• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patrick Klepek gets called out on racism, sexism, rape jokes, child rape jokes, voyeurism and more

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
There was an industry leak by one of Patrick's friends/associates, on NeoGAF, by the friend/associate. Being it happened on NeoGAF, obviously the press picked up on it, and after it became a major story and the person's job was in jeopardy for leaking the info, Patrick PMed me asking if all the evidence could be deleted.

I refused, since it was already disseminated everywhere and served no practical purpose anymore to delete it from NeoGAF specifically. Despite asking ahead of time, he hard deleted all the related posts he could find from the database, and I kicked him out for it.

Probably some kind of breach of """""ethics""""" on his part since afaik he was a games journalist at the time. I can probably produce the associated PMs from when I fired him if this is some kind of actual relevant story. I didn't really hold it against him personally since it was about loyalty to an alleged friend and I respected that but the conflict of interest was intense and highly inappropriate.

Last edited:

Jagz

If he tries to delete stuff, it's only going to cause a 'Streisand effect' and make things worse.

No doubt people will meme him over "Rape time, biotch", "hate crime", etc, for years to come.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
There was an industry leak by one of Patrick's friends/associates, on NeoGAF, by the friend/associate. Being it happened on NeoGAF, obviously the press picked up on it, and after it became a major story and the person's job was in jeopardy for leaking the info, Patrick PMed me asking if all the evidence could be deleted.

I refused, since it was already disseminated everywhere and served no practical purpose anymore to delete it from NeoGAF specifically. Despite asking ahead of time, he hard deleted all the related posts he could find from the database, and I kicked him out for it.

Probably some kind of breach of """""ethics""""" on his part since afaik he was a games journalist at the time. I can probably produce the associated PMs from when I fired him if this is some kind of actual relevant story. I didn't really hold it against him personally since it was about loyalty to an alleged friend and I respected that but the conflict of interest was intense and highly inappropriate.
Once again, love the transparency.

I can appreciate and actually admire Patrick's loyalty to his friend, but it seems like deleting the posts was a stupid and pointless move.

Fuz

You mean former NeoGAF admin Patrick Klepek who I kicked out for abuse of power and conflict of interest in a scandal cover-up attempt for the sake of one of his industry buddies/contacts?
giphy.gif

down 2 orth

Damn, humans can be so disgusting. I still think there's hope for most people though.

Malakhov

Banned
lol Klepek is a former NeoGAF admin? That's news to me.
Yeah he was, back in the days that neogaf was a blast. He was actually pretty funny back then and was known as the funny weezer fan.

Then they all caught a disease.

Last edited:

Not as juicy as I hoped, but I love that you are talking about it. This site is fun.

iBuzzati

That's some good journalism.

Last edited:
I'm loathe to defend this guy but.... that's just the way people were in the prior decade, everyone treated rape as a joke, everyone acted like an edgelord, it's just what was cool.

In fact this is one of the reasons why I've never liked SJWism and that's because so many of them are hypocrites, many these same people who talk a big talk about SJW topics a decade ago were making rape jokes along with everyone else, but once times changed they sucked it up and hopped on the bandwagon not because they genuinely believe it, but just because it's what's expected (Devin Faraci is another example of this)

Maybe this is what will finally cause people to move away from social media outrage.

MayauMiao

Klepek is an example of those so called journos who love to virtue signal everyone about their superior morals when its really all just an act to hide his own shamful behavior.

Arimer

It seems like Games journalists suffer badly from Projection. Everything they imagine "gamers' as is because it's what they are.

iBuzzati

Why DID people treat rape as such a joke back then, it is strange when you think about it.

Because starting around 2003, the past has been archived and is used as leverage by sad people that can't live without infringing upon others lives. Imagine it being 1995, and someone is carrying around a file cabinet of compromising written letters, photographs, and answering machine messages around a public town-square that indict someone's character, shouting into a megaphone about someone's unsavory past. That person would be considered a shithead. Now it's just 1 in millions of dipshits on Twitter.

How do you escape this garbage? You can't.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Why DID people treat rape as such a joke back then, it is strange when you think about it.
Not just rape but pretty much everything was treated as jokes since back then pretty much no one was offended by that kind of humor. Comedians had so much liberty in the 90s and they were very crude, we've all lost that because it's supposed to be progress!

Last edited:
Not just rape but pretty much everything was treated as jokes since back then pretty much no one was offended by that kind of humor. Comedians had so much liberty in the 90s and they were very crude, we've all lost that because it's supposed to be progress!

Gallows humor in general was in but people really did used to have some weird obsession with specifically rape as comedic fodder.

bitbydeath

It is possible to progress backwards. ;-)

Malakhov

Banned
Gallows humor in general was in but people really did used to have some weird obsession with specifically rape as comedic fodder.
I dont remember hearing more rape jokes than other types of jokes, it's just that now people are looking hard for these kind of jokes to pull them back out and use them against people.

Heck, I even remember a local comedian here doing a joke about a missing child, you couldnt do this nowadays.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Do you know what I find funny about all this Twitter post diving? This is why people want PSN name change lol. To cover up their past's decision of having a shitty name.

prag16

Banned
Those 50,000 tweets are really gone forever? The internet always told me the internet never forgets. There's really no cache or anything laying around somewhere? Oh well.

Anyway, the fact that he did this before going off on his righteous crusade plainly illustrates that he is not operating in good faith, and is at best a virtue signaling phony.

autoduelist

You know who hasn't ever made a rape joke in my entire life? Me.

Even if you had, it's not the end of the world. A good joke is social commentary, and nothing should be off limits. Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, and more have proven this. That our culture is making comedians scared to tell jokes is truly sad.

This is exactly like that one guy on Polygon Arthur Gies. Writes a Bayonetta 2 review heavily criticizing it for having erotic content in it, and literally scores it lower. Meanwhile, he literally has a registered account on Suicide Girls where he presumably likes to watch real people get objectified, often for terrible pay. But then he lectures all gamers about playing Bayonetta, featuring a main character designed by a woman, with zero nudity, zero real people exploited in any way, considering it's a fantasy video game.

These people trying to shame gamers, trying to lecture people about morality - I think a huge portion of them have far, far, far more skeletons in their closet than the average gamer who just enjoys playing games and doesn't want to constantly get lectured by hypocrites.

And this guy isn't just lecturing people. He calls their employers and tries to get them fired. Repeatedly.

Likewise, enjoying nudity should not be considered a skeleton in your closet.

prag16

Banned
Even if you had, it's not the end of the world. A good joke is social commentary, and nothing should be off limits. Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, and more have proven this. That our culture is making comedians scared to tell jokes is truly sad.

Well there's enjoying nudity, and then there's surreptitiously snapping pics of unsuspecting boobs and butts and posting them online. One is pretty normal, and the other is pretty creepy.

Moneal

Those shouldn't be, but when someone attempt to preach about how immoral others are for liking those things they make them skeletons for themselves.

Barakov

I remember seeing the picture of him holding up that card saying "stick it up her you know what" at least in 2008 or 2009. Crazy that nobody picked up on it until now. Thought for sure it would've come out when the GG stuff was at its' height.

Something really must of gone down if he was deleting 50k tweets.

pj

Banned
You mean former NeoGAF admin Patrick Klepek who I kicked out for abuse of power and conflict of interest in a scandal cover-up attempt for the sake of one of his industry buddies/contacts?

You sure know how to pick em

Never been a fan of these tactics but if you supported this kind of behavior, you deserve a taste of it.

I feel like there's a lot of users on GAF who grew up in the late 80s/early 90s who experienced the internet and gaming both explode simultaneously. One thing that has always been prevalent in both is "gross" behaviour, which was rarely gross but hang in there before you @me because I'm getting to my point.

Edgy jokes were the norm, slurs were the norm and it was accepted that anything you said was not to be taken seriously. This is not a justification or defense of these antics, just my perception of how things were at the time. It's always been about anonymously being a dick to someone else online with different levels of severity.

