• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I'm taking bets on whether or not McCain will show up for the debate.

Step right up! Come one, come all! Will McCain make another boneheaded move? Find out on Friday!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Door2Dawn said:
What the fuck was the point of all this...
To make McCain look like a total fuck-up :lol

The Obama campaign REALLY should switch the debate this Friday to a Biden v. Palin debate if McCain insists on not showing. There would be NO excuse for Palin not to show up, and it would be hilarious and potentially a death blow to the McCain campaign.

I hope McCain shows up though, if only because I feel sorry for the guy and want him to at least put on a respectable performance. It's really sad what this election has become. And it's only September.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ABC NEWS DIDN'T SAY THAT. No bill is ready!

And yeah they should switch the debate to the VP debate, and Palin not showing up will do her.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So lets look over what has happened today:
-the bill was drafted before McCain could come in and "save the day"
-McCain got grilled by everyone and the public views his tactic as a political ploy
-Obama got the change to appear presidential in front of everyone again
-McCain's precious Foreign policy debate will now have economic questions due to McCain's unintential insistence
-McCain failed to delay the VP debate and today we also got evidence that Palin is still not ready for it

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
grandjedi6 said:
-McCain got grilled by everyone and the public views his tactic as a political ploy
-McCain's precious Foreign policy debate will now have economic questions due to McCain's unintential insistence
-McCain failed to delay the VP debate and today we also got evidence that Palin is still not ready for it

Bill didn't get drafted, heck Republicans are outright saying they are not letting it pass.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=atiAm2NTIqEQ&refer=home

House Republicans warned Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson today that his $700 billion financial rescue plan wouldn't pass and asked for more time to consider alternative ideas, lawmakers said.

``The $700 billion bill is simply not going to pass, and they recognize that,'' Representative Ray LaHood of Illinois said after Republicans met with Paulson behind closed doors at the U.S. Capitol today. ``Now it is up to Congress.''

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Ether_Snake said:

And yeah they should switch the debate to the VP debate, and Palin not showing up will do her.
I don't see it on their website. Was it said on TV or something?

Artredis?!

grandjedi6 said:

Obama is sooooooooo screwed.

Trurl

Banned
artredis1980 said:
Breaking News ABC: Final Deal has been drafted, might be put through thursday afternoon
Link?

If true it doesn't sit right with me at all.

Have the president go out and scare the shit out of America and then "surprise! We're done!" I can't help but to be a tin foil hat guy. :-/

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Ether_Snake said:
How about Reuters then?

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSTRE48O0LM20080925

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. congressional Democrats and Republicans plan to meet on Thursday to draft a final bipartisan Wall Street bailout bill, a Democratic source said on Wednesday night.

"Not too many unresolved issues remain," the source said.

The source spoke after meetings earlier in the day by Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and members of the House of Representatives and Senate.

House and Senate Democrats, along with some Republican committee members, intend "to sit down at 10 a.m. (1400 GMT) tomorrow to draft a final bipartisan bill to be passed and signed into law," the Democratic source said.

Earlier on Wednesday, Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd emerged from a meeting with Paulson and other Democratic senators saying there was no deal yet on a financial bailout bill, but he expressed optimism one could come soon.

"We're not there yet," Dodd told reporters, adding there was a "good possibility we'll get there in a day or so."

Dodd refused to discuss details of the negotiations, but said lawmakers would work deliberatively on a bill he said could have an impact for "decades."

Trurl said:
Link?

If true it doesn't sit right with me at all.

Have the president go out and scare the shit out of America and then "surprise! We're done!" I can't help but to be a tin foil hat guy. :-/

The TPM link says that the draft of the bill was "98% done" as of this morning.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
teiresias said:
H . . . O . . . L . . . Y . . . @#$%!!!!!!! :lol :lol

I swear, if the country gives McCain any kind of credit for his ridiculous behavior today I'll have lost all faith in humanity.

I mean, neither of them are on the relevant committees, so what the hell does he plan to do? He can be a talking head on the campaign trail just as easily as he can be one in Washington.

People with common sense knows that this was some bullshit :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ok now Reuters is on it, I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Either way if it does get through tomorrow it means McCain can't postpone the debate, but he still gets to claim he put country first.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. congressional Democrats and Republicans plan to meet on Thursday to draft a final bipartisan Wall Street bailout bill, a Democratic source said on Wednesday night.

"Not too many unresolved issues remain," the source said.

The source spoke after meetings earlier in the day by Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and members of the House of Representatives and Senate.

House and Senate Democrats, along with some Republican committee members, intend "to sit down at 10 a.m. (1400 GMT) tomorrow to draft a final bipartisan bill to be passed and signed into law," the Democratic source said.

Earlier on Wednesday, Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd emerged from a meeting with Paulson and other Democratic senators saying there was no deal yet on a financial bailout bill, but he expressed optimism one could come soon.

"We're not there yet," Dodd told reporters, adding there was a "good possibility we'll get there in a day or so."

Dodd refused to discuss details of the negotiations, but said lawmakers would work deliberatively on a bill he said could have an impact for "decades."

Why does this scare the shit out of me?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
PhoenixDark said:
So dems get what they want, it might pass...where does this leave McCain? Does he vote against it or vote for it?

Of course he votes for it.

Door2Dawn

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
So dems get what they want, it might pass...where does this leave McCain? Does he vote against it or vote for it?
If he doesn't want to lose this election,he better vote for it.

PhoenixDark said:

VERY dangerous for him to vote against it now -- if it gets to the floor in the form that we've been reading about -- since it's a very taxpayer leaning resolution. It has various provisions for Main Street while holding Wall Street far more accountable.

kame-sennin said:
The debate commission is run by the two major parties. There's no way third parties are getting in. It's a shame two, as Nader and Barr would have really interesting perspectives on the current economic situation.

Nader....hah...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
CharlieDigital said:
VERY dangerous for him to vote against it now -- if it gets to the floor in the form that we've been reading about -- since it's a very taxpayer leaning resolution. It has various provisions for Main Street while holding Wall Street far more accountable.

I'll believe it when I read it.

GhaleonEB

CharlieDigital said:
The provisions to funnel future profits back to pay this off - essentially making it a loan, not a gift - are crucial.

This has got to be the most epic backfire ever. Campaign put on hold, debates tossed in the air, Palin bombs... and all for nothing. Absolutely nothing.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Oh, my god. This Couric interview.

/shudder

It's like she has no original thought in her entire brain and just repeats what the campaign told her.

AniHawk

PhoenixDark said:

Vote for it and be a Maverick, certainly. He's been the pro-regulation guy for a whole week now.

GhaleonEB said:
The provisions to funnel future profits back to pay this off - essentially making it a loan, not a gift - are crucial.

In the end though...isn't that just prolonging the problem? The loans most likely still won't get paid off, and giving profits back isn't going to strengthen the already floundering banks.

_leech_ said:
This has got to be the most epic backfire ever. Campaign put on hold, debates tossed in the air, Palin bombs... and all for nothing. Absolutely nothing.
It's still too early to see the full impact of this "game changer". I say we wait and see the next couple of polls to see the full impact, imo.

The true impact on the electoral map should be also delayed by at least a week.

Hootie

So basically I am really excited to see what crazy shit goes down on Friday night. Whether or not there will be a debate, whether or not McCain will even show up, etc.

Politics in this country = hilarious, but awesome. Who needs reality TV when you have this? :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
GhaleonEB said:

It could be a VERY LONG TIME before the economy gets back into shape to the point where what the gov will have bought will be sold at a profit.

I am very pessimist on how quickly the economy could turn around to the point where tax payers could make their money back on this bailout.

It's all a bet that somehow the economy will not only do well from here on out, but GREAT. There are no signs of this at all.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
AniHawk said:
Vote for it and be a Maverick, certainly. He's been the pro-regulation guy for a whole week now.

He'll probably vote against it just to get attention..

because clearly at this point all press is good press right?

_leech_ said:

i dunno about that. like the palin pick, this is a distraction, and in that respect it's succeeded.

it'll take a week or two to claim any major fail or not. hopefully, it is.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
titiklabingapat said:
It's still too early to see the full impact of this "game changer". I saw we wait and see the next couple of polls to see the full impact, imo.

If Congress signs a bill in the next 48 hours, it'll be clear that McCain had absolutely nothing to do with it. It'll just make him look like he overreacted.

If it takes a couple days longer, then he might be able to convince some people that he had some influence over (or even involvement in) a bailout bill.

Bottom line, if the issue of the bailout bill is resolved quickly, it'll look really bad for McCain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom