• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

I'll start playing but never finish any of The Legend of Zelda games. I think the series is massively overrated. I've never seen a franchise with more undeserving perfect scores.

I also really dislike Final Fantasy VIII. I hate the GF/Junction system. I can't believe Hiroyuki Ito designed it, considering he went on to direct Final Fantasy IX (my favorite game in the series)!

There's more but these are just two off the top of my head.

Last edited:
I'll start playing but never finish any of The Legend of Zelda games. I think the series is massively overrated. I've never seen a franchise with more undeserving perfect scores.

I also really dislike Final Fantasy VIII. I hate the GF/Junction system. I can't believe Hiroyuki Ito designed it, considering he went on to direct Final Fantasy IX (my favorite game in the series)!

I'm kinda in the same boat, I loved Skyward Sword (which is universally hated by everyone), and I kinda played BOTW for 5h and I'm yet to return to it...

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
S9gjx33l.jpg

Quake on Sega Saturn plays better than Quake 3 on Sega Dreamcast.

I was talking about audience reception, critics these days don't mean anything (Critics shitting on Days Gone, Alien Isolation, yet both games are loved by players).

Devil May Cry 5 and The Witcher 3 are the best AAA games of this generation (so far),

But here's the kicker:

It's because we live in a timeline where most AAA games are walking simulators with shooting galleries attached to them, while trying to emulate cinema (Instead of playing like a video game) and AAA games are creatively and gameplay-wise bankrupt nowadays.

The Witcher 3 had a fantastic story, an alright combat system (compared to most open world games), and great world building, and Devil May Cry had insane top tier gameplay and was responsive (while looking good even on the base Xbox One and PS4), but I really can't say the same for anything previous giants like Naughty Dog, Rockstar, any of Microsoft's Studios, Activision (aside from Sekiro) and Ubisoft have made this generation. I can't even remember most of what happened in The Last of Us, or any of the current-gen Assassin's Creed games.

petran79

Banned
If Stadia could unite Android and desktop gaming with Google Play, it could be a competitor for the Switch and even gain the advantage in smaller casual games. Eg use your high end phone as a controller device to connect to tv

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Devil May Cry 5 and The Witcher 3 are the best AAA games of this generation (so far),

But here's the kicker:

It's because we live in a timeline where most AAA games are walking simulators with shooting galleries attached to them, while trying to emulate cinema (Instead of playing like a video game) and AAA games are creatively and gameplay-wise bankrupt nowadays.

The Witcher 3 had a fantastic story, an alright combat system (compared to most open world games), and great world building, and Devil May Cry had insane top tier gameplay and was responsive (while looking good even on the base Xbox One and PS4), but I really can't say the same for anything previous giants like Naughty Dog, Rockstar, any of Microsoft's Studios, Activision (aside from Sekiro) and Ubisoft have made this generation. I can't even remember most of what happened in The Last of Us, or any of the current-gen Assassin's Creed games.

Dmc5 from a gameplay perspective is in my eyes, without a doubt, the best playing game this gen. Followed closely by Doom 2016.

Blancka

But here's the kicker:

That's about the least controversial opinion there is when it comes to gaming...

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
no way are you in your forties unless thats someone else in your pic.

as for fortnite though.....

Thank you! It's a blurry photo and I do have a few more gray hairs going now, but that is me from back in 2017. (Never smoking, tanning, doing drugs or drinking helped...and hormone replacement therapy has done wonders for me.) :)

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Thank you! It's a blurry photo and I do have a few more gray hairs going now, but that is me from back in 2017. (Never smoking, tanning, doing drugs or drinking helped...and hormone replacement therapy has done wonders for me.) :)
I thought perhaps you bathed in the placenta of newly born gorillas like the rest of us.

DelireMan7

Sekiro is far to have a top notch combat as I have red several times. For 2 reasons :
  1. Deflect mechanic : Extremely permissive timing and can counter almost everything FOR FREE. So it can solve 90% of the encounter in the game, reducing the value of Prosthetic tool and combat art which cost emblems. Also it make every fight looking quite similar which make the combat quite redundant on the long run.
  2. Spirit emblems : The fact that you have to farm them is the worst decision they could made. I liked using them but when hitting a wall (a boss usually) which required several tries it was consuming all my stock. And I didn't want to go farming while I was attempting to defeat a boss (actually I don't want to go farming at all in this game...). So I ended up almost never using the prosthetic/combat art during boss fight but only during exploration because standard enemies drop Emblems (because I love using them really) . Making your stock refill at each death (not ressurection) would have made the game much much better.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

I thought VII was underwhelming when I played it compared to VI but learned to appreciate it after VIII.

Both Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Cross are shit. Too many shit characters makes them underdeveloped.

Oh and both Zelda OOT and BOTW are ripoffs of Peter pan and Sleeping Beauty...

I know I triggered some salt with these comments lol

Weren't the Peter Pan parallels intentional? I remember Miyamoto admitting that he was inspired by it.
It's no secret that he's a fan of the classical Disney era.
This is less of a hot take and more of a room temperature take.

As for the FF and Chrono Trigger thing? I wouldn't know. I haven't played them.

I wasn't even aware of this, but the comparison is obvious, an elf with a green garment followed by a fairy also the whole setting with the kids reminds me of kokori forest. Then the sleeping beauty comparison is the princess in the castle needs to be saved by a hero with fairies, also wasn't there a sleeping Zelda in one of the games?

brian0057

I wasn't even aware of this, but the comparison is obvious, an elf with a green garment followed by a fairy also the whole setting with the kids reminds me of kokori forest. Then the sleeping beauty comparison is the princess in the castle needs to be saved by a hero with fairies, also wasn't there a sleeping Zelda in one of the games?
I think that would be the second game in the series, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

Last edited:
- Ocarina Of Time was and still is vastly overrated, even back in the day. Dungeons are great and the real highlight of the game, but the overworld is lacking and barren as hell. Majora's Mask easily outdid it only a year or so later with a way shorter development cycle.

- Dark Souls 2 is still genuinely a great game, despite not being nowhere up to snuff compared to the other two games in the series in terms of polish and overall design, and a worthwhile entry into the series regardless.

- Half Life 2 is mostly boring as fuck after Ravenholm, and City 17 towards the end is really fucking dull, thought the game didn't deserve nowhere near the legendary status it recieved from critics and fans back then when I played it, outside of how revolutionary it was visually.

- Breath of the Wild? A great game, but 97% Metacritic? Don't make me laugh. There's some great stuff in there, and the sheer amount of freedom is liberating, but half of the dungeons and a lot of the shrine challenges were pretty underwhelming to me, truth be told!

- The new GoW reboot? Not deserving of the crazy high scores it got in my opinion. God Of War's pacing and story falls apart about halfway through after reaching Hellheim, and never really seems to recover, a lot of the awe and spectacle was blown in the first half of the game.

- Red Dead Redemption 2, yet again, like God of War, doesn't deserve the adoration it gets either in my opinion. Sure it's gorgeous and the acting is fantastic, but the story started losing me as I got closer to the end, and the general clunkiness of the gameplay took me out of it all eventually. Good game, but not my game of the generation so far like a lot of people think.

Last edited:

Otterz4Life

Star Fox Zero is awesome. I loved the game pad and gyro controls. It really feels like an arcade experience in your living room.

Sticker Star and Color Splash are fun games. The level designs are top notch. Managing your stickers/cards in battle was fun for me.

Pikmin 3 is easily the best Pikmin game.

They’re all great, but 3D World is the best 3D Mario. So much content and replay-ability. God tier level design.

Halo CE is still the king in every regard.

Halo 5s campaign was pretty good. The biggest failing was locking the beginning behind some EU books and film. Lack of split screen was huge disappointment, obviously, but what was there, was good. I love the idea of Cortana becoming the villain.

Gears 4 has a great campaign. The DeeBees were a nice change of pace for a while. The horde mode segments made sense in the context of the story.

I like the weapon durability mechanics in BotW. Enemies drop good weapons from the mid-game onward, so it’s a total non issue.

Sometimes a 7/10 game is more fun than a 10/10 one.

what do you mean with sometimes?
especially nowadays where game critics prioritize cinematic stuff over gameplay in their reviews a 7/10 game is usually the better game and only got a lower score because it's not a cinematic third person shooter with stealthing in a bush and throwing bottles followed by 5 minutes of slowly walking behind an NPC

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
what do you mean with sometimes?
especially nowadays where game critics prioritize cinematic stuff over gameplay in their reviews a 7/10 game is usually the better game and only got a lower score because it's not a cinematic third person shooter with stealthing in a bush and throwing bottles followed by 5 minutes of slowly walking behind an NPC
Examples:
p6QfhOl.png

8XB2yQE.png

if you rely on review score alone, you will be missing out some great games.

Last edited:

Examples:
p6QfhOl.png

8XB2yQE.png

if you rely on review score alone, you will be missing out some great games.

exactly, but I personally don't give a flying fuck anymore about reviews in general... I literally haven't read a game review in 2 years because I simply can't see any value in them anymore.

I watch a gameplay video, maybe read some infos just to make sure the game isn't a buggy mess and then decide if I wanna play it or not.

game reviews lost all their value when critics started giving mediocre games like Firewatch or Coming Home a free pass for having absolutely zero elements in them that you could even describe as game design or game mechanics... because "oh that intriguing narrative and writing"... yeah pal, I'm not searching for a book or a movie, I want to know if it's a good game, which both of them are not, they are hardly games in the first place.

Gargus

Banned
DLC is and has always been a terrible idea and people should not buy them. Thats how we got to microtransactions allover the place is because of DLC. People have shown they are willing to buy a game and then spend more money on that game, often times doubling the price of the MSRP on the game in the end. People show they will buy pieces of a game instead of wanting the entire game. And I refuse to believe what devs and pubs say because most of the time they talk about passes, dlc roadmaps, or even talk specific details of upcoming dlc before the game launches. Games launch with season passes showing they are planning on adding more to it instead of just launching a complete game so youll pay 60 dollars for the game and more later. DLC has trained people to pay more for a game than they normally would. Everyone would bitch about paying 100 dollars for a game, but will buy it for 60 and end up paying another 20 to 40 dollars on extra content.

Pre ordering games is a terrible idea. If games have X amount of pre orders then what incentive do devs and pubs have to release a quality product that is finished? None really because they have guarnteed sales before it even comes out. This leads to "Fuck it, its close enough. Just push it out the door and we will fix it later with patches" and we end up with a lot of poorly running and buggy games that require multiple patches of massive sizes to fix the game up and in some cases you get that game on release day but need to wait days if not weeks before its playable. And people get suckered into doing so because they have been trained to think they just because they waited a year for a game that they cant wait a few days more, and the carrot on the stick of pre order bonus stuff makes it worse because they feel like a gold colored weapon, a new jacket, or a extra healing item which are all just digital items someone made in about 90 seconds is something they have to have to enjoy the game.

Nintendo is just another activision or ea company, etc that everyone hates. Everyone hates ea and activision and other such companies for just making the game games every year but nintendo is just as bad if not worse. Every game they release is just another mario, another zelda, another kirby, another animal crossing etc. Its always the same franchises over and over and over again every year. Occasionally they will do something new like arms but they almost always just dissapear and are forgotten games. Even the first 18 months of the switch was just wiiu versions of the same games resold at 60 bucks a pop. Now granted what they do they do well, but still you cant argue that nintendo is a creative company that doesnt do anything more than just rehash the same old thing and charges you a premium for it. They make quality products, but those products are just recycled and old ideas. They also are increasing mobile games full of microtransactions and they are doing DLC. Really nintendo does a lot of what people hate about other companies but no one cares and they gobble up that shit because mario is standing there with feeding it with a big smile on his face while a overly friendly non threatening japanese man is grinning and speaking about the same old shit you will buy with a friendly tone of voice. Nintendo is simply a company of no ideas.

Dane

Red Dead Redemption killed any less than 90+ score franchise of Rockstar, they decided to go with a GTA and a Wild West GTA.

Last edited:

yugoluke

1) Having thousands of guns and millions of attachments is not a draw. Extreme customization is not a plus. I hate when games are advertised with just how much content they have. Are you covering up for the quality of the content?

2) I have never liked Dark Souls. I think the combat against super large enemies and attacking their back and standing right under them looks like shit. For me the way combat feels is just as important as how it looks. Both need to be nailed for me to be interested. I how ever loved Sekiro. And with how great the combat felt in addition to how it looked, I don't think I could go back to Dark Souls. If Elden Ring goes back to DS combat without implimenting Sekiro mechanics I do not think I will be interested.

3) Difficulty in the form of having damage multipliers that factor your level and that of an opponent is poor game design. Make the enemy encounters difficult by having to learn the attack patterns and attack and defend appropriately. This is where I will give credit to the Dark Souls series. Knowledge should actually translate to performance, not making sure you have the appropriate level to fight something. This mechanic being employed only leads me to imply that the combat is uninspiring and bland. I was playing the witcher 3 (whose combat is average) as I play all RPG's, I explore everywhere and deal with enemies that show up. I was on a quest and came across that huge spider. I would fight that thing flawlessly but deal only slivers of damage at a time. After committing 10 minutes to the fight the spider your hit me once and I would die. I hard dropped the game after like 5 attempts. Not worth the time. This was a game where its beauty was off the charts but the mechanics were not to the same level.

4) Streaming games is the future. All technical difficulties will be fixed with time.

5) Games as a service style experiences have an exciting future. I absolutely loved Destiny and played that game till D2 came out. The experience was magical for me. My mind raced with the possibilities of what a game of this style could accomplish. I know it was not perfect but this was something I had never seen before. It honestly felt like a new frontier. The core mechanics felt good (the shooting) and the community working alongside the developers to improve the game over time made everyone who stuck with the game feel a sense of ownership as it improved. I think we have only scratched the surface of what games of this format can accomplish. It is still in its nascency. While there are many failures in this space I think that this is still a space to watch and be hopeful for.

6) People who complain about the epic store and their business practices are babies. Opening another client to access a game is not hard. I have been doing it for blizzard games for the longest time and if you do not level criticism against the battlenet client while you rail on epic you are a hypocrite. Additionally, if you are a new player in a space dominated by another company, positioning yourself aggressively to gain market share is a valid tactic. This includes buying timed exclusives.

7) Multiplayer games are not lesser than single player games. The experiences are different, obviously. The way that I explain it is the following. Playing a competitive multiplayer game offers a wider range of emotional responses. While a single player game may maintain an 8/10 throughout the entire play though, multiplayer games offer 1/10 - 11/10 experiences. While failing a raid 15 times due to incompetent or toxic team mates makes me question what I am doing with my life, absolutely dominating a raid boss or coordinating a ult combo in overwatch puts you over the moon. That emotional roller coaster amplifies any and all emotions you may have while playing it. While they may be draining, they offer truly awesome experiences. I think multiplayer games are thought of as second class citizens among the majority of the gaming community at large.

I will add more if they come to mind.

yugoluke

Even the laws of physics? Cool 😀

I have yet to hear a reasoned and articulate argument as to what the physical limitations of this technology are. I don't think these companies would step into this sector without any idea of what technical challenges are. If the science is settled (as you seem to imply) why even try?

Helios

Additionally, if you are a new player in a space dominated by another company, positioning yourself aggressively to gain market share is a valid tactic. This includes buying timed exclusives.
Just because "it's a valid tactic" doesn't mean people have to be okay with it. The battlenet example is bullshit and has been debunked already a million times.

Carna

Banned
I am not trying to call anyone out in the threads but, Famitsu sales combined with Nintendo switch/games sales just look like a Nintendo dick waving festival. I mean. Are Japanese people so bored with games to point they have to buy anything related Nintendo to conform so they don't get socially rejected or something?

I dislike the switch, I only want like 14 games for it, and all of the 7 games I own for it. Don't live up to the hype. (Especially botw with it's terrible combat/dodging/hit damage/trying to find good armor)

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I am not trying to call anyone out in the threads but, Famitsu sales combined with Nintendo switch/games sales just look like a Nintendo dick waving festival. I mean. Are Japanese people so bored with games to point they have to buy anything related Nintendo to conform so they don't get socially rejected or something?

I dislike the switch, I only want like 14 games for it, and all of the 7 games I own for it. Don't live up to the hype. (Especially botw with it's terrible combat/dodging/hit damage/trying to find good armor)
Sounds like you have a hate boner for Nintendo.

Either that or the 40+ million Switch owners and all the BotW fans are wrong or lying.

If you don’t like it, don’t play it. I don’t understand why you need to belittle positive sales for a games system though. Seems a bit butt hurt and immature to be honest.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I really hate western RPGs and the like.

Oldschool JRPGs forever!

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
Sounds like you have a hate boner for Nintendo.

Either that or the 40+ million Switch owners and all the BotW fans are wrong or lying.

If you don’t like it, don’t play it. I don’t understand why you need to belittle positive sales for a games system though. Seems a bit butt hurt and immature to be honest.

I don't have a hate-boner, i'm just a little underwhelmed. If I hated Nintendo then I wouldn't own a switch. And I am interested in astral chain.

Top Bottom