• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POKEMON GETTO DAZE! (Japan lines up)

king zell said:
060928447_4.jpg

My japanese is a bit rusty, but im pretty sure that says 5 hour wait :O - them crazy nihonjin! Wouldn't catch me queueing for 5 hours! I'd find someone i knew nearer the front and demand cuts!

Masklinn said:
No, 500 000 DS lites, I had forgotten that part, when I wrote the translation, sorry

Oh, okay. No problem then.

So there are two (independent?) sources saying the same thing about the sales? And it's not like source B says "Source A reported bla and bla...". If not, it's very likely true and ****ing incredible.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
slaughterking said:
Oh, okay. No problem then.

So there are two (independent?) sources saying the same thing about the sales? And it's not like source B says "Source A reported bla and bla...". If not, it's very likely true and ****ing incredibile.
We don't know if the sources are fully independant, both are french websites and they didn't reveal their own sources (besides the sellout and rankings on amazon.co.jp).

Could mean anything, really.

I think gaf should take these numbers with a grain of salt until they're confirmed, just so that the forum doesn't go in full craze.

Is there anyone checking famitsu on this? I think they spent they day touring various shops, they may have informations.

Masklinn said:
We don't know if the sources are fully independant, both are french websites and they didn't reveal their own sources (besides the sellout and rankings on amazon.co.jp).

Could mean anything, really.

I said that it is only a rumor for now. Eh ? Eh ? EHH ?

Masklinn

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I said that it is only a rumor for now. Eh ? Eh ? EHH ?
I know you did, and I did too, I just wanted to repeat it, and people have a tendency to strip out words starting with RU and ending with OR from their readings...

Aurora

TheKingsCrown said:
So wait, did Pokemon DS just beat every game in history in terms of 10 hour sales? (assuming its true)
I don't know about that, but if not it's definitely up there with the best.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
So the DSL sold 1/30 of the PSP worldwide install base in 10 hours? Half a million is a crapload when you consider how long it even took the DS to reach 10 million in Japan.

andthebeatgoeson

So is someone gonna explain the difference between the colors? I thought it was just an excuse to get people to buy 2 copies. I never played one.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
awesome. no doubt it will sell as many as nintendo can stock for the next few months!

the special edition pokemon DSL never even went on sale at play-asia, guess they couldnt get their hands on any.

One can only imagine what the total DS sales were when Nintendo had an unlimited stock. DS would be reaching 20 million units by now I guess.

jepense

skinnyrattler said:
So is someone gonna explain the difference between the colors? I thought it was just an excuse to get people to buy 2 copies. I never played one.

The colors of one batch of games (say red, blue & yellow) are different versions of the same game with some pokemon appearing in only one of them. The different batches of games (say red vs. gold) are completely different games.

nintendo can't make them fast enough... only if they had stopped GBA SP productions and focused on DS but in America it seems the GBA SP does very well against the DS and PSP

Aurora

skinnyrattler said:
Well each version holds it's own group of exclusive Pokémon, so trading between the two is required to get all monsters. Also the adventure will differ slightly (e.g you have to fight a certain criminal gang in one version, and another in the other version).
In the end it's just an excuse to make more $$$.

cvxfreak said:
If Nintendo were smart, every copy would include a little flyer that says "Pokemon Battle Revolution coming on Dec. 2" :D

NOA does this so maybe someone in Japan can confirm if NLC does this as well, think of the Wii sales alone o_O

datruth29

Aurora said:
Well each version holds it's own group of exclusive Pokémon so trading between the two is required to get all monsters. Also the adventure will slightly differ (e.g you have to fight a certain criminal gang in one version, and another in the other version).
In the end it's an excuse to make more $$$.
The sad thing is it will still sell like all hell if there was only one version.

Christopher said:
why do you people care about sales numbers so much ... jesus.

