• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Batiman

Giving HZD another try and I find this game horrible. Combat is trash. Dialogue and character models are horrible. The screen is cluttered with collectables and icons. Frame rate is shit (ps4slim). It’s just a basic open world game that doesn’t do anything better than other open world games.

Unk Adams

Banned
Giving HZD another try and I find this game horrible. Combat is trash. Dialogue and character models are horrible. The screen is cluttered with collectables and icons. Frame rate is shit (ps4slim). It’s just a basic open world game that doesn’t do anything better than other open world games.
I remember finishing it (along with the DLC) and wondering "This is the game everyone said was amazing?" Like you said, bad combat, boring characters and dialogue, generic open world, no real personality, etc. Even the few puzzles that they threw in sucked.

Last edited:

kalecsan

Banned
.Most crpgs have AWFUL storytelling. But most fans of the genre think that because a game has a fucking bible every 3 minutes it must say something profound or complex. Minimalistic text and environment storytelling is far better game design.

.Not only gaming as an art is in its infancy compared to the maturity of literature or cinema, but I'm afraid that I don't see the medium reaching them at all, perhaps in 100 years.

SteadyEvo

People who buy multiple consoles and claim to not have a preference are liars.
Yes and no. Most days it’s clear to me that Sony makes the best games. Then I play something on Switch or Gamepass and switch sides. But overall I prefer Sony.

While I’m at it, here’s my not so controversial opinion. The gap between Sony and MS 1st is vast. Almost night and day. This became evident when I finally secured a PS5 and saw my Series X collecting dust. Prior to the 5’s arrival I’d sing the praises of Gamepass. Saw and appreciated the variety of titles, big and small. And enjoyed raising the gamerscore on my newest account.

Then comes the SexStation. 1st game I played was Miles Morales and HOLYSHIT. Blown away. This coming from someone that hated on PS4 Spiderman due to pacing issues. Then played TLOU2, now on Ghost of Tsushima. The difference in quality is obvious. Better story telling, immersion, graphics.

Put it like this. It’s easy for me to turn off Xbox. I have to pry myself away from the PlayStation. Just one more mission, I’ll stop after the next cutscene. Hour passes and I’m still telling myself the same thing 😆 Their games suck me in.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
I remember finishing it (along with the DLC) and wondering "This is the game everyone said was amazing?" Like you said, bad combat, boring characters and dialogue, generic open world, no real personality, etc. Even the few puzzles that they threw in sucked.
It was clearly made for Pro.

Slim... Yeah, I doubt if I would ever played through it on hardest difficulty if it wasn't on Pro.

Game is a definition of an eye candy.

Not to the magnitude of the Order ofc, but yeah...

Definitely a 7 out of 10 game with a story and characters bringing it to a solid 6. Dead open world, story and characters were the worst parts for me.

Was a perfect test for my new console tho. I played it day 0, so graphics kinda kept me in.

Bought the DLC too, but way later than it was released, so never even started it.

i felt the same way. i tried like 5 times to get into it. and each time i gave up after an hour or so.

Its stupid but the game didn't click with me until i was already 20+ hours deep. Like halfway thru the game the story started to pick up and get interesting. And i stopped relying on melee combat and tried to play more strategically and use all manners of traps and gadgets. And i finally started having some fun.

my biggest complaints now. That i actually enjoy the game. Is there aren't too many cool memorable NPCs. Collectibles aren't found naturally ( i made it to the end of the game and barely had any). And the missions weren't the best

voidenberg

I enjoyed the combat against the big robots. But everything else is subpar. It's another Ubisoft open-world made by sony.

just like ghost of tsushima...

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Metroid Dread is the worst metroidvania game ever made.

A9cGC5d.png

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Zelda games are for kids. They have weak story and basic combat gameplay. BOTW is not even close to my best 50 games of all time list. It's open world design not a game changer, it looks like a Ubisoft game with climbing/paragliding.

Bakkus

Zelda games are for kids. They have weak story and basic combat gameplay. BOTW is not even close to my best 50 games of all time list. It's open world design not a game changer, it looks like a Ubisoft game with climbing/paragliding.
No they are not. Most kids would not understand how to solve a lot of the puzzles in any of the games nor be able to understand how to progress during a lot of the overworld sections. Source: personal experience from me and my friends from when we were kids. Weak story and basic gameplay? Some of the stories are, but most of the 3D ones are not. You could argue they could have more story, but they're not weak stories, especially not Majora's Mask. The combat for the N64 games was among the very best for it's time. Sure, the recent games doesn't stand up to the Souls games or any of the heavy action games from Platinum or DMC, but it doesn't try to go as deep as they do. I agree with your opinion on BotW, I don't agree with your Ubisoft comparison, though. They try to be way more cinematic making the climbing/paragliding feel like more of a chore and less fun.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Seeing some TloUs PT 2 discourse on twitter.com, saying it's the best ever. Y'all need to play other games. However, it's the most polarizing Sony ever put out since people who hate it, can't stop talking about it.

dcx4610

Metroid Dread is the worst metroidvania game ever made.

A9cGC5d.png
Can't go that far but I think it's utterly forgettable. I did like the story but the gameplay was nothing special and it felt like a fan made game. I still had fun with it but a year from now, I won't be able to tell you anything about it.

dcx4610

- Abbey in LoU2 is a good character. I liked playing her section of the game and I understand her position in
killing Joel
. And in general, I feel it's a damn good game and equal if not better than the first. I never looked at Joel like a Nathan Drake or protagonist like a lot of people seem to do. He's just a single man trying to make it in the world. I understand getting attached to a character but what happened did not bother me in the least. It was just telling a story.

- Halo sucks. I've never liked it. I've never understood the appeal. I've tried playing the original game several time and it's so slow, basic and boring. I'm sure the appeal came because it was the first FPS game on console that worked with a controller well. I was already playing tons of FPS games on PC at that point so it just annoyed me. I've tried to give it a chance but I just don't get it. I think it's one of those games where you just had to be there for it and have no other frame for reference.

Someone recently brought up that Double Dragon sucks and they didn't see the appeal. I guess that's the same thing for me with Halo. I was there for DD and it was a big deal but I understand how someone now could play that and it's nothing special if not even bad.

Last edited:

u4ea

Witcher 3s combat is pretty good.
I thought it was it was just "click left mouse" for the same attack over and over again until I discovered that you could unlock new moves.
It's still pretty basic but I love it. I don't need combat to be complex, it just needs to be satisfying.

Batiman

FF7 remastered is pretty mediocre. Like am I even playing a game at this point? I’m about 5 hours in and I feel I haven’t done anything besides mash square once in a while. The combat in the original game was more exciting than this. Also the dialogue is cringey as fuck

Let’s fucking GO:

Uncharted 2 is the worst in the series (and none were good until 4 and Lost Legacy).

PlayStation fans wouldn’t be able to tell a good FPS if it hit them in the face. Killzone and Resistance are both 6/10 series at best.

Wind Waker is severely overrated, the criticisms at launch were not nearly critical enough about how terrible the overworld is and how there is such a small amount of uninspired dungeons. It should be the Super Mario Sunshine of the series.

Super Mario Odyssey was robbed of GOTY 2017 and is easily the best Mario platformer ever created.

Super Mario Bros 3 is the most overrated game of all time. Super Mario World wipes the floor with it.

Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 are two games most in need of full modern remakes. Story focused 2D pixel art games just can’t reach the level of immersion a full 3D HD experience provides. Keep the battle systems in line though (turn based, full control of every character).

Legend of Dragoon was a much better than FF8 and FF9, people just didn’t give it a chance.

The action based Resident Evil games are much more fun to play than the survival horror ones.

Oblivion, despite the leveling system and terrible main questline/oblivion gates, was a far better game than Skyrim with more interesting quests and a better crafted world.

dcx4610

Let’s fucking GO:

Uncharted 2 is the worst in the series (and none were good until 4 and Lost Legacy).

I'm with you on this. It's certainly a well crafted game but it's pretty much Michael Bay the game with some really goofy supernatural stuff. I didn't really like Uncharted until 3 and 4 with 3 being widely considered the worst. To me, it was the start of them getting good since it took a lot if not all of the supernatural elements away.

I know the inspiration is Indiana Jones which had plenty of supernatural stuff but I prefer realism and good story telling.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
HZD is overrated while its not a bad game, the quests and story are a bore. Go kill these robodino here, now go kill these robos for this tribe then kill these other dinos. The combat is fun though, so its not a complete disaster, but the lack of variety in quests and dull story knock this game down a peg or two.
I give it 80/100.

Guilty_AI

I'm with you on this. It's certainly a well crafted game but it's pretty much Michael Bay the game with some really goofy supernatural stuff. I didn't really like Uncharted until 3 and 4 with 3 being widely considered the worst. To me, it was the start of them getting good since it took a lot if not all of the supernatural elements away.

I know the inspiration is Indiana Jones which had plenty of supernatural stuff but I prefer realism and good story telling.
I think they were good precisely because they were goofy.
Once they started trying to tell "serious" stories it all started going off the rails since the setting - one guy looking for long lost treasures while waving a gun around, killing hundreds of its fellow men while throwing sassy jokes - still makes it very hard to take it seriously. Not to mention they just aren't very good stories in the first place.
At least with the michael bay movie style you knew you were there just to relax and enjoy the explosions.

Last edited:

tommib

Banned
FF7 remastered is pretty mediocre. Like am I even playing a game at this point? I’m about 5 hours in and I feel I haven’t done anything besides mash square once in a while. The combat in the original game was more exciting than this. Also the dialogue is cringey as fuck
I’m playing it now and I have to agree. On chapter 9. Eventually I turned the difficulty all the way down (since it’s not there anyway) to make the combats end ASAP. I do love the setting and the overall graphics. Music is good as well. It’s so linear that I see it as graphical adventure from the 90s. Dialogue is poor. But dialogue is shit on 90% of all games.

Batiman

I’m playing it now and I have to agree. On chapter 9. Eventually I turned the difficulty all the way down (since it’s not there anyway) to make the combats end ASAP. I do love the setting and the overall graphics. Music is good as well. It’s so linear that I see it as graphical adventure from the 90s. Dialogue is poor. But dialogue is shit on 90% of all games.
Ya it’s pretty much a graphical walk through for me. Hopefully it opens up with the next release.

Avengers is a good game. With good combat, good story. The real problem is the bugs, slow content, lack of communcation and mission structure.

most of these problems wouldn't exist without Covid, a larger live service team working on it and if they left behind old hardware and just continued content for Series X/S and PS5 only.

Woggleman

Far Cry 6 is the GOTY for 2021. It is my first Far Cry game so maybe that is why the formula has not worn out on me.

The GTA remasters while not perfect have been patched to the point where they are enjoyable now. The resolution, framerate and lighting are welcome additions

Abby is a good character

Aloy is a great character on par with Arthur Morgan, Joel and John Marston

They need to bring back Syphon Filter and Fear Effect

I thought it was it was just "click left mouse" for the same attack over and over again until I discovered that you could unlock new moves.
It's still pretty basic but I love it. I don't need combat to be complex, it just needs to be satisfying.
I feel the game was meant to be played on hardest difficulty. Where you feel more pressure to use a variety of signs, take the proper tonics after reading about the creature. Also I prefer controller for this game.

Last edited:

I was fine with the supernatural, in fact I think my favorite storyline of the first 3 was by far Uncharted 1. The gameplay was such a slog though. 3 improved a lot on that front but there were quite a few missed opportunities. The bald headed fist fights were horrible and nothing was worse than the last couple levels in that fever dream.

Thank god for Uncharted 4 though. Good gameplay, top notch story (for an Uncharted game), finally the game I wanted that series to be.

Brofist

I enjoyed the combat against the big robots. But everything else is subpar. It's another Ubisoft open-world made by sony.

I played this on PC and while I'm not having any performance issues (game looks and runs quite nice) I think this is one of the more overrated games I've played in some time, and I try to go back to it every so often thinking I must have missed something but no, feels just as mediocre and boring to me every time.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

Was just thinking this about Ghost of Tsushima. Great setting, graphics and combat that boils down to the same tired open world formula. I’m sure I’ll finish it but after the 1st act, all the horse riding and fast travel are wearing on me. I should add that I’ve been doing a lot of the side content which probably burnt me out.

R6Rider

The Forza Horizon games have terrible progression.

After the first game and especially 4 and 5. Literally did away with working your way through events and having specific event requirements. They throw money and cars at you at very start of the game with no satisfaction of working your way from a crappy and slow car, to the hyper cars. Not sure if 5 was like this, but at least in 4 you didn't even have to win the events to complete them.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Had Abby had small arms, toned but not nearly as big, TLOU Part II wouldn't have been nearly as controversial and wouldn't have received as much hate from the people against the game, especially the everything is "woke" crowd

Last edited:

voidenberg

Was just thinking this about Ghost of Tsushima. Great setting, graphics and combat that boils down to the same tired open world formula. I’m sure I’ll finish it but after the 1st act, all the horse riding and fast travel are wearing on me. I should add that I’ve been doing a lot of the side content which probably burnt me out.
It's Assassin's Creed in Japan with pretty graphics and fun combat.

oldergamer

I think PS5's design is a monstrosity. Its the first console I refuse to buy until they make it smaller or redesign the appearance. This is from someone that bought a PS3 before they removed PS2 back compat hardware.

IMO Sony blew tier load too early and end the year badly. Xbox started too slowly and ended the year with a bang.

I think xbox is on the right path and will dwarf the amount of first party games released by Sony with a ratio of 2 - 1.

MS needs to make a new elite controller that doesn't break!

Sony added too many features to the new controllers an battery life sucks. I hope MS learns from that and improves batterlife while adding new features.

MS needs to bring back the first party JRPG games. Release something that is a showcase for Xbox.

Ratchet and clank looks better then anything on Xbox in the cartoony category.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Okay. Just don't ban me or report me. You asked for this.

Nintendo games are designed for children, or to play with children as a family. I side eye any adult who doesn't have kids, but gets hard for the next Smash Bros, Pokémon or Animal Crossing game.

Metroid might be an exception, but I wouldn't know because I've never played Metroid in my life. Looks like shit if I'm being honest.

Last edited:
Fallout 76 is a pretty good game and it keeps getting better. People just like to dogpile on it because it is the cool thing to do. Also, it runs fine and I hardly ever encounter bugs.

Last edited:

Bakkus

The distinct features reviewers were complaining about it lacked an engaging story and characters. Which from what I can gather a lot of fans agree just as long as no one mentions persona.
The mainline SMT series has always had the story taking a background to the gameplay. I can see why many people do not find a religious philosophical doomsday story particulary engaging, but that is what the series has always been about story wise.

wolywood

I actually like the Ubisoft formula. Wouldn't want every single game to copy it (Ubisoft does a good enough job of that themselves lol) but to me their flagship series are the equivalent of video game comfort food.

Cold War is one of the best CODs ever made and is an all-around excellent game with top tier graphics and sound that offers great value if you enjoy the zombie modes (which are better then a lot of other actual zombie games) and party modes like prophunt. I don't think Treyarch gets enough credit for what they bring to the table.

Top Bottom