• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Bishop89

Right now it's just Facebook. People will see whatever name is on your Facebook account.

They're adding in other sites in the future, I believe.
So they will only see my real name, not my psn id. Ie: "john doe has uploaded a video of bla bla" not "HARDCORE_GAMER 123456 uploaded a video of bla bla" correct?

So, made some PS4 avatar badges for the community. I can't actually remember if I've seen PS avy badges on GAF before, so thought I'd make some.

They come in two sizes, and all 4 corners.

Regular size:

ps4-badge-med-bldvulr.png
ps4-badge-med-brt7uz9.png
ps4-badge-med-tlbnu0k.png
ps4-badge-med-trpmuxv.png

Smaller size:

ps4-badge-small-tlf5uq2.png
ps4-badge-small-trjrugb.png
ps4-badge-small-blhyuzu.png
ps4-badge-small-brnkusu.png

Examples:

ps4-badge-demo-baconss7uh5.png
ps4-badge-demo-stalli27u84.png
ps4-badge-demo-yadojkud5.png

Have fun :) If Amir0x wasn't banned I might have suggested linking here in the OP, haha.

For anyone without an image editing app, the online Pixlr image editor is decent. Open both your avatar and the badge from URLs or files then Ctrl+A to select all, and copy/paste the badge on top of your avatar. Easy as anything.

amazing thanks :)

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
So, made some PS4 avatar badges for the community. I can't actually remember if I've seen PS avy badges on GAF before, so thought I'd make some.

Regular size:

Smaller size:

Examples:

Have fun :) If Amir0x wasn't banned I might have suggested linking here in the OP, haha.

For anyone without an image editing app, the online Pixlr image editor is decent. Open both your avatar and the badge from URLs or files then Ctrl+A to select all, and copy/paste the badge on top of your avatar. Easy as anything.

Thanks dude!

Replicant

I meant on facebook, not "whats new" or wherever ppl get friends updates.

That'd depend on how you set up your PS4/Facebook connection. You can choose from the usual Public/Friends/Only Me/specific group of friends that you've already set up on Facebook. Warning though, if you set it to anything other than public, your PSN friends (as opposed to your Facebook friends) won't be able to see the screenshots/videos you uploaded on Facebook.

Also, on PS4, they don't get a link to your Facebook so they won't see your real name. They just see the video embedded on their "What's New" area and if you set your Facebook permission to anything other than public, the video area will be blank.

Bishop89

That'd depend on how you set up your PS4/Facebook connection. You can choose from the usual Public/Friends/Only Me/specific group of friends that you've already set up on Facebook. Warning though, if you set it to anything other than public, your PSN friends (as opposed to your Facebook friends) won't be able to see the screenshots/videos you uploaded on Facebook.

Also, on PS4, they don't get a link to your Facebook so they won't see your real name. They just see the video embedded on their "What's New" area and if you set your Facebook permission to anything other than public, the video area will be blank.
Hmm, I would prefer to remain anonymous to my psn friends whilst at the same time not revealing my psn id to my facebook friends... I guess ill just do "only me" for now and when sony decide to give us options besides facebook, ill just move my videos over. Thanks :)

EDIT: so psn friends cant see real name or get link? So is there a way for only psn friends to see the video then without my facebook friends seeing it, since psn friends need "public"

Replicant

Hmm, I would prefer to remain anonymous to my psn friends whilst at the same time not revealing my psn id to my facebook friends... I guess ill just do "only me" for now and when sony decide to give us options besides facebook, ill just move my videos over. Thanks :)

EDIT: so psn friends cant see real name or get link? So is there a way for only psn friends to see the video then without my facebook friends seeing it, since psn friends need "public"

Yeah, I said it before, if you set up your PS4 so that your PSN friends can't see your name (by choosing "Only display my PSN name") then your PSN friends won't see your name unless they request it. It doesn't matter how you set up your Facebook (public/friends/me only). It has no bearing on whether or not your real name appears.

Your real name does appear in your what's new. But ignore that. Your PSN friends won't see that unless you approve them to see it. As a test, friend one of your PSN alt account and see if you can see your real name from the other account.

Bishop89

Yeah, I said it before, if you set up your PS4 so that your PSN friends can't see your name (by choosing "Only display my PSN name") then your PSN friends won't see your name unless they request it. It doesn't matter how you set up your Facebook (public/friends/me only). It has no bearing on whether or not your real name appears.

Your real name does appear in your what's new. But ignore that. Your PSN friends won't see that unless you approve them to see it. As a test, friend one of your PSN alt account and see if you can see your real name from the other account.
Cool cool, thanks a lot. Bit paranoid with things like this lol

Cess007

Regular size:

Smaller size:

Examples:

Hahaha awesome :)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

The bolded is incorrect, there's a direct link to the Facebook posting containing the video when looking at it in the What's New section, this opens in the PS4 browser.

On Facebook, people will see whatever you have put as your name on Facebook, plus any Facebook comments on that video (and any other public posts you got).

Here's an example video: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151959971424272

They don't necessarily have to be set to public, one can view "Friend's only" videos as well as long as they're linked to directly (just not within What's New on PS4, but in a browser).

viveks86

For those concerned about what they share with their Facebook friends, I'd suggest you create a dedicated Facebook account just for video/screenshot sharing. I did this and made everything public. It's a lot more convenient now!

RedAssedApe

Banned
Can you hide yourself from the what's new feed? pretty annoying since i game the most out of my friends so my feed is just filled with "henhowc started playing x game"

Replicant

The bolded is incorrect, there's a direct link to the Facebook posting containing the video when looking at it in the What's New section, this opens in the PS4 browser.

On Facebook, people will see whatever you have put as your name on Facebook, plus any Facebook comments on that video (and any other public posts you got).

Here's an example video: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151959971424272

They don't necessarily have to be set to public, one can view "Friend's only" videos as well as long as they're linked to directly (just not within What's New on PS4, but in a browser).

This never works for me. I've seen my PSN friends embed their vids but because their Facebook share is set to "Friends" (aka their Facebook friends), I can never see them. I can't click on them either.

For those concerned about what they share with their Facebook friends, I'd suggest you create a dedicated Facebook account just for video/screenshot sharing. I did this and made everything public. It's a lot more convenient now!

But you still can't hide your real name unless, of course, you use fake name on this new Facebook account. That's what annoys me. Especially if the video does indeed link to the Facebook account.

Pop

Regular size:

Smaller size:

Examples:

Awesome! Thanks

I agree, I do think some people are being silent about it for whatever reason. I just dont have the patience at the moment. As I said, it will only be a temporary switch to xbone for about a year, and by then, hopefully PS4 will have some killer games that Im interested in.

I think it's you having a hard time thinking some people may not share the same opinion. Exclusive wise I'm not seeing any discrepancy at all between the two. Uncharted, The Order, MLB the show, Driveclub, Infamous against the Xbox One exclusive lineup in 2014 seem pretty even to me. Especially if you have no interest in PC gaming and add third party games to the mix. That makes the decision much easier. And while you have every right to want an xbox one for Titanfall, the thought of spending $500 for an 'exclusive' that is available on two other platforms would not be that appealing to a lot of people.

Pretty cool thanks.

Does anyone here play Blacklight Retribution? I cant see how the devs can expect anyone to pay for this game it lags like crazy, has audio bugs and other performance issues. Its a pretty fun game otherwise but with its performance i dont see how they expect anyone to open their wallet. I even had a few matches where it didnt show my psn id and just said player and the xp and credits you earn dont count once its fixes itself.
It runs like dog shit and is basically unplayable for that type of game. It's a shame because it plays really well on a PC. They should have never released it as a launch game.

def sim

I don't want to hide my activities from others. I want to hide my own activities on my own what's new page so that I don't clutter it up with my own activities. :)

Oh, sorry, I misread. I don't think that's possible just yet. It's pretty silly that it's telling me everything that I've done!

viveks86

But you still can't hide your real name unless, of course, you use fake name on this new Facebook account. That's what annoys me. Especially if the video does indeed link to the Facebook account.

True. Wasn't worried about using my real name, so that seemed ok for me. I didn't want to constantly broadcast what I'm playing to my Facebook friends, so this worked perfectly. Also, as you said, you could setup a fake name on the new account, if need be.

Swishh

Banned
I think it's you having a hard time thinking some people may not share the same opinion. Exclusive wise I'm not seeing any discrepancy at all between the two. Uncharted, The Order, MLB the show, Driveclub, Infamous against the Xbox One exclusive lineup in 2014 seem pretty even to me. Especially if you have no interest in PC gaming and add third party games to the mix. That makes the decision much easier. And while you have every right to want an xbox one for Titanfall, the thought of spending $500 for an 'exclusive' that is available on two other platforms would not be that appealing to a lot of people.

There is not an ounce of proof that uncharted 4 is coming out in 2014...not sure why people keep bringing that up.

viveks86

geordiemp

My other games consist of FIFA, BF4, killer instinct and Max:The curse of brotherhood.

