• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official TGS 2006 Summary Megathread

Amir0x

Banned
Nintendo "we're about games"

*shows weather and news apps*

Sony and Microsoft "we're about games"

*38732718476358354758172527358715328 games shown*

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Amir0x said:

So the hyperbole police gave you an early release then?

Kandinsky

Amir0x said:

<insert dawson's creek dude pic here>

Amir0x

Banned
Shard said:
What the hell are you talking about?

That, uhm, Nintendo needs to get up in step and show some real ****ing games instead of Xbox ports and mini-game fests before people are sold on the concept. Because Sony and MS ****ing delivered.

Chiggs

Amir0x said:
That, uhm, Nintendo needs to get up in step and show some real ****ing games instead of Xbox ports and mini-game fests before people are sold on the concept. Because Sony and MS ****ing delivered.

Amen.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Amir0x said:

Oh right, games for the Amirox demographic. Though the reality of the situation if you really want it is that nobody, especally you will be able to afford next-gen.

Amir0x said:

i really don't see how they deivered, MS yes, Sony hell ****ing, no besides MGS 4 nothing screams buy the system for me, no one should scream resistance( for me FPS are for pc ,kb/M), iI see nothing worth my money, this gen I think MS has proved more than anyone else that the want my money with nintendo next for the pure fact, it won't be the same old button smashing shit, Sony and their overpriced ready to break garbage can wait till several price drops.

temjin

Banned
I was hoping Nintendo would blow me away with awesome amounts of great games, but I was severely disappointed. Like Amir0x said, we were shown functions of teh Wii rather than games. That's all good and dandy, but come on. Microsoft/Sony just showed Nintendo what they should have done - BRING THE GODDAMN GAMES!

I'll be purchasing a Wii day one, they have a few good games out on launch with, obviously some big names coming later on. However, Sony and Microsoft are bringing a lot of new original games to the table, and it's not just that... The majority of the games are looking damned awesome.

Right now, Wii has the advantage of being something new and different in the gaming arena, but that can only last so long in the gaming world. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that there will be many great games coming to Wii. However, Sony and Microsoft are doing that from the get go (I'll be fair, X360 has been on the market for a year now and has a handful of great games), and there doesn't seem to be any slowing down in that respect.

I don't know, I love the idea of Wii, but I am a gamer at heart, and MSoft and Sony seem to be dead serious with the amount of quality games they release and keeping a steady flow coming in.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I wouldn't go that far, there has been some impressive stuff shown tonight, but it does seem that the PS3 will not be a truly worthwile purchase until at least late 2007.

Chiggs said:
Requisite Incendiary Comment:

After watching all this amazing footage, does anyone get the feeling that the Wii might be, well, in trouble?
IN your dreams, I will say it again Wii wil win in japan and it all about preception, a casual is not willing to pay 600 for a console no matter what tech is in there, but 250 is a great price as long as the preceived value is there, especially seen its motion tech, which most people will thing is expensive tech but for just $250. That is where the Wii will win I will agree withthe japanese analyst that said PS3 will sell withmore price drops in 2007 or 2008

temjin said:
Big Nintendo fan here, I was hoping Nintendo would blow me away with awesome amounts of great games, but I was severely disappointed. Like Amir0x said, we were shown functions of teh Wii rather than games. That's all good and dandy, but come on. Microsoft/Sony just showed Nintendo what they should have done - BRING THE GODDAMN GAMES!

I'll be purchasing a Wii day one, they have a few good games out on launch with, obviously some big names coming later on. However, Sony and Microsoft are bringing a lot of new original games to the table, and it's not just that... The majority of the games are looking damned awesome.

Right now, Wii has the advantage of being something new and different in the gaming arena, but that can only last so long in the gaming world. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that there will be many great games coming to Wii. However, Sony and Microsoft are doing that from the get go (I'll be fair, X360 has been on the market for a year now and has a handful of great games), and there doesn't seem to be any slowing down in that respect.

I don't know, I love the idea of Wii, but I am a gamer at heart, and MSoft and Sony seem to be dead serious with the amount of quality games they release and keeping a steady flow coming in.
I will agree to a point 360 been out for a year with really nothing to show for it, first game to hit 1 million was call of duty 2 also the seperation between quality titles have been far and few between, call of duty and pgr3 at lunch, then after a while ghost recon, then after months later, dead rasing if ou have a HD set. I mean at most that is 3 games worth the purchase of 400 dollars. not a quality investment to me even though i made it myself.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
temjin said:
I was hoping Nintendo would blow me away with awesome amounts of great games, but I was severely disappointed. Like Amir0x said, we were shown functions of teh Wii rather than games. That's all good and dandy, but come on. Microsoft/Sony just showed Nintendo what they should have done - BRING THE GODDAMN GAMES!

Been looking for a place to insert this feature.

http://notatrueending.insidepulse.com/articles/60914

Avutta1978 said:
i really don't see how they deivered, MS yes, Sony hell ****ing, no besides MGS 4 nothing screams buy the system for me, no one should scream resistance( for me FPS are for pc ,kb/M), iI see nothing worth my money, this gen I think MS has proved more than anyone else that the want my money with nintendo next for the pure fact, it won't be the same old button smashing shit, Sony and their overpriced ready to break garbage can wait till several price drops.

You're obviously not watching any videos.

My Arms Your Hearse said:
You're obviously not watching any videos.
I have watched the video, and I am nto easily impresse dby cool looking graphics, don't get me wrong i love my graphics, but i buy game si find enjoyable, and i will wait for ingame footage rather than trailer

jko

Amir0x said:

what the....this is a joke, nothing more, nothing less...
move along people, nothing to see here. >_>

jko

Amir0x said:
oh there's something to see. RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS WOO
you mean the one for your precious X360??
liek i said, move along, nothing amusing from Amirox... >_>

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
jko said:

Let him have his high before the crushing realization that he will not be able to afford the next-gen he wants unless he sells off a few major organs.

jko

Shard said:
Let him have his high before the crushing realization that he will not be able to afford the next-gen he wants unless he sells off a few major organs.
true that, and to boot, a year from now realising the precious $600+ piece of paperweight of his will have all the exclusives removed from it.

Amir0x

Banned
jko said:

No, the one on no system because it's a horrific mini-game shitfest.

jko said:
true that, and to boot, a year from now realising the precious $600+ piece of paperweight of his will have all the exclusives removed from it.

Where will my 360 and PS3 games be ported? Wii? Yeah, I'm sure that'll work out preachy :lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
temjin said:
Shard + Jko = Stupid love birds.

I am not calling the PS3 useless or anything, despite Sony's attempts and complete and utter failure that system of thiers finally showed off some potential. I just don't let my brain get swelled up with useless hype.

jko

Amir0x said:
No, the one on no system because it's a horrific mini-game shitfest.

Where will my 360 and PS3 games be ported? Wii? Yeah, I'm sure that'll work out preachy :lol
i never said 'ported'....i said REMOVED. get it right.

madhtr

jj984jj said:
For whatever reason Nintendo is only supporting the DS.
They're probably expecting more Gamecube-like sales from the Wii, and it's not like they have to push the DS to sell it.

Amir0x

Banned
jko said:

removed to where? To what? what are you even saying?

Sony and MS delivered TONS of huge exclusives that Wii simply isn't even in the same stratosphere as. It's easy to confuse this as trolling, but that's the absolute truth. It's astonishing how big the gap is when you have context, and boy did this night ever give context.

madhtr

jko said:
Yeah, can't wait to see Capcom cancel Devil May Cry, Konami cancel Metal Gear Solid, and of course Square Enix cancel the main Final Fantasy series.

Now we can all expect more Nickelodeon licenses and mini-game games such as Wii Sports and Warioware. If only they had some good RPGs.... You know, the kind that companies aren't scared to even show a trailer for.

Amir0x said:
removed to where? To what? what are you even saying?

Sony and MS delivered TONS of huge exclusives that Wii simply isn't even in the same stratosphere as. It's easy to confuse this as trolling, but that's the absolute truth. It's astonishing how big the gap is when you have context, and boy did this night ever give context.
i understand your plight, but i also see it as been an untested system, which is why you will initailly see ports, and they will move from there one. I think people will be suprised whne the Wii will be another ds success in the making.

temjin

Banned
Shard said:
I am not calling the PS3 useless or anything, despite Sony's attempts and complete and utter failure that system of thiers finally showed off some potential. I just don't let my brain get swelled up with useless hype.

What?

But you let Wii's hype cloud your judgement? Sony and Microsoft are doing everything right when it comes to the games. I don't see the problem here. Wii is great, I love the idea, however, gaming is about games, and Sony and Microsoft are a whole level over Wii in that regard at this very moment. Nintendo showed functionality as the primary feature, games second, whilst Sony and Microsoft did the opposite and continue to do so.

jko

Amir0x said:
hmmm...i have looked at the list for all 3 platforms Ami....i dunno~...i'd have to say i'm very pleased with X360's lineup, but to say the PS3 have to same amount of caliber software is a joke. period. and Wii is getting tons of support, i dont even know why you are denying this. >_>

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
My Arms Your Hearse said:
C'mon, guys, Mario Galaxy is easily the equal of the best stuff shown for PS3 and 360 so far.
But it's only 1 game. I'm definitely buying a Wii for it, but Nintendo better hope they can score some big 3rd party exclusives to along with their 1st party line-up or Wii will be pretty useless.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
temjin said:
What?

But you let Wii's hype cloud your judgement? Sony and Microsoft are doing everything right when it comes to the games. I don't see the problem here. Wii is great, I love the idea, however, gaming is about games, and Sony and Microsoft are a whole level over Wii in that regard at this very moment. Nintendo showed functionality as the primary feature, games second, whilst Sony and Microsoft did the opposite and continue to do so.

Well, first off, you assume that I am completely convinced that the Wii is going to completely work out with its guidelines and I am not convinced of their "next/new generational" plans either. Now you say gaming is about games, and I would agree with that, you might want to remind Sony of that, or at least the mangement staff since they seemed to have forgotten it.
The eye candy dispalyed today didn't make me all of a sudden forget Sony last 4 months of screw-up nor the terrible, terrible keynote speech where games seemed to be, well, about the least important part of the machine. Microsoft's XBOX 360 has been out close to a year with not a whole lot to show for it. As I keep stating I don't go crazy go nuts over shiny and spiffy graphical prowess.

Amir0x

Banned
jko said:
hmmm...i have looked at the list for all 3 platforms Ami....i dunno~...i'd have to say i'm very pleased with X360's lineup, but to say the PS3 have to same amount of caliber software is a joke. period. and Wii is getting tons of support, i dont even know why you are denying this. >_>

Do you even listen to yourself talk? Take a ****ing peak at the Wii lineup - it's filled with Xbox ports and shitty shoehorned controls and shallow mini-game fests parading as full priced engagements. This IS reality for Wii. Even Biohazard Wii, which I gotta assume is about the 'biggest' thing any dev has really dedicated to the system at this point outside of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles 2, is just a ****ing rehash of the ancient Resident Evil games yet again. And what does PS3 and 360 get? A true blue, sequel to one of the greatest games ever RE4. What does PS3 get? Well, the mere fact it has Final Fantasy XIII - one of the biggest franchises in the world - exclusive should tell you what. Then you pile on shit like DMC4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Virtua Fighter 5, White Knight Tale, etc ad naseum and the amount of stunning turn-around first and second party titles and you're just scratching the surface. And what of 360? Microsoft is bending over backwards to give real gamers what this whole thing is all about - beautiful, compelling gaming experiences that rival anything on any platform. And it doesn't need silly shit, it just needs to show that the games are gonna be great. Lost Odyssey, Trusty Bell, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery... and that's just jRPGs.

Wii has potential, no doubt. But as I said, TGS showed just how far Nintendo is behind the competition. And I have no reason to have faith, outside of owning yet another "Nintendo box."

jko

Amir0x said:
Do you even listen to yourself talk? Take a ****ing peak at the Wii lineup - it's filled with Xbox ports and shitty shoehorned controls and shallow mini-game fests parading as full priced engagements. This IS reality for Wii. Even Biohazard Wii, which I gotta assume is about the 'biggest' thing any dev has really dedicated to the system at this point outside of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles 2, is just a ****ing rehash of the ancient Resident Evil games yet again. And what does PS3 and 360 get? A true blue, sequel to one of the greatest games ever RE4. What does PS3 get? Well, the mere fact it has Final Fantasy XIII - one of the biggest franchises in the world - exclusive should tell you what. Then you pile on shit like DMC4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Virtua Fighter 5, White Knight Tale, etc ad naseum and the amount of stunning turn-around first and second party titles and you're just scratching the surface. And what of 360? Microsoft is bending over backwards to give real gamers what this whole thing is all about - beautiful, compelling gaming experiences that rival anything on any platform. And it doesn't need silly shit, it just needs to show that the games are gonna be great. Lost Odyssey, Trusty Bell, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery... and that's just jRPGs.

