• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official June 2007 NPD Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saint Gregory said:
Sony's finally got some momentum with the PSP as it's selling really well in the US and Japan lately. Software still needs to catch up but it's a start.

I guess after all those failed marketing campaigns "Dude, Get Your Own!" hit the mark. Who knew?

That's right. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I have the impression that PSP's sales are going up costantly since PS3 came out and disappoints the world. Are maybe disappointed PS2 owners that wanna not pass on PS3 starting considering the PSP ?

Ok, maybe it's a really too stupid hypothesis. Sorry.

And btw, I suspect these numbers are not true, since no new thread has been created.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
PS2 still continues to impress. I wonder how long developers will keep supporting it. GBA still continued to sell very well, but Nintendo seems to have stopped any new production now.

jjasper

Saint Gregory said:
I wouldn't expect the redesign to give the PSP a huge bump since it doesn't really look that different from the old PSP. The only complaint about the PSP's current design is that exposed screen and nothing was done about it.

It's already got a great software line up, it really needs another price drop to get competative with the DS.

I think the TV output and new colors (these always bump sales for systems) might bump sales some. In reality it is never going to compete with what the DS sells, it just isn't possible. It doesn't have to though as it will be successful in its own right.

TheGreatDave said:
DS is just crazy. PSP is really impressive too, I'm interested to see if we get any improvements in software

ava.gif

Oh man please change your avatar, I'll pay you, it is so creepy, oh man turn it off....

Rowsdower

MaX_PL said:
ps2 number is really high. it's ridiculous that people still buy last gen hardware.

so tempting.

The sales are about how i expected them. 360 a bit lower maybe, but it was a strong month.

Great number for NDS. Wii is a bit lower than expected.
And poor PSP-buyers, when a new model got just announced. ^^
But 5 weeks...i dont find anythign amazing about these numbers...

MasterMFauli said:
Great number for NDS. Wii is a bit lower than expected.
And poor PSP-buyers, when a new model got just announced. ^^
But 5 weeks...i dont find anythign amazing about these numbers...

I don't think the casual consumer will distinguish between the models easily. I have by myself problem distinguish them !

laserbeam

Banned
The DS sales will just continue to rise as time goes. GBA crowd is gonna be forced more or less to advance to the next handheld. we could see 700-800k unit months outside of holidays

Xenon said:
Why are people calling 360 numbers disapointing when most people had it selling less? =\

If I expected someone to cut my dick off but they kicked me in the balls instead, I'd still be in a bad mood.

Xenon said:
Why are people calling 360 numbers disapointing when most people had it selling less? =\

360's numbers are for me disappointing for a 5 week month. I don't see how they could be good. But the software is compensing more then enough the poor hardware's sales.

RumFore

Banned
Those numbers cannot be right. I refuse to believe even with a price drop sales didn't take off. Are you sure thats not just the guys prediction like everyone else?

Oblivion said:
RE4 Wii sold 150k in 10 days. ****in A!

Matt is posting software? Plz paste plz

RumpledForeskin said:
Those numbers cannot be right. I refuse to believe even with a price drop sales didn't take off. Are you sure thats not just the guys prediction like everyone else?

Read.

HokieJoe

The Wii and PS2 prove month after month that price matters a great deal to the American buying public.

/masteroftheobvious

WTF @ PS2, it`s back from the dead! (wasn`t it around 160k last month?)

WTF @ PSP it`s selling like delicious hot cakes!) With the redesign, the Wii might have some competition on it`s hands!

Heidir

http://wii.ign.com/articles/807/807385p1.html

The top-selling games largely belonged to Nintendo, too. Against IGN's recommendation, Wii owners continued to buy Mario Party 8, which pulled in another 426,000 in sales to become the month's best-selling game. Wii Play nabbed the second slot with 293,000. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl sucked in 288,000 and 214,000 new DS fans respectively and Xbox 360's Forza Motorsport 2 capped out the top five with 197,000 in sales.

Despite low ratings and a lackluster online mode, more than 157,000 people were tricked into buying Pokemon Battle Revolution for Wii. However, in more positive news, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition managed nearly 150,000 in sales through June after being available for about 10 days.

Joe Molotov

Saint Gregory said:
It will never catch the DS in totally sales but if it can pull even in monthly sales it would be great momentum for PSP2.

560 vs. 270, yeah I can see it closing that gap any time now.

Odysseus

Banned
Oblivion said:
RE4 Wii sold 150k in 10 days. ****in A!

that's not incredibly good, you know. given how software sales for most games are front loaded.

edit: but it is understandable since the game is old news.

DS, Wii Own June
Nintendo domination continues. Official numbers inside.
by Matt Casamassina
July 23, 2007 - Official NPD data for June is in and, once again, Nintendo's handheld and console dominated the charts. Nintendo DS sold through a whopping 561,000 units for the month and Wii pulled in another 381,000 believers, making the two systems the number-one and number-two best-sellers respectively in June.

Sony's PSP performed surprisingly well, with sales undoubtedly spurred by a recent price drop. The handheld managed 290,000 in sales, which was good enough to nab the third best-selling spot for the month. Meanwhile, PlayStation 2 garnered another 270,000 unit sales, earning it the number-four position.

Xbox 360 sales, at 198,000, were nearly doubled by Wii. Game Boy Advance attracted another 113,000 people and, finally, PlayStation 3 continued to trail behind all competitors with 98,000 in sales -- a number that is up over previous months, but still well behind Wii or Xbox 360.

The top-selling games largely belonged to Nintendo, too. Against IGN's recommendation, Wii owners continued to buy Mario Party 8, which pulled in another 426,000 in sales to become the month's best-selling game. Wii Play nabbed the second slot with 293,000. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl sucked in 288,000 and 214,000 new DS fans respectively and Xbox 360's Forza Motorsport 2 capped out the top five with 197,000 in sales.

Despite low ratings and a lackluster online mode, more than 157,000 people were tricked into buying Pokemon Battle Revolution for Wii. However, in more positive news, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition managed nearly 150,000 in sales through June after being available for about 10 days.

from IGN.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AdmiralViscen said:
Matt is posting software? Plz paste plz

Read.

July 23, 2007 - Official NPD data for June is in and, once again, Nintendo's handheld and console dominated the charts. Nintendo DS sold through a whopping 561,000 units for the month and Wii pulled in another 381,000 believers, making the two systems the number-one and number-two best-sellers respectively in June.

Sony's PSP performed surprisingly well, with sales undoubtedly spurred by a recent price drop. The handheld managed 290,000 in sales, which was good enough to nab the third best-selling spot for the month. Meanwhile, PlayStation 2 garnered another 270,000 unit sales, earning it the number-four position.

Xbox 360 sales, at 198,000, were nearly doubled by Wii. Game Boy Advance attracted another 113,000 people and, finally, PlayStation 3 continued to trail behind all competitors with 98,000 in sales -- a number that is up over previous months, but still well behind Wii or Xbox 360.

ediT: beaten multiple times.

fernoca

So according to IGN:

1. Wii: Mario Party 8: 426,000
2. Wii: Wii Play: 293,000
3. NDS: Pokémon: Diamond Version: 288,000
4. NDS: Pokémon: Pearl Version: 214,000
5. 360: Forza 2: 197,000
6. Wii: Pokémon: Battle Revolution: 157,000
7. Wii: Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition: 150,000
8. ???
9. ???
10. ???

GhaleonEB

Cyan said:
So... even if the PR about the PS3 doubling in sales after the price drop is true (not bloody likely), it'd still be doing less than the 360. Damn.
Yeah, that really puts the sales in perspective. 360 is decidedly mediocre, but the PS3 number is in a class by itself. Looking back, it did worse than the Gamecube at the same point in its lifecycle.

AdmiralViscen said:
If I expected someone to cut my dick off but they kicked me in the balls instead, I'd still be in a bad mood.
That's actually a pretty good analogy. :lol

Heidir said:

WTH if this is all true then Nintendo is truly holy shit batman bananas ****ing the competition in the ass wordwide. I mean they're even getting back on track in Europe.

The world is Nintendo now.

Chiggs

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
from IGN.

...finally, PlayStation 3 continued to trail behind all competitors with 98,000 in sales -- a number that is up over previous months, but still well behind Wii or Xbox 360.

PS3 numbers are up? :D

justjohn

Gary Whitta said:
Heh, I've tried it twice now and keep typing it wrong. One more time:

Wii effortlessly outselling Xbox 360 and PS3 combined. Now that's dominance.
jesus christ make your ****ing mind up

laserbeam

Banned
Odysseus said:
that's not incredibly good, you know. given how software sales for most games are front loaded.

not that bad either since it only had 1/3 of a month in that 150K the other 2/3 in july could for all we know be another 300,000 units

A few months back, Geoff Keighley claimed to have heard that some publishers were considering axing PS3 versions of multiplatform games if the system spent three consecutive months below 100K.

Already third party executives are telling me that if PS3 sales stay below 100k for 3 consecutive months, PS3 SKUs may start disappearing from release lists and in turn create a wealth of de-facto exclusives for the Xbox 360.

PS3 has now done so, but somehow I don't actually expect this to happen.

Odysseus

Banned
laserbeam said:
not that bad either since it only had 1/3 of a month in that 150K the other 2/3 in july could for all we know be another 300,000 units

i think you missed the point of game sales being "front loaded."

BTW from the person in the other thread that said Matt had a weird name. C'mon how can you find his name hard. Are you guys dumb? It's Matt CassamasidamassamidasaaaaaADFMLNAFKLJFL:K ohhhh **** OFF N/M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom