• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREMATURE EJACULA-TON: PS3 delayed until November 2006 in Japan?

Monorojo

Banned
This is great news people.

PS2 is far from dead, if Sony rushed out the PS3 like MS did with X360 they would simply be wasting all of the potential PS2 still has. We get more time to enjoy the greatest console ever made, which still has an unbelievable lineup of upcoming games (unlike GCN or Xbox)

Also, for Sony, it means that they will make it just in time for the Holiday season! Huge sales right off the back.

I mean, i can't really understand how any gamers can take this as bad news. Everyone wins.

Tiger

Banned
This delay should be suprising to NO ONE. I just can't see them delaying the PS2 until 2007 for the U.S though. That just seems like a huge mistake if they let that happen. Microsoft would have a huge foothold on the next gen market by early 2007.

Johnas

Well finally we have a month named anyway.

I guess this'll be repeated tonight? Hopefully with some more interesting info.

TheDuce22

Banned
I know the Sony camp will argue ps2 is kicking ass, huge backlog, blah blah blah but this is a pretty big fuck up if its not launching in japan untill november simply because of BlueRay.

Geoff9920

You mean people actually believed the "spring 2006" launch date. I thought they were just arguing out of shear boredom. (seriously)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I do hope that means a "simu-launch" for the US and Japan, then.

The reasoning seems so off, though. Why would Blu-ray copy protection hold it back till Nov when other players will be out earlier than that?

qcf x2

They made it clear they are not fond of the idea of a worldwide simultaneous launch, so it's fair to assume it won't release in the U.S. till 2007. Of course this won't stop psychos from spending thousands to get their hands on an import.

If the 360 has another Christmas sans PS3, there could be trouble for Sony.

Matlock

Banned
shoplifter said:
It's Nihon Keizai, they're talking about Japan. I'm now wondering if this will push it past Christmas in North America or whether they're going to do the MS worldwide launch.

SCEE said there was no focus on a simultaneous launch.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I doubt we will see the PS3 at all in 2006. Sucks for them though.

I wonder when Nintendo plans to be out. Cause if they could beat Sony that would be huge for them.

Borys

Banned
Aww, fuck.

Microsoft stock is up?

Double fuck :(

r_ms-wd99.jpg

At least I didn't bet on any release date.

Kicko

Wait does this mean it's on schedule for a November 2006 release in Japan? If so, we won't see the PS3 stateside until possibly March 2007.

Rev+360 FTW.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
sonycowboy said:
All signs point to this NOT being a HW issue. It's a Blu-Ray (and really) a SW issue. There will likely be a NICE supply of HW for launch.

If that is true, the delay means less in the whole sceme of things, and a Japan + USA launch in November should be possible. But, i'm not getting my hopes up.

GhaleonEB

hahahahahahahah

A couple of things -

I wonder if Blu-Ray is a nice scapegoat here and there are actually deeper issues with the platform. Just random speculation.

If they launch in November in Japan, no way in hell they can pull off a US launch this year, at least not in any kind of volume. Microsoft and party.

7Th

Well, that about wraps it up for Sony.

Oh wait...

Nevertheless, I still had my hopes they were going to launch this year in America. 2007 in USA is no different from a market suicide.

Amir0x

Banned
Only hope is Simultaneous launch for Japan and US, push Euro to 2007. Still massive shortages, but at least they wouldn't miss ANOTHER Christmas in this most critical territory.

And letting them come out, and not have a few months lead on Revo in Japan... could spell trouble.

This is just bad news any way you shake it.

Crisis

Banned
Monorojo said:

PS2 is far from dead, if Sony rushed out the PS3 like MS did with X360 they would simply be wasting all of the potential PS2 still has. We get more time to enjoy the greatest console ever made, which still has an unbelievable lineup of upcoming games (unlike GCN or Xbox)

Also, for Sony, it means that they will make it just in time for the Holiday season! Huge sales right off the back.

I mean, i can't really understand how any gamers can take this as bad news. Everyone wins.

Monorojo
SONY DAMAGE CONTROL SPECIAL OFFICER
(Today, 12:15 PM)
Reply | Quote

:lol

You deserve a promotion to Corporal after that one.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Monorojo said:

Monorojo
SONY DAMAGE CONTROL SPECIAL OFFICER

Good work *shakes hand*

duckroll

Wow this really sucks for everyone involved. Sucks for fans, sucks for Sony, sucks for developers, sucks for publishers. WHAT THE FUCK IS UP SONY?!

I'm pretty surprised if it is indeed true that we may not see PS3 until 2007 in the US. I like my PS2 and all and still play it but damn 360 makes it seem old and I'm glad to have 360 to get some next-gen in this year (and hopefully Rev in Nov., as a side thought I think this really would help Rev's start in the US) Maybe God of War 2 will come out before PS3....

Ponn

Banned
Still waiting for E3. Only thing that matters is U.S. holiday launch which WILL happen, be it worldwide launch or not. They have more then enough time to stock up on hardware for a worldwide launch and there is no way they would be stupid enough to let MS have two holiday seasons.

Monorojo

Banned
Yup, a year headstart for Dreamcast spelled doom upon Sony!

Its been proven numberous times that head starts dont mean jack when you are against the Sony hype machine.

7Th

Monorojo said:

Most fitting tag. EVER.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
sonycowboy said:
All signs point to this NOT being a HW issue. It's a Blu-Ray (and really) a SW issue. There will likely be a NICE supply of HW for launch.

Are you implying that Sony will have a worldwide launch?

I just figured, if they were delaying the launch, and they usually launch in Japan first, that we would get it launched for us months after that original launch.

Here's a gigantic newsflash:

The Nihon Keizai Shimbun has been wrong before. Most recently late last year when the newspaper reported that Sony and Toshiba had reached a deal to combine the BD and HD-DVD technologies into a single format.

GhaleonEB

Monorojo said:

Holy shit what a tool. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
qcf x2 said:
They made it clear they are not fond of the idea of a worldwide simultaneous launch, so it's fair to assume it won't release in the U.S. till 2007

Japan and the US wouldn't be worldwide..

There were rumours also before of a simultanous launch (JPN/US) in September.

Just my hope, anyway. If it was purely a copyprotection issue then they should be able to start manufacturing the hardware early, and provide enough supply for two territories.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

BTW, I'm picking up a premium 360 today with GRAW & PGR3. I needs some consolation.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
unsurprising, but they have to attempt a worldwide launch...or at least a "screw the pal regions" launch. the scee guy's statement only applied to europe, i think, and didn't actually rule out a simultaneous launch. the blu-ray excuse is strange, particularly if dedicated players are still on schedule.

Monorojo said:

looks at tag....i see

are you fuckin retarded???

Kicko

Truelize said:
I wonder when Nintendo plans to be out. Cause if they could beat Sony that would be huge for them.

Nintendo plans to hit the market this year, in both the States and Japan.

Top Bottom