• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4: Chainsaw Demo will be available today for download (No Time Limit)

Graphics seem a bit cartoonish but not in a bad way. I turned off HDR. Gameplay seems fine. Enemies are a bit bullet spongy, maybe upgrades will address that.

Lots of the comments in here are cringe and drama club level hyperbole. People need to chill out. You're own absurd expectations is the thing that is causing the vast amount of disappointment you're feeling.

Reizo Ryuu

PLayed it for a bit, think I might need a driver update, since it sees my 12gb card as 8.95gb.
Also the framerate tanked from ~80 to 33 when I actually entered the village; even quitting to the main menu and starting over still had my fps at ~40, so I think I'm just gonna leave it like this and wait for the full game.
What I played was definitely RE4 though, except for the chickens....the chickens had better animation in the original.
I did laugh at how leon kicks the guy in the cutscene so hard he breaks his neck.

Two things I didn't like.
Why the fuck does the knife have durability?
And why does it take so long to move quickly after a gunshot? I've missed so many melee attacks because leon is still winding up to move...

the aim in the original was pretty much perfect... not sure what you thought was strange about it tbh.
I have played PS2, PC, X360, and also GC version on the emulator, and aiming was definitely way more "difficult" compared to other games. Analog stick movement felt almost "digital" to me. Even when I tried aiming with gamepad cross keys I had the same precision like on analog sticks. Also mouse movement on PC version felt off. But when I get used to this difficult aiming I was good at it and I thought headshots were more rewarding because of that.

I was expecting they might intentionaly gimp aiming in the RE4 remake, just to make it imprecise like it was in the original, but unfortunately aiming in the remake is 10x worse.

I liked RE Village aiming (difficult but still somewhat accurate), so I hope they can implement something similar here, but in it's current state the RE4 remake is unplayable to me.

Last edited:

Bartski

Man that was a really good first impression. Will run this a couple of times during the weekend, super stoked for the full game now.

Reactions: Isa

decisions

As a Steam Input/gyro aiming enthusiast myself, thanks for confirming they work well with RE4R! For the full game I plan to set up the m&k gyro aiming

No problem! We need to lead the way on this, to me this is the most meaningful innovation in gaming in a long time. It's here, but most people don't even know about it. And since it is almost never correctly supported by developers natively, people need to spend steam learning how to configure it properly with Steam Input which is of course just more barrier to entry.
I really don't understand how developers still fuck up gyro aiming.
how hard is it to emulate a freaking mouse? like wtf?
I really don't know what they have been doing on PS5 with "gyro" aiming. It's never real mouse input and usually feels very floaty and strange (HFW, GOW:Ragnarok, Callisto, etc.). I've heard Fortnite's is legit good but haven't tried it.

PS5 version don't have gyro???
It does but it's not a true mouse input. There is a massive deadzone and it feels very floaty.

Here is an example of the quick-turn using flick-stick which is way faster and more responsive than the nausea-inducing delayed "quick turn" they implemented by pressing back + run:

UDkg0UQ.gif

Last edited:

Sygma

I like the combat but I think the shotgun isn't satisfying at all like in the original. The recoil is wrong and the pumping action is weak.
The original's shotgun somehow feels way more punchy and satisfying, and yes I've shot a real 12 gauge I know how it feels like. Even though the animation is exaggerated in OG RE4 at least it captured the FEEL very well.

Shotgun-Away-resident-evil-4-39355870-500-281.gif

Personally I love how the shotgun just mass dismember enemies in a pack in the demo, faces do explode and entire arms get removed in the process

Filben

choppy frame rate on PS5 with RT enabled, no matter if resolution or frame rate is selected. despite VRR.

RE3 ran better with RT enabled.

Maybe I go for the PC version, but they probably don't care about DualSense support in this one. sigh. Frustrating.

kizito

PLayed it for a bit, think I might need a driver update, since it sees my 12gb card as 8.95gb.
Also the framerate tanked from ~80 to 33 when I actually entered the village; even quitting to the main menu and starting over still had my fps at ~40, so I think I'm just gonna leave it like this and wait for the full game.
What I played was definitely RE4 though, except for the chickens....the chickens had better animation in the original.
I did laugh at how leon kicks the guy in the cutscene so hard he breaks his neck.

Two things I didn't like.
Why the fuck does the knife have durability?
And why does it take so long to move quickly after a gunshot? I've missed so many melee attacks because leon is still winding up to move...
I had the 30 fps bug when I entered the village on my first run of the demo (not on the next ones), I fixed it by simply entering the inventory and going back to the game, frame-rate was back to normal. UIt's definitely a bug.

Madflavor

Graphics seem a bit cartoonish but not in a bad way. I turned off HDR. Gameplay seems fine. Enemies are a bit bullet spongy, maybe upgrades will address that.

Lots of the comments in here are cringe and drama club level hyperbole. People need to chill out. You're own absurd expectations is the thing that is causing the vast amount of disappointment you're feeling.

I was thinking this earlier. It's almost funny how sensitive some gamers are to such minor inconveniences. Back in the day when games were more primitive we had to put up with gameplay inconveniences all that time, but we still loved the shit out of what we played. It's like people have gotten softer and can't cope when a game isn't perfectly tailored to their needs.

Stuart360

both console versions have the same shimmering on the trees. I'm disappointed in that, hope they can at least tweak it
I wonder if the console versions are using FSR as default, or checkerboarding or something. I literally just got off the PC version and there was zero shimmering, and i was only playing at 1080p with TAA. The image quality was very clean. In fact the graphics looked great to me, better than 2 and 3 remake, and Village, especially from a texture angle.

The game also controlled great with my XSX controller on PC, so dont really get why poeple are having problems with the controls.

SenkiDala

Wow just played the PS5 version, and I'm a bit dissapointed... The shimmering is the effect that I hate the most in games, and this game has a lot of it. Both in framerate or quality mode, it is very weird, RE2 and 3 look awesome on PS5.

Guess I'll go with PC. :(

Stuart360

Wow just played the PS5 version, and I'm a bit dissapointed... The shimmering is the effect that I hate the most in games, and this game has a lot of it. Both in framerate or quality mode, it is very weird, RE2 and 3 look awesome on PS5.

Guess I'll go with PC. :(
Its interesting becausae the game looked super clean and sharp for me on PC, at just 1080p with TAA.
I even tried the game at 1440p and 1620p with FSR, and native 1080p looked way better.

Devs like to push resolution on consoles for whatever reason. Maybe they should of just gone with native 1280p, or heaven forbid native 1080p. It produces a better image than reconstruction and upscaling imo.

Madflavor

I've been told turning off Lens Distortion on the PS5 helps a lot with the blurry complaints people have been having.

I think I'm leaning more towards the PC version having played both versions enough times. My only one concern with the PC is that the game did crash on me once during the village fight.

Reizo Ryuu

I had the 30 fps bug when I entered the village on my first run of the demo (not on the next ones), I fixed it by simply entering the inventory and going back to the game, frame-rate was back to normal. UIt's definitely a bug.
Updated my driver, game sees my vram correctly now and it also ran locked 60 throughout.

Bojji

choppy frame rate on PS5 with RT enabled, no matter if resolution or frame rate is selected. despite VRR.

RE3 ran better with RT enabled.

Maybe I go for the PC version, but they probably don't care about DualSense support in this one. sigh. Frustrating.

Game is outside vrr window in resolution mode but the same was true about RE3.

They sadly don't care about Dual Sense on pc, otherwise I would play it - even with FSR2 set to performance it looks much better than console version.

rofif

oh yes pc gaming. 3080 is not enough for re4 remake.
crashed 2 minutes into the demo.
Of course fully maxed out at 4k.. Fps around 50.
Looks fantastic. Cleaner than ps5

FXu06zA.jpg

3 times in a row now. I cannot make it to the first home lol pc experience here I go!!! 3080 bitch !
Edit: FSR 2.0 balanced and it still crashes before entering the house. Seriously

Last edited:

rofif

Anyone else with 3080 10gb playing at 4k ?
I've made it INTO the first house on my 5th try. Had to lower FSR 2.0 to performance and RT from high to Normal.
I am not willing to sacrifice textures to lower more vram. This is bullshit really. I am using "high 8gb vram" option. They labeled it like that.
Oh man I really lack patience for this.... I just downloaded the game and played on ps5 with no issues yesterday.

btw. FSR 2.0 is not giving the fps results like in similar games and I am not cpu limited (only up to 20%), so I am not sure what's up.
Another thing I've noticed is that fps is not smooth and I see a lot of vrr oled flicker because of this. Probably it's hitching a bit more because of lack of vram.

so yeah... I know I just have to lower more settings but I don't like it. The game is already looking crunchy af with fsr 2.0. Will just try 1440p withhout fsr.
Tu03JLx.jpg

Stuart360

FXu06zA.jpg

3 times in a row now. I cannot make it to the first home lol pc experience here I go!!! 3080 bitch !
Edit: FSR 2.0 balanced and it still crashes before entering the house. Seriously
Played through the demo in one go, zero crashes. Not every PC gamer has the same issues.
Did you play the demo with Rivatuner on, to see if your vram was maxing out?. Seen some people say vram maxing out can cause the demo to crash.

winjer

FXu06zA.jpg

That is probably lack of vram. Lower some settings, especially texture resolution.
While playing, at 1440p FSR Quality, the game used up to 14GB.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I've made it INTO the first house on my 5th try. Had to lower FSR 2.0 to performance and RT from high to Normal.
I am not willing to sacrifice textures to lower more vram. This is bullshit really. I am using "high 8gb vram" option. They labeled it like that.
Oh man I really lack patience for this.... I just downloaded the game and played on ps5 with no issues yesterday.

btw. FSR 2.0 is not giving the fps results like in similar games and I am not cpu limited (only up to 20%), so I am not sure what's up.
Another thing I've noticed is that fps is not smooth and I see a lot of vrr oled flicker because of this. Probably it's hitching a bit more because of lack of vram.

so yeah... I know I just have to lower more settings but I don't like it. The game is already looking crunchy af with fsr 2.0. Will just try 1440p withhout fsr.
Tu03JLx.jpg

Sorry man I have a 3080 but use a 1440p monitor. Played through the demo a few times on my PC, only suffered one crash during the village.

rofif

Played through the demo in one go, zero crashes. Not every PC gamer has the same issues.
Did you play the demo with Rivatuner on, to see if your vram was maxing out?. Seen some people say vram maxing out can cause the demo to crash.

That is probably lack of vram. Lower some settings, especially texture resolution.
While playing, at 1440p FSR Quality, the game used up to 14GB.

Sorry man I have a 3080 but use a 1440p monitor. Played through the demo a few times on my PC, only suffered one crash during the village.
Just tried with 1440p (max settings, no fsr) and it still crashed few seconds later.
Madflavor Madflavor you used fsr with that 1440p?
I also notice that fsr 2.0 is not working as it should. The game look WAY better with just 1440p compared to 4k with fsr2.0 balanced at 4k. Fsr should look better

Stuart360

I also notice that fsr 2.0 is not working as it should. The game look WAY better with just 1440p compared to 4k with fsr2.0 balanced at 4k. Fsr should look better
Talked about this earlier in the thread.
Native 1080p with TAA looked way cleaner and sharper than 1440p, and even 1620p, with FSR.

Drizzlehell

Tu03JLx.jpg
Just let GeForce Experience automatically set the best profile and play the damn demo as any normal person would. I don't know why people even bother tweaking those settings for 5 hours if the resulting difference is barely noticeable even if you're looking hard, not to mention trying to pay attention to it in the middle of the action, lol.

The demo is literally 15-20 minutes long. You'll spend more time bullshitting around in the menus than actually playing it.

RobRSG

FXu06zA.jpg

How about either turning off RT, or using the RT preset? Max settings won’t do for you.

rofif

Just let GeForce Experience automatically set the best profile and play the damn demo as any normal person would. I don't know why people even bother tweaking those settings for 5 hours if the resulting difference is barely noticeable even if you're looking hard, not to mention trying to pay attention to it in the middle of the action, lol.

The demo is literally 15-20 minutes long. You'll spend more time bullshitting around in the menus than actually playing it.
I've finished the demo on ps5. Wanted to give it a go on pc to decide on my purchase.
I don't use geforce experience. It's automaticsettings are cancer. I always set my stuff myself

How about either turning off RT, or using the RT preset? Max settings won’t do for you.
About to try Rt off. rt normal, 1440p still crashing.
I don't understand how 10gb of vram is not enough. The game is not doing anything special. Capcom really have no idea how to manage running the game inside vram limits.
Maybe 16gb of ram is a problem but I doubt it. nothing uses ram

Stuart360

I wish ps5 games didn't use fsr 2.0... It all just looks crunchy as you say
Honestly if you havent tried already, try the PC version at like 1440p with TAA, no FSR or DLSS.
It might save some precious system resources too. It seems they have natural sharpening for the TAA, it looks super clean and sharp for me anyway, even at native 1080p.

Madflavor

Just tried with 1440p (max settings, no fsr) and it still crashed few seconds later.
Madflavor Madflavor you used fsr with that 1440p?

I just booted the game back up and checked my Graphics Settings. I have FSR disabled. If you think it could help, I can take some screenshots and show you my settings?

Stuart360

I've finished the demo on ps5. Wanted to give it a go on pc to decide on my purchase.
I don't use geforce experience. It's automaticsettings are cancer. I always set my stuff myself

About to try Rt off. rt normal, 1440p still crashing.
I don't understand how 10gb of vram is not enough. The game is not doing anything special. Capcom really have no idea how to manage running the game inside vram limits.
Maybe 16gb of ram is a problem but I doubt it. nothing uses ram
I had the game at max ettings (no RT), and set the vram level at '6gb'.
Actual vram usage ingame on Rivatuner was around 7-7.5gb. Textures look super detailed on the 6gb option

I can imagine if you were playing at high resolution, textures set to 8gb, and RT on, your 10gb vram was probably gobbled up.

simpatico

FOV slider and this is perfect. I'm not even an FOV snob, but this is too tight. GOTY contender for me for sure. Demo is fantastic.

Nickolaidas

FXu06zA.jpg

Played the demo three times, on a 2080ti.

Didn't experience a single crash.

Also, the game looks three times better than RE2make. I have no idea what the fuck the people who claim the game 'looks like shit' are smoking. It's the best-looking RE game to date.

rofif

I just booted the game back up and checked my Graphics Settings. I have FSR disabled. If you think it could help, I can take some screenshots and show you my settings?

I had the game at max ettings (no RT), and set the vram level at '6gb'.
Actual vram usage ingame on Rivatuner was around 7-7.5gb. Textures look super detailed on the 6gb option

I can imagine if you were playing at high resolution, textures set to 8gb, and RT on, your 10gb vram was probably gobbled up.
thanks.
I just totally disabled RT and it's no longer crashing. Runs beautiful maxed out, native 4k at 50 fps and native 1440p at 80fps.
So strange why RT setting does that. it must use way more vram than it shows.
edit: gonna try playing on low but with RT enabled to see if it still crashes lol

Last edited:

Madflavor

thanks.
I just totally disabled RT and it's no longer crashing. Runs beautiful maxed out, native 4k at 50 fps and native 1440p at 80fps.
So strange why RT setting does that. it must use way more vram than it shows.
I have Ray Tracing on High. If you feel like messing around for a bit, maybe trying matching what I have to see if you still crash. Might be worth it to see if it really is just RT jacking things up:

S9fDro4.png
LRCqnuo.png

nWyP4cY.png
08WYpx6.png

PV2dFfX.png

Last edited:

Nankatsu

I already got it pre-ordered but finally got time to play with the demo.

It's amazing as I hoped. It manages to maintain that OG RE4 vibe while making it more sinister and horror oriented. The house section is such a dark improvement over the original. It's the kind of treatment I am hoping this remake gets.

Gameplay wise I felt aim a bit too heavy, but manageable after some time tweaking with settings.

Resolution mode looks and works surprisingly well on PS5. Overall, I think this is going to be one hell of a remake.

How does the parry mechanic work? Didn't get any introduction to it during the demo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

rofif

I have Ray Tracing on High. If you feel like messing around for a bit, maybe trying matching what I have to see if you still crash. Might be worth it to see if it really is just RT jacking things up:

S9fDro4.png
LRCqnuo.png

nWyP4cY.png
08WYpx6.png

PV2dFfX.png
Thanks!
I've matched your settings to test and it does not crash. get around 100fps too.
I prefer 4k maxed visuals with no RT I think.

Anyway - the important thing is that it doesn't crash.

One very weird thing. Look at my vram usage in the menu reported by the game. Same settings as yours

dibM5eq.png

Top Bottom