• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie Responds after using racial slur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, apology not accepted.

Had a streak of similar shit that he didn´t apologize for (just trolling) or did apologize only to do something like that again.

Took 2 days to come up with this. Obviously had someone else write it. You can see him look to the side at his notes. Jump-cuts to hell and back because he can´t come up with an actual sincere apology.

He said it himself in this video, he hasn´t learned shit.

Eat dirt.

I agree with the OP note about apologies.

I'll add that I think the apology needs to itself take steps toward not only stating what he'll do in the future, but also to help reverse the damage the mistake did in the first place.

He failed to do both of those things IMO because:
A. He didn't tell us why this apology is any different from the previous ones, so we have no assurance that he's trying to improve.
B. He didn't condemn the language or do anything to urge his followers to not do it. He didn't call this out as something he isn't going to tolerate in his fan base. The entire point of the outrage is that he influences a lot of young minds and just gave them a dose of racism. He made no attempts in the apology to administer an antidote. The fans will gain nothing from this apology and continue thinking it's fine to say n*****.

Apology rejected PDP. I'm going to do everything I can to make it known to people that don't know about all of this in an effort to limit your influence in my personal social circles. Sort out your fucking life.

gogosox82

I'll just say what I said in the other thread. How can anyone take this apology seriously? This is at least the 3rd time he's had to apologize for saying something he shouldn't have said. After the last time, you would have thought he would have learned something because of how much money it cost him (and other youtubers as well because the wsj articles basically started the ad apocalypse) but he apparently learned nothing and doesn't care.

That was a mature and genuine apology, in my opinion. He really looks like he's learned from his mistake.

200.gif

Rmagnus

Banned
Not a very forgiving crowd we have here, as long as someone is sorry and wants to better himself why should he be denied the chance. Hope he really learned from it and be a better person for it cos his influence on kids is frankly scary

kmax

That was a mature and genuine apology, in my opinion. He really looks like he's learned from his mistake.

Ah yes. 2 days for a 90 second "I'm sorry if anyone was offended" for saying "fucking nigger".

I'm sure he's so upset with himself right now.

👏👏free speech👏👏👏is not about👏👏👏saying whatever you want without consequence👏👏👏

Words have consequences and free speech only means the government and it's institutions can't come after you for your words--written or spoken--alone. People need to stop citing free speech. It makes you seem juvenile.
Yes I agree which is why I listed possible consequences. If this dude disappeared off of Youtube everyone benefits.

Not a very forgiving crowd we have here, as long as someone is sorry and wants to better himself why should he be denied the chance. Hope he really learned from it and be a better person for it cos his influence on kids is frankly scary

Me too. Sincerely hope he understands the severity of his actions and actually makes an effort to change.

DrArchon

What I don't get...why wouldn't you just do a full blown apology as soon as you dropped the N bomb? How does this shit take 2 days.

Well you gotta run it by all your lawyers at least. Then you gotta make sure what you've written up doesn't offend your alt-right fans who don't want you to apologize.

spannicus

"I forgot i was streaming"

diaspora

Me too. Sincerely hope he understands the severity of his actions and actually makes an effort to change.

He didn't apologize for doing something wrong, he apologized if people were offended by what he did.

joe2187

Banned

Man who has history of racist behavior, had to issue many apologies says he'll learn from his mistakes...after what...the tenth time?

I promise to be a better person......not like those Nigg--

Sorry, it was a heated apology moment.

gogosox82

How many times are we supposed to forgive him for fucking up? Like I said earlier, this is the third time he's had to apologize.

Edit: he also monetized that video. Like why would you monetize a serious apology video like that? Seems like it was more to save his career more than anything else. Took dude two days to apologize and all he said was "I'm sorry. I fucked up. I'm an idiot. I'll do better". Took you two days to come out with that? Pretty lame apology if you ask me.

zeorhymer

Apologies mean absolutely nothing. Own up to what you did. Use that little brain of yours to figure out what you did wasn't acceptable. Then do stuff to not do it again or extend an olive branch to make your actions more genuine.

Mea culpas are one of the worst things in modern society.

I don't believe this is sincere and my condemnation stands.

He didn't even discourage his fans from defending him. That says it all. Felix isn't sorry. He is not remorseful, he doesn't care, and he knows his fans will leap to his defence no matter what.

It's time for YouTube to pull the plug.

BiggNife

Not a very forgiving crowd we have here, as long as someone is sorry and wants to better himself why should he be denied the chance.

Are we going to say this every single time he fucks up, apologizes and says he can do better? At some point it just feels like people are given him a free pass when he has a track record of not living up to these apologies.

Dabanton

Rather than explaining why he used that word (heat of the moment), I want to see him explain why using that word is bad. Why people are upset and angry with him.

Then I'll believe that he's being sincere.

Pretty much this, an apology is one thing.

Why is 'nigger' the word that he thinks is the worst he can use against another player his angry with, especially as the player his using it against is probably themselves white.

This is the baffling thing with the people who utter this online.

If pdp is serious he'd do some more videos about what it is about that word that is so fascinating to constantly use for a disturbingly large amount of non black gamers.

DrFurbs

How much money will be make off that apology video? Abs what advertiser's are on his channel anyways. The least we can do is contact them direct and say we are boycotting their products?

He didn't even say he "wants to better himself". You can already see his influence on kids in the comments section. Damage has already been done. For years. Why forgive when he hasn't learned after the three other scandals he's had? When no action has been taken to avoid this?

Anung

Un Rama
This feels like the apology of someone who has done this 'my response' song and dance too many times so it inherently feels forced and not legit.

That or one written by a PR company.

All we're missing is someone who's sorry and wants to better himself.

And this is chance 4 or 5.

Ouroboros

"It just slipped out?"

Seriously, I say bad things when I'm frustrated at a game, but I would never EVER use a racial slur or any harsh words directed to another player.

This guy is old news. Too many apologies, how many does he get in life?

Deepwater

because nobody is entitled to be forgiven for their fuck ups.

He didn't apologize for doing something wrong, he apologized if people were offended by what he did.

Which is why I hope he makes an actual effort to realize that being racist--whether blatant or casual--is wrong no matter what. I don't think he will, but I'm just hoping that he proves me wrong because the guy has a lot of power and influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom