• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patrick Klepek gets called out on racism, sexism, rape jokes, child rape jokes, voyeurism and more

MC Safety

I am so glad there wasn't social media or cell phones when I was a teen. When did everyone decide to be retroactively outraged and decided loss of a career is an appropriate punishment for everything? I don't like this crap no matter which 'side' starts it.

Yeah, we could all stand to be a little more tolerant, a little more forgiving, and a little less eager for blood.

I like Patrick and think, generally, he's done good work.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Who is this person?

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/contributor/patrick-klepek

https://www.giantbomb.com/patrick-klepek/3040-100074/

BeYj3RG.png

Bravo! :messenger_clapping:

Last edited:
This is exactly like that one guy on Polygon Arthur Gies. Writes a Bayonetta 2 review heavily criticizing it for having erotic content in it, and literally scores it lower. Meanwhile, he literally has a registered account on Suicide Girls where he presumably likes to watch real people get objectified, often for terrible pay. But then he lectures all gamers about playing Bayonetta, featuring a main character designed by a woman, with zero nudity, zero real people exploited in any way, considering it's a fantasy video game.

These people trying to shame gamers, trying to lecture people about morality - I think a huge portion of them have far, far, far more skeletons in their closet than the average gamer who just enjoys playing games and doesn't want to constantly get lectured by hypocrites.

And this guy isn't just lecturing people. He calls their employers and tries to get them fired. Repeatedly.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is exactly like that one guy on Polygon Arthur Gies. Writes a Bayonetta 2 review heavily criticizing it for having erotic content in it, and literally scores it lower. Meanwhile, he literally has a registered account on Suicide Girls where he presumably likes to watch real people get objectified, often for terrible pay. But then he lectures all gamers about playing Bayonetta, featuring a main character designed by a woman, with zero nudity, zero real people exploited in any way, considering it's a fantasy video game.

These people trying to shame gamers, trying to lecture people about morality - I think a huge portion of them have far, far, far more skeletons in their closet than the average gamer who just enjoys playing games and doesn't want to constantly get lectured by hypocrites.

And this guy isn't just lecturing people. He calls their employers and tries to get them fired. Repeatedly.

That is what they call, virtue signaling with false altruism.

Petrae

I’ve said it before, and it absolutely bears repeating here:

The gaming press HATES its audience.

The only purpose the audience serves is being a group of people that gaming press can talk down to, while proudly and loudly proclaiming its position of power. They hate you slightly less when you agree with them, or if you praise them, but the hate still burns.

It’s been this way forever, but really ramped up when the official proclamation of war between gaming press and video game players began after the Mass Effect 3 disasterbacle. Gaming press made “entitled” a filthy word, using it like a weapon against any and all who dared disagree with them. (“Entitled” also became poisonous here, under the old regime, but that’s a different topic.)

Klepek is a classic example of this, leveraging his (perceived) power as a *cough* “games journalist” to force his politics down anyone’s throat he could. Hell, all the evidence you need of the kind of person he is resides within this very thread— and I’m not talking about the photos. He actively sets double standards with his behavior, proclaiming publicly that only “the right” should be targeted by social media mobs. He actively worked to try and get a man fired because that man’s political leanings are different than his own. He deserves to be impaled by the very sword that he wields, if for no other reason than to maybe learn some tolerance for those who think differently than he does and that the social media justice he champions does, in fact, cause harm to both sides of the ideological fence.

A.Romero

I don't care about this guy but I really hope this is taken as an opportunity to reflect and to stop auditing and judging people based on shit they publish on Social Networks. It doesn't matter the political leaning, it's just something bad for freedom and society in general.

A long time coming for Patrick. I knew his skeletons, but I didn't know he was dumb enough to keep them on flickr. He's probably hoping neogaf's database erases his teen/college era here as well.

I dunno.

I don't know who this guy is, I detest excessive PC culture and rampant SJWism and I find it kinda funny that the intolerance they created is biting them back... but it seems to me he was just joking around and being silly, maybe drunk... it's not a reflection of his real personality. We all did stupid things for fun in our college years (...and beyond). Do we all have to turn into robots?

I doubt many people (if any at all) are disgusted or offended by his pictures. I am sure I’ve done a hell of a lot worse in my life.

It’s just a funny thing to see a toxic SJW prick in his ivory tower have the karma bus ram right into him. Especially after he went so far out of his way to dig into other people’s past and use that as ammo to get them fired because he doesn’t agree with his politics. It’s like watching your high school bully getting a dig in the face. It’s cathartic.

ILLtown

If people are going to play the "I'm going to dig through your past to find offensive stuff" game, they should make sure that their own past is squeaky clean first, otherwise IMO they fully deserve to get called out like Klepek has been here. As I said in the other thread where this came up, to me it's not about the photos or the captions - it's about holding Klepek to the same standards that he would hold other people to.

I think social media has heavily contributed to people being insincere. Getting likes and retweets feels good. Getting thousands of them on a single tweet must amplify that feeling. Building an audience of thousands of followers must feel great too. So, how can that not have an effect on what some people say in terms of sincerity?

I think it leads to people self-censoring too. I know it does, even about trivial things. For example, I've seen someone say that they don't like a particular popular video game on Reddit, the downvotes start rolling in, then the person deletes their post to prevent more downvotes from occurring. Is that going to make them think twice about going against the majority next time? Of course, and that just promotes echo chambers.

I’ve said it before, and it absolutely bears repeating here:

The gaming press HATES its audience.

The only purpose the audience serves is being a group of people that gaming press can talk down to, while proudly and loudly proclaiming its position of power. They hate you slightly less when you agree with them, or if you praise them, but the hate still burns.

It’s been this way forever, but really ramped up when the official proclamation of war between gaming press and video game players began after the Mass Effect 3 disasterbacle. Gaming press made “entitled” a filthy word, using it like a weapon against any and all who dared disagree with them. (“Entitled” also became poisonous here, under the old regime, but that’s a different topic.)

Klepek is a classic example of this, leveraging his (perceived) power as a *cough* “games journalist” to force his politics down anyone’s throat he could. Hell, all the evidence you need of the kind of person he is resides within this very thread— and I’m not talking about the photos. He actively sets double standards with his behavior, proclaiming publicly that only “the right” should be targeted by social media mobs. He actively worked to try and get a man fired because that man’s political leanings are different than his own. He deserves to be impaled by the very sword that he wields, if for no other reason than to maybe learn some tolerance for those who think differently than he does and that the social media justice he champions does, in fact, cause harm to both sides of the ideological fence.
They are disappearing into irrelevance, and so all they have left is hate for their audience. Most people that frequent forums like these are college educated, can write well, can do basic research online, and have all the qualifications that any gaming journalist has - but they just do it in their free time for fun as a hobby. Many OT thread starter posts are more detailed and comprehensive than gaming articles. Many gaming articles are just copy and pasted from here, ERA and reddit.

All they have left is the desperate attempt to hold on to some crumbling sense of status that no longer exists by putting down their audience. No one needs to hear what a gaming journalist thinks of a game at E3 anymore. We can all watch it live in real time with developers or Treehouse staff playing it and adding commentary about behind the scenes development information. Or they can just shadow drop demos to the audience and we can play it ourselves. Nintendo literally tries to bypass them with Nintendo "Direct." - direct to you, not filtered through a middle man that does nothing.

On top of that, many of these people barely even like games and suck at playing them. Most of them come from privileged families as well, because how else do you live on the east and west coast doing a job that millions of people can do for free? They get bankrolled by their family, while they lecture gamers about how much privilege they have. The whole thing is absurd, and the clarity with which we can see that absurdity only increases every year. They are dinosaurs.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Let’s be clear, I can’t stand Patrick Klepek. I think he’s a cowardly, snivelling little nerd that has a platform that encourages him to be vocal about things he would never have the guts to say to a persons face.

In saying that, I flicked through the thread hoping to see something outrageous and haven’t seen much. Am I missing it? The pictures of females breasts and arse are important, because it proves he is a hypocritical douche. The “hate crime” one is weird. The bad attempt at a joke by humping the kiddy sign is another example of his hypocrisy. Going by his own “standards” these are enough, but they’ll be easily hand-waved away by his supporters.

Other than that, I just see a weird looking, skinny, pimply faced nerd that likes to take his top off for some reason and seems to think he is much better looking than he actually is.

And let’s be frank, even if they found pics of him killing puppies, no main gaming media outlet will mention this. It’ll be silence. They’ll circle the wagons for their little geek-lord.

I didn’t click through any links, is there any more? Since he deleted his history, I’m guessing there is.

bitbydeath

Let’s be clear, I can’t stand Patrick Klepek. I think he’s a cowardly, snivelling little nerd that has a platform that encourages him to be vocal about things he would never have the guts to say to a persons face.

In saying that, I flicked through the thread hoping to see something outrageous and haven’t seen much. Am I missing it? The pictures of females breasts and arse are important, because it proves he is a hypocritical douche. The “hate crime” one is weird. The bad attempt at a joke by humping the kiddy sign is another example of his hypocrisy. Going by his own “standards” these are enough, but they’ll be easily hand-waved away by his supporters.

Other than that, I just see a weird looking, skinny, pimply faced nerd that likes to take his top off for some reason and seems to think he is much better looking than he actually is.

And let’s be frank, even if they found pics of him killing puppies, no main gaming media outlet will mention this. It’ll be silence. They’ll circle the wagons for their little geek-lord.

I didn’t click through any links, is there any more? Since he deleted his history, I’m guessing there is.

Just the usual nothing but James Gunn got fired for a hell of a lot less.

Nothing is outrageous, it’s just the egg on his face that is being pointed out. No one has a record of the 50k tweets he deleted before he ran his campaign against that other dude. Obviously in preparation for this.. he forgot about his pics though.

J-Roderton

Nothing is outrageous, it’s just the egg on his face that is being pointed out. No one has a record of the 50k tweets he deleted before he ran his campaign against that other dude. Obviously in preparation for this.. he forgot about his pics though.

Yeah. Obviously trying to cover his ass. Don’t wanna have that kind of image of your past when you’re shouting a lot of his shit rhetoric.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So a bunch of unfunny "cool teenage boy" jokes? Certainly not a form of discourse that makes him likable to me and pretty funny in the context, but for me, personally, nothing that should lead to job consequences.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You mean former NeoGAF admin Patrick Klepek who I kicked out for abuse of power and conflict of interest in a scandal cover-up attempt for the sake of one of his industry buddies/contacts?

If he's digging into peoples old jokes and twitter accounts to have them shamed at their employers behest, by informing them of said jokes, then I have zero problem with Klepick catching shit for jokes he has made in the past.
he's been on a high horse for awhile now.

Last edited:

down 2 orth

You mean former NeoGAF admin Patrick Klepek who I kicked out for abuse of power and conflict of interest in a scandal cover-up attempt for the sake of one of his industry buddies/contacts?

I feel like I missed out on every bit of background drama that happened in Old Gaf, but that's probably for the best. The place was crowded with two-faced social climbers then...

iBuzzati

If I ever make a career out of exaggerating mild allegations to stoke outrage for human interest stories in gaming media, put a bullet in my head. Klepek's transgressions are mild - stupid racial and sexual humor from a decade ago, and yet he knows that he isn't safe from people like him. He deleted everything.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If people are going to play the "I'm going to dig through your past to find offensive stuff" game, they should make sure that their own past is squeaky clean first, otherwise IMO they fully deserve to get called out like Klepek has been here. As I said in the other thread where this came up, to me it's not about the photos or the captions - it's about holding Klepek to the same standards that he would hold other people to.

I think social media has heavily contributed to people being insincere. Getting likes and retweets feels good. Getting thousands of them on a single tweet must amplify that feeling. Building an audience of thousands of followers must feel great too. So, how can that not have an effect on what some people say in terms of sincerity?

I think it leads to people self-censoring too. I know it does, even about trivial things. For example, I've seen someone say that they don't like a particular popular video game on Reddit, the downvotes start rolling in, then the person deletes their post to prevent more downvotes from occurring. Is that going to make them think twice about going against the majority next time? Of course, and that just promotes echo chambers.

This is a good post.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Whoa, I never heard of this. Anyone got the juicy details? :O

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
What's the story behind this?
Yeah, spill it.

doit.gif
Whoa, I never heard of this. Anyone got the juicy details? :O
I feel an epic post incoming...
giphy.gif

Top Bottom