Wii has potential, no doubt. But as I said, TGS showed just how far Nintendo is behind the competition. And I have no reason to have faith, outside of owning yet another "Nintendo box."
wait wait calm down for a second, now im not gonna get into an arguement with the X360's line up as you're absolutely right, I can't wait. but look at the stabs you made at Nintendo, 'rehash of the ancient games'. NOW, that's wrong on 2 levels. first of all, and i'm not sure what you really are trying to convey here, if you say REWii are rehashes, i'm not sure by what merits you say that. second, if you claim spinoffs/sequels/upgrades or what not are REHASHES of ancient series, take a look at the games you listed for the PS3. Just take a look before you jump to conclusions. look, I understand that you 'delight' in good graphics, but that's not the arguements you've made so far here...unless you say "OMG i like the PS3 games cuz the graphics are so gooood, screw the Wii", I don't buy it.

temjin

Banned
Shard said:
Well, first off, you assume that I am completely convinced that the Wii is going to completely work out with its guidelines and I am not convinced of their "next/new generational" plans either. Now you say gaming is about games, and I would agree with that, you might want to remind Sony of that, or at least the mangement staff since they seemed to have forgotten it.
The eye candy dispalyed today didn't make me all of a sudden forget Sony last 4 months of screw-up nor the terrible, terrible keynote speech where games seemed to be, well, about the least important part of the machine. Microsoft's XBOX 360 has been out close to a year with not a whole lot to show for it. As I keep stating I don't go crazy go nuts over shiny and spiffy graphical prowess.
And, you're assuming that I'm going crazy over eyecandy, which is certainly not the case. And guess what, the games Sony is showing and has shown certainly makes up for horrible speeches in the past. You know why? It's not about speeches, it's about the games...

I don't know why you're so cynical towards Sony. Playstation 3 has the games, as does Xbox 360. It's a fact. A HUGE fact that cannot be denied.

bigfurb

jko said:
Stop looking at lists and start looking at these games man. If you can look at all this great PS3 media released tonight and say with a straight face that sony isn't showing some high quality software, then you need to slap on your XDF badge with pride and call Bill and tell him to make sure your cheque is in the mail

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
temjin said:
And, you're assuming that I'm going crazy over eyecandy, which is certainly not the case. And guess what, the games Sony is showing and has shown certainly makes up for horrible speeches in the past. You know why? It's not about speeches, it's about the games...

I don't know why you're so cynical towards Sony. Playstation 3 has the games, as does Xbox 360. It's a fact. A HUGE fact that cannot be denied.

See, that is where you are, well, just wrong. See, you need to work on your tenses my friend, the XBOX 360 does not have the games, the Playstation 3 is not even out. It is more Sony and Microsoft will have games worth owning in the distant and not-so-distant future. Few things are very how do you say solidly defined at this point. Many of the must own Playstation 3 games for example are not going to be out until it looks like late 2007 f. I do agree it is all about the games, which is why I am more exicted about the line-up for the DS Lite then any next/new-generation bricka-brack, I see many games I want to play that are coming down the pipline at prices that don't require defaulting on some loans.

jko

bigfurb said:
Stop looking at lists and start looking at these games man. If you can look at all this great PS3 media released tonight and say with a straight face that sony isn't showing some high quality software, then you need to slap on your XDF badge with pride and call Bill and tell him to make sure your cheque is in the mail
And I have, and honestly the new IPs that are coming out for the X360 are more than enough to trump any SDF doubters, and that's not even mentioning games by Mistwalker. PS3's games are nothing mroe than rehashes of sequels and are tired. Aside from the slightly better graphics than the X360, I'd imagine the gameplay for games like FF13 not looking amusingly promising...and FF13 have 6 of them to boot...on different platforms that have yet been confirmed.

Top Bottom