I have never once believed the current moral posturing to be genuine. Its just a new tactic to bully/belittle people online, but now you can look like a Saint instead of a troll. I don't believe all these people who partake and instigate public flogging grew a conscience somewhere in the past 6 years. I had /b/tard friends on my FB who I KNEW posted dumb shit online for "lulz" back in high school suddenly pretend they were beacons of morality. I deleted social media back in 2015, I can only imagine how bad some of them are now.

I think if you have truly changed/grown as a person, it's probably shown by your willingness not to partake in these types of situations and your disgust when these situations arise. I don't feel bad for Patrick Klepek because he was a proponent of this culture. He is still the embodiment of "toxic" gaming culture, just singing a different tune. Reap what you sow bud. Sorry for the rambling, I'm drunk.

Never been a fan of these tactics but if you supported this kind of behavior, you deserve a taste of it.

I feel like there's a lot of users on GAF who grew up in the late 80s/early 90s who experienced the internet and gaming both explode simultaneously. One thing that has always been prevalent in both is "gross" behaviour, which was rarely gross but hang in there before you @me because I'm getting to my point.

Edgy jokes were the norm, slurs were the norm and it was accepted that anything you said was not to be taken seriously. This is not a justification or defense of these antics, just my perception of how things were at the time. It's always been about anonymously being a dick to someone else online with different levels of severity.

I have never once believed the current moral posturing to be genuine. Its just a new tactic to bully/belittle people online, but now you can look like a Saint instead of a troll. I don't believe all these people who partake and instigate public flogging grew a conscience somewhere in the past 6 years. I had /b/tard friends on my FB who I KNEW posted dumb shit online for "lulz" back in high school suddenly pretend they were beacons of morality. I deleted social media back in 2015, I can only imagine how bad some of them are now.

I think if you have truly changed/grown as a person, it's probably shown by your willingness not to partake in these types of situations and your disgust when these situations arise. I don't feel bad for Patrick Klepek because he was a proponent of this culture. He is still the embodiment of "toxic" gaming culture, just singing a different tune. Reap what you sow bud. Sorry for the rambling, I'm drunk.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, it's all the same shit, just a different tactic.

It's people who get off on making life miserable for others, except now you can do it "righteously" and actually feel good about being an obnoxious asshole.

It's even worse, I'll take someone who's frank about being a dickhead instead of someone who wraps it up in the pretense of being "good"

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I remember seeing the picture of him holding up that card saying "stick it up her you know what" at least in 2008 or 2009. Crazy that nobody picked up on it until now. Thought for sure it would've come out when the GG stuff was at its' height.

Something really must of gone down if he was deleting 50k tweets.
I find this incredibly interesting. Klepek has been shouting at alt-right shadows for years, claiming up until even recently that they will stop at nothing in their dirty games to combat the left and yet, nobody brought this up, nobody attacked him for it (on a mass scale anyway) until he went after someone by trying to get them fired from their job.

Kind of pokes a massive hole in his tinfoil theories and boogeymen.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
I find this incredibly interesting. Klepek has been shouting at alt-right shadows for years, claiming up until even recently that they will stoop at nothing in their dirty games to combat the left and yet, nobody brought this up, nobody attacked him for it (on a mass scale anyway) until he went after someone by trying to get them fired from their job.

Kind of pokes a massive hole in his tinfoil theories and boogeymen.
Austin Walker used to be at the top of my "vilifying games journalism" list. But he's just a pseudointellectual, pretentious windbag. Klepek seems to be on another level; I think he's taken the top spot (though Arthur Gies will probably give both of them a run for their money at some point; what a triumvirate).

longdi

Banned
I find this internet political/social correctness is going too far. We post all kind of shits back in the days.
But then again IIRC Klepek wrote something a piece about the Neogaf meltdown, taking the higher ground and whatnot. As expected, another white knight hypocrite being found out.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I find this internet political/social correctness is going too far. We post all kind of shits back in the days.
But then again IIRC Klepek wrote something a piece about the Neogaf meltdown, taking the higher ground and whatnot. As expected, another white knight hypocrite being found out.

He did, yes. I've known him online since I was 14, so I trusted him when I gave him a statement about what went down, didn't ask for anything other than neutrality and pursuit of the facts, but that wasn't really the outcome. He utilized heavily biased anonymous sources that didn't accurately represent the facts and I followed up with him on Twitter a while back cordially, noted that his anonymous sources did not paint an accurate picture whatsoever, and he went straight TMZ mode looking for something I was saying that he could potentially use in a story, so I don't have much in the way of respect for the guy on a human to human level. Still, he was more professional than Kotaku.

Jason Schreier should probably be the one "exposed." Shall I share the emails where he was sucking my figurative D trying to get exposure for his book here in full promo mode on NeoGAF days before publicly claiming that he "should've seen the warning signs sooner" after signing off on the Kotaku hit piece on me and NeoGAF and distancing himself -- a story full of twitter gossip, an agenda to inflame and destroy, and zero fact checking? Maybe we should get around to that part and close the book on this activist journalist hypocrite bullshit, especially since he seems to be in full victim mode right now.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Jason Schreier should probably be the one "exposed." Shall I share the emails where he was sucking my figurative D trying to get exposure for his book here in full promo mode on NeoGAF days before publicly claiming that he "should've seen the warning signs sooner" after signing off on the Kotaku hit piece on me and NeoGAF and distancing himself -- a story full of twitter gossip, an agenda to inflame and destroy, and zero fact checking? Maybe we should get around to that part and close the book on this activist journalist hypocrite bullshit, especially since he seems to be in full victim mode right now.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Inviusx

He did, yes. I've known him online since I was 14, so I trusted him when I gave him a statement about what went down, didn't ask for anything other than neutrality and pursuit of the facts, but that wasn't really the outcome. He utilized heavily biased anonymous sources that didn't accurately represent the facts and I followed up with him on Twitter a while back cordially, noted that his anonymous sources did not paint an accurate picture whatsoever, and he went straight TMZ mode looking for something I was saying that he could potentially use in a story, so I don't have much in the way of respect for the guy on a human to human level. Still, he was more professional than Kotaku.

Would be worth it if for nothing more than the ensuing lols and reeee-era butthurt.

iBuzzati

Crowdfund a libel suit? Kotaku isn't exactly well liked in a lot of circles. You might be able to get somewhere if you can demonstrate untruths were published. The gung-ho, get-everyone-fired games press needs a wrench in the gears sometime. When Vavra threatened suit on Resetera, they slowed their roll real quick.

Last edited:

Hudo

It does not surprise me at all that Schreier tried to shill his book hard. It was one of the reasons why I quit reading Kotaku. He shilled his stuff at the end of every article for quite a while. I know that professional gaming bloggers are not swimming in money but come one, man.

I really dislike Klepek but I wouldn't hold shit he did in his college days against him. Probably half of all the students around the world do their most stupid and weird shit in their college days. On the other hand, if someone continues to swing around his morals, that person shouldn't be surprised when stuff like this happens.

oagboghi2

Because a lot of people find a certain appeal in the fantasy of rape/power/control in sex. It's one of the most popular niche sex fantasies out there, and tons of online erotica, hentai etc etc can be said to have a "rapey" plot.

"Netorare" is insanely popular in Japan, and cuckold relationships are becoming a thing now to in the states. It was dangerous, very taboo, and when you mix that with teenage hormones, and the anonymity people thought they had on the internet, well yeah you get tons of bad rape jokes

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Reading his tweets i am literary shaking.

Yikes
i
k
e
s

I might even use the n word
Yup he is a nazi must be

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It does not surprise me at all that Schreier tried to shill his book hard. It was one of the reasons why I quit reading Kotaku. He shilled his stuff at the end of every article for quite a while. I know that professional gaming bloggers are not swimming in money but come one, man.
Isn't this pretty dependent on what they do exactly? I remember reading that NeoGAF was once worth millions of dollars, which should be indicative of the amount of money you can make with online commercials in the video game space. Kotaku is pretty well-known so I wouldnÄ't be surprised if Schreier was earning a pretty good sum.

Top Bottom