In this case, it's pretty much for the wide-eyed wonder at how the DS is breaking all the known rules of video game commerce, and how it's constantly setting new records in the industry.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Okay here's a short explanation of the colors thingy: In each generation of pokemon games there was always two colors and each color had pokemons that the other didn't have, so you have to trade if you want to catch them all.
The generations are like this
GB - Red, Blue and Yellow (Special one is yellow)
GBC - Gold, Silver and Crystal (Special one is Crystal)
GBA - Ruby, Saphire, LeafGreen (Remake), FireRed (Remake) and Emerald (Special one is Emerald)
DS - Diamond and Pearl, the special one will probably be announced in a year or so.

All other games are spin-offs and are mostly pretty crappy.

Masklinn

skinnyrattler said:
Pokemon games come in generations (for example, Fire Red and Leaf Green were part of the same "generation", Gold and Silver were the same batch but different from red and green, Diamond and Peal are yet-another generation). Two games from the same generation are basically the same, with a few pokemons unique to a given game.

Which means two things:
* If you're just playing, or are more or less casual @pokemon, you can get either of a generation's game and have fun
* If you want every single pokemon of a given generation, you need to either trade pokemons (which you'll be able to do online via wifi with Diamond/Pearl) or have two games.

"Hardcore" pokemon players buy all the games of a generation in order to be able to collect every single pokemon by themselves, others only need one.

Examples:
Red/Blue had a total of 151 pokemons, but a given cart only allowed you to cach 140 (11 were specific to red, 11 to blue).
Gold/Silver had a total of 251 pokemons, of which only 224 (I think) can be caught with a given cardridge: 10 pokemons were specific to Gold, 10 to Silver, and 17 could only be obtained by trading with Red, Blue or Yellow.

etcetera

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
future_pinoy said:
chocoboladygz3.jpg

Pokemon ! ohhh yeah ! ohhh yeah !

especially after you've seen the Wi-Fi commercial, its very orgasmic ... :D
That's no pokeman!
Squenix/Nintendo Pokemon/Chocobo collaboration confirmed total?
No

at this point, im more interested in seeing what kind of numbers Nintendo does next week.

something tells me they just blew their load, and won't be able to keep up next week.

anyways, who thinks next weeks Top 10 will be all DS again?

Masklinn

imastalker co. said:
at this point, im more interested in seeing what kind of numbers Nintendo does next week.

something tells me they just blew their load, and won't be able to keep up next week.

anyways, who thinks next weeks Top 10 will be all DS again?
Dunno, will they break pokemon sales by batches of 100.000?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Any other Gaffers importing? (Or JGaffers getting?) I'm trying to decide which version to buy.

Lee N

Membre
Capsule Gang said:
You make me sick. They all look the same to you don't they?
No, and I'm offended by the mere suggestion.

The reason I asked was that the images were really tiny and it was hard to see, it could very well have been the same guy since obviously it was the same store and they did have the same clothes.

kizmah

Some DS games are gonna be sold in cardboard boxes in Europe for a reason. That's the plastic shortage working. But you will be able to get the plastic box for your game (i think it was in december) when the shortage is over.

Koren

Masklinn said:
"Hardcore" pokemon players buy all the games of a generation in order to be able to collect every single pokemon by themselves, others only need one.
And two consoles, since some evolution can only be obtained when a pokemon is traded, IIRC ? :lol

Juice

Wow. I've got a feeling that between now and Christmas, the sales threads are going to be nothing short of marvelous.

Can you imagine DS hardware at 700,000, maybe even 800,000 this week?

Id assume it would be the highest September hardware sales ever.

GC launched in September....but it did 350,000ish.

Matt_C

future_pinoy said:

Off topic

I wonder she will go to his Mysterious Dungeon in the after hours.

Source and higher rez pic please.

RevenantKioku said:
Any other Gaffers importing? (Or JGaffers getting?) I'm trying to decide which version to buy.

Congrats on the sale and I hope I get my copy of Perl at the end of the week (it was already shipped). Now I need to find a cheap wifi stick.

Saoh

jamesinclair said:
Can you imagine DS hardware at 700,000, maybe even 800,000 this week?

Id assume it would be the highest DS hardware sales ever.

fix´d. i think the top for the DS has been 600k

Top Bottom