• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Zog

Banned
The Switch is one of Nintendo's worst consoles. The UI is bare bones, the Joycons not only have drifting issues but the 2 player thing is not worth the lack of a D-Pad and the Pro Controller has a bad D-Pad. People give Nintendo a pass because it's portable which is no good for consumers or Nintendo.

Last edited:
Call of Duty Black Ops 1 the best game in the series.

- Great maps
- New MP modes
- Killstreaks not as overpowered as MW2 (where everyone did pred missile, harrier, chopper)
- Suits every play style. Probably the last Call of Duty game I played which had such a great mix of gamers using different guns
- Theater mode
- Create emblem
- Tons of stat tracking
- Not for me, but I think it had botmode for MP

bilderberg

But they're the same controls. The only thing that's changed is the camera. They're both tank controls.

I know they're the same controls. The "only" thing... like that's not a big fucking deal when controlling the game. And besides, it's not like RE 4's controls weren't already dated by the time it came out, it's just that the rest of the game overwhelmingly kicks so much ass that's it's not the worst thing ever.

Palladin

Neo Member
Is fine to worry about inadequacy in all walks of life gaming and otherwise. Heed this message and your life will be less bothersome.

Tipton32

Nier automata is the most overhyped garbage on this gen, or at least on GAF.

It looks like a ps2 game, at best.
If it at least performed as it looked but no. It's a technical disgrace from the same studio that brought Vanquish and Rising a generation ago.
The drab art is a joke. Did they cheap out on textures and a lighting engine?
The open world structure is atrocious and it makes you wonder why it is what it is.
Also the worst traversal in the genre, let us put bushes everywhere that slow your character down.
The side quests design is on par with the best work of ubisoft.
The story is a convoluted weeab mess.
Replaying the exact same scenario from another character perspective is possibly the worst cop out I've seen since Arkhams Knight final ending hidden behind collectibles.
It's so quirky that it needs to remind you of it every single step of the way. How pretentious.
It's plays like one but it's not an action game, it looks like one but it's also not an jrpg game. Instead it mashes everything together with bullet hell gameplay and prays for the best.
I didn't have a game's ending leave me such a bad taste in my mouth since bioshock infinite.

The only good things: music and the animations.

I won't even bother with the trophy hack, I don't want the platinum. I am so angry I delayed my sekiro playtrough because of this...
MGS Rising is the best game the studio ever did and it will stay like that for a while.
Absolutely spot on. I didn’t get the praise for this game at all. To me it felt like a oversimplified Bayonetta. I played MG Rising after and had way more fun with that game. Nier automata felt like a chore to me and I was always told to drop a game if it feels like you’re forcing yourself to play it.

Last edited:

Kazza

I've played both games and 100% agree with Colin:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, while both games I enjoyed, would each be 10+ points lower on Metacritic if they weren't Nintendo exclusives.

They're decent games, but no way in hell would they have gotten so many "perfect" scores if not for being Nintendo games. I also think you would have seen a lot of "perfect" scores for something as innovative as Astro Bot, if it had been a Mario launch title on a Nintendo VR system.

Enjay

Banned
Japanese games are so outdated that to this day their video games are still designed behind the intentions of getting quarters out of their gamers. (Nier, Sekiro)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Japanese games are so outdated that to this day their video games are still designed behind the intentions of getting quarters out of their gamers. (Nier, Sekiro)
If “outdated” means thats actually feels like proper game instead of trying to realistic with simulation design then I rather have that so called “outdated” design any day.

Enjay

Banned
MTX and lootboxes are what exactly
Yeah because it's definitely a controversal opinion to disagree with mtx and lootboxes.

User name Danjin44 said:
If “outdated” means thats actually feels like proper game instead of trying to realistic with simulation design then I rather have that so called “outdated” design any day.
2hp16kn.jpg

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah because it's definitely a controversal opinion to disagree with mtx and lootboxes.

Huh? My point was that MTX was a western invention and game design in many cases has been fairly significantly impacted by those shitty practices, and you're turning you're nose up at "Japanese games" because some of them are hard.

Tako Ou

Banned
Tetsuya Nomura is a plague on square enix productions.
His J-Pop phase peaked bad taste with his obsession with Gackt.
As far as art goes, we need more Yoshida and Amano, much more talented artists.
His need to turn every RPG he directs into an A-RPG is also very infuriating.

Ian Henry

Tetsuya Nomura is a plague on square enix productions.
His J-Pop phase peaked bad taste with his obsession with Gackt.
As far as art goes, we need more Yoshida and Amano, much more talented artists.
His need to turn every RPG he directs into an A-RPG is also very infuriating.
I'm divided on this. On one hand, I like Nomura's art. It's very upbeat and complex. However, I agree that it's annoying how he has to turn every RPG he makes into an ARPG.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm divided on this. On one hand, I like Nomura's art. It's very upbeat and complex. However, I agree that it's annoying how he has to turn every RPG he makes into an ARPG.
That one I also agree, not to say I don't like ARPG I do and GrandBlue Relink is currently my most look forward RPG but that doesn't mean I want my favourite Turn based RPG turn in to Action combat. This why i have zero interest in FF7 Remake, because at this point it feels like a reboot rather remake.

Ian Henry

That one I also agree, not to say I don't like ARPG I do and GrandBlue Relink is currently my most look forward RPG but that doesn't mean I want my favourite Turn based RPG turn in to Action combat. This why i have zero interest in FF7 Remake, because at this point it feels like a reboot rather remake.
True

brap

Banned
Killzone Shadow Fall is a huge fucking pile of fucking garbage. Broken piece of fucking shit. Worst AAA game I've ever fucking played. What a load of fucking shit. Completely fucking worthless garbage. Now I know why there hasn't been a new Killzone game since.

LordRaptor

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, while both games I enjoyed, would each be 10+ points lower on Metacritic if they weren't Nintendo exclusives.

They're decent games, but no way in hell would they have gotten so many "perfect" scores if not for being Nintendo games. I also think you would have seen a lot of "perfect" scores for something as innovative as Astro Bot, if it had been a Mario launch title on a Nintendo VR system.

If Mario Odyssey and Zelda:BOTW aren't 90+% games of this generation, I don't know what are.
Colin Moriarty is an embarassing shill of a console warrior.
He holds the view that reviewers give nintendo a magical 10% boost on their scores 'because nintendo' because thats how he reviews Sony game, and hes the one who should be embarrassed about giving mediocre trash like Killzone 80% scores.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

xool

Nier automata is the most overhyped garbage on this gen, or at least on GAF.

It looks like a ps2 game, at best.
If it at least performed as it looked but no. It's a technical disgrace from the same studio that brought Vanquish and Rising a generation ago.
The drab art is a joke. Did they cheap out on textures and a lighting engine?
The open world structure is atrocious and it makes you wonder why it is what it is.
Also the worst traversal in the genre, let us put bushes everywhere that slow your character down.
The side quests design is on par with the best work of ubisoft.
The story is a convoluted weeab mess.
Replaying the exact same scenario from another character perspective is possibly the worst cop out I've seen since Arkhams Knight final ending hidden behind collectibles.
It's so quirky that it needs to remind you of it every single step of the way. How pretentious.
It's plays like one but it's not an action game, it looks like one but it's also not an jrpg game. Instead it mashes everything together with bullet hell gameplay and prays for the best.
I didn't have a game's ending leave me such a bad taste in my mouth since bioshock infinite.

The only good things: music and the animations.

I won't even bother with the trophy hack, I don't want the platinum. I am so angry I delayed my sekiro playtrough because of this...
MGS Rising is the best game the studio ever did and it will stay like that for a while.

You missed the idiotic leveling system that 'punishes' you for enjoying the game - did a few side quests ? ok now you're lvl.90 and the final story bosses die in literally 1 hit.

I assume SquareEnix had something to do with that - either that or Platinum has completely lost the plot.

petran79

Banned

It has more to do with the fact that they are exclusives. If those games were multiplatform, they'd probably have a lower score because other factors would have to be taken into account. Eg graphics comparison, price differences, glitches, less hype, less bragging rights etc

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Colin Moriarty is an embarassing shill of a console warrior.
He holds the view that reviewers give nintendo a magical 10% boost on their scores 'because nintendo' because thats how he reviews Sony game, and hes the one who should be embarrassed about giving mediocre trash like Killzone 80% scores.
Yep. I always found the “Sony fanboy insulting Nintendo and Nintendo fanboys” approach he had to be very immature.

A great example is whenever there was a Nintendo hardware shortage, according to Colin it was “manufactured”. But, if there was a Sony hardware shortage, it was because “It is selling fantastic and they can’t make them quick enough”. I’m still waiting for him to respond to my email asking for the receipts, lol.

Then, there is also this:

Never forget.

MGS5 was atrocious. I was so pumped leading up to it's release and it turned out to be an incomplete mess. The whole story is funky as hell, and that's saying something because I loved MGS2 lol. It's just so terrible I don't even

Gameplay mechanics were sweet tho

Bakkus

The morph ball segments of Metroid Prime are amazing; A masterclass in video game design. The rest of the game is a very mixed bag.

I don't understand the love for the Zelda series. I remember playing the 1st Zelda, and a few here and there before Breath of the Wild. Could not get into BOTW, gave it a good 15-20 hr try... felt like there was nothing pushing me forward. I don't understand why ppl love the combat, it felt like a hack and slash to me, but it's talked about like it's fighting game level's deep. Story is pretty meh to me, pretty standard fair. A part of me thinks its just nostalgia. I've never been one to rain on ppl's parade, it's cool if you love it, I just never "got it" it never clicked with me.

I suppose if I have a controversial gaming opinion it would be this; The worst thing to happen to video gaming, and I mean the very very worst thing that ever happened to video gaming is when consoles connected to the internet.

I didn't like JRPG's until 2008. Thats when I played Lost Odyssey for the Xbox 360. I fell in love with the stories and turn based combat of jrpgs.

Never owning a PS2 had something to do with it as well.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Whenever someone calls Breath of the Wild an amazing game I literally want to call them and just pick their brain and try to understand.

It's not bad my any means but it's a solid 7.5 at best imo. You see everything that game has to offer in 10 hours. And it has the WORST dungeon's in the entire seires.

There's a ton of issues with it that if it wasn't called Zelda I feel like would of been chastised.

The people I have talked to about that love it cant even defend it which drives me bananas. Maybe it's my fault for liking to argue about games but man it DRIVES ME NUTS when someone can day it's such an amazing game but then say stuff like it has an open world as if that hasn't been done before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom