• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official TGS 2006 Summary Megathread

Model 500

So, we're heading to the list territory next, suits me.

Amir0x said:
When the most compelling games for Wii are Zelda, a last-gen Gamecube port, and Mario Galaxy (yet another Nintendo game, did you see that coming?) then there's a problem.

Most compelling third party exclusives? Well, er, if that Nintendo event was anything to go by apparently I should be wiggling my balls at Hudson's dreamcast-looking flight game and also shitty looking FPSs from Ubisoft.

I have no problems if you just say that you don't like certain games, but to say that there's no real (you might want to specify this) games out there is just BS.

The most compelling Wii games for me right now are Wii Tennis, Excite Truck, Kororinpa, SMG, Zelda, MP3, Batallion Wars, Red Steel, Trauma Center 2 and WiiPlay. I'll be playing at least 5 of those from the launch. Anyways, 7 of these games are from Nintendo. You're saying that's a problem, ok, for me it isn't. They're all just a bunch of games that interest me greatly, no matter who they're coming from. Forever Blue looks interesting as well.

Now, SMG, Zelda, MP3, BWii and Trauma Center are all sequels. I've no problem with that, they're pretty much all guaranteed to be exceptionally great games. What about Trauma Center, just a DS rehash, I've heard some say? Look up the latest IGN reports of how the Wii version actually _feels_ and think again. Wii Tennis doesn't interest you, ok. I suspect WiiPlay does nothing for you either, no problems, I'm really looking forward to some 2 player Laser Hockey. So yeah, you're saying that's my defence? There is no defence, just different points of view. No need to BS on Wii and siderail the whole thread, just enjoy what you like, man.

Off the top of my head, most compelling third party games for me right now are Red Steel, Kororinpa, Monkey Ball, Elebits, Heroes, Madden, Bleach and Call of Duty 3. Five of these are exclusives.

Again, I expect good things from Red Steel and especially Kororinpa. SMB will be great with the new controls. Elebits is a slight question mark, IGN reports have been promising. Heroes is interesting. Madden will be good fun, and all the reports have been positive about the new control system. Bleach, a question mark, but could be great. CoD should be great and the controls in that vid looked very nice.

That's all good stuff in my book, I'm sure I forgot something as well.

COCKLES

being watched
Lost Planet looks incredible. Gears of What!??!

MGS4 looks like arse, what's with the robotic animation of the enemy soldiers?

Amir0x

Banned
Chris Michael said:
Ugh somebody update the ****ing thread, I just went to sleep for like 6 hours and I have no ****ing idea what I missed.

It has been updated, like a bazillion times

Amir0x

Banned
Chris Michael said:
Last edited by Amir0x : Today at 02:05 AM.

I'm pretty sure alot has happened since 5 hours ago... but hey I wouldn't know since I had to go to sleep. :/

no, trust me a lot has not happened since then (in fact, i think there's only two minor things I forgot to add that i'll do shortly). You may not notice, but there's a TON of media uploaded into the post... they don't appear as seperate stories, they just get added to the blurb in the bulletpoint about the game.

BuddyC

Chris Michael said:
Ugh somebody update the ****ing thread, I just went to sleep for like 6 hours and I have no ****ing idea what I missed.
Perhaps the biggest news is that, at least for Japan, the 20GB PS3 now comes with an HDMI port and carries a lower price tag (49,980 yen [tax included]). Going by today's exhange rates, that means the lower-end PS3 is roughly $430 USD.

However, no word yet if the lowered price will carry over into other markets and territories.

Angelcurio

Ok, i am back into the fight.

3 hours sleep + a big cup of coffee at work.

Did i miss anything? did the new Sony event alrady happenned?

BuddyC

sangreal said:
er, there is word. Sony said they will maintain their price in the US atleast
Really? I'm just waking up to all of this and going by what Sony's posted on their press site. Well, it was a nice dream.

sangreal

from the associated press:

Sony Corp. said Friday it will slash the price of its much-anticipated PlayStation 3 video game console in Japan by 20 percent, heating up the competition in the next-generation gaming war against rivals Microsoft and Nintendo.

