• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREMATURE EJACULA-TON: PS3 delayed until November 2006 in Japan?

Otto

robertsan21 said:
oh well might aswell be delayed doesnt matter as X360 will still NOT be a threat!

sony is and will be the king of gaming and thank god for that!

More games will be ready at launch and that the best thing with this delay!
Dont want a crappy launch list like the 360 had

:lol You keep thinking that but if any of this is true then the 360 will absolutely be a threat (not to say it wasn't one before this news).

If the system is delayed until 2007 it gives the 360 another holiday season as the must have new hardware as far as consoles are concerned.

It also gives an opportunity for more quality software to come out on the 360 to help combat PS3 launch games.

Lastly, by next year MS could potentially lower the price of the 360 to deter some from immediately picking up a Ps3.

I just can't believe the PS3 won't make it to the US in 2006. I won't believe it until I get 100% confirmation.

2/14/06: The day GAF made me cry

birdcry1ol.jpg

"Blue Ray am gone the way of this Blue Jay?"

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Even IF, and it's a big IF, Sony break precedent and do a worldwide simultaneous launch in November, how many units can they really have ready for their two biggest territories?

PS3s on Ebay for $1000+ FTW!

gofreak said:
Some have a year or more with PS3 under their belt now :p And (for better or worse), will probably have a lot more time with it before launch also.

ok and every developer has already said that the ps3 is much harder to program for than the 360 and tha you wont really be able to notice much of a difference until later in the consoles lifecycles. to say this will have no effect on sony is completely dumb. alot of third party support will shift to MS because companies still need to make money, they cant wait for sony to get their shit together when they know theyll sale games on the 360

i mean ill be there day one for ps3, but i gurantee this gen the war will be much closer for who comes away with the top spot

Teddman

Flashback to just three weeks ago...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=14821
Sony denies PlayStation 3 delay reports
Illustration
Rob Fahey 09:10 20/02/2006

Next-generation console still on track for Spring launch, says spokesman

Sony Computer Entertainment spokesperson Kei Sakaguchi has officially denied reports from financial analysts at Merrill Lynch that the PS3 could be delayed by several months, reiterating that the console will launch this spring.

Sakaguchi was responding to allegations made by Merrill Lynch analyst Joe Osha in a report published late last week, in which Osha claimed that the PS3 could launch in autumn in Japan, with a US launch possibly being delayed to early 2007.

"There is no change in our original plan to release the console in spring 2006," Sakaguchi told the press in Tokyo, referring to the company's only stated goal for the launch so far - namely that the console will appear in at least one territory, most likely Japan, this spring.

Tiktaalik

This was totally expected by me, although I thought maybe Sony would try to go for a slightly earlier release in Japan so that they could squeak out a November NA release. I think Sony feels that because of Microsoft's disasterous launch that the pressure is off a bit and they can delay a little while to refine things and get the price down. The fact is is that upcoming PS2 titles are at are looking least as good if not better (in my opinion) than upcoming Xbox 360 titles so I think Sony should be able to do alright through this. Still, missing Christmas in NA is a huge mistake.

I think Microsoft should be able to pick up some NA marketshare because of this, but Sony isn't out of the race by any means.

pixelfish

Banned
robertsan21 said:
oh well might aswell be delayed doesnt matter as X360 will still NOT be a threat!

sony is and will be the king of gaming and thank god for that!

More games will be ready at launch and that the best thing with this delay!
Dont want a crappy launch list like the 360 had

:lol

I know the Sony fans are dissapointed but jesus people! :lol

evil ways

Bummer, but unless 360 gets MGS4 and DMC4 before the PS3 is released I don't see myself running to the store to buy one just to make up for a PS3 delay.

Wollan

Hey, atleast they set themselves up for the ultimate challenge ey?
If they don't fall now, they never will. :lol

Marathon

Sony's DrGAKMAN
truffleshuffle83 said:
ok and every developer has already said that the ps3 is much harder to program for than the 360

truffleshuffle83 said:
and tha you wont really be able to notice much of a difference until later in the consoles lifecycles.

truffleshuffle83 said:
alot of third party support will shift to MS because companies still need to make money,

truffleshuffle83 said:
they cant wait for sony to get their shit together when they know theyll sale games on the 360

truffleshuffle83 said:
but i gurantee this gen the war will be much closer for who comes away with the top spot

Your avatar is fitting, you live in a retarded fantasy world, Kramer.

This thread f-ing rules!

Please everyone rush right out an buy a 360, there's plenty in stores. I dare you...

