• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilhawk

AniHawk said:
By electorate, do you mean majority of the people? Because then that wasn't the case.
Well, ok. Though, that just furthers my point. What Clinton left behind was tons better than what Bush will leave. Despite that, a lot of independents went to Bush because they wanted something different. That being said, it shows that McCain really should be losing by more because of the current situation compared with the situation Gore was given.

Also, if there is a Palin train-wreck, I hope McCain gets most of the blame. He basically plucked her from obscurity way before she was ready and threw her under the glaring spotlight having her humiliated in front of the whole world.

She of course should have said no, but McCain should get tarred for this. I guess as mean as it sounds that's why I'm hoping for a train-wreck at the VP debate. I want McCain's horrendous judgment for his VP pick exposed and put to rest his "Country First" slogan. It's a complete farce.

benjipwns

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Not sure how you can deny her absolutely terrible Couric interview answers. No editing was needed to make her look bad there.
I don't trust the media, flatout. That's the key point. I assume something had to be cut. If they did the same to Obama I'd say the same thing.

I assume they want to position themselves as the third party. I think for a lot of that Couric interview Palin was doing the "I have to hit these McCain talking points" thing instead of the better Cheney "I'll get to the talking points, but I'll say what I want to" stuff. She seems like the person who gets on board, only breaking when it is most important. (Unforunately she doesn't think every time is most important.)

I do think the Biden-Obama camp might be underestimating her. When I heard the limitations on the debate, I first thought "to protect Palin" but then I thought "to protect Biden from rambling." Both camps want to avoid a direct confrontation, but honestly, I'd be more afraid of Biden doing it. People like the "gut instinct" factor, just look at Bush.

(Let me say, I don't care who wins, we're fucked either way in my opinion. I prefer McCain just because of how unhinged some people I know will become, and I luv the lulz when it comes to politics.)

benjipwns said:
I don't trust the media, flatout. That's the key point. I assume something had to be cut. If they did the same to Obama I'd say the same thing.
I don't trust the media completely, but if there was some serious editing that made her look worse, the McCain camp would have sounded the alarm bells the moment it was aired. Instead, they kept pretty silent and for good reason. No need to keep that thing in the public eye any longer than it will be on its own.

I do think the Biden-Obama camp might be underestimating her. When I heard the limitations on the debate, I first thought "to protect Plain" but then I thought "to protect Biden from rambling." Both camps want to avoid a direct confrontation, but honestly, I'd be more afraid of Biden doing it. People like the "gut instinct" factor, just look at Bush.
I really think people are overplaying Biden's gaffe-making capability in the debate. Screwing up on the stump or going a little off message is one thing during a once to twice a day speech-kind of campaign schedule (with one or more interviews on a daily basis as well), but a big appearance is something different and has the kind of special care and attention that causes most to be a bit more deliberate. We'll see how it goes unless the McCain camp chickens out before even going.

(Let me say, I don't care who wins, we're fucked either way in my opinion. I prefer McCain just because of how unhinged some people I know will become, and I luv the lulz when it comes to politics.)
You're insane. Even for the greatest of cheap laughs, I wouldn't want to imperil any further the future of this country I live in. But whateva...

benjipwns

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
the McCain camp would have sounded the alarm bells the moment it was aired.
I don't think they're that competent. :lol
I really think people are overplaying Biden's gaffe-making capability in the debate.
Oh definitely. But look at the Hillary stuff. Just one wrong move, just one, becomes everything. Biden won't make a thousand gaffes like McCain ones, but I won't rule out the wrong one at the wrong time that becomes the media obsession for the next week.
You're insane. Even for the greatest of cheap laughs, I wouldn't want to imperil any further the future of this country I live in. But whateva...
I gave up long ago. Neither Obama, nor McCain will fix the fundamental problems.

mj1108 said:
This won't be just 90 minutes...it'll be 90 minutes on live television being watched by probably 50 or 60 million people.

A whole different league than a taped interview that can be edited down.

Which she bombed regardless.

I hope she says "next question" at least once, I need a good set of lulz.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
benjipwns said:
I gave up long ago. Neither Obama, nor McCain will fix the fundamental problems.