The announcement comes just days after Microsoft Corp. announced that it would roll out an external high definition DVD player for its Xbox 360 in an effort to match the PlayStation 3, due to be released in November with its own Blu-ray DVD technology.

Sony Computer Entertainment President Ken Kutaragi, speaking at the Tokyo Game Show in Makuhari, just east of Tokyo, said the move was in response to consumer complaints the upcoming console was too pricey.

Sony will cut the domestic price of its basic PlayStation 3 model to 47,600 yen, or about $410, from an originally planned 59,800 yen, or $515. That puts the PlayStation 3 in the same range as the combined basic Xbox 360 and HD DVD player in Japan, where the duo will sell for 49,600 yen, or $427.

There are no plans to lower prices in the U.S. or other markets, Sony spokeswoman Nanako Kato said. In Japan, the game will hit stores on Nov. 11.

In the U.S., it will go on sale Nov. 17 at $499 for a 20 gigabyte hard drive version and at $599 for the 60 gigabyte version.

The decision could give Sony a badly needed boost at a time of embarrassing delays for the highly anticipated upgrade. Rival Nintendo Co. is also scheduled to release its next-generation Wii gaming system by year's end, while Xbox 360 has been selling in Japan since December 2005.

PlayStation 3, initially planned for earlier this year, has been postponed twice. Sony now expects to ship only 2 million units by year's end instead of an original projection of 4 million.

The price cut affects the basic PlayStation 3 model, which comes with a 20 gigabyte hard drive. Another upscale version of the PlayStation 3 will have a 60 gigabyte hard drive, but Sony is leaving its pricing to retailers.

Xbox 360 was rushed to market last year to get a headstart on its rivals, but it has seen sluggish sales in Japan, which is one of the world's biggest video game markets but one in which players have a deep loyalty to homegrown Sony.

Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft's decision to launch an HD DVD peripheral in Japan on Nov. 22, based on a rival format to Sony's Blu-ray, is seen as one attempt to eat into that base. The basic Xbox 360 doesn't come with any high-definition DVD capability.

Nintendo said last week its new Wii game console will arrive on schedule in the final quarter of the year, priced below both rivals, the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3.
:(

LukeSmith

BuddyC said:
Perhaps the biggest news is that, at least for Japan, the 20GB PS3 now comes with an HDMI port and carries a lower price tag (49,980 yen [tax included]). Going by today's exhange rates, that means the lower-end PS3 is roughly $430 USD.

However, no word yet if the lowered price will carry over into other markets and territories.

Actually, SCEA confirmed to me about 10 hours ago that the price of the PS3 in the US would stay the same.

8:22 PST: If you're concerned about the HDMI inclusion in the 20 GIG version of Sony's PS3, SCEA confirmed to 1UP (after hearing Kutaragi at the press conference) that all versions of the PS3 would have HDMI.

SCEA just revealed to 1UP that the price drop in Japan is for that territory ONLY. The pricing structure in the U.S. has not changed.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Has this been posted yet? Ace Attorny 4 (Phoenix wright, gyakuten saiban..) trailer:
http://media.ds.ign.com/media/827/827856/vids_1.html
Don't like the new music but.. well, right now I'm just hoping for english in the japanese version, is there a release date yet?
Edit: Someone should really add this:
Objection-final(1).gif

to the gif in scoot's avatar, please?

BuddyC

sangreal said:
from the associated press:

:(
Scoot said:
Actually, SCEA confirmed to me about 10 hours ago that the price of the PS3 in the US would stay the same.
Wow, nice to see SCEA responding promptly. Thanks for the updates guys.

KimiSan said:
Has this been posted yet? Ace Attorny 4 (Phoenix wright, gyakuten saiban..) trailer:
http://media.ds.ign.com/media/827/827856/vids_1.html
Don't like the new music but.. well, right now I'm just hoping for english in the japanese version, is there a release date yet?
I think it's just Spring 2007 for the JP version.

Amir0x said:
Seriously, I'm pouring over this list of announced Wii games right now and of the new IPs, the things you can really call "new", I can see maybe TWO interesting titles. And that's just potentially interesting, most likely they'll still suck.

That's the funny thing. Nintendo talks about innovating and creating new games, yet it's Microsoft who's actually accomplishing this. Gears of War, Lost Planet, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Crackdown, etc etc are all new IPs. MS seems bent on making sure the next Halo or the next Final Fantasy is on their system. Nintendo on the other hand? Well they've got tennis, yay!

Where are the new IPs Nintendo bragged about not too long ago? Certainly "games" like Wii Play don't count. Or maybe they had Project HAMMER in mind. My god.. :(

This entire month has been MEH. Outside of Blue Dragon and Lost Planet, I haven't seen anything that has utterly blown me away. And with the Wii, only one game has blown me away (Mario Galaxy).

Frenck

Banned
Wow, I'm still catching up with all the PS3 news. Sony owns TGS this year.

[MKANNOUNCER]PS3 WINS... FATALITY[/MKANNOUNCER]

[MKANNOUNCER]PS3 WINS... FATALITY[/MKANNOUNCER]

Wake up man. You dreamin' again.

Sony has been trying for the past few months... an unsuccesfuly I might add to get thier dick into thier own mouth. Last night and today were just the latest installments of this priceless spectacle.

I, for once am in total agreement with Pheonix (wtf?!) Microsoft is about to catch some crazy traction if they can keep the really varied game-types and themes a-comin' in semi-steady release streams.

Shit, I've always hated them. But now I'm angling to get my hands on one late next year, likely.

Life is hard, and times are a-changin'

Frenck

Banned
KidGalactus said:
Wake up man. You dreamin' again.

Sony has been trying for the past few months... an unsuccesfuly I might add to get thier dick into thier own mouth. Last night and today were just the latest installments of this priceless spectacle.

I, for once am in total agreement with Pheonix (wtf?!) Microsoft is about to catch some crazy traction if they can keep the really varied game-types and themes a-comin' in semi-steady release streams.

Shit, I've always hated them. But now I'm angling to get my hands on one late next year, likely.

Life is hard, and times are a-changin'

I'm just talking about TGS.

Maybe things are going to be different after X06, who knows?

Azih

I think Sony really does listen to negative press then. They've halted their stumbles (in Japan) and MS is back to being the underdog.

Edit: They're going to need ONE CRAZY attach rate now though to turn a profit (including movies of course).

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
UGh Im really starting to wish the DS had failed. I would kill someone for a zelda that looks like the White Knight.

Doc Holliday

Pureauthor said:
???? The DS had what to do with this, exactly?

Have you read the interviews with Iwata and Miyamoto? The DS seems to have influenced the design of the Wii, and for good reason.

Doc Holliday said:
Have you read the interviews with Iwata and Miyamoto? The DS seems to have influenced the design of the Wii, and for good reason.

So... you're blaming the DS for the Wii being underpowered.

...Tell me, do you own a DS yourself?

Doc Holliday

Yes I do, and I love it :) Ill be on line for Wii day one. I'm just going through a little penis envy right now. Metroid Prime and Zelda would benefit so much from Next gen graphics. It's a phase, I'll be waggling along with grandma and the mailman like everyone else :p

Back on topic:

I wish Konami had more to show besides MGS and Elebits. I was hoping they would revive a few more franchises for TGS.

Doc Holliday said:
Yes I do, and I love it :) Ill be on line for Wii day one. I'm just going through a little penis envy right now. Metroid Prime and Zelda would benefit so much from Next gen graphics. It's a phase, I'll be waggling along with grandma and the mailman like everyone else :p

Huh. Fair enough. However, my wallet has first priority over 'next-gen' graphics, so... guess I'm in the same boat as you.

COCKLES said:
MGS4 looks like arse, what's with the robotic animation of the enemy soldiers?
animation is always the most overlooked element in games and I'm glad to see that there are people who notice stiff robot animations with lack of transitions from state to state.
it was the 1st thing negative that popped into my head about MGS4 and it made me lose respect points for them.

being an animator myself makes seeing bad animation more critical

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
John Harker said:
Wasn't Marvelous suppose to have something on HEROES?

We didn't get anything?

From what i understand Hertos is not to be shown to the public until SUda 51 feels it is ready to be shown.

Top Bottom