Back to coding. Have fun!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Considering Sony its an 07 release in the US. Hopefully they wake up and realize they seriously can't afford to do that.

It was 100% guaranteed an at least November release in the US, that much was stupidly obvious but I didn't there would be a chance of it slipping into 2007. Wow they really fucked up.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Marathon said:

This thread f-ing rules!

Please everyone rush right out an buy a 360, there's plenty in stores. I dare you...

Ooooooooooooooooh. An insider.

Kutaragi: "This isn't a delay. Even in November, it's spring SOMEWHERE. Like Chile, where I'm going to be hiding from shareholders for the next few months. Laterz!"

I don't really buy that this is strictly blu-ray related, but assuming it is:

1) Sony must drop that shit, NOW.

2) Failing that, they must release in the U.S. first, or at the very least, a dual release. Either of these is about as likely as finding a snowball in hell.

3) I previously was of the opinion that Sony, as a corporate entity, was not suicidal. I think that if they truly do not intend to launch in the West before holiday 2006 that they may be, in fact, suicidal.

4) Sony can still and probably will "win" but it now likely won't be by any large margin and leaves them VERY susceptible in the future. At any rate, it seems we'll finally see an actual competition. They could also start really bleeding some exclusives if this thing won't be out for a year-year and a half anywhere in the West.

So, the PS3 could indeed walk right into Halo 3. Snaps.

We shall see. I FULLY expected the Revolution to be the last console released, but now...wow.

neo2046

oops, I just find this post has been sticked

definitely a bad news to SONY
and very likely the 2006's Christmas belongs to X360, NDS and PSP

duckroll

I guess this is why Square Enix "has no idea what kind of machine the PS3 is" right now. Sony doesn't have any idea either! :lol

Ponn

Banned
jetjevons said:
Even IF, and it's a big IF, Sony break precedent and do a worldwide simultaneous launch in November, how many units can they really have ready for their two biggest territories?

Quite a lot. This is only freaking March. When do you think MS started production 360? Most of the launch 360's were marked as October.

Odysseus said:
Xbox 360 world domination plan to hit hyperactive overdrive in August with Madden NFL 07

It's funny I was thinking about this to. IF PS3 is an early '07 NA launch, that's means the next "next-gen" Madden will be on 360 alone for the holiday (along with a probable Rev version in Nov/Dec) and 360s will probably be available to buy more readily. Interesting...

Mrbob

Wow.

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW.

I'm shocked. Really, I am. This probably means 2007 for USA. This also means western development will be focused on X360, perhaps now for the entire generation with PS3 version afterwards. We need some animated gifs of MS execs dancing because you know they are partying at the moment about this news.

Madden 07 X360 next gen exclusive again. And this time the game won't suck. Big blow for Sony.

yoopoo said:
Durr

Which idiot at gaf didn't know it was going to be delayed?

Haha, this is the new "Who ever expected PSP to dethrone Nintendo as the handheld king?" Record time, boys. Eurasia is our ally, Eastasia is the enemy! Initiate the two minutes hate.

Seriously, though, shouldn't we wait for more clear confirmation?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
PhoenixDark said:
So, the PS3 could indeed walk right into Halo 3. Snaps.
HAHAHA that's right! Bill Gates is a prophet he knew this would happen. It's pretty much guaranteed Halo 3 will be released for the PS3 release now.

No surprise there. It's annoying though; the X360 is nice and all, but it's not a valid substitute for a next gen Sony console. Too many conservative and/or uninspired games, nothing remarkable.

Marathon said:

This thread f-ing rules!

you cant disprove any of those statments , keep up the damage control though i can almost taste your tears

new units are hitting the shelves everday and i gurantee theres more available then there are ps3's

sony isnt exactly the most financialy sound company out there and when their primamry money maker is having problems you can bet there will be some adverse affects on their finances

Phoenix

I'm confused by this as AACS was finalized last month. The only thing not 'done' is the writing on the license agreements:

"NEXT GENERATION CONTENT PROTECTION SPECIFICATION -
ADVANCED ACCESS CONTENT SYSTEM (AACS) – MADE AVAILABLE FOR LICENSING

Technology, Entertainment and CE Industry Alliance Collaborates to Expedite Consumer Access to Next-Generation High-Definition Digital Entertainment
LOS ANGELES, Calif., February 21, 2006 - AACS LA founders IBM, Intel Corporation, Microsoft, Panasonic (Matsushita Electric), Sony, Toshiba, The Walt Disney Company, and Warner Bros. Studios today announced the immediate availability of AACS (ADVANCED ACCESS CONTENT SYSTEM) under interim licensing agreements.

The AACS specification accelerates the ability of consumers to enjoy exciting, new, flexible entertainment experiences and storage options, while continuing to provide the traditional, straightforward playback mode, for the next generation of prerecorded and recordable optical media such as Blu-Ray and HD DVD. Additionally, AACS is designed to create unprecedented flexibility, portability and security for entertainment content to be enjoyed on networked home, portable PC or CE devices.

“This technology is the product of unprecedented collaboration between the consumer electronics, IT and entertainment industries to facilitate the next generation of high-definition entertainment,” said Michael B. Ayers, AACS LA spokesperson. “We’re confident that AACS will immediately enable a host of compelling new digital entertainment experiences for consumers around the globe.”

“While next generation HD players are in final assembly, and movies are being mastered, the AACS architects are ensuring consumers can enjoy the HD picture, sound and robust portability potential of AACS without any further delays. Much more than just HD movies, AACS delivers new consumer interactivity, portability and feature enhancement after purchase on a scale like no other consumer digital entertainment system can,” said Richard Doherty, Research Director for the Envisioneering Group. “AACS represents a cross-industry team of chip, consumer electronics, PC designers and content creators, all dedicated to enriching the consumer’s home and portable entertainment experience.”

The final license agreement for AACS is expected to be announced in the coming months. In the meantime, companies in the consumer electronics, IT and entertainment industries are now able to develop devices and solutions based on the published specs and compliance rules.
More information on AACS LA and ADVANCED ACCESS CONTENT SYSTEM can be found on the group’s website, www.aacsla.com.

Draft

My Arms Your Hearse said:
I don't really buy that this is strictly blu-ray related, but assuming it is:

1) Sony must drop that shit, NOW.
Not going to happen. Blu Ray becoming the defacto digital media is just as important to Sony as the PS3 doing well. Probably even more important. Fanatics may want to believe Blu Ray was included in the PS3 spec to improve games, but it's really there so Sony can sneak it into your living room.

SuperPac

Zaxxon said:
This was totally expected by me, although I thought maybe Sony would try to go for a slightly earlier release in Japan so that they could squeak out a November NA release. I think Sony feels that because of Microsoft's disasterous launch that the pressure is off a bit and they can delay a little while to refine things and get the price down. The fact is is that upcoming PS2 titles are at are looking least as good if not better (in my opinion) than upcoming Xbox 360 titles so I think Sony should be able to do alright through this. Still, missing Christmas in NA is a huge mistake.

It's not just a huge mistake for Sony. A lot of US/JP third-party publishers were/are counting on a PS3 launch in order to make profits this year and keep their stockholders happy. A PS3 no-show this year would have drastic affects on those outlooks and could drive any already-limping third parties into critical condition. Likewise it has an affect on the ad dollars that are spent on TV/online and in print magazines; no big new system to preorder and preorder games for has an affect on Gamestop/EB's bottom line. There are lots of trickle-down affects.

The good news is that the 360 and Rev will be around. But if Nintendo launches strong (remember that they haven't shown all their Revolution cards yet) and cheap, Sony could face a huge problem in both Japan and the US.

I think Microsoft should be able to pick up some NA marketshare because of this, but Sony isn't out of the race by any means.

They'll be down, not out -- that's true. But with the games industry in Japan in a bit of a slump and Nintendo targeting casual gamers with a low price and easy-to-pick-up, fun games, Sony's going to have some strong competition this time 'round. They ain't gonna have a head start. And unlike the US, the Japanese market doesn't seem as concerned with ZOMG graphics. Look at the madness around the DS Lite... Nintendo's on the verge of a major comeback there.

Tiktaalik

Sony is fighting a two front war. I think normally it would be a no brainer to launch in NA first, since the xbox360 is not a threat in Japan, but they're feeling the threat of a Nov 06 Revolution launch.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
John Harker said:
I'm more shocked so many people are shocked at this news.
I don't think many people believed that we'd be seriously talking about a U.S. delay all the way until 2007. It was always obvious that it'd never make Spring here, but missing the holidays? I dunno, I think that's cause for some shock considering the implications.

<nu>faust

i don't buy this "it's only because of blu-ray" poopenzeldroppencrap, i mean the lack of having hdmi/aac standarts might be a factor, it might even be the most important facor that lead to a delay..... but it can't be the only one. can it?

Top Bottom