• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official TGS 2006 Summary Megathread

jj984jj said:
But it's only 1 game. I'm definitely buying a Wii for it, but Nintendo better hope they can score some big 3rd party exclusives to along with their 1st party line-up or Wii will be pretty useless.

..I was being sarcastic.

It does look fun, though

bigfurb

jko said:
And I have, and honestly the new IPs that are coming out for the X360 are more than enough to trump any SDF doubters, and that's not even mentioning games by Mistwalker. PS3's games are nothing mroe than rehashes of sequels and are tired. Aside from the slightly better graphics than the X360, I'd imagine the gameplay for games like FF13 not looking amusingly promising...and FF13 have 6 of them to boot...on different platforms that have yet been confirmed.
Now i know you haven't been watching the videos. PS3 games are nothing more than rehashes of sequels huh. I don't remember there being any prequels to games like Lair, Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm, Resistance and White Knight Story (which all look extremely promising by the way and easily stand up to any new IPs on the 360 that get you all excited). Combine those hot looking new games with those "tired, rehashed sequels" that most sane gamers believe will be great games, and the pS3 is looking mighty fine in the SW dept. But something tells me that even if all those sony games got nothing but high praises and critical acclaim you still wouldn't be impressed. Just a hunch

Model 500

Amirox said:
That, uhm, Nintendo needs to get up in step and show some real ****ing games instead of Xbox ports and mini-game fests before people are sold on the concept.

:lol

Before people are sold to the concept? I think they're doing more than fine in that regard, take a look at all the hands on reports and all the mass market media coverage and see what's the general consensus on Wii.

Also, there was many "real" games playable in all the 3 Nintendo conferences. You really want me to make a list for you? Open your eyes to the real world Amirox.

All 3 companies have shown many games, that's the reality people. Chill out and enjoy what you like.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Nintendo "we're about games"

*shows weather and news apps*

Sony and Microsoft "we're about games"

*38732718476358354758172527358715328 games shown*

260px-Luke_Skywalker_Ep6_DVD.jpg

Search your feelings, Amir0x, you can't do this. I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate.

Tr4nce

After all these new TGS trailers & video's I have one thing to say:

I can not wait for the first screens from GTA 4!!!!!!!!!1

Imagine!!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, seems to be a good time to mention that Joystiq.com has some hands-on impressions of Ridge Racer 7, Devil May Cry 4, and Coded Arms: Assault, no prizes for guessing which game is looking to suck.

http://www.joystiq.com/

AniHawk

Shard said:
Right, seems to be a good time to mention that Joystiq.com has some hands-on impressions of Ridge Racer 7, Devil May Cry 4, and Coded Arms: Assault, no prizes for guessing which game is looking to suck.

http://www.joystiq.com/

Well it can't be the Konami one, because all they've ever produced is gold.

Ri
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
dge Racer?

Amir0x

Banned
Model 500 said:
:lol

Before people are sold to the concept? I think they're doing more than fine in that regard, take a look at all the hands on reports and all the mass market media coverage and see what's the general consensus on Wii.

Also, there was many "real" games playable in all the 3 Nintendo conferences. You really want me to make a list for you? Open your eyes to the real world Amirox.

All 3 companies have shown many games, that's the reality people. Chill out and enjoy what you like.

oh, I know exactly every single game that was shown. It is precisely cause of the atrocious showing that my comments are born. But you're right - enjoy what you like. 'Cause that's basically the only defense.

Amir0x said:
That, uhm, Nintendo needs to get up in step and show some real ****ing games instead of Xbox ports and mini-game fests before people are sold on the concept. Because Sony and MS ****ing delivered.

I think I love you.

Model 500

Amir0x said:
oh, I know exactly every single game that was shown. It is precisely cause of the atrocious showing that my comments are born. But you're right - enjoy what you like. 'Cause that's basically the only defense.

Yep, thought so, just makes me wonder about your comments even more. There is a good amount of "real" games for the Wii, even for the launch day. Btw. enjoying games is no defence of any kind. Looks like Wii is not offering you the kind of games you like right now, all good, but really, your statement was far from the truth. Chill out and enjoy the games, no need for bullshitting.

If you really want to get into this, I'm here for you.

Amir0x

Banned
Model 500 said:
Yep, thought so, just makes me wonder about your comments even more. There is a good amount of "real" games for the Wii, even for the launch day. Btw. enjoying games is no defence of any kind. Looks like Wii is not offering you the kind of games you like right now, all good, but really, your statement was far from the truth. Chill out and enjoy the games, no need for bullshitting.

When the most compelling games for Wii are Zelda, a last-gen Gamecube port, and Mario Galaxy (yet another Nintendo game, did you see that coming?) then there's a problem.

Most compelling third party exclusives? Well, er, if that Nintendo event was anything to go by apparently I should be wiggling my balls at Hudson's dreamcast-looking flight game and also shitty looking FPSs from Ubisoft.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
3rd party games didn't matter for DS and they aren't going to matter much for Wii. Nintendo learned the lesson from gamecube and fixed it by just expanding their own game production capabilities as well as funding lots of 2nd party games. Not a problem.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
OMGZORRZ!

I'm so busy right now - what timing. Just wanted to ask - didn't Eurogamer or some such site say that SCEE is holding a media event later this evening, apparently, to let local journalists see some of what's going down in Tokyo? So there may be more coverage via that later asides from TGS reportage, if I didn't imagine that.

But umm..yeah, I'm amazed by virtually every game I'm seeing. I'm sure I'll come back later when I have time to bump every thread with an OMG :p

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
When the most compelling games for Wii are Zelda, a last-gen Gamecube port, and Mario Galaxy (yet another Nintendo game, did you see that coming?) then there's a problem.

Most compelling third party exclusives? Well, er, if that Nintendo event was anything to go by apparently I should be wiggling my balls at Hudson's dreamcast-looking flight game and also shitty looking FPSs from Ubisoft.

What about Elebits. You were salivating over that even when it was first unveiled looking like Chibi-Robo or some other Dreamcast game.

The only nextgen system that's actually going to have compelling software this year will be the 360. A lot of the kickass PS3 and Wii titles are set for 2007 and beyond (only because I'm including FFXIII).

And apparently third parties were extremely slow on the uptake. You're seeing a lot of PS3 stuff because well, they had faith in the system over the next Nintendo. These are games that have been in the making for over a year. UbiSoft and Midway's stuff (Mortal Kombat :lol) are quick port jobs because they didn't see the Wii as a viable system. 2007 will be the year when all the good shit hits. MGS4, SSBB, SMG, WKS (please?), Lost Odyssey (outside Japan), Lost Planet, etc... Just hold out a bit dude. It hasn't even started yet.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Model 500 said:

Hope you have some time to kill, AMi can get into this if he want to, oh boy.

jiggle

gofreak said:
OMGZORRZ!

I'm so busy right now - what timing. Just wanted to ask - didn't Eurogamer or some such site say that SCEE is holding a media event later this evening, apparently, to let local journalists see some of what's going down in Tokyo? So there may be more coverage via that later asides from TGS reportage, if I didn't imagine that.

But umm..yeah, I'm amazed by virtually every game I'm seeing. I'm sure I'll come back later when I have time to bump every thread with an OMG :p

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4386201&postcount=1748

yeap^^

crossing my fingers on some surprises XD

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
What about Elebits. You were salivating over that even when it was first unveiled looking like Chibi-Robo or some other Dreamcast game.

I was, until I saw more of it. Seems to be a trend. Now it still appears to be a glorified tech demo, the "Feel the Magic" of the Wii launch if you will.

AniHawk said:
And apparently third parties were extremely slow on the uptake. You're seeing a lot of PS3 stuff because well, they had faith in the system over the next Nintendo. These are games that have been in the making for over a year. UbiSoft and Midway's stuff (Mortal Kombat :lol) are quick port jobs because they didn't see the Wii as a viable system. 2007 will be the year when all the good shit hits. MGS4, SSBB, SMG, WKS (please?), Lost Odyssey (outside Japan), Lost Planet, etc... Just hold out a bit dude. It hasn't even started yet.

Right, but see all those 2007 games? 2008 games? PS3 isn't out yet, and I already know so much about the amazing software in the pipeline. Nintendo has done exactly zero to show what i should be anticipating, outside of yet MORE games in the same old franchises they make and maybe a Squareenix FF:CC sequel.

Amir0x said:
Right, but see all those 2007 games? 2008 games? PS3 isn't out yet, and I already know so much about the amazing software in the pipeline. Nintendo has done exactly zero to show what i should be anticipating, outside of yet MORE games in the same old franchises they make and maybe a Squareenix FF:CC sequel.

But... isn't the majority of hypeup games on the PS3 sequels? I mean, aside from Heavenly Sword and the new White Knight story... what else is there? Am I missing something?

jko

Pureauthor said:
But... isn't the majority of hypeup games on the PS3 sequels? I mean, aside from Heavenly Sword and the new White Knight story... what else is there? Am I missing something?
no, you're not missing anything. its Amirox and his blatant hate towards Nintendo that's blind his judgement as a mod.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jiggle said:

Oh, ok, thanks. I'm kind of confused now! I'll catch up later. Although what Eurogamer seemed to be referring to was a Euro event for journalists there.

I'm kind of confused on the conference front now though. But I'm glad I had my "more looking forward to the games at the show than the conference" philosophy :p Seems it worked out quite well..

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Pureauthor said:

It helps if you Take Amitron's hype and rants with a great mountain of salt, maybe even a little pointing and laughing, that is how it is taken at The Bridge and it is not unreasonable given the tunnel vision and hyperbole invovled.

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:

I don't care if they're all sequels. I'll take sequels to incredible games over horrific cheap low-budget crap any day.

But, that's beside the point - there's a balancing act on both PS3 and 360 that has sequels AND new titles. Stuff like Motorstorm, Resistance, White Knight, L.A. Noire, Naughty Dog's new IP compliments the big timers like MGS4, DMC4, VF5, FFXIII and Gran Turismo 5. It all collaborates to form an extremely compelling lineup. The only thing holding back, naturally, is the price itself.

Wii is a combination. The price isn't near as shocking as PS3's - I can afford it, and so I will - but it has almost none of the software.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
I was, until I saw more of it. Seems to be a trend. Now it still appears to be a glorified tech demo, the "Feel the Magic" of the Wii launch if you will.

I knew you were crazy for wanting it. I WARNED YEH.

The Wii does have a lot of good software coming out. Fegod, Sonic, two Marios, SSBB, Pik- oh wait. But you get the idea. I know you don't find it particularly compelling, but just because I'm down on racers, I don't think Motorstorm or RR7 will suck. It still means that Wii will be getting a lot of really good games.

What's interesting is that Nintendo's showing all their big stuff early. Hopefully this means they have even bigger plans for late next year and beyond. What I hope it doesn't mean is that they'll pull a GC Redux and spread the releases through the year sprinkled with the occasional 3rd party release.

I don't care if they're all sequels. I'll take sequels to incredible games over horrific cheap low-budget crap any day.

Bitch, please. You're down on Mario Galaxy because it's *just another Mario game* Fepor was an amazing game, yet you don't even think the sequel is a worthy mention.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
The Wii does have a lot of good software coming out. Fegod, Sonic, two Marios, SSBB, Pik- oh wait. But you get the idea. I know you don't find it particularly compelling, but just because I'm down on racers, I don't think Motorstorm or RR7 will suck. It still means that Wii will be getting a lot of really good games.

Fegod?

Uhm, but that's the thing... almost all the 'compelling' titles are from Nintendo. Yet again, Wii is becoming nothing but a 'Nintendo box.' And not to mention, what else did they do? They didn't come up with really fresh idea, they ported the BRAIN AGE concept from DS and created some cheap shallow sports mini-games. As I mentioned in another thread, I have lately come to rely far more on third parties because Nintendo has started focusing on products I simply do not enjoy. And if this trend shifts even more dramatically, then by the end of Wii's life I might really be up the creek with my investment.

As you know, my most anticipated Wii games are Fire Emblem, Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime III. And that's basically it (until I see Super Paper Mario, then maybe I'll add that). But they're all Nintendo games.

Amir0x

Banned
Shard said:
How could Super Paper mario be off your list Ami?

I want to see exactly what they changed for the Wii version. You know, always gotta be careful with this control scheme thing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Amir0x said:
I want to see exactly what they changed for the Wii version. You know, always gotta be careful with this control scheme thing.

Fair enough, though if there is anybody to believe in it is Intelligent Systems.

Amir0x said:

Now you're just justifying your tag. :lol

But, that's beside the point - there's a balancing act on both PS3 and 360 that has sequels AND new titles. Stuff like Motorstorm, Resistance, White Knight, L.A. Noire, Naughty Dog's new IP compliments the big timers like MGS4, DMC4, VF5, FFXIII and Gran Turismo 5. It all collaborates to form an extremely compelling lineup. The only thing holding back, naturally, is the price itself.