Once I'm bored of those things, I still have ruse and dead rising three to get into.

The selection of things on xb1 that aren't just things I already played on pc are much greater on xb1.

PS4 has put its heart into gaming over all, but FOR NOW, its purity is not shining through FOR ME. If anything its serving as a negative until it starts to hit its stride.

Edit: holy crap I thought this was the 'i like the xb1 line up but want a ps4' thread...... maybe this post is a bit too much for this thread.....

Its good that we are all different, we have 2 360's and 2 ps3 in the house, but mainly play 360 cos its a better multiplat console, and all our favourite games are multiplat.

We moved over to 360 so much I never even bought TLOU and cant go back to the Ps3 controller, it bugs me. Ps4s will be out in 1 day...

I bought 2 x Ps4 for £ 325, and we can share digital games between the 2 and buy only 1 PS+ for the house.

The thought of paying 2 x £ 450 for Xbox One bundles for a machine that cant play the games important to us at next gen quality and probably 2 subs as well almost offends me and makes me grind my teeth.

Just to top it all the TV features and NFL and other USA centric stuff which wont work properly in the UK is like MS told us to get lost, we are not American, I feel like a jilted 18 year old kid after lovng the 360 so much.

I am still playing ME3 multiplayer on 360, once Ive had my fill its over for MS until Xbone 2. Luckily my 10 year old sons mates are also moving from Live to Ps4 for similar reasons, there area few casualties though...

ParityBit

Just got my PS4 tonight! Having a blast so far with Lego Marvel, Flower and Sound Shapes. Love just about everything about it.

Between my PS4 and XB1, I Am in gaming bliss!

I have found myself playing mostly Warframe on my PS4. There is a great GAF community and it's a lot of fun.

Leapt into the US PSN store for the first time... wow, what a world of difference compared to Asia PSN.

There's demos, Pinball Arcade, Sound Shape, Flower... and stuff. :O

(Yeah, somehow we don't have even Sony first-party titles in Asia yet. We do have Escape Plan though... and Dynasty Warriors and E-Mahjong.)

Regular size:

Smaller size:

Examples:

Perfect. Thanks.

ParityBit

Is it possible to get one that has both a PS4 and XB1? I really like the design.

Verendus

Banned
There is not an ounce of proof that uncharted 4 is coming out in 2014...not sure why people keep bringing that up.
The plan is to bring it in 2014. They didn't announce a game from late 2015 this early. No release date being provided is simply because they don't want to burden themselves. They learnt the hard way with UC3.

arimanius

Walked into Walmart yesterday for last min grocery shopping and walked out with a ps4, killzone, and AC4. Had no intentions of buying one anytime soon. Damn you lack of willpower!

I do have a quick question. For some reason the ps4 doesn't play nice with my tuner with hdmi, so I had to hook it up to a tv that I dont have a Ethernet drop by. How is playing online over wireless?

How to backup your save.

PSVITA:

1) PS-button
2) click Plus-icon
3) Upload

PS4:

1) PS-button
2) XMB
3) Settings
4) Saved Data Management
5) the game you're playing has to be closed
6) Saved Data in System Storage
7) Upload to Online Storage
8) click game
9) select file(s)
10) Upload

Pff.

I hope they automate this more in the future I lost my guacamelee save on PS3 at the expense of the learning curve.

Xbox made some good strides in this area with their syncing system. I played games at my cousins house and when you sign in all apps sync their states, resumes etc. Really nice touch.

No resigning in to apps like Netflix's etc either.

So I can't find this answer anywhere, but is there any way to share a video I captured without uploading to facebook or twitter? I just want to email it to myself or download it to a usb. Is that possible? Same question with screeengrabs.

Cess007

So I can't find this answer anywhere, but is there any way to share a video I captured without uploading to facebook or twitter? I just want to email it to myself or download it to a usb. Is that possible? Same question with screeengrabs.

Nop. So far, you can only share on Facebook (image or video) or Twitter (image). The option to copy to USB supposely will come later in a Fw. update

Nop. So far, you can only share on Facebook (image or video) or Twitter (image). The option to copy to USB supposely will come later in a Fw. update

ahh, ok got it. seems like a no-brainer to add that feature in since I never plan on syncing my social media and ps4. Thanks.

aravuus

Yay, got my PS4 even though it wasn't supposed to arrive until around 13th of January! Now if I just had some games and a proper TV to plug it in lol

Top Bottom