• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official June 2007 NPD Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiggs

Well, the 360 did better than I expected, the PS3 worse, and Nintendo, well, what can be said for their recent success that hasn't already been said?

faberpach said:
Nintendo DS: 561,000
Wii: 381,780
PlayStation Portable: 290,100
PlayStation 2: 270,760
Xbox 360: 198,440
Game Boy Advance: 113,870
PlayStation 3: 98,470

GBA>>PS3:lol

What ? Already ? Matt surprised the world this time. And Wow and the DS: almost 600k. INSANE !!!

[Nintex]

PSP is doing well lately. As always Nintendo Win's flawless victory. PS3 didn't make 100k, and Xbox360 isn't selling like hotcakes either.

YYZ

wow at the PSP reaching almost 300K, before the redesign was known. I'm surprised. Other numbers I'm not surprised though PS2 is higher than expected.

Sharp

The PSP sales are actually in line with their sales last month, I think. That said, this is Matt. Assuming the numbers are correct is not necessarily the best course of action.

laserbeam

Banned
Sharp said:
The PSP sales are actually in line with their sales last month, I think. That said, this is Matt. Assuming the numbers are correct is not necessarily the best course of action.

more or less. exact in line is 276K so it performed slightly better but no significant increase overall

Branduil

52lu81f.gif

jjasper

PSP did well in a pretty weak month for it game release wise, I wonder how it will do with the good line up it has this fall plus a redesign.

Sharp

laserbeam said:
more or less. exact in line is 276K so it performed slightly better but no significant increase overall
Oh, that much? That's actually more of an increase than I expected. I wonder what's driving sales? Though I suppose I should ask the same question of the GBA.

Chiggs

AdmiralViscen said:
There should be a new thread for the numbers.

June was 5 weeks right? So 360 in fact had no improvement?

Was it 155k last month? If so, there was a slight improvement.

Sharp said:

Sony's finally got some momentum with the PSP as it's selling really well in the US and Japan lately. Software still needs to catch up but it's a start.

I guess after all those failed marketing campaigns "Dude, Get Your Own!" hit the mark. Who knew?

Here are the projected numbers based off of Canadian sales, again:

Projected June American HW #'s
NDS: 542,161
WII: 480,778
PSP: 265,344
PS2: 216,634
360: 170,038
GBA: 116,199
PS3: 81,604

Everything pretty good except Wii and PS2. Holy shit at GBA.

dude

dude
faberpach said:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a Wiimote smacking a PS3 — for ever.

laserbeam

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
But....are these numbers true ? I begin to think that....

yeah i think they might be but its hard to say. Matt is asking to get IGN into alot of shit if hes breaking embargos

GhaleonEB

AdmiralViscen said:
There should be a new thread for the numbers.

June was 5 weeks right? So 360 in fact had no improvement?
360 is flat on a weekly basis (up about 1k) from last month, but that's a reversal of a three-month decline. Still not nearly what it should be doing. Price cut get!

The PS3 number is the explanation for the price cut, right there. Ouch for a five-week month. Next month will be interesting.

Wii looks like it sold everything they sold, as usual.

it is such a shame that the psp's main comeptitor is ds, otherwise it would have been painted as a success story.

I think it might have a shot at out-selling the wii the month the re-design comes out tho, if only for that month...

Sharp

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Wow. Outside the Wii, surprisingly accurate ! Wii shortages or Wii's demand is going down ? (serious question )
It sold about 76k per week. I'd say that's not likely to be a demand issue.
justjohn said:
they're buying the psp yet not buying the freaking games. what exactly are they using it for?
How do you know? We haven't even got software numbers for this month yet, and we certainly haven't gotten anything comprehensive for awhile.

jjasper said:
PSP did well in a pretty weak month for it game release wise, I wonder how it will do with the good line up it has this fall plus a redesign.

I wouldn't expect the redesign to give the PSP a huge bump since it doesn't really look that different from the old PSP. The only complaint about the PSP's current design is that exposed screen and nothing was done about it.

It's already got a great software line up, it really needs another price drop to get competative with the DS.

Odysseus

Banned
Speevy said:
Those are pretty much what everyone could have expected from the Xbox 360 in June.

As a matter of fact, most predictions had it lower.

in line with predictions, sure. far better than my own prediction. doesn't change the fact that 360 sales continue to be mediocre.

Sharp

Saint Gregory said:
I wouldn't expect the redesign to give the PSP a huge bump since it doesn't really look that different from the old PSP. The only complaint about the PSP's current design is that exposed screen and nothing was done about it.

It's already got a great software line up, it really needs another price drop to get competative with the DS.
Look at those DS sales, please. The PSP is not going to be competitive with the DS, period. That doesn't exclude it from being very successful for Sony, though.

Branduil

Saint Gregory said:
Sony's finally got some momentum with the PSP as it's selling really well in the US and Japan lately. Software still needs to catch up but it's a start.

I guess after all those failed marketing campaigns "Dude, Get Your Own!" hit the mark. Who knew?
More likely the price drop hit the mark.

sebthelobster said:
it is such a shame that the psp's main comeptitor is ds, otherwise it would have been painted as a success story.

I think it might have a shot at out-selling the wii the month the re-design comes out tho, if only for that month...

PSP is a success as a device for using pirated software and video, but as a games playing handheld it's a disastrous flop. Software sales are just horrible.

GhaleonEB

Speevy said:
Those are pretty much what everyone could have expected from the Xbox 360 in June.

As a matter of fact, most predictions had it lower.
The average was a bit lower. In fact, our average prediction was way off on a number of systems.

faberpach said:

Here's GAF's predictions:

Cheesemeister said:
Number of contestants: 181

PS2 - Agg. = 197,897; Expected Range = 175,000 to 240,000
PSP - Agg. = 234,928; Expected Range = 240,000 to 280,000
PS3 - Agg. = 99,422; Expected Range = 75,000 to 119,300
XBX - Agg. = 1,055; Expected Range = 100 to 2,000
360 - Agg. = 173,986; Expected Range = 120,000 to 195,000
GBA - Agg. = 85,496; Expected Range = 50,000 to 90,000
NGC - Agg. = 10,013; Expected Range = 4,000 to 15,000
NDS - Agg. = 470,229; Expected Range = 255,000 to 625,000
WII - Agg. = 374,602; Expected Range = 360,278 to 445,000
Nailed the Wii, PS3, came close on the 360 and GBA. A ways off for the PSP, PS2, and DS.

Sharp said:
Look at those DS sales, please. The PSP is not going to be competitive with the DS, period. That doesn't exclude it from being very successful for Sony, though.

It will never catch the DS in totally sales but if it can pull even in monthly sales it would be great momentum for PSP2.

I love both of them and the competion Nintendo was expecting from the PSP really brought the best out of them. I'd hate for the DS's success to be such a landslide that they get lazy again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom