• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

WickedAngel said:
The speeches tonight set it in stone; the Republicans have absolutely no intention of fighting based on policy because they know they have no ground to stand on. If they can't smear and evoke fear from enough people, they lose the White House.

The speeches last night and tonight, as well as that 9/11 video, confirmed that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

laserbeam

Banned
speculawyer said:
Take it easy there . . . No need to get McCain to launch an invasion of Canada!:lol :lol
The fact is the law is what it is. Politics is so important to people here yet breaking the law becaus eit benefits one candidate seems to be tolerable. People should be banned for even suggesting and encouraging fraud in campaign finance.

theviolenthero said:
This question has been asked many times and NOT ONE PERSON HAS EVER RESPONDED!!!!

But just in-case someone does...

He voted with Bush 90% of the time, including 95% of the time in 2007. Hows he different?

I'm just hoping this is one of those days when RepublicanGAF decloaks and gets into the mix with the collective here.

Worth a shot anyway.

chubigans said:
This is why I despise diehard Obama/Dem fans. I mean, seriously, stop with the elitist bullcrap.

The other day I said I disliked Biden for his views on abortion and that he wasn't a true Catholic. After hearing some points from DemGAF, I realized I was wrong (not about abortion, but about his views on it) and gained some insight into Obama's campaign.

Had I been like you, Hedgehog, I would have dismissed Biden altogether and rambled on and on like a loon. I'm glad I didn't.
Did you seriously read what I was talking about or have you been stewing in some shit long before snapping on me? Elitist? What? Just because you can't see straight on the issues between the two tickets doesn't mean I have to accept what is an objectively empty and broken platform that doesn't do a damned thing to change our course for our government. The two campaigns have been clear about a few very important things and that is that McCain/Palin is potentially more conservative than the Bush/Cheney ticket and nearly the same in the most important ways on the energy plan, and the foreign and domestic policy. That's not what Obama/Biden is offering up. Don't get mad at me for being better informed about who I want to see in office and who I don't.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
How can people say this was a great Speech??

it Was one of the Worst Speeches of the Convention, or Any Convention...

..Ever

Basch

From last thread, before it closed:

Ah, f#ck it. I'm voting McCain. It's decided now. I had a pretty good idea of who he was back when I did a little research a year or two ago. Just wanted to hear it from his own mouth. I agree with most major points. Not only do I think he will make a suitable leader. I think he will make a great President. Haters can go f#ck themselves.

Besides securing 100% of my confidence, that was a good speech. Didn't think $hi+ like this ever got good write ups, but that was emotionally powerful. Reminded me of my good old days. :lol I hope he does well in the debates and convey the same passion he set forth today. If he can maintain this level of enthusiasm, he just might be able to pull this off. I can very well see people reaching out across the aisles. This is something worth supporting.

Kind of cheesy seeing all the tears in the crowd. And anybody remember that woman who got taken out by security. :lol Can't wait for the debate, though. Should be pretty good.

I'm not surprised GAF is largely a strong supporter for Obama, but what I can't believe is how much of you ignore the Republican population. There is still many Republican college students who have not been included in these polls yet either. Besides, we should really wait to see what happens in the latest polls. I imagine there will be a tremendous bump for McCain over the next couple of weeks.

laserbeam said:
The fact is the law is what it is. Politics is so important to people here yet breaking the law becaus eit benefits one candidate seems to be tolerable. People should be banned for even suggesting and encouraging fraud in campaign finance.

Dude . . . take it easy.

You seem a little worried . . . the speech didn't go so well, did it? :lol :lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
MightyHedgehog said:
Did you seriously read what I was talking about or have you been stewing in some shit long before snapping on me? Elitist? What? Just because you can't see straight on the issues between the two tickets doesn't mean I have to accept what is an objectively empty and broken platform that doesn't do a damned thing to change our course for our government. The two campaigns have been clear about a few very important things and that is that McCain/Palin is potentially more conservative than the Bush/Cheney ticket and nearly the same in the most important ways on the energy plan, and the foreign and domestic policy. That's not what Obama/Biden is offering up. Don't get mad at me for being better informed about who I want to see in office and who I don't.
Ah...ok then.

laserbeam

Banned
speculawyer said:
Dude . . . take it easy.

You seem a little worried . . . the speech didn't go so well, did it? :lol :lol

Speech was fine as far as Im concerned and pretty much every neutral pundit said he did fine. Was it a grand slam? not really but it sure wasn't as awful as the echo chamber says.

I just take issue with people advocating breaking the law in regard to an election.

Lesath

MassiveAttack said:
mirror.jpg

Oh man, I took the bus today, and this guy randomly asks this old white lady if she saw the Republican National Convention. She said she did, but even though she's a feminist, she did not believe Palin was a good choice. He agreed, and would have preferred Romney.

The guy asks if she was a Christian, and she replied yes. He starts going on about how God disapproved of woman leaders, how Babylon fell because of that, etc. She tries to say something about maybe the Bible shouldn't be taken so literally, but he interrupts her with this spiel about how this country has been specially blessed by God and whatnot, but he worries for the moral direction of this country because of abortions, same sex marriages, taking God out of the pledge and prayers out of schools.

He remembered when he was a kid in a schoolhouse in Montana, and how they would always say the prayer before the pledge: God first, country second. He goes on and talks about his experience as a Vietnam vet and how he has yet to receive his dues, and throughout this whole time the lady kept nodding, probably pretending to be interested.

Oh, the guy also mentioned something about Bush being the second president to respond to attacks on our soil; the first was Truman. History would treat Bush kindly, even though he did not approve of everything done under his administration, he had voted for him in 2004 and he has succeeded in wiping out terrorism in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In any case, I just wanted to make the point that people like that aren't likely to change their minds, no matter what you tell them.

deadbeef

NullPointer said:
I'm just hoping this is one of those days when RepublicanGAF decloaks and gets into the mix with the collective here.

Worth a shot anyway.

Come join the discussion, RepubliGAF. You will be assimilated.

Picard_as_Locutus.jpg

Xenon

From the HATE PARTY said:
What is it they hate? Guiliani and Palin both made it pretty clear: community organizing.

Seriously I almost want Obama to lose just to see how people like this guy will implode. What a jackass stretch of a single comment during the speech. The ironic part is that there is so much hate coming from Obama supporters its sickening. Of course Obama can take the high road, he has the press and millions of zealot followers to do his dirty work.

I think one major thing McCain got wrong tonight was that its not Obama who things he's preordained to lead the country, its the people who follow him.

Y2Kev said:
Obama fans are not deflated. We raised $10 million in under 24 hours. That is not deflated. That is energized like you cant believe.
I don't know, I feel pretty deflated. Palin's speech felt like a declaration of war. McCain's made me remember it was against McCain. I've never felt better about Obama's chances or cared less about helping them.

laserbeam said:

Not trying to stir the pot, I was just wondering if I could donate.

woxel1

I am pretty anxious about the debates. Obama has shown that he can give intelligent answers while under pressure, as seen recently with his interview with O'Reilly. But if I've learned one thing about John McCain, it's that he doesn't even try to be quick on his feet -- he repeats the same stump-speech drivel that has been drilled into him by the teleprompter.

If during the debates, John McCain avoids answering questions and gives the same old canned answers, will the American electorate be able to see through him or will they be entranced? I mean, this is the country that elected Bush... twice.

NullPointer said:

Worth a shot anyway.

I don't think we'll see that happen anytime soon. The Republican party isn't struggling because their founding ideologies were unsound; they're struggling because they've gradually pulled themselves so far out that they seem like radicals Even reasonable, sound-minded people who believe in Conservative values are having a hard time bringing themselves to support these people because they're just so far out there.

Xenon said:
Seriously I almost want Obama to lose just to see how people like this guy will implode. What a jackass stretch of a single comment during the speech. The ironic part is that there is so much hate coming from Obama supporters its sickening. Of course Obama can take the high road, he has the press and millions of zealot followers to do his dirty work.

I think one major thing McCain got wrong tonight was that its not Obama who things he's preordained to lead the country, its the people who follow him.

Funny that you should even go there when you consider the fact that it was the Republican convention that was fueled by hate, bigotry, and vitriol.

Basch said:
From last thread, before it closed:

Kind of cheesy seeing all the tears in the crowd. And anybody remember that woman who got taken out by security. :lol Can't wait for the debate, though. Should be pretty good.

I'm not surprised GAF is largely a strong supporter for Obama, but what I can't believe is how much of you ignore the Republican population. There is still many Republican college students who have not been included in these polls yet either. Besides, we should really wait to see what happens in the latest polls. I imagine there will be a tremendous bump for McCain over the next couple of weeks.

You're entitled to your opinion of who you think should be the President, but I find hard to see how seeing THIS speech would make anyone switch to McCain support.

Last night, maybe.

Tonight?

Wait, what?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Xenon said:
How dare a group of voters think they have any right to influence this country.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
~Devil Trigger~ said:
How can people say this was a great Speech??

it Was one of the Worst Speeches of the Convention, or Any Convention...

..Ever
I don't know if I'd say it's a great speech but it's the best delivery I've seen from McCain and it largely stuck to an uplifting message despite the lack of substance on actual policy. It'll play back well in soundbites because no one will be subjugated to its full hour-length meandering and repetition.

scitek

I'm a registered Independent, but I was enamored by Palin last night. I think McCain's speech was pretty bad, though. It was boring as hell.

laserbeam

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Pat says Cindy McCain does so much for kids but somehow doesn't mention that she stole their meds to get high.
Keep clinging to the past. She does more for the disadvantaged then anyone here on gaf attacking her ever will.

laserbeam said:
Keep clinging to the past. She does more for the disadvantaged then anyone here on gaf attacking her ever will.

That's easy to do when you're in the upper echelon of income and not struggling to get by.

Xenon said:
What a jackass stretch of a single comment during the speech.

What a jackass comment to make in TWO speeches. Both Guilliani and Palin got in on the mockery. And it wasn't just the words, but the crowd's reaction that sealed the deal.

Nobody here is misinterpreting things. Those words weren't accidental.

Touchdown

Banned
Its humorous to me that the republicans actually believe that Palin is going to rev up all this new support and excitement from new voters. They think they have their Obama. They are in a little republican bubble at the convention and will come back down to Earth starting tomorrow. How come the media doesn't bring up the polls and how McCain has gotten literally no bump since the beginning of his convention? 70,000 people in Oregon are not going to randomly come out to see Palin, a "hockey mom" who popped out a kid every couple of years and whose shrill voice make's Hillary's sound like a soothing coo.

ronito

Xenon said:

"I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a ‘community organizer,’ except that you have actual responsibilities,"

I guess I'm just like you Xenon. But I like actual games.

Not condescending at all is it?

Atrus

ryutaro's mama said:
You're entitled to your opinion of who you think should be the President, but I find hard to see how seeing THIS speech would make anyone switch to McCain support.

Last night, maybe.

Tonight?

Wait, what?

Some men aren't looking for anything logical. He can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world...BURN.

Gruco

Banned
Even though I still think Ron Paul is a kook, I managed to warm up to him a lot over the last year. Unlike almost all other republicans, I can actually respect him as an intellectual and honest person.

Or maybe it was just watching him go toe-to-toe with the entire Republican field during the debate.

Either way. Go Paul. I don't hope you win but I hope stick around long enough to drag your party back into something more closely resembling sanity.

RapeApe said:
slide_276_4.jpeg

This girl is definitely fat/chubby.

One thing I'm trying to figure after watching the video they showed on Cindy McCain. Did they just steal the girl from her parents or was she an orphan? They brought her to America for life-saving surgery which is fantastic but did they just say "We're keeping her"?

laserbeam

Banned
purnoman3000 said:
One thing I'm trying to figure after watching the video they showed on Cindy McCain. Did they just steal the girl from her parents or was she an orphan? They brought her to America for life-saving surgery which is fantastic but did they just say "We're keeping her"?

She was in Mother Teresa's Orphanage and she adopted the girl and brought her home.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Xenon said:
I guess you didn't see the intro video to McCain's speech then, eh?

laserbeam said:

I must have missed the thread on here where we listed our contributions to the disadvantaged.

Since you know what we've done, please provide proof.

laserbeam said:
Well, it is easy to help a lot of people when you collect millions off alcoholics.

Xisiqomelir

ronito said:
"I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a ‘community organizer,’ except that you have actual responsibilities,"

I guess I'm just like you Xenon. But I like actual games.

Not condescending at all is it?

:lol

I seriously wish EviLore had just joke-tagged Dyack so we could see his continuing meltdowns.

Gruco said:
Even though I still think Ron Paul is a kook, I managed to warm up to him a lot over the last year. Unlike almost all other republicans, I can actually respect him as an intellectual and honest person.

Or maybe it was just watching him go toe-to-toe with the entire Republican field during the debate.

Either way. Go Paul. I don't hope you win but I hope stick around long enough to drag your party back into something more closely resembling sanity.

Ron Paul (and maybe Huckabee) is/are the only sane and reasonable Republicans in the field this year. I think I could actually listen to Paul or Huck give a speech.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Seriously, if McCain win this election somehow, I'm going to start saving money and move to another country. I can't help but feel like the GOP is like an abusive husband who every 4 years comes home with fresh flowers and apologies saying "Don't worry baby, I can change!"

And she (the country) believes it. It happens over and over again, yet she still believes. How many times can we take this beating before we've had enough?

AniHawk

thekad said:
Guys...don't get your hopes up for the debates. This is America.
Seriously. Especially the town hall one. But all three will paint McCain as the specific Maverick, and Obama as the scary nuanced candidate that can't reach normal people somehow.
RurouniZel said:
Seriously, if McCain win this election somehow, I'm going to start saving money and move to another country. I can't help but feel like the GOP is like an abusive husband who every 4 years comes home with fresh flowers and apologies saying "Don't worry baby, I can change!"

And she (the country) believes it. It happens over and over again, yet she still believes. How many times can we take this beating before we've had enough?
Ohio and Florida may be in the tank for McCain, but I'm crossing my fingers for Colorado. Even Nevada would do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom