body type to be petite and I have quite much muscles that I don't want to lose. I have been hitting the gym the whole time I have been losing weight so our body composition might be quite different and you have set your goal accordingly. I would still say that don't look the numbers that much but look the mirror and when you feel good.

Well, I still think that 147 sounds a bit low even when keeping your height in mind. I am quite exactly 5'6'' and my goal weight is somewhere around 165 pounds so even if I am shorter than you you are currently on my ideal weight.

May I ask why exactly 147? Have you been on that weight and felt good in it or do you have some other reason?

I am just being curious. I am actually a bit jealous since I just don't have the body type to be petite and I have quite much muscles that I don't want to lose. I have been hitting the gym the whole time I have been losing weight so our body composition might be quite different and you have set your goal accordingly. I would still say that don't look the numbers that much but look the mirror and when you feel good.

Well from where I'm currently at, I feel it's a decent end goal. Any lower than that and I'll be sure I'll look sickly, and it gives me enough leeway to when I start bulking I'll be hovering around weight I'm comfortable being at without feeling like a "fatass". Oh and even with excess skin I have good chunk of fat too so I'm also hoping I can be a bit leaner.

I've actually never been this low in weight before. Back in HS I was around 180-190 and then I blew up to like 210. I exercised and dieted for about 5 months and got down to 175 and stayed there till I graduated. After a couple of years I yet again blew up to 240 and then I began losing weight rapidly early last year and that's when I found out I had graves disease. Got it under control with proper medication and from 205 to now, it's be all diet and exercise.

Sadetar

Well from where I'm currently at, I feel it's a decent end goal. Any lower than that and I'll be sure I'll look sickly, and it gives me enough leeway to when I start bulking I'll be hovering around weight I'm comfortable being at without feeling like a "fatass". Oh and even with excess skin I have good chunk of fat too so I'm also hoping I can be a bit leaner.

I've actually never been this low in weight before. Back in HS I was around 180-190 and then I blew up to like 210. I exercised and dieted for about 5 months and got down to 175 and stayed there till I graduated. After a couple of years I yet again blew up to 240 and then I began losing weight rapidly early last year and that's when I found out I had graves disease. Got it under control with proper medication and from 205 to now, it's be all diet and exercise.
If you're cutting to be at 165, what's your calorie intake look like? Do you do any cardio?

I'm at 1800 currently.
Good to hear that your disease is under control and that you are feeling better. I guess that if you at the moment don't have that much muscles it is quite alright to drop to your wanted bodyfat percentage and start bulking after that one to gain more muscles. Just don't be too strict about the pure numbers but also look at the mirror and think when do you start to feel good in your skin. :)

At the moment I am being stressed and lazy and just maintaining my current weight. After I get my biggest problem meaning my graduating thesis out of the way I am back to cutting. Last summer when I was cutting my calories were between 1300-1700 depending of my activity. If I was going to work out at the gym it was more, if I was just doing Nordic walking or pilates it was around in the middle and on total rest days it was somewhat low. This summer I am planning to do something similar since it seemed to work quite nicely for me. I was gaining muscles and didn't feel tired or out of energy.

My work out routine for the week included twice a week lifting with 10 minutes warm up on crosstrainer and 30 minutes after the work out. I also went to pilates once a week and twice a week Nordic walking for 1,5-2 hours.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Yesterday I made the Bodybuilding Meatloaf from the Protein Chef. It was my very first time actually making a meal. Most of my food do not go together as a recipe would, so I was very reluctant in completing this. To my surprise it was amazingly delicious. I never knew that healthy food could taste so good. I think my cut will be easier than ever now. I am learning so many new recipes and techniques for cooking, that I actually look forward to preparing my meals now. Thanks to the OP for the great OP.

Anybody have experience with "ricing" cauliflower?

I don't have a food processor so going to have to go with a cheese grater haha.

I want to make fried fried but with cauliflower to avoid all the carbs.

Good to hear that your disease is under control and that you are feeling better. I guess that if you at the moment don't have that much muscles it is quite alright to drop to your wanted bodyfat percentage and start bulking after that one to gain more muscles. Just don't be too strict about the pure numbers but also look at the mirror and think when do you start to feel good in your skin. :)

At the moment I am being stressed and lazy and just maintaining my current weight. After I get my biggest problem meaning my graduating thesis out of the way I am back to cutting. Last summer when I was cutting my calories were between 1300-1700 depending of my activity. If I was going to work out at the gym it was more, if I was just doing Nordic walking or pilates it was around in the middle and on total rest days it was somewhat low. This summer I am planning to do something similar since it seemed to work quite nicely for me. I was gaining muscles and didn't feel tired or out of energy.

My work out routine for the week included twice a week lifting with 10 minutes warm up on crosstrainer and 30 minutes after the work out. I also went to pilates once a week and twice a week Nordic walking for 1,5-2 hours.

Thanks for the good vibes. 1300 eh? I did 1500 for the longest and I still have no idea how I was surviving lol. Between upping my calories to 1800 and committing to IF, I feel like I'm finally making good progress. I can just barely see some abs. I'm hyped man haha.

What weight are you around now?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody have experience with "ricing" cauliflower?

I don't have a food processor so going to have to go with a cheese grater haha.

I want to make fried fried but with cauliflower to avoid all the carbs.

Honestly, I find a box grater to be much easier to use than a food processor when ricing cauliflower.

By the time you pull out the food processor and break the cauliflower head into small enough chunks to feed into it, you'd already be finished doing it manually. Also if your food processor isn't big enough, you might have to set it up and empty it out multiple times to finish the cauliflower head. Not to mention the cleanup.

I've made a few yummy fried rice recipes using cauliflower rice, they turn out quite well.

Azulsky

How well does cottage cheese go with peanut butter?

Honestly that sounds a bit weird, only because cottage has that particular texture and because it has that slightly off center of bland taste.

I have heard of some people mixing crazy stuff with cottage cheese, like canned tuna and Sriracha.

I still want to try that actually just haven't worked up the cajones yet.

Greek Yogurt and PB is okay. Its actually a decent excuse to mix in fruit so you can get some faux peanut butter and jelly flavor going on.

Sadetar

Thanks for the good vibes. 1300 eh? I did 1500 for the longest and I still have no idea how I was surviving lol. Between upping my calories to 1800 and committing to IF, I feel like I'm finally making good progress. I can just barely see some abs. I'm hyped man haha.

What weight are you around now?
I am at the moment around 190 pounds. It is still ridiculously high, even though it doesn't look as bad as it could. I assume that muscles makes it more tolerable.

Awesome to hear you are seeing the difference and nailing it currently. I have too much on my plate so I am quite happy with maintaining. Also when you think about my calories you need to remember that as a female my daily intake is generally a bit lower than yours (assuming you are a male). I ate around 1300 calories only once or twice a week too so it wasn't at all that bad. I am waiting to go back on cut. I loved the feeling of not being bloated. :p

What comes to cottage cheese and peanut butter don't listen to me - I generally dislike peanut butter. Not my cup of tea at all.

Honestly that sounds a bit weird, only because cottage has that particular texture and because it has that slightly off center of bland taste.

I have heard of some people mixing crazy stuff with cottage cheese, like canned tuna and Sriracha.

I still want to try that actually just haven't worked up the cajones yet.

Greek Yogurt and PB is okay. Its actually a decent excuse to mix in fruit so you can get some faux peanut butter and jelly flavor going on.

Oh man it was so good. I mixed in 1 cup of cottage cheese, 2 teaspoons of PB and a sliced apple. Could be that after fasting for 22 hours I could have had anything and it woulda tasted great but goddamn was it tasty.

ILoveBish

http://theprimitivepalate.com/2015/01/12/low-carb-french-fries/

Found this recipe and was very interested. I picked up 2 18oz packages today, each entire package is only 6g net carbs. If this works out well, i might have a new source for french fries if i feel like having them (which isn't often, but never know!). Will be making them this weekend, i have guests staying over, so i am making a large amount of keto food for everyone to enjoy, including some experiments with boiled Bamboo shoots.

Eyeron

Can someone recommend a good protein/meal replacement shake mix? I've read good things about Optimum Nutrition but the stuff I saw at Costco yesterday seemed to be more for bulking up, which I'm not really interested in currently.

Azulsky

Can someone recommend a good protein/meal replacement shake mix? I've read good things about Optimum Nutrition but the stuff I saw at Costco yesterday seemed to be more for bulking up, which I'm not really interested in currently.

So the goal is to get the nutritional profile of a complete meal in a shake. Have u tried Soylent?

ON is really known for their Gold Standard Whey, which is just whey protein.

The ON Serious Mass stuff is pretty nutritionally replete, but it is heavily tailored towards muscle growth with the protein/creatine/glutamine ingredients.

Eyeron

So the goal is to get the nutritional profile of a complete meal in a shake.Have u tried Soylent?

ON is really known for their Gold Standard Whey, which is just whey protein.

The ON Serious Mass stuff is pretty nutritionally replete, but it is heavily tailored towards muscle growth with the protein/creatine/glutamine ingredients.

Basically. I have to deal with long commutes and would like to replace a few meals with nutrition-packed shakes and smoothies. I'll check out Soylent.

Basically. I have to deal with long commutes and would like to replace a few meals with nutrition-packed shakes and smoothies. I'll check out Soylent.

Why not try IF?

Think I'll start doing 2 eggs whites and 1 egg instead of 3 whole eggs. I can save a bit of calories and the taste is pretty much the same.

Anything I should keep in mind when buying frozen fruits? Specifically strawberries? I like fresh but they go bad pretty quickly.

I did decent size fry size. I would recommend cutting them even thinner. Im going to do a batch cut very thin and see how it goes. The outside crunchy texture is great, but thats all i want, the soft tofu inner isnt needed. I'll try again.

might try that i have tofu in my fridge

made Jamba Juice's Aloha Pineapple 300 calories and its 2 1/2 cups. It's so thick it was like Ice Cream. Also a cheese popcorn
10553608_10100408894908192_6504346376483621099_n.jpg

ILoveBish

might try that i have tofu in my fridge

Well, i cut it into really thin strips and deep fried it, and they came out terrific, other then the fact that they stuck together bigtime, and also curled up and didnt keep shape. I then made them into small cubes, dumped them in the deep fryer, and bam! Perfect. Crispy, tasteless little cubes. I put them in a 2 bags, one with cinnamon and splenda, the other with parm garlic sauce. Both came out amazing. Having something so low carb and so crispy is really a treat, crispy is missing in a lot of keto foods.

It's a nice alternative if i ever feel like i need a snack.

Top Bottom