• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2007 NPD Prediction Thread

909er

What the hell, I'm gonna give this my first honest shot.

NDS - 500,000
Wii - 410,000
Xbox 360 - 310,000
PS2 - 280,000
PSP - 230,000
PS3 - 180,000
GC - 22,000
Xbox - 300

StevieP

Banned
NDS - 450k (supply constrained)
WII - 350k (supply constrained + big push at the beginning of april)
360 - 240k (same as always)
PS2 - 220k (around the same)
PSP - 200k (new price = slight push)
GBA - 160k (next gen winner?)
PS3 - 140k (no software, less sales)
NGC - 20k (still plugging to reach 24m!)
XBox - 100 (is this even on the list still?)

Cruceh

Banned
Might as well join in on the fun. :D

Nintendo DS 500,000
Wii 425,000
PlayStation 2 175,000
Xbox 360 205,000
PlayStation Portable 195,000
Game Boy Advance 125,000
PlayStation 3 135,000
GameCube 20,000
Xbox 500

Ydahs

Hmm, VGcharts seems to have all of the March weekly sales, including sales halfway through this month. Are these actual sale stats? It looks like it, but are these just predictions?
I don't really remember them having this before.

http://www.vgchartz.com/aweekly.php

If VGcharts are correct, these are the March sales:
DS 608k
Wii 445k
X360 337k
PSP 252k
PS3 188k

Wow

GhaleonEB

Ydahs said:
Hmm, VGcharts seems to have all of the March weekly sales, including sales halfway through this month. Are these actual sale stats? It looks like it, but are these just predictions?
I don't really remember them having this before.

http://www.vgchartz.com/aweekly.php

If VGcharts are correct, these are the March sales:
DS 608k
Wii 445k
X360 337k
PSP 252k
PS3 188k

Wow
I'll be nice. Don't trust VG charts! Trust me on this one. Especially BEFORE data comes out. That site has some history with GAF.

Ydahs

GhaleonEB said:
I'll be nice. Don't trust VG charts! Trust me on this one. Especially BEFORE data comes out. That site has some history with GAF.

History?
Heh, just making sure. I'm not too familiar with how VGcharts works and how GAF responds to them as I rarely visit it and sale threads. This is the first time I saw weekly US sales on the site. Thanks the sane reply. *glares at Odysseus*

Mar

Ydahs said:
History?
Heh, just making sure. I'm not too familiar with how VGcharts works and how GAF responds to them as I rarely visit it and sale threads. This is the first time I saw weekly US sales on the site. Thanks the sane reply. *glares at Odysseus*

And even if those numbers are correct. They are completely useless as they don't show who won the Grudgematch(tm).

mj1108

I'm betting what's guaranteed: Pages upon pages of spin, bitter fanboy tears and at least 5 bans before it hits 10 pages.

Haunted

Mar_ said:
grudgematch.jpg
:lol :lol

anyway...
DS - 440k
Wii - 360k
360 - 260k
PS2 - 255k
PSP - 190k
GBA - 155,238
PS3 - 155,124 lol
GC - 30k

king zell

2007 April 19th, SONY announced comment it was published to the FINANCIAL TIMES magazine " Sony considers slashing price of PS3 console " (SONY reduction of playstation 3 examination) with vis-a-vis the article which is said. The sony public information “is something which is based on collection of data concerning the description regarding the possibility of reduction of playstation 3, but while in the future checking the trend and competitive circumstance of the market, concerning the price and the shipment quantity of playstation 3, when it is necessary to keep examining it is something which it explains”, that it has done. By the way, playstation 2 from sale after approximately 1 years 39800 Yen [from including tax] open price was modified (approximately realized price 39000 Yen,) from sale approximately 1 years 3 month later 35000 Yen [was reduced in including tax].

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/04/19/103,1176966471,70506,0,0.html

Brak

DevelopmentArrested said:
Guitar Hero 2 came out.
Big game releases (or lack thereof) haven't had much effect on 360 hardware either for better or worse. The 360 has been oddly consistent for almost a year now.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Brak said:
Big game releases (or lack thereof) haven't had much effect on 360 hardware either for better or worse. The 360 has been oddly consistent for almost a year now.

When I went to pick mine up, the people that preserved it weren't the normal motley crue of people. I think this might have had a help in boosting hardware a bit.

Parl

What's with all of the low PS2 predictions? Bouncing around the 250,000 mark and lots slightly above and below. Because of the amount of people that have this kinda number for PS2, I think I am overlooking something important.

It did 295,000 in Feb. That was a 4 week month. If it sold at the same rate in March, that's 368,750. The interest in PS2 is naturally declining, as we see in Japan, so that number will be hindered because of that, but not by a far cry to reach around 250,000.

Then there's God Of War II. Indeed, just about everybody who wants this game or will buy it already has a PS2, but we still see minor increases in hardware sales in Japan for big title releases in recent months.

I think the slight increase caused by GoWII is enough to counteract some of the inevitable decline in interest of a system slowly being phased out. I think it'll less less per week on average than in Feb, but not by much.

Mar

Vagabundo said:
This makes no sense, why announce you are thinking about it. Either do it or dont do it. People will now wait to see if the price drops.

I think the problem is most people are waiting regardless.

Vagabundo said:
This makes no sense, why announce you are thinking about it. Either do it or dont do it. People will now wait to see if the price drops.

The big problem that Sony have left themselves with is that because the PS3 is region free, they can`t really drop the price big in Japan and leave the other regions intact, because at some point with a totally region free machine grey importing becomes well worth it. Already in Europe the difference is large, but with another Japanese price drop is becomes even bigger.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Mar_ said:
I think the problem is most people are waiting regardless.

Agreed. I just have no intense desire to own a ps3 of my own at this point. The fact that eventually its going to cost less just makes me want to wait. Although it does mean that I have to switch imput ports from my wii and ps2... when I turn the wii on =\

I can't help but laugh at the 360 at 190k or ps3 at 205k. This month wont be particularly different from the last, with the addition of an extra week. GRAW 2 and Guitar Hero did not make a big deal, and neither did motorstorm, I don't believe. We'll see soon. Real soon.

jimbo

Banned
Brak said:

Wow man. Seriously have you ever considered the possibility that it was the CONSISTENT releases of great games that is what made the 360 be so consistent over a year now?

If you have a big game come out basically every month, OF COURSE you're not going to see an improvement, you will only see a decrease when there ISN'T a big game coming out.

jimbo

Banned
Vagabundo said:
So every game is consistently selling as much hardware consistently every month. That seems oddly consistent.

Not exactly. There has been small fluctuations in hardware sales for the 360, but is it really that much of a stretch? If you look at software sales, it makes even more sense. Every game with the exception of GOW(which btw did increase hardware sales) sold in the 350-500k range in its first month....CONSISTENTLY. Oblivion, Saint's Row, Dead Rising, LP, Crackdown....etc.

If we got weekly numbers, you'd see fluctuations and spikes in those specific weeks around game releases just like you do in Japan. I mean seriously, there are hardware spikes aroung games EVERY WEEK in Japan, even for the 360, why would things be any different in the US?

GhaleonEB

Ydahs said:
History?
Let's just say the guy that runs the site is perma-banned from GAF. The numbers on his site are all adjusted by him according to - well, whatever he wants. His numbers won't tie to Media Crate, NPD, or anything else because he applies his guesswork to the data. And in the case of the numbers you cited, he just made them up entirely.

Bringing up the site is literally off-limits in Media Create threads and not encouraged in NPD ones because of this. It's an interesting site, and I do use it on occasion, but it's not at all a reliable source of accurate data.

Top Bottom