• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

viveks86

"Tries it out."
"This is not available in your region."

Damn IP-based region locking.

FKX0YTKFB7FYD1U.MEDIUM.gif

So what apps are available in your region (somewhere in Asia, I presume?)

I'm using a IP bypass, but it also doesn't work if you're using it on a non-US PSN account. So you need to be logged into the US account as well.

VPN? Any suggestions?

Netflix doesn't work as well. Blah.

So what apps are available in your region (somewhere in Asia, I presume?)

Haven't tried them all out... but,

Available App(plural) in the Region:
NBA Game Time

(Yes, only one media app )

Apps that can be Used:
IGN
Crunchyroll
NBA GameTime

Apps with IP-based region lock ( and maybe account as well ):
VidZone
Netflix

viveks86

VPN? Any suggestions?

NBA Game Time

Apps that can be Used:
IGN
Crunchyroll
NBA GameTime

VidZone
Netflix

Damn…

Damn…

We also don't have demos, movies, TV-shows and games like Flower, Sound Shapes, Tiny Brains, etc. Our PSN store is meager compared to the US store, with only Dynasty Warriors and E-Mahjong as our exclusive 'Asian experience."

But that's why I have my brother of same name and time of birth, but somehow happens to have a US address compensate with his superior American account, though.

=)

Region locking does still make things annoying for stuff like Netflix and Vidzone.

mstevens

How hot should the PS4 be running? It's not too hot to touch or anything, but it's definitely very warm. I currently have it laying down inside a spot in my entertainment center... should I take it out and sit it straight up on the ground instead?

edit: The fans are very quiet but seem to be working.. hot air is coming out.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
How hot should the PS4 be running? It's not too hot to touch or anything, but it's definitely very warm. I currently have it laying down inside a spot in my entertainment center... should I take it out and sit it straight up on the ground instead?

edit: The fans are very quiet but seem to be working.. hot air is coming out.
Like a warm cup of coffee on Christmas morning.

It gets warm like a PC, as long as the back and sides are reasonably clear in order to allow air intake (hidden in the side slits) and blowout (back) it should be perfectly fine.

Opened my PS4 today, damn it's hella slick.

I hope this isn't an idiotic question with an obvious answer, but how do I make it so that I don't automatically go online when I turn the console on?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Opened my PS4 today, damn it's hella slick.

I hope this isn't an idiotic question with an obvious answer, but how do I make it so that I don't automatically go online when I turn the console on?
Don't join your wifi network or have a cable plugged in?
But unless you like to have a doorstop, you need to go online and update the firmware.

thenexus6

So, um yeah I got a PS4 for christmas total surprise!

I am borrowing Killzone at the moment until I buy some games.. I have a question about those. So my sisters Fiancee has AC Black Flag, NFS Rivals on PS3 so is there a code inside the box I put into my PS4 and get the new version for a small price?

PSN isn't working, no surprise there so will have to wait to hook that up later!

Don't join your wifi network or have a cable plugged in?
But unless you like to have a doorstop, you need to go online and update the firmware.

I've already signed in with my PS3/Vita account and grabbed all the free stuff on PSN. I just want to fix it like my PS3, so that I don't automatically sign in when I start the console up, but so far I can't figure out how.

So, um yeah I got a PS4 for christmas total surprise!

I am borrowing Killzone at the moment until I buy some games.. I have a question about those. So my sisters Fiancee has AC Black Flag, NFS Rivals on PS3 so is there a code inside the box I put into my PS4 and get the new version for a small price?

PSN isn't working, no surprise there so will have to wait to hook that up later!

There should be codes but the problem is you need to have those PS3 games in the PS4 drive for you to be able to play those PS4 games. Yup, it's pretty weird but that's how Sony set it up so people didn't game the system.

Wow my ps4 quit reading discs on Christmas. Fuck you sony, since I bought my kids skylanders and lego marvel and they can't even play their presents. Seriously fucking blow me sony computer entertainment of America. I trusted you going into next gen. Then you fuck my family on Christmas.

Quick question, I have never downloaded something so large from PSN, but it shows the BF4 is about 33 gigs but the download is showing only 6400 MB (something like that). Whats up with this?

RoadHazard

Did anyone else's HDMI link just stop working?

I was going to use my TV remote to control the Blu Ray that I was watching but it just wouldn't work, not even in the menus. The weird thing is, it was working great just a few weeks ago. I have a Panasonic VT30 if that helps :/

I'm not sure if it's because of the 1.52 update....

Yep, has happened to me as well. At first I thought it might be an issue with my TV, but since you and I have completely different TVs (mine is a Sony Bravia) it might be a PS4 issue? The first time it happened I was able to fix it by switching HDMI ports and power cycling everything and stuff (not entirely sure what actually made it start working again), but the other day it happened again, and I haven't been able to get it working again. Maybe I haven't done exactly what I did the first time, will have to mess with it some more.

manfestival

This is so ridiculous that I cannot connect. I have been trying for the past ten minutes with no success and even it told me a couple times that the server is down for maintenance

thenexus6

So i'm playing Shadowfall, a little of the campaign system was very quiet. I jump online and the fans start and it gets pretty loud; well louder than I expected.. Other people having this?

zychi

Banned
anyone know if i can buy a ps3 version of a game and upgrade for $10 for ps4 still? i remember around black friday sony stopped the upgrade process for a bit

imtehman

Banned
So i haven't logged onto my PSN account ever since i sold my PS3. I just recently got a PS4 is there any way to check if my psn account is still there? mind you i sold my ps3 in like 2011 so its been two years since i logged on.

Gamespawn

So i haven't logged onto my PSN account ever since i sold my PS3. I just recently got a PS4 is there any way to check if my psn account is still there? mind you i sold my ps3 in like 2011 so its been two years since i logged on.

they never go away. just log into the webstore.

store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com

mstevens

Like a warm cup of coffee on Christmas morning.

It gets warm like a PC, as long as the back and sides are reasonably clear in order to allow air intake (hidden in the side slits) and blowout (back) it should be perfectly fine.

I made coffee about 10 minutes ago and my cup is almost exactly the same temperature as what I was feeling last night on the PS4, so thanks for that comparison! I guess it should be okay then.

Edit: One more question! I had bought a year of playstation + back in August good till next August. Now , I put my free month trial of playstation + in and I think it gave me 3 months. It says I'm good until next Christmas. I can't access the store right now, but last night it said something like "12/25/2013 Free Month Trial Playstation+ (3 months)" and it even had a price of $17 or something, which I assume was the code I put in. Anyone else getting 3 months instead of 1?

Wow my ps4 quit reading discs on Christmas. Fuck you sony, since I bought my kids skylanders and lego marvel and they can't even play their presents. Seriously fucking blow me sony computer entertainment of America. I trusted you going into next gen. Then you fuck my family on Christmas.

Calm down its gonna be okay

Erban1

Quick question, I have never downloaded something so large from PSN, but it shows the BF4 is about 33 gigs but the download is showing only 6400 MB (something like that). Whats up with this?

It'll keep downloading, that Initial 6 gigs is the single player portion, you won't be able to play multiplayer until the download finishes.

Tsundere

Banned
VPN? Any suggestions?

NBA Game Time

Apps that can be Used:
IGN
Crunchyroll
NBA GameTime

VidZone
Netflix

I'm using Unblockus, not sure if it works in Asia, you should check out some alternatives there are quite a few, and they do give free trials.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Yep, has happened to me as well. At first I thought it might be an issue with my TV, but since you and I have completely different TVs (mine is a Sony Bravia) it might be a PS4 issue? The first time it happened I was able to fix it by switching HDMI ports and power cycling everything and stuff (not entirely sure what actually made it start working again), but the other day it happened again, and I haven't been able to get it working again. Maybe I haven't done exactly what I did the first time, will have to mess with it some more.

I think 1.52 killed it because it was working perfectly fine with 1.51. I tried it with the PS4 connected directly to my TV vs through my amp(in case my amp was acting funny) and nothing, so I really do think it's because of 1.52.

Gonna send an email to Sony support regarding this.

cchum

So i'm playing Shadowfall, a little of the campaign system was very quiet. I jump online and the fans start and it gets pretty loud; well louder than I expected.. Other people having this?

Game is all over the place on fan speed for me. Multiplayer seems to kick it up more often then not though

Robot Pants

It's the opposite for me.
SP fans are on almost immeditately. MP only after a while.
Now, if I take it out of my entertainment center, no fans ever. I gotta figure out a new place for this thing cause those fans are too loud 4 school

SnakeNL

Mine is loud when playing single player multi player it's pretty quiet.
On single player it goes from quiet to full speed and then back again to quiet.

Mine is loud when playing single player multi player it's pretty quiet.
On single player it goes from quiet to full speed and then back again to quiet.

The fan noises are hit and miss for me, sometimes its loud, sometimes quiet. What I have noted is that it is quieter during MP.

this guy

If I unplug my ps4 and move it to another room, will my downloads resume when I turn the system back on, or will they be cancelled? I'm at my parents house and the crappy wifi signal in the family room is really hurting my download speeds.

VanWinkle

Oh, that actually isn't Sony's fault. Hardware components sometimes fail inexplicably and without warning. May have been a defective Blu-Ray drive.

emko

PS4 RGB full and limited are both full except when recording game play it sets the video to limited if you have your settings set to limited. Screenshots will always be full no matter the setting.

Examples
Setting Limited
Video
screenshot

Setting Full
Video
screenshot

hmm the example is not that great since the image is very contrasty already i will capture some more.

If I unplug my ps4 and move it to another room, will my downloads resume when I turn the system back on, or will they be cancelled? I'm at my parents house and the crappy wifi signal in the family room is really hurting my download speeds.

Make sure to select turn off ps4, before unplugging your ps4. Your downloads will resume.

emko

PS4 RGB full and limited are both full except when recording game play it sets the video to limited if you have your settings set to limited. Screenshots will always be full no matter the setting.

Examples
Setting Limited
Video
screenshot

Setting Full
Video
screenshot

hmm the example is not that great since the image is very contrasty already i will capture some more.

is there a reason someone would want there videos in limited range so the shadows start to become black?

oops i thought i was editing my post :( sorry

Top Bottom