Wii is a combination. The price isn't near as shocking as PS3's - I can afford it, and so I will - but it has almost none of the software.

It's not as if Nintendo isn't getting new IPs. Red Steel for one. (Which according to impressions is much improved from E3).

Uhm, but that's the thing... almost all the 'compelling' titles are from Nintendo. Yet again, Wii is becoming nothing but a 'Nintendo box.' And not to mention, what else did they do? They didn't come up with really fresh idea, they ported the BRAIN AGE concept from DS and created some cheap shallow sports mini-games. As I mentioned in another thread, I have lately come to rely far more on third parties because Nintendo has started focusing on products I simply do not enjoy. And if this trend shifts even more dramatically, then by the end of Wii's life I might really be up the creek with my investment.

Now here's the part I simply don't understand. Ninty IPs are starting to lose their luster for you. Fair enough. You're worried about the direction their software is going. Fair enough.

So why are you getting a Wii? Like you said, it's a risky investment, and based on what I've read, you have a grand total of three games you want to play on it. And thus, buying a Wii is sending a signal to Nintendo that you're willing to slap down the money for no more than 3 games that are compelling to you. You're basically giving them the green light to continue to focus on their minigames and 'nongames'.

So, really, this act is incomprehensible to me.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Fegod?

As you know, my most anticipated Wii games are Fire Emblem, Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime III. And that's basically it (until I see Super Paper Mario, then maybe I'll add that). But they're all Nintendo games.

Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn. Fegod. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Fepor.

I think only EAD is really the only part of Nintendo that's been moving away. They're always the ones that have been told to come up with new ideas. That doesn't mean all the other games just stopped existing though. They're adding to their lineup. Would you care if Luigi's Mansion 2 was there instead of Wii Sports? No. Probably not. Their main games are going to stick around, and this business of "going in a direction I don't like" is really just a bunch of hot air. Honestly. The games are cheap, quick, and don't take a lot of time to make.

If the Wii was another Gamecube affair, if it was a big ol' step up, where would the support come from? The GC had more power than the PS2, yet developers stopped supporting it two years into its lifespan. There would have been little-to-no compelling reason to create anything interesting for their next system, and it would have withered and died incredibly quickly.

Shard: It's... Intelligent Systems.

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
It's not as if Nintendo isn't getting new IPs. Red Steel for one. (Which according to impressions is much improved from E3).

That's a mighty short list you got there. I know about Red Steel, but I'll keep my opinion on that game for another time.

Pureauthor said:
So why are you getting a Wii? Like you said, it's a risky investment, and based on what I've read, you have a grand total of three games you want to play on it. And thus, buying a Wii is sending a signal to Nintendo that you're willing to slap down the money for no more than 3 games that are compelling to you. You're basically giving them the green light to continue to focus on their minigames and 'nongames'.

So, really, this act is incomprehensible to me.

Because just those three games are from some of my all time favorite franchises. I'm not gonna avoid them because the rest of the system is pants at the moment. If nothing else, Wii will become my secondary or third system again and it'll have some nice moments but that won't mean it's a particularly good system.

Monk

Banned
AniHawk said:
I knew you were crazy for wanting it. I WARNED YEH.

What's interesting is that Nintendo's showing all their big stuff early. Hopefully this means they have even bigger plans for late next year and beyond. What I hope it doesn't mean is that they'll pull a GC Redux and spread the releases through the year sprinkled with the occasional 3rd party release.

Agreed. But I think that it is up to the third parties to give decent games to the wii. If they give crap, they get crap sales. But I got to say Seg's support of the Wii is what the standard of third part stuff should be at.

That said there are a ton of stuff coming from third parties that havent been revealed yet.

Well for me from an RPG perspective anyway.
Camelot RPG RPG Wii Features Feb 8, 2006
Namco New RPG [untitled] RPG Wii
Namco Wii Project [untitled] RPG Wii
Koei New RPG [untitled] RPG Wii
Konami RPG [untitled]
From Action RPG<- hoping its a new lost kingdoms game.

I dont think that it will be a GC Redux though, they are doing everything possible to make sure their games are actually nintendo quality this time, not the sub par stuff like on the GC.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:

What if the game played like the NES SMB games, only with a boost in the jump if you jerked the controller to the side?

I think it would be the best game of all-time.

AniHawk

Monk said:
Agreed. But I think that it is up to the third parties to give decent games to the wii. If they give crap, they get crap sales. But I got to say Seg's support of the Wii is what the standard of third part stuff should be at.

That said there are a ton of stuff coming from third parties that havent been revealed yet.

Well for me from an RPG perspective anyway.
Camelot RPG RPG Wii Features Feb 8, 2006
Namco New RPG [untitled] RPG Wii
Namco Wii Project [untitled] RPG Wii
Koei New RPG [untitled] RPG Wii
Konami RPG [untitled]
From Action RPG<- hoping its a new lost kingdoms game.

I dont think that it will be a GC Redux though, they are doing everything possible to make sure their games are actually nintendo quality this time, not the sub par stuff like on the GC.

...Not sure if that Camelot game will ever come to fruition. Wasn't the Namco RPG actually Sword of Legendia?

I mean, what reason would SE or Capcom or Midway have to support the Wii if it wasn't doing anything different? The system would by default BE a 'Nintendo box'

Amir0x said:
That's a mighty short list you got there. I know about Red Steel, but I'll keep my opinion on that game for another time.

I'm not going to go into an episode of list wars. You and I both know the Wii has new IPs coming out for it. It may not be []ienough for you, but to deny isn't helping your credibility.

Because just those three games are from some of my all time favorite franchises. I'm not gonna avoid them because the rest of the system is pants at the moment. If nothing else, Wii will become my secondary or third system again and it'll have some nice moments but that won't mean it's a particularly good system.

Then I suggest you grow to like minigames if you want the most out of the Wii. :D

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
I'm not going to go into an episode of list wars. You and I both know the Wii has new IPs coming out for it. It may not be ienough for you, but to deny isn't helping your credibility.

Seriously, I'm pouring over this list of announced Wii games right now and of the new IPs, the things you can really call "new", I can see maybe TWO interesting titles. And that's just potentially interesting, most likely they'll still suck.

but you're right, list wars will get us no where

Pureauthor said:
Then I suggest you grow to like minigames if you want the most out of the Wii. :D

Well it won't happen, but there's no reason to celebrate if that's all Wii is good for.

Monk

Banned
AniHawk said:
...Not sure if that Camelot game will ever come to fruition. Wasn't the Namco RPG actually Sword of Legendia?

I mean, what reason would SE or Capcom or Midway have to support the Wii if it wasn't doing anything different? The system would by default BE a 'Nintendo box'

I am not sure on the first question, i just copied and pasted the rpg section of the game lists at ign :p.

As for the Nintendo box thing, i think it is a case of the over reaction to the controller at E3 2k5. That made devs jump on board. But SE was supporting Nintendo even then, so it confuses me why they are supporting the system when they could easily make risky games for the PS2.

Amir0x

Banned
Monk said:
As for the Nintendo box thing, i think it is a case of the over reaction to the controller at E3 2k5. That made devs jump on board. But SE was supporting Nintendo even then, so it confuses me why they are supporting the system when they could easily make risky games for the PS2.

I'm sure once the system is a success - and like I said, I expect Wii to dominate - third parties will start bringing some truly compelling software to the table. That's the secondary reason I invest in Wii, because like DS I find it's an inevitability now that the success will force many compelling games at the end. My argument is just that it is not there now, which is in sharp contrast to 360 and PS3.

This is why DS is saved for me, because at the end of the day it has Megaman ZX and Castlevania: PoR.

AniHawk

Monk said:
I am not sure on the first question, i just copied and pasted the rpg section of the game lists at ign :p.

Who knows what happened at TGS in October 2001, but that was when Yamauchi met with the Square guys. Pretty sure that's what led to the decision to start supporting Nintendo stuff again (the day Hell froze over). It was probably a stipulation that was "you can make games for our more successful system, sure, but you need to make games for our console too."

I don't think SE is gonna care if they make two games on the Wii if that means they can make a dozen on the DS that make them lots of money. Lots and lots.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
I'm sure once the system is a success - and like I said, I expect Wii to dominate - third parties will start bringing some truly compelling software to the table. That's the secondary reason I invest in Wii, because like DS I find it's an inevitability now that the success will force many compelling games at the end. My argument is just that it is not there now, which is in sharp contrast to 360 and PS3.

This is why DS is saved for me, because at the end of the day it has Megaman ZX and Castlevania: PoR.

And let's not forget all the SE goodies.

Top Bottom