I hate with fire and brimstone, this attitude. You know why? It's the attitude of every retarded cynic; cynical for the sake of cynicsm, or the position of republicans that have conceded that they have fielded an unviable candidate.

What is fundamental problems supposed to mean anyway? Neither McCain nor Obama will fix these undefined arbitary, shifting goal problems that I believe the country faces, even though I neither have the experience or the understanding to articulate properly these problems and the solutions to them, even if they were staring me in the face.

It's to belie the gulf of differences between the 2 candidates, marginalize differences for the sake of not so pithy cynicism. For what benefit?

If you took the time to examine for a moment... one candidate is genuine, has been repeating the same, sound solid plan that has worked before and will work again; a plan rooted in empathy, in results.

Why do you not think there'll be fundamental differences between a move towards better education, encouraging new emerging industries that simultaneously help the economy and helps deal with a growing energy crisis.
A defined plan to move out of Iraq, versus a plan with an indefinite period of stay until arbitrary shifting goals are met.
You've got a candidate that's savvy with the internet and understands its nature and the need for an open standard to continue, versus one that dictates emails to his wife acting as a receptionist, who probably, like your grandmother, would have to ask inane questions about right click and not understanding the concept of focus (in a computer).

There's such a gulf of difference between the two candidates, that you need only open your eyes, glued shut from cynicism for a moment, to see the blinding gap between them.

Unfortunately... so many Americans still haven't grown up. Learnt to embrace their democracy rather than fight it; learnt to understand and love it, rather than to cast side long glances and its failures, without understanding their own role their cynicism plays in those failures.

Blackhead

Redarse
Crayon Shinchan said:
I hate with fire and brimstone, this attitude. You know why? It's the attitude of every retarded cynic; cynical for the sake of cynicsm, or the position of republicans that have conceded that they have fielded an unviable candidate.

What is fundamental problems supposed to mean anyway? Neither McCain nor Obama will fix these undefined arbitary, shifting goal problems that I believe the country faces, even though I neither have the experience or the understanding to articulate properly these problems and the solutions to them, even if they were staring me in the face.

It's to belie the gulf of differences between the 2 candidates, marginalize differences for the sake of not so pithy cynicism. For what benefit?

If you took the time to examine for a moment... one candidate is genuine, has been repeating the same, sound solid plan that has worked before and will work again; a plan rooted in empathy, in results.

Why do you not think there'll be fundamental differences between a move towards better education, encouraging new emerging industries that simultaneously help the economy and helps deal with a growing energy crisis.
A defined plan to move out of Iraq, versus a plan with an indefinite period of stay until arbitrary shifting goals are met.
You've got a candidate that's savvy with the internet and understands its nature and the need for an open standard to continue, versus one that dictates emails to his wife acting as a receptionist, who probably, like your grandmother, would have to ask inane questions about right click and not understanding the concept of focus (in a computer).

There's such a gulf of difference between the two candidates, that you need only open your eyes, glued shut from cynicism for a moment, to see the blinding gap between them.

Unfortunately... so many Americans still haven't grown up. Learnt to embrace their democracy rather than fight it; learnt to understand and love it, rather than to cast side long glances and its failures, without understanding their own role their cynicism plays in those failures.

So... vote for Nader?

wthiy9.png

kevm3

What is interesting is that the Couric and Gibson interviews were actually hand-picked by the McCain campaign, so if they started complaining about it, they'd look really hypocritical and probably would get even more negative press than they are getting now.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Tanned Greyface said:
So... vote for Nader?

wthiy9.png

Well that's annoying.

In truth, Obama will probably serve as the pivot for a fundamental change in America.

What we're seeing here in this election, is no less than the death knell of Republican politics. The neoconservative moment has been tried and it's failed. Traditional conservatism has been tried and lost. There's a growing disenfranchisement from those sorts of politics. Dirty politics, on both democrats and republican sides.

With the increasing power of the internet... as our generation age, we will become more critical consumers of media. We will be able to properly disseminate the bullshit been thrown at us.

Best of all... as the demographics of the country continues to change, so too will the politics. After a long time... hopefully, we'll be able to halt this insane and trying shift towards the right wing of politics, and bring it to a more centered, balanced platform for both parties, that's willing to compromise and provide realistic bipartisan approaches to issues that plague America and by extension a lot of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom