• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Dereck

Why does Raichu exist? Serious question

It can't be just for stat expansion right, doesn't Raichu relatively suck?

So if Nintendo is gonna continuously ignore Raichu, why even make that Pokemon in the first place?

Don't worry guys, I bought this yesterday.

YKaz6IS.jpg

3 and a half weeks, my friend. Then we'll have something substantial that will either contain the reveal of the new game(s), or eventually lead into it.

You'd hope so, but I really can't imagine they'd shrug off both an E3 showing and a Worlds showing, and then reveal or majorly hint at the new game in the very next Coro Coro.

I could see the Kaiju and the Blob having their anime relevance spelled out, and their role in any upcoming game kept quiet for the time being.

JoeM86

You'd hope so, but I really can't imagine they'd shrug off both an E3 showing and a Worlds showing, and then reveal or majorly hint at the new game in the very next Coro Coro.

I could see the Kaiju and the Blob having their anime relevance spelled out, and their role in any upcoming game kept quiet for the time being.

Them being detailed is a big step, though. It's not like there's nothing, there's something. It's more than having anime relevance spelled out, it's their existence being detailed.

But yeah, I have totally thrown my Feb 2016 theory out the window. I now have a 20th anniversary reveal for it, with mid to late 2016 launch.

That said, I just don't understand why they'd reveal the blob and what is obviously Mega/Primal/??? Zygarde if the game is over a year away. I also don't understand why they'd promote them and conclude the Mega Evolution anime sub-series a year beforehand too. A few months I could understand as part of the hype machine, but the large gap I just don't understand. It feels counterproductive.

I hate not knowing things haha.

JoeM86

Mid to late next year will kill the franchise even more.

Way to be overdramatic.

You do realise that this series has had one year breaks often, right?

Them releasing at a later point won't do damage. Pokémon ORAS came out just 3 weeks before Yo-kai Watch Shinuichi and yet ORAS is still in the charts while Yo-kai Watch disappeared months ago.

Mid to late 2016 ? but the movies usually come out in July.

So? Remember Black 2 & White 2 came out in June 2012 :)

Busaiku

Not only would it be Yokai Watch 3, but Dragon Quest XI and NX.
Only reason Shin Uchi is gone is cause of Busters and the 3 announcements/releases. Not to mention it's a 3rd version game, which did better than any Pokemon.

Plus it's be better to give it some space for 7th gen, which'll likely be Fall 2017.
1.5 years would work better than 1 year.

If Gamefreak/Pokemon really learned nothing from thus hen, then that'd be really sad.

JoeM86

Not only would it be Yokai Watch 3, but Dragon Quest XI and NX.

Plus it's be better to give it some space for 7th gen, which'll likely be Fall 2017.
1.5 years would work better than 1 year.

If Gamefreak/Pokemon really learned nothing from thus hen, then that'd be really sad.

I think you overestimate Dragon Quest.

Also, NX is irrelevant, especially if the handheld has backwards compatibility. Not the first time. All they have to do is throw an enhancement in it and it could be marketed as such.

I definitely think a BW2-style release window is our best case scenario by this point. Should've stuck with my gut feeling about Super Mystery Dungeon ruling out a February RPG game.

Guh. It's daft, I know, but I'm legitimately disappointed.

Busaiku

If it's a typical 3rd version release, then Dragon Quest XI will probably outsell it. I expect the 3DS game to do like 2.5 million or so.
3rd versions don't do crazy numbers, and this is the weakest gen yet.

If it's a 2 release, it's hard to say how it'll do cause Black 2 isn't enough to go off.

JoeM86

I definitely think a BW2-style release window is our best case scenario by this point. Should've stuck with my gut feeling about Super Mystery Dungeon ruling out a February RPG game.

Guh. It's daft, I know, but I'm legitimately disappointed.

I know the feeling. I was sure that the teasing of blobby and kaiju indicated we were getting something soon.

Ah well. Gives me more time to work on the new site layout :p

If it's a typical 3rd version release, then Dragon Quest XI will probably outsell it. I expect the 3DS game to do like 2.5 million or so.
3rd versions don't do crazy numbers, and this is the weakest gen yet.

If it's a 2 release, it's hard to say how it'll do cause Black 2 isn't enough to go off.

You really are so negative...

Oswen

So if Nintendo is gonna continuously ignore Raichu, why even make that Pokemon in the first place?

Raichu was created before Pikachu was chosen to be the official mascot, it probably wouldn't exist if things went differently.

The final nail in the coffin will be if GF decides to break the Mega Evolution rule and add a Mega Pikachu, I wonder if they ever considered that.

I do think that Dragon Quest XI will outsell XY2, but that's hardly surprising; Dragon Quest is still a huge franchise in Japan. We've seen from Pokémon's previous close release proximity to stuff like Monster Hunter that it's fine with the competition, at any rate.

The NX Portable is the main, long-term concern, mind. I could see Game Freak being willing to chance their arm alongside the launch of a new platform like they did with BW2, but I don't think it's going to be the same situation this time around; not least because of the passing of Iwata, and the close relationship Game Freak enjoyed with him. I could imagine a post-Iwata Nintendo being far less patient with GF than they have been in recent years, and that would mean nothing good for the franchise in general.

I mean, this gen has been horrendous, they really need to step it up.

It's been a weak generation, that's for sure, but it's hardly like its the first one that the franchise has had. They followed up the relatively poorly-received Gen III with Gen IV and revitalised the franchise, after all, and I have no doubt that it's possible to do so again.

Yo-Kai Watch probably came around just in time to give the whole franchise a boot up the arse in time for Gen VII, which has to be a positive. Fair or otherwise, there's definitely a perception that TPCI and Game Freak have been coasting this generation, and some healthy competition might be just the thing to shake them out of that.

harmonize

I think it's still too premature to count out a February release with any degree of certainty. In hindsight, having the biggest Pokemon competition of the year be the testing bed for a new spinoff angling for the e-sports crowd seems like an obvious choice, and they probably want to spread out their announcements and not have a new main series game reveal overshadow Pokken Wii U.

If we don't get the reveal by next corocoro, then I'm breaking the glass and hitting the panic button.

wmlk

Too much sales talk here...

Anyway, for those interested, a very professional-looking fanmade game called Pokémon Ethereal Gates just had its demo launched yesterday. It's made with RPG Maker so you don't have to worry about the legality that you get with ROM hacks.

You guys should give this a shot. There is a ton of attention to detail and it's definitely one of the best fanmade Pokémon games I've seen. I'm gonna give it a shot now.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It seems like the majority of folks around the Internet was totally burned out on the yearly release on Pokemon, so I can't say GameFreak are idiotic by not revealing one right this moment.

In fact I think most people would agree a bit of time off might be good, and hopefully gives us a stronger product overall.

Hatchtag

Banned
Still betting on a February/March release for the next mainline game, imo. The Worlds reveal was never a cornerstone of the that release theory anyways. Pokken probably will take the Wii U's May slot, so it won't be too close, and even if it is, Pokemon's never been opposed to having spin-offs released close to mainline games. And, considering Amiibos are a big thing now, releases two games that could be compatible with Pokemon Amiibos might not be the worst idea.

I still really hope its a revisit of Kalos that vastly improves upon it instead of being another half-assed remake.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Oh, good. So, after Mario and FF, Pokemon is dying as well. Thank you my balanced mentor Busaiku, for telling me how things are actually going in this crazy, crazy world, thanks. /s

In all seriousness, these are the hypotesis I'm currently thinking about for Pokemon Z's release

- It's not impossible it's announced the next month, on Coro Coro, alongside details of the new Pokemon. In that case, it wouldn't be impossible for it to be a Spring 2016's release (more April-first half May than second half May-June). I'd rule out a release on Early 2016 because it'd be way too soon after Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon in US, even more in Europe, where the game is slated for Early 2016.
- the announcement comes on Pokemon 20th Anniversary. In that case, I wouldn't bet that much on a Spring 2016 release, since that would probably mean second half May-June, which could be right when Pokken releases (the same way MK8 and Splatoon released at the end of May). Thus, from September to December could be a better period.
- in case the game releases around Christmas Holidays (November), and in the case NX releases in that period. I wouldn't see tht implausible that the next Pokemon main title releases on both 3DS and NX. It would explain why we've not seen details about the new game yet, because it's related to something that has yet to be announced. Also, the 3-years period between X/Y and Z (2013 to 2016), which is longer than the usual 2 year period (especially for Japan) between main releases and expansions / sequels. It's also true that a possible explanation of the longer period is trying to not pollute the series by releasing major games each year, improving the quality of the next release, thus not so related to a possible NX version in development.

I suppose, once next Coro Coro's issue will be out, we'll have a better idea of what's going on.

JoeM86

I think the removal of localisation times has damaged Pokémon in the west a little, more than anything else. Though damaged is a strong word, it just makes gaps feel so much longer.

Think about it. This is the first year since 1997 where there has been nothing main series in any region.

1996: Red & Green in Japan. Blue through CoroCoro
1997: NOTHING
1998: Yellow in Japan, Red & Blue in the west
1999: Blue retail in Japan. Gold & Silver in Japan, Yellow in the west
2000: Crystal in Japan, Gold & Silver in the west
2001: Crystal in the west. Ruby & Sapphire announced in Japan
2002: Ruby & Sapphire released in Japan
2003: Ruby & Sapphire in the west. FRLG Announced
2004: FRLG in Japan. Emerald in Japan. FRLG in the west. Diamond & Pearl announced
2005: Emerald in the west.
2006: Diamond & Pearl in Japan
2007: Diamond & Pearl in the west
2008: Platinum in Japan
2009: HeartGold & SoulSilver in Japan. Platinum in the west
2010: Black & White in Japan. HeartGold & SoulSilver in the west
2011: Black & White in the west
2012: Black 2 & White 2 in Japan and the west
2013: X & Y - GLOBAL
2014: Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire - Global

Typically, with games before it went

Month 0: Japanese announcement
Month 0-~6: Japanese buildup
Month ~6: Japanese launch
Month ~7: Western reveal
Month ~7-~12: Western buildup
Month ~12: Western launch
Then Japan often got the next announcement soon after

This gave the hype, if it was on a graph, two heights. Build-up and then the launch. Obviously Japan didn't get this since they always got the game first, but in the west there was essentially two periods of hype for each game.

Now, we have worldwide launches, the hype is only once and it leaves larger gaps between knowing things. This has made people really anxious. People in the west just have never had a time like this.

This is part of why I was hoping we'd get an announcement soon. The long period is agonising haha.

CassSept

I disagree, the gap between Emerald and Diamond/Pearl in particular felt veeery long, likely made worse by Gen IV Pokemon reveal schedule. I know it was because GF thought they could make it in time for 2005 release, but Munchlax being revealed 2.5 year before release of DP (THREE years in the west) was ridiculous. Then we had to wait a year for any new reveals (Mantyke and two others, shortly followed by Manaphy) and another year for any solid info.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm I've always wondered, how did Marketingchu came to be? You know who marketingchu is, the Pikachu with a deformed, circular head.

Busaiku

Caught an early episode of Diamond and Pearl on Boomerang a few days ago, and it sounds so bad.
Ash and Dawn were so bad early on. Don't know what they were going for Ash early on, maybe trying to make him sound older. Don't remember too much from then, since I only started watching weekly with Black/White, but Ash sounds completely different now. Dawn was also good in Black/White.

Also why did Poison Sting and Poison Jab KO a Scizor.

Kyzer

Banned

Don't worry guys, I bought this yesterday.

http://i.imgur.com/YKaz6IS.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

Yo Raichu was almost cool as fuck back during season one of the anime

And hey what if gamefreak agreed to have an NX enhanced port for launch or something? Either way I fully expect the next mainline games to be worth the wait

Yo Raichu was almost cool as fuck back during season one of the anime

And hey what if gamefreak agreed to have an NX enhanced port for launch or something? Either way I fully expect the next mainline games to be worth the wait

Seeing as it's GameFreak I don't see them doing a cross gen Pokemon game, but it would be nice if they did.

Busaiku

I thought VGC was more balanced, but that's probably cause all the non-Japanese aren't using all the good Pokemon as much.
Every single team has a Landorus Therian, with Thundurus Incarnate, Mega Kangaskhan, Amoongus, and Heatran on almost every team.
Only 14 uniques in top 8.

Tiamant

So finally I managed to get this friend into playing Pokémon. His last game was Yellow and he just started X in hopes of being able to play competitive someday.

Which guide (video preferably) would you recommend to him? Keep in mind that he doesn't even remember the basic type matchups nor knows most of the new Pokémon. All videos that I've found so far just go SO FAST explaining things and throwing stuff like OU, EVS, Counterbuilds, etc. around that its hard even for me to follow.

Help pls!

StoneFox

So finally I managed to get this friend into playing Pokémon. His last game was Yellow and he just started X in hopes of being able to play competitive someday.

Which guide (video preferably) would you recommend to him? Keep in mind that he doesn't even remember the basic type matchups nor knows most of the new Pokémon. All videos that I've found so far just go SO FAST explaining things and throwing stuff like OU, EVS, Counterbuilds, etc. around that its hard even for me to follow.

Help pls!
Honestly, the easiest means to go about it is to learn one thing at a time. Get him to understand most of the type matchups by using Bulbapedia to help until it becomes second nature http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Type

But for specific things like IVs and EVs, I would recommend:

IVs: https://youtu.be/RiAT8FVkVNc

EVs (and more about IVs): https://youtu.be/1u_37RK-mFA

For other topics like team building and such, it's honestly more about what he personally prefers to battle with, but using popular teams is not bad for practice. EV training guides are also helpful and usually have the same information so you just go by which video you'd rather watch.

Sandfox

I thought VGC was more balanced, but that's probably cause all the non-Japanese aren't using all the good Pokemon as much.
Every single team has a Landorus Therian, with Thundurus Incarnate, Mega Kangaskhan, Amoongus, and Heatran on almost every team.
Only 14 uniques in top 8.
I think that mentality is a product of last year and people not liking how Smogon operates. Some Pokemon are just too good and the opposite is true as well.

So for anyone who went to the Pokemon Symphonic Evolutions concert this year, what merchandise do they have for sale? And did they have the alcohol drinks that they served at Worlds last year?

The concert will be in Toronto this upcoming Friday. I'm pretty hyped.

Busaiku

Didn't have alcohol here (as far as I'm aware).
They had Symphonic Evolutions shirts and posters (2 kinds), and a large Pikachu X/Y series plush from Tomy.
Posters were $20 each, shirts $30, Pikachu $40.
I can't remember what exactly the posters were, but I think they were Unova themed (they said there were Black and White versions).
The shirt is the symphony logo on black.
They overcharged for the Pikachu plush, I thought it was an exclusive.

Seibmoz

Hey Gaf!! Is this where I post if I'm looking for someone to trade with me? I'm looking for a Chimchar to start my first play through of Omega Ruby

Didn't have alcohol here (as far as I'm aware).
They had Symphonic Evolutions shirts and posters (2 kinds), and a large Pikachu X/Y series plush from Tomy.
Posters were $20 each, shirts $30, Pikachu $40.
I can't remember what exactly the posters were, but I think they were Unova themed (they said there were Black and White versions).
The shirt is the symphony logo on black.
They overcharged for the Pikachu plush, I thought it was an exclusive.

Aww, what a shame. I was looking forward to trying out those drinks.

I'll probably just get a poster and shirt. Thanks. :)

Pokemon ORAS Masters final is really showing off my issues with this format. Genies, heatran, cresselia, aegislash, khan just totally running rampant. Wish gamefreak would tune down some of these or ban them for VGC.

Top Bottom